HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thrasher support and recruiting

Old
05-21-2011, 10:04 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Thrashers fans will always have a home with the Preds if the team moves from Atlanta.

But fight for your team and find a way to keep the Thrashers in town.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I don't want the Thrashers to leave, but this is make or break time. A grass roots surge and the discovery of an owner is the only thing that can save this team. I hope all Thrasher fans are able to withstand whatever is about to occur. If by some chance the team is moved, then feel free to join Predator nation. This may be one of the most classy and humble organizations from management to the team to the fans in all of sports. We would love to have you. If the team stays, I hope a solid owner with better management is finally found.

05-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Thrashers fans will always have a home with the Preds if the team moves from Atlanta.

But fight for your team and find a way to keep the Thrashers in town.
Like a bare knuckles street brawl? Who do we fight? The League? Bettman? Canada?

I'm a season ticket holder, I go on road trips, I bring friends to games. I've called into talk shows and emailed everyone I can think of. I'm going to this SHAM of a "select a seat." Really what else can we do?

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 10:50 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
Like a bare knuckles street brawl? Who do we fight? The League? Bettman? Canada?

I'm a season ticket holder, I go on road trips, I bring friends to games. I've called into talk shows and emailed everyone I can think of. I'm going to this SHAM of a "select a seat." Really what else can we do?
I don't know the names, damned autism, but from what I have seen from a distance

1) Show you give a damn. Rally, vote with your feet. Find organizers who are willing to sacrifice

2) Hope you find a local with deep pockets and friends with deep pockets. Call people you know who know people with cash. Play the network game.

3) Find a way to get the local media on your side and use their connections.

4) Hope the NHL is on your side. If not then it will be difficult but you keep going

5) If all of the above work, then comes the part that is difficult, continue what you were doing. 90% of success is showing up but you have to keep showing up.

Some of the more prominent members of the Preds fan base like Pattypred, Slake, Pred303guy and ask if they know who was instrumental in the fight for the Preds and get their tips.

And know this. Even if you and the Thrasher fans do everything right, you may still lose the team. But at least you can look in the mirror and say, 'I did something.'

Old
05-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I don't know the names, damned autism, but from what I have seen from a distance

1) Show you give a damn. Rally, vote with your feet. Find organizers who are willing to sacrifice

2) Hope you find a local with deep pockets and friends with deep pockets. Call people you know who know people with cash. Play the network game.

3) Find a way to get the local media on your side and use their connections.

4) Hope the NHL is on your side. If not then it will be difficult but you keep going

5) If all of the above work, then comes the part that is difficult, continue what you were doing. 90% of success is showing up but you have to keep showing up.

Some of the more prominent members of the Preds fan base like Pattypred, Slake, Pred303guy and ask if they know who was instrumental in the fight for the Preds and get their tips.

And know this. Even if you and the Thrasher fans do everything right, you may still lose the team. But at least you can look in the mirror and say, 'I did something.'
The sad reality of this situation is that there is little for Thrashers fans to do in this case. It is not a matter of support because ASG is completely tone deaf and doesn't care in the slightest. ASG are basketball guys. They do not want hockey in the arena taking up dates. They are not even fairly negotiating with anyone local for the Thrashers because they signed an exclusive rights deal with a potential owner that is only interested in the Hawks and the arena. Essentially ASG is telling interested local parties that they are free to bid on the Thrashers, but if they want to keep them in Atlanta then they will have to negotiate a lease as an arena tenant and would recieve only a fraction (if any) of the arena revenue streams generated by the team. Obviously that is not a feasible business model.

Bottom line is that ASG doesn't want hockey in Atlanta. They've set about this to drive the team out of town and will make sure that the Hawks and the arena are sold to local investors, but are taking the Thrashers and putting them out to the highest bidder, which of course comes from Canada.

I'm personally sickened for Thrashers fans. I grew up in Hartford as a diehard Whalers fan and know exactly what it's like to get jerked around by ownership. It sucks. There are no winners in a franchise relocation, none at all.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:17 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The sad reality of this situation is that there is little for Thrashers fans to do in this case. It is not a matter of support because ASG is completely tone deaf and doesn't care in the slightest. ASG are basketball guys. They do not want hockey in the arena taking up dates. They are not even fairly negotiating with anyone local for the Thrashers because they signed an exclusive rights deal with a potential owner that is only interested in the Hawks and the arena. Essentially ASG is telling interested local parties that they are free to bid on the Thrashers, but if they want to keep them in Atlanta then they will have to negotiate a lease as an arena tenant and would recieve only a fraction (if any) of the arena revenue streams generated by the team. Obviously that is not a feasible business model.
That I hadn't heard about.

Old
05-21-2011, 11:19 AM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

Quote:

Bottom line is that ASG doesn't want hockey in Atlanta. They've set about this to drive the team out of town and will make sure that the Hawks and the arena are sold to local investors, but are taking the Thrashers and putting them out to the highest bidder, which of course comes from Canada.

I'm personally sickened for Thrashers fans. I grew up in Hartford as a diehard Whalers fan and know exactly what it's like to get jerked around by ownership. It sucks. There are no winners in a franchise relocation, none at all.
Yep. This. You hit the nail on the head. ASG has done everything in their power to ensure that hockey can't survive in this city. They have effectively killed it, and have refused, from the very beginning to negotiate in good faith. Most of the sponsorship deals are negotiated with the arena first, and then they trickle down to the teams. That's why so many of us question their books; there's no doubt that they're cooked.

The biggest mistake Thrashers fans made was thinking, even for a second, that ASG would respond to the fan revolt by actually trying to improve the product. We sent emails, we told ticket reps why we wouldn't renew until we had a better product, or at the very least, until Waddell was sacked. If they had just hired Dudley after the playoff debacle, we wouldn't be in this mess. He's done a great job in the one year he had. Unfortunately, this played directly into ASG's plans of chasing hockey out of the city in favor of their beloved basketball team. Most Thrashers fans now hate the Hawks by proxy; they're the favorite son.

I'm going to join PredsNation.

RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:45 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Yeah, I'm sitting here looking at the half season plan for section 303.... The Nashville season ticket holder benefits are AMAZING....

....in Atlanta, all you got was an email asking to renew and Bruce Levinson telling you to "Deal with it"

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
Yeah, I'm sitting here looking at the half season plan for section 303.... The Nashville season ticket holder benefits are AMAZING....

....in Atlanta, all you got was an email asking to renew and Bruce Levinson telling you to "Deal with it"
If the Predators make the playoffs, and you are able to snag playoff tickets at the price of the season ticket (or partial season ticket) plans, the payoff is amazing. The customer service reps are amazing too. I have been in VA for four years, and I am just now getting back to TN for residency training. Anywho, the customer service representatives still take my call, and they still hook me up with fantastic seats whenever I need it. This is a class organization. We had one bad egg, Craig Liarpold, and with him out of the picture, this organization is fantastic.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:

I'll tell you this. We are blessed with a local ownership group that has no egos and truly are in it to make the Predators part of the fabric of the community. Our owners walk the concourse, sit in the stands, and are never too busy to talk with the common fans. When you thank them for their contributions to making the Predators thrive here in Nashville, they immediately defer and thank you for supporting the team.

The best decision made this entire season wasn't keeping Jon Blum instead of trading him or any other player personnel move, it was Tom Cigarran deciding that he didn't want to run the team from his position as Chairman, instead he set out to hire someone that was at the top of their field and would truly be committed to building the Predators and Bridgestone Arena into leaders in their fields. In that quest to hire a single man for the job he found two and hired them both. The acquistions of Jeff Cogen and Sean Henry to lead the Nashville Predators and Bridgestone Arena were the best moves of the last offseason.

In the hour after we were eliminated I got the opportunity to speak to Sean Henry for the first time out on the concourse. He was very gracious, he clearly was disappointed that the season was over, but he clearly had his mind going a million miles an hour on what to do when he got in the office the next morning to make sure that we build on this experience and keep getting better. Henry is incredibly passionate about his job and told me that due to how late in the summer they were hired, they were playing catch up for most of the first half of the year...they only really started putting their fingerprints on the product during the season and still have a lot of ideas left to introduce.

I don't mean to gloat, but I'm just letting folks know that these two franchises are in polar opposite positions here.

My most memorable experience with the Thrashers front office was a couple years ago when I was coaching and went to Atlanta for a tournament at the Cooler. In the lobby of this 2 ice and 1 roller hockey facility they had a table set up for with 3 reps from the Hawks and Thrashers to provide info on tickets, etc. On my way in I noticed it, but had just arrived at the arena and really never paid any attention to it. After our game, I was waiting in the lobby and saw the table again so I went over to inquire if there was a Thrashers game that night at the arena because we were off till the next morning. I asked the reps...they looked at each other dumbfounded. They didn't know. They proceeded to start scrambling through the literature on the table...there were no Thrashers schedules. The 30+ yo rep pulled out his phone and stepped away from the table as the other two were still searching around for the answer. I pulled out my non-smart phone and got online. I informed them 30 seconds later that the Thrashers were indeed playing that evening, however the game was on Long Island and their next home game was on Tuesday.

That's just a single example of the level of service Thrashers fans have had to deal with with ASG in charge...

Old
05-21-2011, 12:36 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

That anecdote about your experience with reps in Atlanta is eerily familiar to how the team seemed to be run under Leipold. I just never really got the sense that anyone really cared about growing the game. People seemed satisfied that we had the team, and that was that. I guess that' attitude is STILL better than ASG as they are blatantly trying to kill hockey in Atlanta.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:39 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Maybe this is an odd thing to say since it's from quite a long time ago and doesn't have much to do with the Thrashers moving but: I still have my Kovalchuk Army T-shirt from many years ago. I still wear it with pride and my wife wears hers every now and then.

Please don't give up the fight to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Reviled
Partisan

Quote:
I'll tell you this. We are blessed with a local ownership group that has no egos and truly are in it to make the Predators part of the fabric of the community. Our owners walk the concourse, sit in the stands, and are never too busy to talk with the common fans. When you thank them for their contributions to making the Predators thrive here in Nashville, they immediately defer and thank you for supporting the team.

This. Tom Cigarran sits a half dozen rows behind me, across the aisle. Always accessible, always friendly, and is just as bummed if the Preds lose a game; and for the same reasons as us 'regular' fans of the team. The first year of the current ownership group, one of the owners introduced himself after a game (he sat in the same section) and offered to get Erat to sign a puck shot over the glass and I caught - straight out of the blue. Great owners because they're great fans, too.

The best decision made this entire season wasn't keeping Jon Blum instead of trading him or any other player personnel move, it was Tom Cigarran deciding that he didn't want to run the team from his position as Chairman, instead he set out to hire someone that was at the top of their field and would truly be committed to building the Predators and Bridgestone Arena into leaders in their fields. In that quest to hire a single man for the job he found two and hired them both. The acquistions of Jeff Cogen and Sean Henry to lead the Nashville Predators and Bridgestone Arena were the best moves of the last offseason.

I believe this is why the current owners are succeeding and will continue to succeed; whereas the prior owner is now inexorably running the once-healthy Minnesota Wild franchise into the ground.
ASG for the Fail.

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 06:42 PM
AEM6729

This totally sucks for Thrashers fans. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have nobody in power standing up for the team you love...not even the NHL itself. You'd think the NHL would at least force the ownership group to negotiate in good faith to protect the integrity of the team and the rest of the NHL's franchises for that matter, but it seems like nobody really cares, and the fans are getting screwed.

We're very lucky to have the ownership situation we have here in Nashville. I can't completely hate on Leipold though...I hate him for the fire sale that came once he decided to sell the team, but at the same time he is the one that brought hockey to Nashville in the first place and hired Poile, who then hired Trotz. Plus when I was 12 I met him in the elevator at a game and introduced myself, and he took me down to the locker room and got me an autographed game-used Vokoun stick, so now I'm a little biased, haha. Leipold wasn't the best business guy in the world and didn't grow the organization like our current ownership group has been able to, but he is the one that brought hockey to Nashville so I'll always have to give him props for that.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 07:29 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
As slake said the. Thrash owners appear to be determined to get hockey out of atlanta, damn the fans and the nhl. Bettman will have egg on his face for allowing the ****hook owners to make the nhl look bad but he will do his best to make an omlette by appeasing the canadian factions without infringing on toronto or buffalos territorial rights the way balsilly would have.

To any thrash fans with the desire and the means to remain hockey fans, i urge you to look at the 12 game flex pack we have available. You can pick mostly weEkend games, and trust me its a great place to come up for a weekend of hockey and entertainment.

If it comes to that, let us know you are coming, and we will make sure you get introduced to all the board folk

(But i am still hoping for a miracle for you)

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 07:48 PM
adsfan

I hate to see Atlanta move. Eight years ago, Milwaukee's team was on the verge of moving. I remember that empty helpless feeling. I hope the Thrashers stay put.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 10:40 PM
KevFist
is best pony

So what are the "All Inclusive" seats? I noticed that on the ticket sales chart

Old
05-21-2011, 11:16 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
So what are the "All Inclusive" seats? I noticed that on the ticket sales chart
Those seats have access to a bar and food area not accessable to anyone else, table seating(essentially a beer garden) with draft beer amd house wine as well as a small buffet all included in th ticket price. Those tix are about 130 dollars or so.

There is another area in the shoot twice mezzanine that has soft drinks and a limited menu of arena food (hot dogs and chicken stripsn etc) included and those tix are around 55 or 60 dollar i believe

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

The All Inclusive is a section over the bandstage that is like a club. You're in the shoot twice endzone. You get your food (and this is good food, not just hotdogs and pizza--like what you'd get in the suites) house wine and draft beer as part of the ticket package. I've gotten to sit there once and it was very nice. Parking is also included, IIRC.

There is another section called the "All You Can Eat Zone" which includes hotdogs, nachos, popcorn, sodas, etc. in the price of the ticket. I sit in 315 and they're going to be doing that for my section next season but they've been doing it for 319 for awhile I think. It's not mandatory, just an extra $5 per ticket. I really like my seats. They are on the same level as the top of the club level for a lot less money.

My tickets are $40 with the All You Can Eat, but I signed up for the 2/20 plan and got mine for what they were last year, so your price may be more.

Last edited by Adz: 05-21-2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Adding ticket price.
Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
The All Inclusive is a section over the bandstage that is like a club. You're in the shoot twice endzone. You get your food (and this is good food, not just hotdogs and pizza--like what you'd get in the suites) house wine and draft beer as part of the ticket package. I've gotten to sit there once and it was very nice. Parking is also included, IIRC.

There is another section called the "All You Can Eat Zone" which includes hotdogs, nachos, popcorn, sodas, etc. in the price of the ticket. I sit in 315 and they're going to be doing that for my section next season but they've been doing it for 319 for awhile I think. It's not mandatory, just an extra $5 per ticket. I really like my seats. They are on the same level as the top of the club level for a lot less money.

My tickets are $40 with the All You Can Eat, but I signed up for the 2/20 plan and got mine for what they were last year, so your price may be more.
They've made the entire upper level in the shoot twice end an "All You Can Eat" zone starting with next season. For $5 extra per ticket you can get the family option (hot dogs, burgers, chicken, nachos, popcorn, soda, etc) and for $20 extra per ticket you get the adult option that includes the food plus draft beer and I believe wine as well (not draft obviously!).

It's the best value in the arena. Those seats are actually on the same level as the club level, but for upper level prices. I moved across the arena from 332 to 319 for next season and signed up for another 2/20 plan. That's another great deal. You commit to two years of season tickets, they take your payments and divide them over the course of 20 months. You are locked into a price for two years and get a ton of additional perks as well!

Old
05-22-2011, 12:35 AM
KevFist
is best pony

I think I'll probably do the two year plan. That's a really good deal!

Old
05-22-2011, 03:42 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
We have an almost identical phenomenon up here with Bruce Hooley. He just about refuses to talk about the Jackets for similar reasons, but will go on and on and on about OSU basketball (not football, basketball) and couldn't go ten minutes without a complaint about Eric Wedge.

He's improved a bit since then, tho. Now that Wedge manages Seattle instead of the Tribe, he only complains about the guy every twenty minutes or so.
Yeah well we all know what happened to Hooley

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakroomCrusader View Post
Yeah well we all know what happened to Hooley

Shockingly, I hadn't heard. I was one of the folks who emailed to say "**** y'all, I'm done with you guys thanks to Tooley" after that rant of his. I had no idea it actually cost him his job.

I might have to actually start listening again.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Everytime I see the screen name Cloakroom Crusader I have to laugh. That was epic. For our new readers:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...5&postcount=43

I signed up for the 2/20 and the extra $5 too. It will definitely save money when my son comes with me...not so sure about the times when I end up coming alone, but it'll even out over time.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:48 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Just lettin y'all know that it looks like Zero Hour is tomorrow at 10am Central time... Expect an ensuing influx of Atlanta fans