HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Atlanta to Winnipeg: All div realignment talk here (Winnipeg is officially back)

Old
05-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Sarava

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
After the re-alignment next year we're going to be the only O6 team in the West. I really wish they'd keep Detroit with us instead of killing our rivalry.
Yeah I 100% agree with you there. I found this from a Jesse Rogers blog last November when Chicago media met with Bettman:

* The league isn’t necessarily considering changing the schedule so all teams can play each other at home and on the road each season. Bettman said while many teams want it, many oppose it, especially in the Eastern Conference where rivalries are more pronounced and long-standing than in the West.

This really irritates me when reading this. Bettman has shown zero regard for the original 6 rivalries and has left Detroit and Chicago out on an island with regard to rivalries.

So in reading this...it sounds like he's more concered about newer rivalries like the Devils/Flyers, etc., than he is about traditional rivalries like Hawks/Habs, Hawks/Leafs, Wings/Bruins, etc.

IMO the NHL needs to wake up and realize an east and west conference isn't working or fair given the geographical locations of the NHL teams. 2/3 of the teams (or thereabouts) seem to be in the eastern half of North America. So with the eastern/western conference format, you are unfairly putting a decent number of *eastern* teams in the western conference to balance the conferences. These teams gets penalized with heavy travel schedules plus terrible start times for their fans in far too many road games.

I posted my solution a few weeks ago in another thread...or maybe it was this one, dunno. Scrap the conference setup, make 5 6-team divisions (including an original 6 division) and the top 16 teams make the playoffs. Balance the schedules, and every team can share in the travel out to California, Vancouver, Edmonton, etc.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Doesn't work

Jets history is all connected into Coyotes franchise ,, It wouldn't work to have a new Jets but all the old jets history is with Coyotes organization. Any you cant seperate the Jets history because of guys like Teppo Numeninen and others who played as much a role in coyotes as they were with Jets
I read somewhere that the NHL owns the Jets name, not the Coyotes. A similar thing worked in the NFL with the Cleveland Browns. But yeah, ultiamtely I think they will find a new name and identity.

Old
05-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Yeah I 100% agree with you there. I found this from a Jesse Rogers blog last November when Chicago media met with Bettman:

* The league isn’t necessarily considering changing the schedule so all teams can play each other at home and on the road each season. Bettman said while many teams want it, many oppose it, especially in the Eastern Conference where rivalries are more pronounced and long-standing than in the West.

This really irritates me when reading this. Bettman has shown zero regard for the original 6 rivalries and has left Detroit and Chicago out on an island with regard to rivalries.

So in reading this...it sounds like he's more concered about newer rivalries like the Devils/Flyers, etc., than he is about traditional rivalries like Hawks/Habs, Hawks/Leafs, Wings/Bruins, etc.

IMO the NHL needs to wake up and realize an east and west conference isn't working or fair given the geographical locations of the NHL teams. 2/3 of the teams (or thereabouts) seem to be in the eastern half of North America. So with the eastern/western conference format, you are unfairly putting a decent number of *eastern* teams in the western conference to balance the conferences. These teams gets penalized with heavy travel schedules plus terrible start times for their fans in far too many road games.

I posted my solution a few weeks ago in another thread...or maybe it was this one, dunno. Scrap the conference setup, make 5 6-team divisions (including an original 6 division) and the top 16 teams make the playoffs. Balance the schedules, and every team can share in the travel out to California, Vancouver, Edmonton, etc.
It's amazing how rivalries die out.

Hawks/Habs has been non-existent since the 70s/80s. In fact, most of the Habs fans I know really like the Hawks now.

Hawks/Leafs is just embers from the Norris division at this point. I'll bet most of the new Hawk fans don't even care about the Leafs.

Hawks/Wings + Bruins is totally gone.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:43 PM
RomersWorld*

*********** Hockey Break
Gary Bettman said, "The 'Jets' name (is) available".

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:50 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Doesn't work

Jets history is all connected into Coyotes franchise ,, It wouldn't work to have a new Jets but all the old jets history is with Coyotes organization. Any you cant seperate the Jets history because of guys like Teppo Numeninen and others who played as much a role in coyotes as they were with Jets
Means nothing. Under this idea, Chicago White Stockings history is "connected" to the Cubs and there can't be a second team with that name. Too bad there is, and thank God the Tribune shortened it to SOX. The new Jets can easily be named after the old Jets but hold an entirely separate history.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Everyone realizes that the BOG runs the NHL not Bettman right? He has influence but BOG dictate the league and its policies

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Means nothing. Under this idea, Chicago White Stockings history is "connected" to the Cubs and there can't be a second team with that name. Too bad there is, and thank God the Tribune shortened it to SOX. The new Jets can easily be named after the old Jets but hold an entirely separate history.
The White Sox were never the Cubs

Your argument is flawed. The Jets and there history became the Coyotes.

The White Sox have never been anything involved with Cubs

Old
05-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Sarava

Quote:

From wikipedia:
Chicago Cubs. The first professional baseball club in the city joined the National Association of Base Ball Players for the 1870 season with the nickname "White Stockings" and was a founding member of the all-professional National Association in 1871. Following the Great Chicago Fire it built a new ballpark, where it hosted baseball games for two seasons before returning to the field of play in 1874. It initiated the National League in 1876. Called the White Stockings through 1889, the nickname "Colts" supplanted "White Stockings". That club is now officially the Chicago Cubs, originally a nickname that supplanted Colts and short-lived rivals (Orphans, Remnants) in the early 1900s.

Chicago White Sox. The American League team, now officially the Chicago White Sox, entered Chicago in 1900 with permission of its crosstown competitor, one condition being that it would not take the "Chicago" city name. So it adopted the old "White Stockings" name from the glory days of its rival. After a few years that was shortened, perhaps by reporters or headline writers.[clarification needed]

Old
05-31-2011, 01:59 PM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
It's amazing how rivalries die out.

Hawks/Habs has been non-existent since the 70s/80s. In fact, most of the Habs fans I know really like the Hawks now.

Hawks/Leafs is just embers from the Norris division at this point. I'll bet most of the new Hawk fans don't even care about the Leafs.

Hawks/Wings + Bruins is totally gone.
I feel like the O6 rivalries will always exist. I always see people who feel that the original 6 teams should play more than 1 time a year. They are always almost sellouts whether it is Bruins/Hawks, Habs/Wings, Hawks/Leafs, ect.

I personally would LOVE to have Toronto rejoin our division. I know it would never happen, but I would love a Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, St. Louis, and Minnesota just like the old Norris Division. The rivalry with the Leafs would instantly be back. I've read many Leafs' fans posts that said they would take not being in a division with the Habs if it meant they were back in the Wings/Hawks division. This is just a pipe dream though. Doubtful they would move an Eastern time zone team back in the West.

I just hope they don't move the Wings East. St. Louis would be the only rivalry I would truly care about. This Canucks thing is just a fad like the Avs/Wings rivalry. I would feel completely cheated if the Wings were allowed to move East, leaving us with a ****** division. I honestly am not to concerned about Detroit being that much of a powerhouse in the upcoming years. Once their core is gone, it is too tough to build quickly with the salary cap. Especially considering how teams have to overpay to get free agents(IE Campbell, Drury, ect.) I don't want them to escape our divison/conference after the domination they put us through.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:04 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:

as Sarava's wiki copy shows, the White Stockings history in the NL in the late 1870s became the Cubs. It's the same thing. There was a team that changed its name, and then a new team named themselves after the first team's first name.

Old
05-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I feel like the O6 rivalries will always exist. I always see people who feel that the original 6 teams should play more than 1 time a year. They are always almost sellouts whether it is Bruins/Hawks, Habs/Wings, Hawks/Leafs, ect.

I personally would LOVE to have Toronto rejoin our division. I know it would never happen, but I would love a Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, St. Louis, and Minnesota just like the old Norris Division. The rivalry with the Leafs would instantly be back. I've read many Leafs' fans posts that said they would take not being in a division with the Habs if it meant they were back in the Wings/Hawks division. This is just a pipe dream though. Doubtful they would move an Eastern time zone team back in the West.

I just hope they don't move the Wings East. St. Louis would be the only rivalry I would truly care about. This Canucks thing is just a fad like the Avs/Wings rivalry. I would feel completely cheated if the Wings were allowed to move East, leaving us with a ****** division. I honestly am not to concerned about Detroit being that much of a powerhouse in the upcoming years. Once their core is gone, it is too tough to build quickly with the salary cap. Especially considering how teams have to overpay to get free agents(IE Campbell, Drury, ect.) I don't want them to escape our divison/conference after the domination they put us through.
Yeah I agree with everything here. Toronto won't ever come back west though. The only chance of being in the same division as them again is if conference formats are scrapped.

Old
05-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Araxen*

The Browns did it in the NFL and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Jets used in Winnipeg again. As long as they don't use the Thrashers(worst team name ever) I'm fine with whatever they use!

Araxen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxen View Post
The Browns did it in the NFL and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Jets used in Winnipeg again. As long as they don't use the Thrashers(worst team name ever) I'm fine with whatever they use!
The Ravens were the = to an expansion team

They left the Browns history , Uniform , etc in Cleveland

The White Sox were = an expansion team

The Cubs retained all there history ,, The Sox got none of it.

If you have the Winnipeg Jets back you will have people wanting to Jets history back including there retired #'s but that isn't something that can happen given the history is all interlocked in Coyotes history

Old
05-31-2011, 03:08 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

People would want to have a team with a name that has an identity that connects to their city more than they would want some retired numbers.

Old
05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Since it is not practical to have a Canadian Division in today’s NHL, I’d love to see an “original six” division. I doubt Bettman would understand that, and would likely dismiss the notion quickly.

As for the name of the team. I am very much in favour of keeping the Jets name but I must admit that the name Falcons has some merit, and I kinda like it.... but please not Manitoba instead of Winnipeg.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Since it is not practical to have a Canadian Division in today’s NHL, I’d love to see an “original six” division. I doubt Bettman would understand that, and would likely dismiss the notion quickly.

As for the name of the team. I am very much in favour of keeping the Jets name but I must admit that the name Falcons has some merit, and I kinda like it.... but please not Manitoba instead of Winnipeg.
The Board of Gov runs the NHL ,, Not Gary Bettman

They make those choices and agenda

Old
05-31-2011, 04:24 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post

Stealing Atlanta's team and their football name. The irony

Old
05-31-2011, 04:58 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Well, here's to a year of speculation about what the Central's going to look like moving forward.

Obviously, all the discussion will center around six teams, three that are possible additions (Minnesota, Dallas, and Colorado) and three that could possibly leave (Nashville, Columbus, and Detroit). All we know is that one of the first three will join our division, and one of the latter three will realign to the East).

Oh, and I ranked 'em from what I considered to be most likely to least likely inside each parenthesis.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:40 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Winnipeg is moving to western conference not this coming season, but the next. For this season they will remain in the southeast division and next year it'll be either Columbus or Nashville that moves to the eastern conference next year.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:47 PM
Cullksinikers

Hopefully, 2011-12 will be the last season we have to see Weber and Suter six times a year.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Yeah, I'd love to have Nashville go the other way. Would never have to feel in anyway guilty rooting for them in the POs.

Old
05-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Cullksinikers

They are so frustrating to watch us play against. The trap, the defense, and Trotz frustrates me. Their building is rowdy, too. I went down there for a game in January on a sponsored fan trip and it was completely insane.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:54 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Hopefully, 2011-12 will be the last season we have to see Weber and Suter six times a year.

I kinda like plays like this I hope Nashville stays and Columbus goes out east.