HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realigned!!! [3/7 update: CHI - COL - DAL - MIN - NSH - STL - WPG; NHLPA approves]

Old
12-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

vCash: 500
This is GREAT. Aboslutely love the teams we have and the rivalries might even be possible!!!

Happy day!

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Okay, so this thing is kinda for sure now.

Now I just hope that there will be 2 new teams announced so we would have 4x8 conferences instead of 2x8 and 2x7. Just for balance.

I don't know how this will affect on the starting times from Finnish standpoint. I kinda enjoy the California tour, can get to sleep around 10pm and wake up 5.30am to hockey. Normal starting time for Wild playing at home seems to be 3.00am and that kinda sucks, only 2.00am is worse. With 3.00 you can get some sleep before that but to 2.00am start you just kinda have to stay awake or getting up from bed might be a too big challenge.

Anyways, intresting changes and looking forward for many more matchups with Bluey brothers.

Sharppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:27 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Hell fricking yeah! And all was right with the world...

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:32 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orava View Post
Ugh.. Don't like the playoff-system at all. IMO they should do four divisions instead of four conferences and keep the playoffs as they are now.
Hell no! The old division style playoff format is how the most intense rivals are formed...I'm thrilled at their return!

Old
12-06-2011, 07:32 AM
berdush

I love the new realignment, guess our biggest rivalry will be born through Winnipeg, Dallas and St. Louis, plus having Chicago and Detroit means attraction, awsome!

berdush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:09 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post
Okay, so this thing is kinda for sure now.

Now I just hope that there will be 2 new teams announced so we would have 4x8 conferences instead of 2x8 and 2x7. Just for balance.

I don't know how this will affect on the starting times from Finnish standpoint. I kinda enjoy the California tour, can get to sleep around 10pm and wake up 5.30am to hockey. Normal starting time for Wild playing at home seems to be 3.00am and that kinda sucks, only 2.00am is worse. With 3.00 you can get some sleep before that but to 2.00am start you just kinda have to stay awake or getting up from bed might be a too big challenge.

Anyways, intresting changes and looking forward for many more matchups with Bluey brothers.
Well, I guess this is bad news for Finland. All the teams in our new conference are either in Eastern (Detroit, Columbus) or Central (everybody else) time zones. Meaning all conference games will start at 2 or 3 am your time (except afternoon games, which will be perfect for you). There will be only 4 games on the West coast (Van, Ana, LA, SJ), and 4 games in the Mountain zone (Edm, Cgy, Col, Pho).

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Persian Wild
Persia 4 Parise

oh boy, this is sooooo great! I'm very thrilled.....
but since Detroit ALWAYS make the playoffs, there are only 3 playoff spots for us to fight for! Gonna be tough, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

I was like the dancing and clapping guys in that funny iranian movie!
(00:36 - 1:00/ 1:30 - 1:59)

Last edited by Persian Wild: 12-06-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Persian Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:29 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Interesting. I was going to go looking on our new conference-mates boards. Guess I'll go say hi to the Jets and tell them I hate them
Feeling is mutual! That didn't take long.

Very happy that the Jets are back in the 81-82 version of the Norris - should make for some great rivalries. Hope that the Wild fans are happy about the better start times for games. Going to be a VERY difficult division - should be some epic rivalries formed. Looking forward to it.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:20 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

For those worried about our play against central division teams, I present Exhibit A: our record this season.

vs Central
7-0-1

vs West
15-5-2

vs East
2-2-1

We're 7-0-1 against "central" teams and 8-5-1 against other "west" teams.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:23 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Now just bring back the Norris name and all will be right in the world.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:32 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Welcome back to the Norris boys. In the words of Bart Scott: CAN'T WAIT

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Now just bring back the Norris name and all will be right in the world.
This would be the cherry on top.

Love the new realignment scenario. The West finally gets a more travel-friendly/viewer-friendly alignment and the Wild gets the divisional games in all Central or Eastern time with cities that we have had regional sports rivalries with in the past.

Now there's another reason to look forward to next year other than just Finnish Baby Jesus!

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
I p[osted this in the main forum, but I'll post it here too as it bears repeating:

One major improvement I think is that it's much more direct about making the playoffs. It won't matter in Minnesota if Eddy and Calgary play a 3 point game, because they are in a different conference.

You beat out your direct competition within the conference. Simple.

This will lead to conference games becoming hugely important almost from the get go.

It also makes the regular season somewhat more meaningful. No more finishing last in your division and still making the playoffs.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

SOOOOO pumped for this.

Wild will finally get the recognition they've been missing for 12 years. We're no longer the throw in team against Canada in the NW...we'll get to play against strong and popular teams in the central.

PLEEEASSSSEE let's ditch these ridiculous jerseys for next year and come back with some clean green and white jerseys that neither look like christmas trees or ornaments. With realignment, a new coach, and some big talent, the team could vie for a WC spot, and some better duds would help with respectability.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:35 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I keep harping on it, but I'd much rather see top 3 + 4 in the playoffs. However, I know we won't see that because of TV contracts. Ultimately, that's a little of what this is about. That's also why it's possible that the reseeding of the conference winners (they're conferences, not divisions) might not happen. A Minnesota-Colorado final would be brutal for TV ratings. Exciting hockey or not, the NYC area fans aren't going to be that inclined to watch it. Look what has happened in the World Series when "smaller" market teams make the finals. Without the East/West split, that's more likely. Even if a team like Carolina makes the final, the NYC fans are in their division, and likely know a bit about the team and its players. Those fans probably can't name 3 Avs or Wild players.

Old
12-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

PATRICK: CAR, NJD, NYI, NYR, PHI, PIT, WAS
SMYTHE: ANA, CGY, COL, EDM, LAK, PHX, SJS, VAN
ADAMS: BOS, BUF, FLA, MTL, OTT, TBL, TOR

NORRIS: CHI, CLB, DAL, DET, MIN, NSH, STL, WPG

Hmmm...

Two thoughts on playoffs:

1. Norris & Smythe play for the Campbell; Patrick & Smythe play for the Wales. Winners meet for the Cup. You have brackets that go all the way through.

2. If they re-seed after the second round I have no idea. Would be cool if there are cross-conference rivalries that you can "steal" the trophy from the other conference, and if it's intra-conference you'd play for your own title. But it would change from year to year. Might make those trophies a little more exciting though.

Or, you could give the trophy to the highest point team from the "West" and "East" and then whoever beats them in the playoffs gets to win that trophy. So you could conceivably win both AND the Cup. Bragging rights!

Old
12-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm willing to bet MIN-COL in the finals would be a lot higher ratings than MIN-FLA.

Old
12-06-2011, 10:43 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

So, the question is, at first glance who do you want to hate the most?

Winnipeg -- Closest team
St. Louis -- Very chippy games lately
Chicago -- High end team and have a history of hatred towards their sports teams
Detroit -- Sort of in the same vein as Chicago
Dallas -- That's our team. Have Ott...
Columbus-- Expansion brothers. Games have been a little chippy as well
Nashville -- Eh, can't think of a whole lot here...

For me, right now it'll probably be St. Louis. They're in a similar situation as us where they'll likely be trending up the next few years along with the Wild. Dallas is certainly a possibility... If they switch back to North Star-like sweaters and colors, then I'll absolutely loath them. Everything not nailed down would be raining upon them from my section.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I can't stand Detroit like I can't stand the Yankees. I can't stand Columbus because they're Columbus and I will get my mod privileges revoked if I start talking trash

Old
12-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

Winnipeg -- Closest team
Chicago -- High end team and have a history of hatred towards their sports teams

For me, right now it'll probably be St. Louis. They're in a similar situation as us where they'll likely be trending up the next few years along with the Wild. Dallas is certainly a possibility... If they switch back to North Star-like sweaters and colors, then I'll absolutely loath them. Everything not nailed down would be raining upon them from my section.
With Detty and Chiggy, it's kind of like the NW - the Wild have done nothing to get on their radar. Once the Wild prove they can beat those guys with regularity they should/could be the best.

Dally for obvious reasons, but it may be more one sided from our perspective.

Winny and Louie look prime for immediate gratification.

Hey, did anyone realize that the Wild are now in the same division as their 3 expansion brethren?

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:55 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:

Winnipeg -- Closest team

FYI...Chicago is closer.

Old
12-06-2011, 10:55 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

With Dallas in the division, I suppose I can wear my Norm Green Sucks memorabilia...

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
With Detty and Chiggy, it's kind of like the NW - the Wild have done nothing to get on their radar. Once the Wild prove they can beat those guys with regularity they should/could be the best.

Dally for obvious reasons, but it may be more one sided from our perspective.

Winny and Louie look prime for immediate gratification.

Hey, did anyone realize that the Wild are now in the same division as their 3 expansion brethren?
Kind of ironic actually...

Old
12-06-2011, 11:00 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Stars fan in peace, wanna say congrats on getting your wish. As we got ours too!

TBH I love our new conference, and I'm most excited to be in it with you guy because IMO I feel like we will become a great rivalry.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:01 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

Winnipeg -- Closest team

Winnipeg is too likeable right now. They're league darlings because they just "got their team back."
St. Louis has very very physical games that are great to watch, but I don't sense any ill will...yet.
Chicago has Patrick Kane, whom my fiancee loathes with the passion of a thousand burning suns.
Detroit are the worthless, spoiled rich kids of the league. I have nothing but disdain and derision for them.
Dallas won the cup with Langenbrunner so I haven't been able to dislike them.
Columbus has the Wiz...and his suspension history. They also got the Butcher suspended by hitting themselves in the face. I think that's brewing, but they're sooooooooooooo bad.
Nashville is just too likeable like Winnipeg. It's a non-traditional market that has really embraced the sport. They've made the playoffs so many times despite meager means, and have just been an absolute class act.