HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realigned!!! [3/7 update: CHI - COL - DAL - MIN - NSH - STL - WPG; NHLPA approves]

Old
12-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Andy6
Court Jetster

vCash: 500
From a Winnipeg perspective this is going to be fun! Looking forward to renewing acquaintances with the rest of the heart of the continent. Hope you'll all be able to find some tickets and come up for a visit! Jets are shaping up really well this year, but as others have said it could be tough to get into the playoffs when it's just 4/8.

Andy6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:40 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Let's say Holland pulls some magic this off-season...

They get Suter or Weber from Nashville, sign Josh Harding, and also sign Colaiacovo. They just bought several years more of being competitive....
Let's be more realistic:

Nashville re-signs Suter and Weber.

St. Louis keeps Colaiacovo.

Lidstrom retires.

Detroit signs Harding, Brodziak, Liles, and Beauchemin.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Drew Miller ($0.837m) / Kyle Brodziak ($2.150m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
John-Michael Liles ($4.200m) / Francois Beauchemin ($3.800m)
Ian White ($2.875m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS
Josh Harding ($2.000m) / Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $53,532,044; BONUSES: $247,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $10,767,956

That looks like a pretty sad roster to me. Maybe they upgrade on wing instead of bringing in both Nyquist and Tatar. If Parise isn't available, who do they pick up? Semin maybe? The UFA crop next year is pretty sad if a Nashville and a few others can hold on to their UFAs.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Keeptdos

vCash: 140
Detty is going to be the new Eddy? Just check the amount of complaining on their board. .

I feel find the realigment great. No more NW-Division, late game times and no more Eddy/Cally/Vanny. May the new waive of whiners come!

Keeptdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
So, the question is, at first glance who do you want to hate the most?
I see potential to hate every team in the new Central...
  • Nashville: I like them, but they're going to be a tough team to play against. Probably my least-hated future conference-mate.
  • Winnipeg: I like this team too, but their location will drive us to rivalry. Plus, they're the only Canadian team.
  • Chicago: Friendly rivalry with a competitive, star-driven team. We share rivalry history, the city is close, and they have Leddy.
  • Detroit: Likely the most arrogant team, but their team backs that attitude up with an exemplary track record. They'll have a target on their backs.
  • St. Louis: Tough, competitive team which we share rivalry history with. Games against them are always physical and exciting. Also, lots of Minnesota connections; our announcers will love it.
  • Dallas: They stole our team! Seriously, though. They're an up-and-coming team who we're all too familiar with. They have some great talent and exceptionally annoying players.
  • Columbus: This is where the true, actual hatred will likely stem from. We're already building a rivalry of sorts with Columbus because of player injuries and suspensions. Also, since expansion, Columbus has resented us because we've received more attention. I see them going down the Edmonton path; tanking this season and acquiring some star-power. Teams with #1 picks are always easy to hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
PLEEEASSSSEE let's ditch these ridiculous jerseys for next year and come back with some clean green and white jerseys that neither look like christmas trees or ornaments. With realignment, a new coach, and some big talent, the team could vie for a WC spot, and some better duds would help with respectability.
Yes, please! Reinvent the team's appearance along with the realignment, plus we'll be getting an injection of new players from our prospect pool essentially making this team relevant again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsquare View Post
Detroit is the perfect balance for the Oilers. They can complain about how they have no interest in games against us and then Harding will go in and shut them down every game.
I wonder if this will effect Harding's future with the Wild... Y'know, since he's the only goalie we can play against them.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
I don't think anyone truly appreciates what happened here.

It's the -y meme at work.

1. Wild are #1 in the NHL
2. NHL realigns to favor the Wild
3. ??????
Next stop is winter classic

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Winnipeg Fan here, I'm really likeing us being in the same division as you guys.

I was just in town for the Vikings / Broncos game (and dropped more money at Sheiks than I would care to admit ) as a buddy of mine has season tickets. I could see some great Football / Hockey / Basketball road trips for Winnipeggers.

Congrats on the great start for you guys!

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wish I had season tickets to Sheiks. Oh wait, no I don't...

FWIW the "show bars" I went to in Canada were a billion times better than they are around here. Girls were way more attractive and hung out and talked/drank with us the whole time. Not heroin/coke addicts.

ANYWAYS.

I seriously think we could challenge for a WC spot in the next few. Obviously the league wants to keep rotating the NBC teams (DET, CHI, WAS, PIT, PHI, BOS, NYR) but maybe we can sneak in and host Detroit or Chicago?

If that's the case we may have these ugly jerseys for a couple more years and then get a throwback for the game and use that as an alternate and then make it a main jersey.

I just wish they'd freshen up the greens, choose a lighter shade, put a real logo on it, and drop the reds.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:39 PM
forthewild

iirc there has never been a east vs west format, next year

Wild host the Pittsburgh penguins, seriously pretty good connections between the two organizations, plus pens bring the star power needed, anything with crosby will well

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

As ridiculous as the WC is, I don't think they can feature Crosby three times in 6-7 years.

My guess is, since they like to tag on to football and baseball so much, it'd either be:

- Target Field hosting the Hawks because of the Twins-Sox
- Lambeau hosting Minnesota and Detroit because of Lambeau

Old
12-06-2011, 12:53 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
As ridiculous as the WC is, I don't think they can feature Crosby three times in 6-7 years.

My guess is, since they like to tag on to football and baseball so much, it'd either be:

You underestimate how much they want to sell Crosby. I think it's entirely possible.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:57 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
There used to be a huge contingent on the Wild official Message Boards, but apparently things kind of degenerated over there. Our little group here has been growing like mad. Lots of people migrating over from those boards, and a decent number of Finnish fans have shown up as of late. We're still one of the more tight-knit and casual boards on HF though. Also a decent number of us on Twitter.
At this point, I think it's safe to say HF is the largest Wild message board and collection of fans.

Quote:
I can't stand Detroit like I can't stand the Yankees. I can't stand Columbus because they're Columbus and I will get my mod privileges revoked if I start talking trash
Same although it doesn't help I was a casual Colorado fan during the black period in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
Stars fan in peace, wanna say congrats on getting your wish. As we got ours too!

TBH I love our new conference, and I'm most excited to be in it with you guy because IMO I feel like we will become a great rivalry.
You stole our team - it's on like Donkey Kong!

Quote:
So excited for this, we have it all.
Rivals within driving distance? Check
Teams with bad blood? Check
The (North) Stars rivalry? Check
A "rivalry" we can snub our noses at (not that we would of course) while they insist they hate Clutterbuck? Check (CBJ)
Some star power/O6 draw? Check
Games we don't have to stay up until midnight or later to watch? Check

The only problem is that we're going to lose a bunch of points not being able to beat up on Eddy six times a year.
They'll be good soon. Honestly, Edmonton deserves to be after how well they've gone through dark times.

Quote:

I can't see a neutral site game; especially one which has both teams travelling 6-10 hours and a city which both fanbases hate.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
A Minnesota vs NY Rangers final would be just... perfect.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd say our dream of a Minneh - Josey final is coming close!

Old
12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Meh, they're hockey's elitests. What can you really do, can't argue with their success. Only that they ripped off Warroad's Hockeytown USA.
Anyone who has spent any time in Minnesota knows that Detroit sure as hell aint hockeytown.

Quote:
So excited for this, we have it all.
Rivals within driving distance? Check
Teams with bad blood? Check
The (North) Stars rivalry? Check
A "rivalry" we can snub our noses at (not that we would of course) while they insist they hate Clutterbuck? Check (CBJ)
Some star power/O6 draw? Check
Games we don't have to stay up until midnight or later to watch? Check

The only problem is that we're going to lose a bunch of points not being able to beat up on Eddy six times a year.
Weve got all those points coming back to us from Jacky. Theyre consistently terrible, and were starting to hate them, so were just gonna crush them. And if Detroit gets weaker in a year or two like I think they will, they could easily find themselves in a "league punching bag" position for a few years while they are forced to draft well because suddenly all those all-star free agents dont want to sign with a loser.

Quote:
I'd say our dream of a Minneh - Josey final is coming close!
This. This. A thousand times this.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Wueste

The playoff format reminds me of the NCAA hockey tournament with 4 "regionals" being each conference and the regional champion moving on to the frozen four. The only difference is that the regional participants are set beforehand and not seeded based on a ranking system.

You can also think of it as a 2-series conference championship with the winner earning the right to play a 2-series NHL championship, sort of like if the CHL had four leagues instead of three.

Wueste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
At this point, I think it's safe to say HF is the largest Wild message board and collection of fans.
Since it is holiday season and I am feeling somewhat nice, I feel the need to give GS props. While everyone here has made this board better, GS was the one who really got it going. I don't know if it was the one-man thread, his consistency in providing daily news, or that he paid you all to come here...but he did a great job.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:39 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
Since it is holiday season and I am feeling somewhat nice, I feel the need to give GS props. While everyone here has made this board better, GS was the one who really got it going. I don't know if it was the one-man thread, his consistency in providing daily news, or that he paid you all to come here...but he did a great job.
That's all I'm gonna say.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Between GopherState and the Finnish Baby Jesus, we've attracted attention from around the globe despite all odds.

So GS, you got a cure for cancer yet?

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:08 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Between GopherState and the Finnish Baby Jesus, we've attracted attention from around the globe despite all odds.

So GS, you got a cure for cancer yet?
Haha thanks guys.

No cure for cancer yet. I've spent most of my time working on Zooey.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:14 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Haha thanks guys.

No cure for cancer yet. I've spent most of my time working on Zooey.
I must not be up on all the hip slang these days.

Old
12-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
Speaking of... I've been meaning to ask for a raise.

I'm new, prone to bumping threads without looking post dates, and generally provide non-substantial information, but I feel that I bring color-commentary to the table.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Speaking of... I've been meaning to ask for a raise.

I'm new, prone to bumping threads without looking post dates, and generally provide non-substantial information, but I feel that I bring color-commentary to the table.
Greenlay's got nothing on you buddy.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Surly Furious

Doing some advance scouting on future division rivals Louie and Wingy on VS. tonight. Had the happy thought of the Wild knocking Bertuzzi out of the playoffs in the near future.

Old
12-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Shimoe

What pisses me off is why the Western Conf teams have to endure an extra team when Columbus or Nashville could easily go over to even up the number.

Shimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:19 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimoe View Post
What pisses me off is why the Western Conf teams have to endure an extra team when Columbus or Nashville could easily go over to even up the number.
There are no eastern and western conferences.