HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Realigned!!! [3/7 update: CHI - COL - DAL - MIN - NSH - STL - WPG; NHLPA approves]

Old
12-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Doing some advance scouting on future division rivals Louie and Wingy on VS. tonight. Had the happy thought of the Wild knocking Bertuzzi out of the playoffs in the near future.
Butcher could always go Bertuzzi on his ass....

I dont know if that was funny or not

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:48 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

vCash: 500
I wont be able to put off homework till 12am nearly as much. Can't decide whether thats a good thing or bad. I do my best work when I'm under pressure and half asleep haha

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:54 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
I wont be able to put off homework till 12am nearly as much. Can't decide whether thats a good thing or bad. I do my best work when I'm under pressure and half asleep haha
You certainly aren't the only one.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:44 AM
nickschultzfan

I live in the Eastern time zone. So excited about the new conferences once I got over the fact that the conferences aren't equal.

So many more games in the eastern and central time zone!!

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:37 PM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

I know no one on this board was saying it, but many Eastern fans were trying to downplay travel in the west, and this refutes that fairly well.

Quote:
Added defenseman Mike Lundin, a former Tampa Bay Lightning: "I've noticed being in the Northwest, it wears on you and you feel pretty beat after a 10-day road trip."
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/135149443.html

Still excited about next year. New conferences and tons of new young talent!

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:52 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
I know no one on this board was saying it, but many Eastern fans were trying to downplay travel in the west, and this refutes that fairly well.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/135149443.html

Still excited about next year. New conferences and tons of new young talent!
I wonder if that has any impact upon the free agency market. It often seems that the marquee free agents like to gravitate to northeastern teams. That's always written off as the draw of NYC, or hockey's Mecca and Medina in Toronto and Montreal. It's not unrealistic to think that maybe easy travel schedules and sleeping in your own bed plays a role.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I wonder if that has any impact upon the free agency market. It often seems that the marquee free agents like to gravitate to northeastern teams. That's always written off as the draw of NYC, or hockey's Mecca and Medina in Toronto and Montreal. It's not unrealistic to think that maybe easy travel schedules and sleeping in your own bed plays a role.
And we know where Parise's bed will be located...

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:38 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
From a Winnipeg perspective this is going to be fun! Looking forward to renewing acquaintances with the rest of the heart of the continent. Hope you'll all be able to find some tickets and come up for a visit! Jets are shaping up really well this year, but as others have said it could be tough to get into the playoffs when it's just 4/8.
I don't think you could hand pick the potential rivalries any better from a purely Minnesota standpoint (maybe sub the Avs in for the Preds). Getting a northern front with the Jets is icing on the cake.

I'm curious, how do you Jets fans feel about Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver only coming in once per season?

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:55 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar View Post
I don't think you could hand pick the potential rivalries any better from a purely Minnesota standpoint (maybe sub the Avs in for the Preds). Getting a northern front with the Jets is icing on the cake.

I'm curious, how do you Jets fans feel about Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver only coming in once per season?
i'm going to guess a lot of them would like to see other Canadian teams more often but for the most part they're all still just stoked to have an NHL team so won't complain about it too much.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I see potential to hate every team in the new Central...
  • Nashville: I like them, but they're going to be a tough team to play against. Probably my least-hated future conference-mate.
  • Winnipeg: I like this team too, but their location will drive us to rivalry. Plus, they're the only Canadian team.
  • Chicago: Friendly rivalry with a competitive, star-driven team. We share rivalry history, the city is close, and they have Leddy.
  • Detroit: Likely the most arrogant team, but their team backs that attitude up with an exemplary track record. They'll have a target on their backs.
  • St. Louis: Tough, competitive team which we share rivalry history with. Games against them are always physical and exciting. Also, lots of Minnesota connections; our announcers will love it.
  • Dallas: They stole our team! Seriously, though. They're an up-and-coming team who we're all too familiar with. They have some great talent and exceptionally annoying players.
  • Columbus: This is where the true, actual hatred will likely stem from. We're already building a rivalry of sorts with Columbus because of player injuries and suspensions. Also, since expansion, Columbus has resented us because we've received more attention. I see them going down the Edmonton path; tanking this season and acquiring some star-power. Teams with #1 picks are always easy to hate.

I see it like this.

St. Louis- I think it's the team most likely to develop a rivalry amongst the players. The games are entertaining and there's a definite chippiness to them. The last one felt almost on the verge of tipping over the edge in terms of frustration for the Blues.

Dallas- The team in the division I'm most excited about. I'm new to the Wild, but I'm old enough to remember going to North Stars games. If they'd stayed it wouldn't have taken an NBA lockout for me to pay attention to the NHL. I'm still a bit perturbed by them leaving. Plus, I already hate the Cowboys, and the Wolves and Mavs had a bit of a rivalry in some of the KG/Dirk overlap.

Chicago- The fans I'm most excited about joining a division with. There's a rivalry in the Big Ten, MLB, NFL, and now NHL, and most of the people I went to college with are either from Chicago or live there now. Plus, the Blackhawks have star power and Kane will be fun to hate.

Winnipeg- I feel like Minnesota-Manitoba is a potentially awesome untapped rivalry, they're kindred spirits when it comes to losing a team, and there will eventually be resentment since they have their original name.

Columbus- There's a rivalry in the MLB and Big Ten, and the Butcher incident resulted in some fantastically delusional comments by their fans (and coach) early in the year. There's rivalry potential, but it depends on the on ice product improving.

Detroit- I don't care much about the team, but it looks like a vocal portion of their fans are d-bags with a hefty sense of entitlement. I can't believe they think we're excited about this just because we're with them. Tools. It would be hilarious if they fell off for a bit and were conference punching bags for a spell. There's also a rivalry in the Big Ten, MLB, and NFL already.

Nashville- No rivalries across other sports, which is unfortunate, and it isn't a traditional regional rivalry like the rest of the conference (sans Winnipeg, but proximity's on their side). If Nashville continues to make the playoffs and the Wild start doing so, there could be something there.

I think that overall the new conference is absolutely perfect for the Wild, and really nobody in the conference should be complaining (Detty fans lacking common sense notwithstanding). It's going to be impossible for teams who make the playoffs consistently to not develop/maintain rivalries. That and the home and home with the rest of the league makes this new system a huge step forward for the NHL overall.

Averman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Avder
Is only game.

Detroit I could really take or leave. Its Winnipeg, Chicago, St. Louis, and Dallas I'm excited to hate. And to a lesser extent, Columbus. Nothing like a less fortunate sibling to pick on.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

The HF fanbase for the Wings just looks like it will be fun to watch the Wild troll. The team itself I could take or leave being in the conference.

Pretty much all these opinions could change if the 2 round conference playoff is kept. That should kick rivalries up a notch. Not only will these teams see each other 5-6 times a year, they could be meeting in the playoffs regularly. That's awesome.

Averman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:25 PM
sushinsky4tsar

I get that its a home-away against everyone outside of your divisio--- errr conference. I get that the playoffs will be seeded 1 to 4 in each grouping and the first two rounds will take place in-conference/division.

To me that's still a division, just like it was in 1990. I won't feel like the Wild just won a conference championship when they win their first two playoff series. that's emerging from the divisional playoff.

It seems like the only real reason to use the "four conference" terminology is that the NHL is really intent on doing a complete mix-and-match with the final four teams.

Maybe some people like the idea of a Stanley Cup between any two teams (Bruins vs. Habs). I guess I'm in the boat that would prefer just to have four divisions, with the two westernmost divisions playing for the banner of a Western (or Campbell/whatever) Conference championship. Then a West vs. East final as it has always been.

I get the novelty of reseeding. I just feel like the existing history and efficiency of travel trumps it. Thoughts?

Old
12-08-2011, 10:13 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Does anybody else think that this might be the first step towards a new round of expansion? A 32-team league would be a lot more symmetrical in this format, even if it's five years out.

I never thought it was right that the NL Central has to win a 6-team division while the AL West only has three competitors. Granted 4/7 vs. 4/8 isn't huge, but it's not insignificant.

How would you guys feel about a 20 team playoff where the 5 and 4 seeds play a one-game playoff? I'm not necessarily advocating, but it would probably be good for ratings.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
I get that its a home-away against everyone outside of your divisio--- errr conference. I get that the playoffs will be seeded 1 to 4 in each grouping and the first two rounds will take place in-conference/division.

To me that's still a division, just like it was in 1990. I won't feel like the Wild just won a conference championship when they win their first two playoff series. that's emerging from the divisional playoff.

It seems like the only real reason to use the "four conference" terminology is that the NHL is really intent on doing a complete mix-and-match with the final four teams.

Maybe some people like the idea of a Stanley Cup between any two teams (Bruins vs. Habs). I guess I'm in the boat that would prefer just to have four divisions, with the two westernmost divisions playing for the banner of a Western (or Campbell/whatever) Conference championship. Then a West vs. East final as it has always been.

I get the novelty of reseeding. I just feel like the existing history and efficiency of travel trumps it. Thoughts?
I think the greater possible variety of Stanley Cup Finals matchups trumps the east vs west tradition. It should be the two best teams that play for the cup, regardless of if theyre both from the west, or both from the east, period. Tradition should be no obstacle to good cup matchups.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Does anybody else think that this might be the first step towards a new round of expansion? A 32-team league would be a lot more symmetrical in this format, even if it's five years out.

I never thought it was right that the NL Central has to win a 6-team division while the AL West only has three competitors. Granted 4/7 vs. 4/8 isn't huge, but it's not insignificant.

How would you guys feel about a 20 team playoff where the 5 and 4 seeds play a one-game playoff? I'm not necessarily advocating, but it would probably be good for ratings.
I think expansion to 32 teams in the next few years is a given the way the league will be set up. The big question for next season tho is where do the Yotes land.

And I dont like the idea of a 20 team playoff. I DO however like the potential for crossover rules like the AHL has, or possibly a 1 game playoff if a #5 team in one division has a better record than the #4 team of another division.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:20 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Allegedly, one of the GMs brought up a 3 game, #5 v #4 play in, but it was very poorly received by the BoG.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Allegedly, one of the GMs brought up a 3 game, #5 v #4 play in, but it was very poorly received by the BoG.
Yeah. Stuff like that is probably one of those ideas that Bettman is going to have to find a way around the BoG for it to get through, assuming he even cares about the idea.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:29 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

No play in game is needed. I think the 4 from each conference is just fine.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
No play in game is needed. I think the 4 from each conference is just fine.
You'll think differently one year if the Wild are a #5 team with a much better record than some other divisions #4.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
You'll think differently one year if the Wild are a #5 team with a much better record than some other divisions #4.
But what's the big difference between that, and the #9 team in the West being the 7th best team in the East right now?

I actually like this system, regardless of the fact that we have 8 teams in the conference.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:25 AM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I think the greater possible variety of Stanley Cup Finals matchups trumps the east vs west tradition. It should be the two best teams that play for the cup, regardless of if theyre both from the west, or both from the east, period. Tradition should be no obstacle to good cup matchups.
Yeah, I can definitely see that side of it. If it goes that way I hope the NHL establishes a set format (#1 vs #4 ) rather than a "random" draw. I have a feeling this might be opening the doors for a lot of east coast bias and Original Six favoritism controversy. A couple of questions (w/ attempted answers):

1) The winners of the first two rounds are now called the "conference champions". What did the top seed from that conference do (let's say they were eliminated)? They didn't win their conference. They didn't win their division. Did they accomplish anything banner worthy? "Regular Season Conference Champion"? Who was considered the division winner in the old days (reg season or postseason)?

2) The four "conference champions" play each other. What do the winners of this third round claim? A Stanley Cup Semi-final Championship?

3) What happens to the Campbell and Wales trophies. Retired? Assigned to a conference with two additional trophies created?

I know it's all language and pageantry and has nothing to do with the actual play. It will be interesting to see how the NHL navigates these issues.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Yeah, I can definitely see that side of it. If it goes that way I hope the NHL establishes a set format (#1 vs #4 ) rather than a "random" draw. I have a feeling this might be opening the doors for a lot of east coast bias and Original Six favoritism controversy. A couple of questions (w/ attempted answers):

1) The winners of the first two rounds are now called the "conference champions". What did the top seed from that conference do (let's say they were eliminated)? They didn't win their conference. They didn't win their division. Did they accomplish anything banner worthy? "Regular Season Conference Champion"? Who was considered the division winner in the old days (reg season or postseason)?

2) The four "conference champions" play each other. What do the winners of this third round claim? A Stanley Cup Semi-final Championship?

3) What happens to the Campbell and Wales trophies. Retired? Assigned to a conference with two additional trophies created?

I know it's all language and pageantry and has nothing to do with the actual play. It will be interesting to see how the NHL navigates these issues.
I think the Conference Champion is the team that gets sent to the final four. There are no divisions anymore, so no more division champions. The Campbell and Wales trophies could be given to winners of the Stanley Cup Semifinals. I suggest one year the Campbell is awarded to winner of 1vs4 and Wales to the 2vs3, and then they alternate next year: Campbell to 2vs3 and Wales to 1vs4. Either that or create two more trophies so all four conferences have a trophy to not touch after they win it.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
But what's the big difference between that, and the #9 team in the West being the 7th best team in the East right now?

I actually like this system, regardless of the fact that we have 8 teams in the conference.
The difference is the unbalanced interconference schedule. Under the new format, all interconference is balanced.

Old
12-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Banner for winning your conference
Banner for winning the first three rounds (Wales/Campbell)
Banner for winning the Cup

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote