HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coach Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Stiff

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2011, 07:40 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
If Bruce shows up in camp and tries to do the same stuff and make no changes whatsoever to his systems, George is an idiot for retaining him, plain and simple. I want the media to call out Bruce for doing the same thing in the face of a flawed approach.

Having an offense that relies on individual skills will only win a cup by facing dumb oppostion coaches. Hockey is a team sport and a coordinated plan is needed. Before 1 guy can win 16 games for his team, a smart coach will neutralize him, take him out. Bruce has shown no signs to ever adjust on the fly to take out a guy killing us. Bergenheimed.. what's that?

If we dont see our offense showing signs of an organized coordinated attack, Bruce needs to go. God mode led wins is asking too much of his stars. All the ice time in the world can't make them god. But it is enough to help him retain his job. I could do his job. We all could. F this F that. Attack. Out work em. Take tomorrow off.

I want to see a man with a new plan. A coordinated attack based on players using each other as we enter. The only consistent plan I see in the offensive zone is based on the play of the worst offensive players on the team, the defensive dmen pinching. Otherwise, yep as Ero and others have said before, its pond hockey.

Old
05-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If we dont see our offense showing signs of an organized coordinated attack, Bruce needs to go. God mode led wins is asking too much of his stars. All the ice time in the world can't make them god.

I want to see a man with a new plan. A coordinated attack based on players using each other as we enter. The only consistent plan I see in the offensive zone is based on the play of the worst offensive players on the team, the defensive dmen pinching. Otherwise, yep as Ero and others have said before, its pond hockey.
Agree completely. How did Boston score last night? Deft puck movement and support through the neutral zone, not dump and chase. That requires more attention to detail, team work and discipline.

The Caps never appeared to make any offensive adjustments after the system change. It was all about defending better and giving themselves the ability to stick around and find a way to score enough goals. With no real spearheads of the attack, they were bound to be overrun eventually. Sure, they missed the PMDs that weren't in the lineup that mgmt. loves to point out but that can be overstated quite a bit. It's not as though the forwards were distributing the puck well and were just hampered by having to play deeper to start the transition themselves. The playoffs also highlight that even your stay-at-home types have to be able to play the puck fairly effectively. There's nowhere to hide.

That the coaching staff took that route when they were struggling offensively could show that they just don't really know how to make those adjustments. If that's the case then they're not going to get it done.

Old
05-28-2011, 08:05 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Give Mike Babcock 3 times what he makes in Detroit, problem solved.
That'll be enough of that.

Old
05-28-2011, 09:55 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
RED WINGS ASSISTANT MCCRIMMON NOT RETURNING TO DETROIT

Yes Please!!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=366206
McCrimmon might be the guy to help Green.

Old
05-28-2011, 01:27 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If Bruce shows up in camp and tries to do the same stuff and make no changes whatsoever to his systems, George is an idiot for retaining him, plain and simple. I want the media to call out Bruce for doing the same thing in the face of a flawed approach.

Having an offense that relies on individual skills will only win a cup by facing dumb oppostion coaches. Hockey is a team sport and a coordinated plan is needed. Before 1 guy can win 16 games for his team, a smart coach will neutralize him, take him out. Bruce has shown no signs to ever adjust on the fly to take out a guy killing us. Bergenheimed.. what's that?

If we dont see our offense showing signs of an organized coordinated attack, Bruce needs to go. God mode led wins is asking too much of his stars. All the ice time in the world can't make them god. But it is enough to help him retain his job. I could do his job. We all could. F this F that. Attack. Out work em. Take tomorrow off.

The problem is not with the systems or the Xs and Os. It's the mental make-up up the team and culture fostered in the dressing room. The Caps PP didn't go from #1 to whatever it was because they all the sudden forgot how to execute it or teams learned how to stop it after 2 years. They simply didn't work hard enough and several players appeared unfocused and out of shape.

If Bruce is back at all McPhee is incompetent, imo.

Boudreau should already be gone and GMGM should be the one on the hot seat at this point. It's pathetic.

Old
05-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
The problem is not with the systems or the Xs and Os. It's the mental make-up up the team and culture fostered in the dressing room.If Bruce is back at all McPhee is incompetent, imo.

I think you're both right. Boudreau has gotten out X'd and O'd in every playoff series. He doesn't adjust. It's amazing.

And he's lost the room IMO because his emotional approach led to regular season success and playoff humiliation. Emotions are great but you gotta base them on X's and O's.

The real bad news is that Ted and McPhee don't see it. At all.

Old
05-28-2011, 03:31 PM
SkinsFan09

McPhee is an asshat. 13 years - 2 playoff series wins against two crappy Rangers squads. How he is still here is nuts. My only saving grace is if we actually choke again next year- both will be gone without question.

Old
05-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Icetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
McPhee is an asshat. 13 years - 2 playoff series wins against two crappy Rangers squads. How he is still here is nuts. My only saving grace is if we actually choke again next year- both will be gone without question.
That's the only silver lining I can come up with.

Leonsis has to fire BB and GMGM if we collapse again next year.

Doesn't he? One can only hope....

It's hard to comprehend the fact that they are keeping the Simpleton around. BB is such a fraud.

The Caps are at such a tremendous disadvantage with that clown running the ship.

Old
05-28-2011, 10:44 PM
txpd

i think we've reached that point where the moderators can merge these threads into one fire everybody thread. dont you think?

Old
05-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
McPhee is an asshat.

Isn't that the first line of a Dostoevsky novel? LOL

Old
05-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I think you're both right. Boudreau has gotten out X'd and O'd in every playoff series. He doesn't adjust. It's amazing.

And he's lost the room IMO because his emotional approach led to regular season success and playoff humiliation. Emotions are great but you gotta base them on X's and O's.
Agreed, the problems aren't just not working hard enough and they aren't just system, or lack there of, related.

The Caps have not had an organized zone entry scheme, whether on the PP or even strength, since Boudreau has been behind the bench. He has always just left it up to the players and when that isn't working the extent of the coaching is simply to tell them to dump it in instead of trying to carry it in. But dumping it in without a plan to try to help time everything so that it is easier to dig it out is usually just as ineffective.

That kind of just let your players use their talent to figure it out stuff needs to stop. Get them all on the same page and instead of having a very talented group of players that is less than the sum of it's parts make them an actual team that is better than the group of individuals it is now.

Old
05-30-2011, 10:31 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

One regular season hyped, pressure choking idiot gone. One more left.

At least Tressel had the job of recruiting the good players he decided to mishandle.

Old
05-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
The problem is not with the systems or the Xs and Os. It's the mental make-up up the team and culture fostered in the dressing room. The Caps PP didn't go from #1 to whatever it was because they all the sudden forgot how to execute it or teams learned how to stop it after 2 years. They simply didn't work hard enough and several players appeared unfocused and out of shape.

If Bruce is back at all McPhee is incompetent, imo.

Boudreau should already be gone and GMGM should be the one on the hot seat at this point. It's pathetic.
I have to disagree with you there. There is a huge X ad O factor and system factor. Why it worked in the past and not now goes back to teams adjusting. You could actually see glimpses of the problems we might have in the 2009-2010 season when PK units would pressure the puck. We struggled against those PKers. Last season that became the blueprint for shutting down the PP. The assumption is that the Caps would not move the puck fast enough or get guys into open space well enough to offset that. And they were right. In these playoffs, I'm not sure I saw us once use a guy in the slot on the PP, either for a one-timer or as simply a passing option.

All of the Bruce comparisons are slowly falling apart. McCullough, Julien, etc. have all had superior playoff success in the same time frame with their current team.

Old
05-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Dirtbag59

No interest in MacLean -- yet
8:03
AM ET
Detroit Red Wings
TopEmailComments

Detroit Red Wings assistant Brad McCrimmon is leaving the Detroit Red Wings to be a head coach in Russia, and the Wings know assistant Paul MacLean could be on his way out, too. So they've offered him an extension to stay with the club, although they are giving him time to consider other options, the Detroit Free Press reports.

Those other options are, of course, potential NHL head coaching jobs, since five clubs have vacancies. He was a candidates for the Columbus job last season, and may be called this summer, too. However, Wings GM Ken Holland tells the Freep that none of those clubs have contacted him about permission to speak with MacLean, but that may still be forthcoming.

- Alvin Chang

Old
05-30-2011, 03:37 PM
rockinghorse

A tale of my physiotherapist. I was going to a physio that was recommended to me. I liked him. He talked a good talk, what he was doing made sense and I think he helped me to improve somewhat.

After a while he just kept repeating the same stuff over and over. I didn't see any more improvement. I wasn't really keen on spending any more time with him but I still had unresolved problems. Went to another physio that was recommended to me and this one has a different bag of tricks. I am preferring this one more. I seem to be getting the results that I was looking for.

I still like the first guy, he is very nice, interesting and I'll refer people to him for some stuff. I feel a little guilty that I've dropped him. However physio # 2 is better for me now at this stage.

Old
05-30-2011, 08:17 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
That's the only silver lining I can come up with.

Leonsis has to fire BB and GMGM if we collapse again next year.

Doesn't he? One can only hope....

It's hard to comprehend the fact that they are keeping the Simpleton around. BB is such a fraud.

The Caps are at such a tremendous disadvantage with that clown running the ship.
I return simply to quote and bump.

The Draft and FA are next to meaningless with the losers they have steering the rig.

The horse has taken a 2 year beating now.

Old
05-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Bananas

I'm still aghast that BB wasn't fired immediately after we were swept. I would not have wanted him to ever interact with my players in a coaching capacity again after that series. Give back the keys and stay the **** away from the Verizon Center would have been a straightforward enough way to handle it.

But no, he's still the coach of the Washington Capitals.

It's unconscionable.

Old
05-31-2011, 12:25 AM
Dirtbag59

So no one is sensing a Tony Sparano type coaching limbo for BB?

Old
06-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Dirtbag59

Well if there were any doubts/hopes remaining that BB wouldn't return this season then this should finish them. Albeit we were told by GMGM that he expected BB to return so it shouldn't really be a surprise to begin with.

Quote:
Mattias Sjogren had numerous offers from NHL teams once he wrapped up a successful season with Farjestad of the Swedish Elite League and won a silver medal at this year’s World Championships. The 23-year-old forward visited several teams, but after a trip to Arlington and meeting with Capitals officials including Coach Bruce Boudreau, Sjogren said he felt most comfortable in Washington.

“I liked everything when I came over,” Sjogren said in a phone interview. “I saw the training facility, the arena, the coach. I knew I wanted more of a challenge this season and I could see myself in Washington.”

Old
06-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Millhaus

I have to agree. That is about as much of a confirmation that Boudreau is returning as we are likely to get. I would say at this point he is definitely coming back.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Ovys Missing Tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Well if there were any doubts/hopes remaining that BB wouldn't return this season then this should finish them. Albeit we were told by GMGM that he expected BB to return so it shouldn't really be a surprise to begin with.
I don't necessarily buy this theory. BB is still the coach until he isn't any more. The fact that he's part of this process just means he's still the coach ... it doesn't mean he will be the coach tomorrow.

Unfortunately, however, as more time passes, it seems increasingly unlikely that they're going to fire him ... but I don't think the fact that the Swedish kid likes him and that he was a part of the process of evaluating him and courting means all that much other than he's still doing the job he still has. (Ok, let's not debate the use of "still" and "doing his job," please.)

Old
06-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Langway
Intangibles

He was on Toronto radio a few days ago and seemed pretty comfy. In denial about their PP/offense issues but...comfy.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:45 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
They know how to market. Win? Not so much.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:45 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Coach may turn be able to turn a Grade A bone-in ribeye into tubesteak, but man can he sure make mediocre talent want to sign!

4 MORE YEARS! 4 MORE YEARS!

Old
06-02-2011, 05:17 PM
txpd

i dont get it. the other teams must have been pretty crappy if his agent let him sign with the capitals. i assume the word has to be out of the caps, their coach, their gm and ownership.

he's a swede. if he were any good he would have signed in detroit

Closed Thread