HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Coach Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Stiff

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2011, 02:44 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
One could argue the 97 team was Poile constructed with a few FANTASTIC McPhee tweaks. I give em both 50/50 credit on that one myself.
McPhee has always made good "tweaks". It's a lot harder to build a team without an owner willing to spend to the cap and Ovechkin/Backtrom falling into your lap. I'd go more 70/30 or 80/20 Poile.

Old
06-18-2011, 01:22 PM
SkinsFan09

Boudreau deserves another year. The anger from the sweep is past. The Caps need continuity and they aren't as far from playing in June as we think. The simple fact that we realized we need to shore up defensively is a big step. Now you get the team to be able to play defensively without hogtying our offense down. It wasn't realistically going to happen in half a season. It's up to McPhee to make the couple of personnel changes to allow for this to occur more efficiently.

Old
06-18-2011, 04:09 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
Boudreau deserves another year. The anger from the sweep is past. The Caps need continuity and they aren't as far from playing in June as we think. The simple fact that we realized we need to shore up defensively is a big step. Now you get the team to be able to play defensively without hogtying our offense down. It wasn't realistically going to happen in half a season. It's up to McPhee to make the couple of personnel changes to allow for this to occur more efficiently.
That has no impact on the reasons Boudreau should go.

Old
06-18-2011, 04:16 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Speak for yourself.

Old
06-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Atlas

Quote:
The anger from the sweep is past.

Fire Bruce god damn it!

Old
06-18-2011, 05:01 PM
SkinsFan09

The only things that aggravate me are the little habits he hasn't knocked out. I shouldn't see Ovechkin continually try to skate by 3 defensemen. I shouldn't see Semin (hopefully we won't next year) wasting offensive possessions and momentum with his 80 feet over the net wrist shots. And in general we need to see more structure offensively and less "let's use our raw talent to score goals and overcome disorganization."

But I'll give Bruce one more year to make it over the hump. Hopefully he can get the team to play comfortably defensively without taking away our offensive production. And hopefully McPhee can add some grit and reliable depth. If we still cannot get over the hump, can em both.

Old
06-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Speak for yourself.
Agreed. The failure to make adjustments in-game and in-series is as big of a problem now as it was when BB started. I would have much preferred a fresh start this offseason, and I'm a big supporter of GMGM.

Old
06-18-2011, 06:17 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
The only things that aggravate me are the little habits he hasn't knocked out. I shouldn't see Ovechkin continually try to skate by 3 defensemen. I shouldn't see Semin (hopefully we won't next year) wasting offensive possessions and momentum with his 80 feet over the net wrist shots. And in general we need to see more structure offensively and less "let's use our raw talent to score goals and overcome disorganization."

But I'll give Bruce one more year to make it over the hump. Hopefully he can get the team to play comfortably defensively without taking away our offensive production. And hopefully McPhee can add some grit and reliable depth. If we still cannot get over the hump, can em both.
...and all of these point to a systematic lack of discipline which has resulted in questionable work ethic, disorganized play and ultimately 3 consecutive playoff flame-outs at the hands of better "teams".

It's incredibly disappointing to see such talent wasted and so many on-lookers shrugging their shoulders.

Old
06-18-2011, 06:50 PM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
...and all of these point to a systematic lack of discipline which has resulted in questionable work ethic, disorganized play and ultimately 3 consecutive playoff flame-outs at the hands of better "teams".

It's incredibly disappointing to see such talent wasted and so many on-lookers shrugging their shoulders.
Read back earlier in this thread. I was with you guys saying can this clown. But you know what, I'll give it one more shot. ONE.

Old
06-18-2011, 09:04 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Well the org says one more as well so that's a big leap.

Old
06-19-2011, 04:27 AM
Bananas

Anyone who says let's give BB one more shot is a ****ing retard imo.

Old
06-19-2011, 04:28 AM
Bananas

I'm talking to you McPhee.

Old
06-19-2011, 07:10 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
George has brought it to the next level. Any complaints you have about Bruce, it should be directed at George. George needs to prove why he is in the game, eventually.

The most disturbing thing may be, that things our players don't do in the playoffs, almost shouldn't have to be taught, or brought out of players by Bruce. Our most recent playoff games, didnt have that playoff feel to me, of years past. 30 f'ing years. There was no urgency. No upping of the game. No collective North American NHL grade crease cleaning. No sign of anyone doing something extra to win, like poking at a puck in the goalies pads. Punching bag Sarge tried to throw some big hits but he looked like a nervous rookie trying. Dont laugh, he upped his game more on defense than the rest.

Is it the players, or the coach. I call bunk. Any person on earth can do those things, and almost every player of almost every caps playoff team in their history did those things come playoff time. Including even some Bruce teams, but we are regressing. You could see sore losers, proof that the players were upset at losing, and doing anything they can to change the shape of the game or series. Trying to get under an oppositions skin, hitting, inflicting pain, getting them off their game; NHL playoff basics.

I am convinced Bruce cant get it out of them, or he doesn't try. He is trying to play an finesse game that is getting embarrassed.

Old
06-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Our offense became garbage even before the "change". The "change" was made because we couldn't score, not the other way around. Thus I have little hope for a successful learning process with Bruce at the helm. 1 year from now we will look back at this and wonder why on earth we gave him another chance.

Old
06-19-2011, 12:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Bruce doesn't PLAY anything, the players are finesse players. End of story IMO...

Old
06-19-2011, 12:23 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
There was no urgency. No upping of the game. No collective North American NHL grade crease cleaning. No sign of anyone doing something extra to win, like poking at a puck in the goalies pads..
RH, i realize you are not happy. i realize that the style of game doesnt have the physical clean and dirty that you like.

but...you do realize that what you wrote here is wrong. mike knuble scored a late 3rd period power play goal to tie the game after his hand had been broken. that's not something extra? ovechkin and semin pounding at lundqvist's pads for a tying goal. if they werent poke at his pads why was he complaining? semin going to the net, waking lundqvist's pad and then poking in the loose puck behind him.

if you want to say there was not enough of that, you can make your case. to say there was none of that is just wrong. you think coming back from a 3-0 3rd p deficit was nothing extra? you think marcus johansson scoring two goals at the crease at his size was nothing extra?

Old
06-19-2011, 06:21 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Hey i know where Bruce is coming from. When life hands you lemons.

Ovi. Beast. But the rest...

Nick Semin Schultz and Green. Neuvy.

Thats a lot of finesse.

So Bruce tries to win with finesse. I can understand why. Even those 80's Edmonton teams could play it rough and tumble. We have seen he doesnt like to try and play it rough and tumble. At all. He doesnt like fighting. I would bet he didnt rack up many PIMs as a player. In a era folks racked up a ton. The players may just following his lead.

Go ahead TX please take the opposite opinion. Yes Knuble barely and legally nudged Rolo repeated. Not one person followed his lead.

And no a 3 goal comeback happens all over the league. Kids score goals. Even in meaningless regular season games. League wide, night in and night out.

Our offense was not special by any imagination.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:24 AM
txpd

ok man. you are effectively saying they, to a man, dont care about the playoffs. you really believe that.

next subject then

Old
06-20-2011, 07:10 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Tex.

Next.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-20-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old
06-20-2011, 07:48 AM
txpd

you also said there was no extra effort. there was no raising their game and so forth.
thats about effort and caring or in bb's words, the want and the will. its not about choosing to play finesse hockey.

i saw staal and girardi reduced to rubble in 3 and 1/2 games in round one. that was not done with finesse.

Old
06-20-2011, 09:14 AM
mikawa11

GMGM is not the problem. his job is to put the most talented guys on the ice and let the coach and the players do the rest. He put together an all star team. The problem is the caps have to many soft players and the coaching staff sucks at making adjustments against good competition.

Old
06-21-2011, 12:28 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

And who exactly reduce them to rubble?

Old
06-21-2011, 12:36 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Bruce sucks

Old
06-21-2011, 12:41 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikawa11 View Post
GMGM is not the problem. his job is to put the most talented guys on the ice and let the coach and the players do the rest. He put together an all star team. The problem is the caps have to many soft players and the coaching staff sucks at making adjustments against good competition.
It's also his job to evaluate the coaching staff and put the best staff together from coaching prospects.

Old
06-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikawa11 View Post
For me it's a toss up now. Results (or the lack of them) in the spring are what shows me where a team's heart is. Last year it was a mental collapse by the players in Game 5. Is that on the coach or players? Honestly if you're a bunch of professionals and you need to be told by your coaches that the playoffs are the big time, and to give 110% etc, then you're in the wrong business.

The Caps have a very talented team that has shown time and time again that they can be very effective when they want to be. Tampa Bay played very well against them but the Caps from what I saw also rolled over, particularly after they got down 0-2. I blame the players attitudes mostly but I also blame the coaches for coddling them.

Closed Thread