HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coach Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Stiff

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Vabeachblue

vCash: 500
I thought ov played pretty ****ing hard in the playoffs, I actually felt bad for him because of how hard he played and how almost nobody else stepped up, Mojo played well too for a newb.

Old
06-21-2011, 08:22 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
And who exactly reduce them to rubble?
Their coach if anyone. They logged a ton of TOI and may have been worn down some. We have all seen longer games with more hitting. Ovi hit their dmen, sent them flying a few times. GR8 Ovi did have a nice playoffs. But rubbling their D wasnt a team wide mission.

To me, a turning point, was that great play by Arnott, standing at the blueline. His huge frame in position to snag the predictable clear up the boards. The D's forward support, no where in sight. Whipped it to Semin, game over.

One bad bounce and the rags win that game, our guy that made the mistake reduced to "rubble" instead.

The rags offense was rubble after losing Cally. It was an almost predictable outcome. Their defense finally collapsed. Our rubble maker was largely Ovi as usual, with the predictable Bradley playoff hitting in support. Not much else wearing down D behind those two.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-21-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old
06-21-2011, 09:55 AM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikawa11 View Post
GMGM is not the problem. his job is to put the most talented guys on the ice and let the coach and the players do the rest. He put together an all star team. The problem is the caps have to many soft players and the coaching staff sucks at making adjustments against good competition.
Whose fault is it that we have too soft a roster - GMGM

Whose bright idea was it to rely on a rookie shutdown pairing to get us through the Stanley Cup Playoffs? - GMGM

Who yet again failed to strengthen us down the middle? - GMGM

Old
06-21-2011, 10:30 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I always assumed it was Bruce that decided to use Carlson Alzner as his shutdown pairing. Ignoring Hannan and Sarge, obvious candidates to be on a shutdown pair. He let the kids grind their teeth all year, and Carlson especially should be better for it defensively in the long run. My concern was always playoff time. It didnt go as I suspected, I thought Carlson would get pounded a la Green, and Bruce would be forced to turn to untested pairings. I think Carlson held up a bit better than Alzner, but that is splitting hairs really. For such a young pairing, they did about as good as could be expected in the playoffs. It hurts to point out that Alzner was our Mr Minus but its pointless to ignore that just because we all like him.

Old
06-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Devil Dancer

Question to the group: Do we know anything about BB's contract status? I know details were not released when he was signed, which I think was back after he led the comback in his first season, but has anything come out since then?

Old
06-27-2011, 09:05 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I always assumed it was Bruce that decided to use Carlson Alzner as his shutdown pairing. Ignoring Hannan and Sarge, obvious candidates to be on a shutdown pair. He let the kids grind their teeth all year, and Carlson especially should be better for it defensively in the long run. My concern was always playoff time. It didnt go as I suspected, I thought Carlson would get pounded a la Green, and Bruce would be forced to turn to untested pairings. I think Carlson held up a bit better than Alzner, but that is splitting hairs really. For such a young pairing, they did about as good as could be expected in the playoffs. It hurts to point out that Alzner was our Mr Minus but its pointless to ignore that just because we all like him.
i think you missed something critical. carlson didn't hold up as well as carlson. he was injured in game 1 series 2. alzner has commented about what carlson was going thru and that he, alzner, was covering for him. crossing over to pick up his dump in's so that carlson could avoid the hits.

alzner was on for two more goals against at even strenth because carlson was not available. remember the game winner in series one game 3? it was hannan that made the mistake. the puck just bounced off alzner in the crease.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:38 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think you missed something critical. carlson didn't hold up as well as carlson. he was injured in game 1 series 2. alzner has commented about what carlson was going thru and that he, alzner, was covering for him. crossing over to pick up his dump in's so that carlson could avoid the hits.

alzner was on for two more goals against at even strenth because carlson was not available. remember the game winner in series one game 3? it was hannan that made the mistake. the puck just bounced off alzner in the crease.
You are going to let a playoff injury otherwise cloud the fact that he held up all year as a shutdown pair?

Again, like always it seems, it comes down to Bruce. So he eventually reduced Carlson's role. Why didnt Bruce try out the other pairings during the course of the long and trying regular season, exactly as I had hoped. Because the kids played together in Hershey? That's a dumb reason. I figured that young pair would get exposed in the playoffs (Alzner 1GP ) and we would need a contingency plan. There was none, for that pairing, static all year.

Hannan out with Alzner for the first time all year, would you expect them to excel? Hannan should have been with Carlson, Alzner with Green, etc. Some here seemed to get overly enamored with the 2 kids together. I prefer a mentor if possible.

Bruce doesnt shake up his D pairs, the opposite of what he does on offense. There is a happy middle ground somewhere. I fear he can't figure it all out, since he was retained, I read that as, it's the players fault. Laich even said so. So George is grinding the ax.

The first sacrificed, our beloved Sloan. Its only a matter of time before its Bruce. No coach coaches forever.

Old
07-02-2011, 01:37 AM
Roccoman

so the deck chairs have been rearranged / replaced.

but the captain of the SS Capitals is still the same... is it too early to predict a 1st / 2nd round exit from BB?

let me rephrase that; can we expect continued lack of:
- in-game adjustments?
- managing his stud's minutes during the regular season?
- hands thrown up in disgust / amazement that the other team shut us down somehow?
- players being disciplined for not adhering to the system?
- "team" concept based game plan (versus "individual talent")?
- deflecting blame?

i know how this movie ends... and spoiler alert: its everyone else's fault besides BB's.

/vitriol

Old
07-02-2011, 06:42 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

If George pins losses on players injuries, I think he and Bruce need to think long and hard about retaining injury prone players. Green. Whats he going to fetch on the open market next, yeesh. Playing them anyways even though they are ineffective. Letting your depth get games in the regular season, test them and upgrade them if necessary after grading them in NHL games.

And you know, actually use depth when the injuries hit. Was anyone upset with Collins in the playoffs? McNeill needed to be tested and he wasn't. He's a mover.

Try all logical pairs in the regular season to prepare for playoff injuries to the defensemen. A contingency plan vs. Hannan, um you are with Alzner. Sorry CarlKarl, we need to be prepared.

And for the love of dog, lets bring a style that may actually bring the heat on their movers first. How's that for a idea.

Old
07-02-2011, 07:22 AM
txpd

rh, do you think that wideman and carlson should be questioned as well? if the caps were relying on green to carry the entire load and be broke down from being game planned, i'd see this as an issue.

he added carlson and then went out and acquired wideman. 3 top 4 puck movers you would think should have been enough even if one was fragile. by game 2 series 2 all three were our or limited by injury.

my take is that reliance on puck moving defensemen is not something you can change. there's been no evidence that either wideman nor carlson are fragile. its the way it worked out.

i would have preferred a banger on defense rather than hamrlick, but it sounds like mcphee was thinking of him for schultz role with green.

Old
07-02-2011, 08:41 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Wideman should have an easily documentable injury history. Carlson held up in playoff 1, broke down in playoff 2. But he is just a kid and is cheap.

Green, I think its becoming clear is injury prone. Until Bruce ever lightens his load, before or after an injury, it iwill remain a recurring theme in our playoff failures.

Yeah we got screwed when the frisky finn took out wideman. But we got screwed thinking Poti may come back against tampa too.

Still though, I think it doesnt matter if a core guy is a puck mover or not, if he is injury prone. Bruce foot on the gas seemed blind to the fact Green was ineffective. especially against Pitt. Bruce, flooring the Vespa gas petal, ignoring the rest of his fleet. Thats when it shot onto my playofffaildar.

Old
07-02-2011, 08:56 AM
txpd

who's we? they are still not talking about, but poti was never coming back. he's not coming back now and he was never in the picture then except as disinformation.

Old
07-02-2011, 09:27 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

You didn't you hear George yesterday. He seemed optimistic Poti may come back vs Tampa. He may have lied.

Regardless, back on topic, Bruce did not adjust when our puck movers were unable to move pucks because of injury. He should have pulled back his forwards, gone to his pseudo trap, and fallen back on his #1 G he obviously had full faith in. Use his healthy defensemen to their strengths.

He didnt adjust. We lost. Adjusting midseason to a defensive playoff proven way, was overlooked. He was foot on the gas. He appears stubborn to adjust.

Its disconcerting to hear Ero's post re: his reaction to Laich's comments.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-02-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old
07-02-2011, 12:35 PM
TRASHCAT

hmmm sign a 3rd liner and a 2-3rd pairing defenseman in a hope to change the choking culture or fire the the inept coach. One option seems a lot more promising and surely cheaper.

hamrlik ward and halpern aint going to be the caps playoff saviors. Least i can root for the avs to fail, instead of deluding myself into thinking that this team might go somewhere in the playoffs.

Old
07-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Dirtbag59

Old
07-02-2011, 06:38 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
You didn't you hear George yesterday. He seemed optimistic Poti may come back vs Tampa. He may have lied.
After all these years you should know that listening to GMGM is like listening to a politician.

Old
07-02-2011, 07:58 PM
TRASHCAT

Well John Madden won several titles with a team too talented to fail despite his idiocy.

Old
07-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post
Well John Madden won several titles with a team too talented to fail despite his idiocy.
Lol, some of the Raiders hate John Madden. They think that his coaching prevented them from being the team of the 70's, even though Oakland was easily the dirtiest team in the league. They would even go so far as to sabotage the balls the other team used during their home games.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=513

That's a serious summary of our problems.

And the guy isn't Caps fan, right?

Old
07-05-2011, 01:29 AM
TRASHCAT

going to be interesting to see how bruce fails again despite having an even more talented team than ever at his disposal.

"ov had a hangnail, made second round impossible, nothing you could do there"

Old
07-05-2011, 04:32 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateWasGod View Post
After all these years you should know that listening to GMGM is like listening to a politician.
What? So those free tickets to every fan GMGM promised it was a lie?

Old
07-05-2011, 06:21 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=513

That's a serious summary of our problems.

And the guy isn't Caps fan, right?
He's definitely a Caps fan.

Old
07-05-2011, 11:10 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

TXPD your posts are hilarious to read. Q: Do you still think Bruce should be fired? Or is it all better now that George pulled off some moves. Flip flopping is fine. If its a player or players holding us back, then they need to go. Right? Its probably a little from column A and column B as no one is perfect.

My complaint, no one from our core got moved out, something I wanted to happen. George is largely recycling free agents around his core. At least he finallly moved some of his own picks with NHL experience, Gordon and Varly. Maybe thats all he needs to do. I think getting Vokoun may make Bruce able to survive another year. Coaching is easier with a stud G, is it not?

I think few are willing to offer anything significant for Sarge and Semin.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:25 PM
CaptainKonoForever

Every time I come on these boards I hear people *****ing about Boudreau but I never hear any real-world suggestions on who should be his replacement. So lets hear it. Those of you who whine all day about how terrible of a coach he is, please offer some actual replacements. I'd love to hear them. Replacing a coach for the sake of replacing him makes no sense.

This isn't to say I think he is god's gift to the world but without a replacement lined up don't see the point in change for the sake of change.

On another note about Semin...trade him and what second line do we have? I'm curious...because I don't think your getting any real assets back for him since he is on a one year deal and most would believe that he will bolt to the KHL after this season if he isn't on Washington.

P.S.:
In advance, Dale Hunter is not a realistic replacement. He coaches a junior team in the Q, hardly a qualified replacement.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Foy

That's pretty much been my POV all along. I'd have no problems with Boudreau going out IFF there was a coach coming in that was no a massive step back.

Closed Thread