HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Karlsson's next contract?

Old
06-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ View Post
Weber's contract is abysmal. It will be a candidate for worst contract in the league in about 6/7 years.

$7.9M for the next 13 years?

He is not worth $7.9M now (turning 28), nor will he be when he's 35 (and still has 6 years left on his contract!).
Ehh...the thing is a lot of things that make Weber's game good won't go away with age. He'll still have average to above average skating, high levels of defensive awareness and the hitting will probably convert to a more stickwork-based approach that works wonders in the playoffs. Plus he has a metric ton of intangibles and leardership.
He wasn't the reason Nashville tanked this year, it was a just a year of regression overall for he Predators.

That said, I wouldn't trade Karlsson for Weber. Unless, of course, he regresses so much next season that his Norris (and benchmark) season becomes an anomaly. Even then, 10+ year contracts are blech.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Ehh...the thing is a lot of things that make Weber's game good won't go away with age. He'll still have average to above average skating, high levels of defensive awareness and the hitting will probably convert to a more stickwork-based approach that works wonders in the playoffs. Plus he has a metric ton of intangibles and leardership.
He wasn't the reason Nashville tanked this year, it was a just a year of regression overall for he Predators.

That said, I wouldn't trade Karlsson for Weber. Unless, of course, he regresses so much next season that his Norris (and benchmark) season becomes an anomaly. Even then, 10+ year contracts are blech.
It's a guessing game as to how well Weber ages. Some defensemen just seem to get better with age, many others crash and burn once they hit 35/36. A guy like Gonchar ages well because he avoids contact and doesn't rely on speed, whereas a guy like Volchenkov (who wasn't quick to begin with) has become a burden to the Devils as his body wore out. In my opinion, no defenseman currently in the league is worth ~$8M, even in their prime years.

In my eyes, Weber's physical style will take its toll (just as it has with many other physically gifted players who sacrifice their bodies) and Suter won't be there to help alleviate the pressure as Weber's play declines with age. As I said, it's a game of chance forecasting how contracts will look in 10 years, but it doesn't look good for Nashville in my opinion. Weber's an awesome player, and I'd have a tough time choosing between him and Karlsson purely based on ability, but Weber's contract makes it easy.

Players over 30 with $6M+ contracts:

Lecavalier
Heatley
Gaborik*
Campbell
Thornton*
Chara*
Marleau
Koivu*
Datsyuk*
Kovalchuk*
Richards
Boyle
Briere
Sedin*
Sedin*
Zetterberg*
Cammaleri

Each contract that is fair value, in my opinion, I put an asterisk next to. It's about 50-50 as to how many are worth their contract (9/17 worthy). Consider that most of these players are in their early 30's (30-32) and that Weber would be higher paid than all of these players, with a contract taking him to age 41. I would not want to run the risk of having an $8M pylon on our blueline at age 35 (should all go to hell), even with the option of just buying out his last six years and $18M--a bitter pill to swallow for a budgeted team like the Preds.

I should have said Weber's contract could be a candidate for worst in the league. It's risky business.

Last edited by Euclid: 06-10-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:18 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ View Post
Players over 30 with $6M+ contracts:

Lecavalier
Heatley
Gaborik*
Campbell
Thornton*
Chara*
Marleau
Koivu*
Datsyuk*
Kovalchuk*
Richards
Boyle
Briere
Sedin*
Sedin*
Zetterberg*
Cammaleri

Each contract that is fair value, in my opinion, I put an asterisk next to.
Jut nitpicking here, but I'd probably add Marleau to the "deserves an asterisk" list. Tough to say if he'll deserve another $6mil+ contract at his age, but he's earned the current one.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:17 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
He has a bomb of a shot too. He put a dent in the glass at the Olympics with his slapper and challenged Chara for hardest shot at the Skills Competition.
didn't he also put a shot clean through the net?

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote