HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reorganization of SE Division / NHL

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2011, 12:30 PM
BoltSTH

vCash: 500
Reorganization of SE Division / NHL

With it looking more and more like Atlanta is moving to Winnipeg, who do you think/want to be in our division to replace them?
My guess would be Nashville, or Dallas if it is not a major revamp.

Old
05-20-2011, 12:36 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Nashville, Dallas or Columbus would make the most sense.

Old
05-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Tokala

I listened to Home Ice on XM/Sirius on the way to the game last night. Buttman was on there and he denied that the Trashers would move from Atlanta. Stated that they would find an ownership group that would keep the team in Atlanta.

Reorganizing divisions is a huge case of cart before the horse syndrome.

Old
05-20-2011, 12:44 PM
BoltSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
I listened to Home Ice on XM/Sirius on the way to the game last night. Buttman was on there and he denied that the Trashers would move from Atlanta. Stated that they would find an ownership group that would keep the team in Atlanta.

Reorganizing divisions is a huge case of cart before the horse syndrome.
It is still not comfirmed, but good enough to get on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...d-rr-headlines

Old
05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 50

Nashville makes the most sense.

But didn't Detroit want to be in the Eastern Conference for years now? Maybe this is their chance. On the other hand, I don't see the NHL breaking up the current Atlantic and Northeast Divisions.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 05-20-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: fixed picture
Old
05-20-2011, 01:07 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Detroit moving east would be the dumbest thing the league could possibly do.

Old
05-20-2011, 01:14 PM
BoltSTH

There is a thread on the main board about suggestion of Wings to East
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=909524

Old
05-20-2011, 01:16 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Detroit would get first dibs, apparently.

Old
05-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Bolto
?

What makes the most sense to me geographically,

Winnipeg to the Northwest division
Minnesota to the Central division
Nashville to the Southeast division

or most simply,

Winnipeg to the Central division
Nashville to the Southeast division

We'll see.

Old
05-20-2011, 02:12 PM
I Am Beat You

Nashville is in the central time zone though, whereas Columbus is not. My guess is Columbus would replace Atlanta in the southeast. Just the thought of a Jackets/Panthers season series makes me want to fall asleep.

Old
05-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Yzlamic Extremist

vCash: 629
Winnipeg would likely play in the southeast the first season.

Old
05-20-2011, 02:17 PM
BoltSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Tocchet View Post

Holy Jet Lag Batman! Hope there would make it 3 away games in the same week

Old
05-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Tocchet View Post
Because next year Phoenix will move to Canada (Quebec maybe) and then they will reorganize the divisions

Old
05-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Razzmatazz

I see Dallas moving to the Central Division if any of the Central teams move to the Eastern Conference. Vancouver will replace them in the Pacific, and Winnipeg would replace Vancouver in the Northwest.

Columbus and Nashville would be Southeast conference locks if they moved, in my opinion, and if Detroit got moved (unlikely, because of the rivalry with Chicago), they would join the Northeast, pushing Buffalo to the Atlantic, and probably the Islanders to the Southeast.

Last edited by Razzmatazz: 05-20-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old
05-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I don't see why a Winnipeg team would have to play in the Southeast division for any length of time.

Intense, NHL, intense.

Bolto's idea makes the most sense, IMO.

East:
Atlantic
NJ
NYR
NYI
PHI
PIT

Northeast
BOS
BUF
MON
TOR
OTT

Southeast
TB
FLA
CAR
WAS
NAS

West:
Central
DET
CHI
CLB
STL
MIN

Pacific
LA
ANA
DAL
SJ
PHX

Northwest
WIN
COL
VAN
EDM
CGY

Last edited by Felonious Python: 05-20-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old
05-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I really dislike the Thrashers but I always think it's a shame for the fans to move a team. On the other hand Winnipeg lost their team but that Atlanta shouldn't be punished for that.

05-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

nashville

Old
05-20-2011, 11:09 PM
TBLHoser

Nashville. What would be the time zone difference anyway? (Insignificant) They're the closest team so it just makes total sense. Really don't care about the Atlanta fans (again). They had two chances and blown both of them. Unfortunately, it's a bandwagon city - they only support teams when they're winning. I remember the old Atlanta Flames when the players actually bought tickets to give away so they had some butts in the seats. Oh well.....c'ya later!

Old
05-21-2011, 04:55 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Nashville. What would be the time zone difference anyway? (Insignificant) They're the closest team so it just makes total sense. Really don't care about the Atlanta fans (again). They had two chances and blown both of them. Unfortunately, it's a bandwagon city - they only support teams when they're winning. I remember the old Atlanta Flames when the players actually bought tickets to give away so they had some butts in the seats. Oh well.....c'ya later!
There are great fans everywhere. I can't imagine how much it sucks to lose the team you love.

I still find it kinda mind-boggling that in such a large metro area like Atlanta's (9th largest in the US) there seems to be noone willing to try and keep the team (except for Tom Glavine) and there appears no way to keep the team alive and get it accepted by the community. Even other Sun Belt market teams like Dallas, LA, Anaheim, Tampa have been proven to work out. Atlanta / Georgia now blew it twice.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 05-21-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old
05-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Rschmitz

Remember though, Atlanta has a hard time selling Braves playoffs tickets too. Rays struggle at the gate. The Miami area doesn't draw either. Its not just a Thrasher thing.

I couldn't imagine losing my team. And at the same time, I would hate to steal somebody elses team too. Sloppy seconds.

Old
05-21-2011, 05:29 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC View Post
Remember though, Atlanta has a hard time selling Braves playoffs tickets too. Rays struggle at the gate. The Miami area doesn't draw either. Its not just a Thrasher thing.

I couldn't imagine losing my team. And at the same time, I would hate to steal somebody elses team too. Sloppy seconds.
Well in case of the Panthers: Only making the playoffs three times in 17 seasons and missing the post-season ten times in a row now might have something to do with low attendances and little fan support. The Dolphins ranked 16th/32 after all in 2010 (source), the Heat ranked 5th/30 in 2011 (source) while the Panthers have been in the lower 3rd for years now.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 05-21-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old
05-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Some of what you wrote here about Atlanta has applied at certain times to the Bolts. I don't think our fanbase is AS bandwagon jumping, but it's not like we sell out all the time when the team is bad. And while the level of giveaways and outrageously cheap ticket deals is exaggerated by some haters, it does happen. We've just been fortunate enough to have the occasional winning team. In over a decade the Thrashers have never even won a single playoff game.

And from what I understand, they can't find a local owner because ASG refuses to sell the rights to the arena to anybody who wants to buy the Thrashers. The hockey team would have to pay rent to those bloodsuckers.

I shudder to think what would have happened if Jeff Vinik hadn't come in when he did. I don't think we would have lost the Lightning, but...

Old
05-21-2011, 08:49 AM
BoltSonian33

Seems very likely that the jets/moose will mplay a year in the southeastern division.After that Nashville makes the most sense, and i also think that the preds fans/owners will be too happy to move to the eastern conference.

Old
05-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
There are great fans everywhere. I can't imagine how much it sucks to lose the team you love.

I still find it kinda mind-boggling that in such a large metro area like Atlanta's (9th largest in the US) there seems to be noone willing to try and keep the team (except for Tom Glavine) and there appears no way to keep the team alive and get it accepted by the community. Even other Sun Belt market teams like Dallas, LA, Anaheim, Tampa have been proven to work out. Atlanta / Georgia now blew it twice.
Atlanta didn't blow anything, it was the team's ownership groups.

Old
05-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

My two cents, and a long one at that. My views may or may not reflect previously-stated ideas. If they do, consider it me supporting them.

My Jackets would be the best fit to go to the Southeast if Atlanta made the move to Winnipeg. But, no moves would take place until it is decided what happens with Phoenix. No use moving us to the Southeast, then Phoenix would go to Quebec City or something, and then we get re-shifted to the West.

But let's assume Phoenix stays put... I say it's Columbus.

The reasoning is we have no true rivalries in 10 years. Detroit was forced on us because of the OSU-Michigan thing (and trust me, I got pissed when I'd go to a Det-CBJ game and they force fed college football on us!) and while Nashville was a newbie like us, well, they've slaughtered us in W-Ls over the years.

Going to the East would give us chances to see Pittsburgh and Buffalo a lot more, and we have a fair bit of fans who go to Washington to see the games. On top of that, the whole majority of games in the EDT helps.

Detroit would love to go East, but you can't break up the Atlantic and Northeast Divisions. If you sent Detroit to the Northeast, who do you send to the Atlantic or Southeast? Boston to the Atlantic would make the most sense, though it's an O6er and would depart from two other O6ers (but still, four games per year against them isn't too bad). But who from the Atlantic goes South? Can't be the NY/NJ trifecta or Philly. And would Pittsburgh want to go to the Southeast? Let's be honest here, even if it's short-term and all this stuff cycles, Sid-Ovie-Stammer all in the same division?! That would be tough.

Besides, Detroit is a major pull being an O6er. Take them out of the West and who is left? Chicago, another O6er. A lot of the other franchises do not have that national mainstay power. Detroit going West and getting fans in attendance is like when the Yankees or BoSox go West. That has to account for something. That, and Detroit IS a perennial contender in the West. There isn't a year that goes by where you discount Detroit. Having that potential and setup in place has its benefits. I just can't see Detroit moving.

Nashville, regionally, makes the most sense, I agree. But, they're in the CDT zone, whereas you have two EDTers that would rather move first. Nashville's latest game begins at 9:30 p.m. local time. For Detroit and Columbus, that time becomes 10:30 p.m. That hour does make a difference, especially for those who have to work and can't stay up that late. This is about ratings as much as it is making sure the divisions make some sense. Therefore, Nashville isn't the prime candidate.

Columbus makes the most sense. Might not be a regional fit, but, it makes the most sense all the way around. Besides, a lot of Ohioans go to Florida (look at me!) so it's not that drawing fans would be a problem. Plus Columbus has fared very well against the East historically, and that would also be a selling point for CBJ fans.

Now, again, assuming Phoenix stays put, who goes Central? Minnesota makes sense, but, Min-Chi and Min-Win are two regional rivalries. You can put Min in the Central and it works out perfectly. However, you can also keep Min in the Northwest, put Colorado in the Pacific, and put Dallas in the Central as well. For as much as you put Minnesota out of "travel misery" by going to the Central, keeping Minnesota in the Northwest also puts Colorado and Dallas out of "travel misery". Colorado and Dallas in their current divisions log a lot of miles for divisional play; realigning those two to the Pacific and Central respectively alleviates that.

So in closing, ASSUMING Phoenix stays...

Atlanta to Winnipeg; Winnipeg to the Northwest
Columbus to the Southeast
Colorado to the Pacific
Dallas to the Central
Minnesota stays put

Closed Thread