HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you a player person, or a team person

Old
05-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
Are you a player person, or a team person

Does it matter to you who's wearing the jersey, so long as they win? Or do you pick a player and stick by them, hoping they succeed?

Of course some will be both, but it's a curiosity I have. Would you trade the core for better players if you had the chance, or do you support the guys we have?

Secondary, do you consider some core players "more" New York Rangers than some others?

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:27 PM
NYRSchrute217

The name on the front is more important than the name on the back

Of course we all love certain players but if you're a Ranger you're my guy

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:32 PM
TrollololBoyle

Since baseball is my primary sport, and the Yankees are my favorite team, I'd have to go with the team/jersey/logo. The Yankees don't have names on the back of their jerseys and I think other sports should do that as well.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:39 PM
asphyXy

A lot of people are going to have a little bit of both. I'm a diehard Ranger fan through and through. I recognize that you need to give something up to get something in return, but it's definitely okay to root for the players that gave it their all during their time here.

Consider this... it's not Blair Betts' fault that Sather had no respect for him, and 99% of the people here would've liked him to re-sign here two years ago. If last year's Stanley Cup finals went to game 7, and game 7 went to overtime, and in OT, Blair Betts got tripped up on a breakaway and was awarded a penalty shot, I think it'd be really hard to root against him in that situation, despite the ugly colors he was wearing.

On the flip side, who here actually rooted for Lindros when he was a Ranger? I was hoping for a concussion before his skates ever touched the ice. Ranger or not, I just could not stand the person.

asphyXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:42 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

There's some guys that I love having on this team that I would be upset to watch anywhere else. Hank and Cally come to mind.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

I know that to me, at least, a team is a group of players. I'm a relatively new Rangers fan (I watched when i was a little kid, dropped off, and started up again to mess with my girl friend, a Jersey fan), and it really just so happens I love this team. From Torts's attitude to Dubinsky's growth, and Cally is simply my favorite athlete of this generation.

Could i root for New York if they played like the Flyers, or had guys like Cooke. Avery upsets me most of the time, though I like that Torts reminded him that he was there to play hockey, and bring energy.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:59 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphyXy View Post
A lot of people are going to have a little bit of both. I'm a diehard Ranger fan through and through. I recognize that you need to give something up to get something in return, but it's definitely okay to root for the players that gave it their all during their time here.

Consider this... it's not Blair Betts' fault that Sather had no respect for him, and 99% of the people here would've liked him to re-sign here two years ago. If last year's Stanley Cup finals went to game 7, and game 7 went to overtime, and in OT, Blair Betts got tripped up on a breakaway and was awarded a penalty shot, I think it'd be really hard to root against him in that situation, despite the ugly colors he was wearing.

On the flip side, who here actually rooted for Lindros when he was a Ranger? I was hoping for a concussion before his skates ever touched the ice. Ranger or not, I just could not stand the person.
Do you know him personally or are you just going by what others say?

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:02 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:

I'm sorry but this post makes me sick. Betts was a Ranger for 4 seasons..and you're gonna root for him to win the Flyers a cup?

Everyone should've rooted for Lindros as a Ranger...because he was a Ranger. You root for your sweater..players come and go

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Tiki Talk
Oh Baby

One thing I always keep in mind: players come and players go, but the team is what remains. I don't get too attached to the players, they could be gone at any moment.

That being said, some players work their way into my heart over time. Guys like Gravey, Leetch, Mess, Richter, Staal, Lundy... I love them and always will.

Tiki Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I love guys like Henke and Cally. But if they were to go to, say, Philly or NJ, I'd hate them.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:13 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I love guys like Henke and Cally. But if they were to go to, say, Philly or NJ, I'd hate them.
Say Hank and/or Cally spent their entire careers as a Ranger. They wanted one more chance at the cup, and the Rangers did not want them back (similar to the Stars/Modano thing) or they requested a trade.... suddenly they don a rival's jersey. You wouldn't root for them just that one time a la Borque from Boston to Colorado (though they aren't exactly rivals)?

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Say Hank and/or Cally spent their entire careers as a Ranger. They wanted one more chance at the cup, and the Rangers did not want them back (similar to the Stars/Modano thing) or they requested a trade.... suddenly they don a rival's jersey. You wouldn't root for them just that one time a la Borque from Boston to Colorado (though they aren't exactly rivals)?
If they were playing for an arch-rival, I just couldn't do it. If they ended up winning, after the fact I could be happy for them...but during the run up to winning, no. Couldn't do it.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:20 PM
OverTheCap

You root for the sweater. Always. There are some players on the team that I like more than others but I would never root for one player at the expense of the team.

I got really pissed off at some of the Norwegian fans who were rooting for the Rangers to lose because MZA was sent down to Hartford. There are always some sports fans who would rather see their favorite player get more playing time even though it may not beneficial to the team. The team should always come first.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Team. Always will be.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:24 PM
savebyrichter35

I root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

And to the guy who said who wouldn't root for Blair Betts to score in that situation..count me as one of them who would absolutely not root for Betts to score in that situation.

savebyrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Puckhog27

I've always followed Alexei Kovalev even though he is enigmatic and not always the best player to support.

I was a Ranger fan at first, but after I saw Kovy played I've followed him most of his career. I think my favorite years watching him was when he was a Ranger as he was still young and exciting to watch. In Pittsburgh he wasn't bad either, had some great regular seasons, but his best playoff performances came in a Ranger uniform IMO.

I'd say it's more fruitful to be a fan of a team though. In hindsight I kind of wish I stuck with the Rangers and find myself drifting back to them as Kovalev is close to retirement.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:34 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

Not only would I hope Betts missed the penalty shot, but directly on the next shift the other team came back and scored to end the game.

The only time i'll ever cheer in a situation like that is if Hank is 37 and cupless, so I guess that means I consider some players more "Ranger" like the original post asks.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:41 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I have favorite players on the team but at the end of the day it's the name on the front of the jersey that takes precedence.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:03 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Like others have said definitely the team, but as you root for the team you become attached to the players.

Hated Avery as a King, love him as a Ranger because HE IS a Ranger, it works like that.

If for example Cally went to the Flyers, the things we loved about him here we'd hate him for on the Flyers. Tenacious forcheck, always in position, always giving 100%, playing in all situations...it would suck.

Detachment from players, love for the team.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:15 PM
satrabyk

The reason i root for certain players over other players is because i think they will help the NYR win. So i think in many ways they go hand in hand. Some people are not realistic about certain players. I supported guys like Rozi, Prucha, Jagr, Hossa, Malik for awhile, not because i love the guy but because i think they offer something valuable to the team.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Everyone should've rooted for Lindros as a Ranger...because he was a Ranger. You root for your sweater..players come and go
I was at Lindros' first game against the Flyers as a Ranger. The atmosphere in the building was the most charged I've ever experienced at a regular-season game. With all the Flyers fans who came just to boo Lindros, the Rangers fans finally took him as one of their own. The entire crowd cheered when he hit the ice for warmups. It was impossible not to be a fan after that.

On top of which, I saw him at Chumley's a while later, and he seemed like a good enough guy. I've heard he's actually a very nice guy in person, whatever his bad press.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:36 PM
OverTheCap

I HATED Lindros and Jagr before they were Rangers. They were both Rangers killers. Lindros broke my heart when I was at Game 4 of the 1997 ECF and he scored the GWG with seconds remaining in the game. I despised Jagr's mullet and silly salute and wanted to punch him in the face when scored in OT during Gretzky's last game.

But I embraced them both as Rangers. It was hard to watch Lindros knowing he was no longer the dominant player pre-concussions. But I rooted for him and I support him now in his efforts to prevent concussions in the NHL. Jagr was one of my favorite Rangers post-lockout and it was a joy to watch him score goals and make plays with defenders hanging on his back. Once a player puts the Rangers sweater on, he becomes part of the family.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If they were playing for an arch-rival, I just couldn't do it. If they ended up winning, after the fact I could be happy for them...but during the run up to winning, no. Couldn't do it.
This. I wouldn't root for Lundqvist while he's in his cup run with Philly or New Jersey. But when he wins, I'll be happy for him, but I'd still be upset Philly or New Jersey won the cup.

05-19-2011, 12:53 AM
hockeyman001

Both.

There are some players that are an embarrasment, have done too much against the Rangers, etc. for me to ever root for them as Rangers (see Brashear).

However I always want the best for the team, but when there is a player I strongly dislike my hope is that the team wins in spite of that player.

Sort of like how we all view James Dolan, even though he's not a player...if that makes any sense.

But the overwhelming majority of players I embrace and cheer for. Brashear's one of the few in recent memory I can think of I did not want and did not like.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:58 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
cliché as it is but being a hockey player and fan my whole life and a rangers fan, i bleed for that blueshirt and i dont care who puts it on. i may grow a soft spot for that player if they leave but im a NEW YORK RANGERS FAN. the name that reads across that jersey is who i root for. if mickey mouse wore that jersey it wouldnt matter

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote