HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Zuffa to raise PPV prices for bars

Old
05-20-2011, 01:45 PM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
Zuffa to raise PPV prices for bars

Quote:
It looks like ZUFFA has been increasing the price of airing UFC PPVs in bars/restaurants across the southern part of the US (and perhaps across the entire country). The price hike has discouraged some places to stop carrying the broadcasts, but it does support UFC's business model of encouraging the viewers to watch at home, thus netting a higher revenue for the company.
http://middleeasy.com/index.php?limitstart=45

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:50 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Didn't this happen awhile ago?

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:56 PM
m9

Yeah I thought it was old news too. Maybe it was only in Canada?

..and just like then, I don't really care either way. Bars that make money off it will keep on buying it, UFC/fighters make more money. Whatever, fine by me.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:57 PM
End of Line
Human After All

If it's old news my bad.

I know here in the States, the prices are getting very expensive. I think Hooters doesn't even show them anymore (where I live)

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 04:18 PM
m9

Up here in BC every bar practically shows them. I can go to 10 places within 10 minutes to see it. There's some old bar that has 20 people in it for UFC's that keeps buying them too.

I particularly like the local strip clubs that quickly bring out a dancr for the 10 minutes in between fights, then roll the big screens down again when there's a fight. Very efficient.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

The place in Saskatoon I bartend at shows UFC, seat capacity of ~160 and the price went from ~500 to ~850, with our $5 cover if we had standing room it'd be 800 bucks, but people aren't going to stand on their feet for the UFC fights like they use to a few years back when it was wall-to-wall w/ people. UFC just isn't as popular an option to watch in the bars like it was a year or so ago, people have opted to stay and watch it at home. We net around 400-500 in cover charge so the rest we just recoup in drink sales.

I know one bigger bar in Saskatoon stopped showing them - or did for a while anyways - because the PPV would have cost them something like $1,500 or more after the price hike.

Last edited by Fuzzy Bunny: 05-20-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Fanpuck33

It will be interesting to see if Champps still carries them. I always go there and get half price appetizers during the fights. Although, I found out last PPV that the deal is simply part of their happy hour that starts at 10. The waiter I had the first time I went told me the deals were to bring people in for the fights, so my last bill took me by surprise. If they stop, at least all BW3 seem to carry events. I think they've got a contract or something, they always show up on lists of locations first.

P.S. There was a thread (or at least a discussion of this) in the past, but it was only about Ontario as far as the article said. Nothing about anywhere else, so this is definitely new news to the states.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Our prices raised in Saskatoon a good while back when that Ontario thread popped up so I am assuming that was a Canada-wide price hike.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Curious to know if they did this to help pay for insurance. I was harping about that back when this was first done.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:15 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

If bars stop showing them, more people will start stealing them via streams and stuff. I don't think they'll make much more money, especially if 30%+ of bars stop showing them.

People usually use UFC as an excuse to get drunk. If UFC take that away by this, people will still go to bars and just watch other sports and get drunk.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote