HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

If rebuild, rights to Richards + for Ranger's 1st

Old
05-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Alright you want to play that fantasy game, I'll give you a fantasy answer.

Jamie Benn.

This is to illustrate how your ludicrous proposal will never happen.

But to be clear I will answer your question again. The plus would have to be Jamie Benn.
Yup...almost as ludicrous as saying "Richards is guranteed ours". Lol, like there are NO other teams (which by the way have the same or more money to spend) that he would consider!!

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:21 AM
RalphHouzen

I've lost respect for a chunky portion of the Rangers fan base the last three days.

RalphHouzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:31 AM
beastly115

The most I'd give up for Richards is a 2nd if he signs, becomes a 3rd if he doesn't.

Sather has his ear to the ground on this one. He knows where Richard's likely choices are and they're we're near the top of that list. He'll only trade for the rights if he knows we absolutely need to. As of now, we don't need to.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:33 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphHouzen View Post
I've lost respect for a chunky portion of the Rangers fan base the last three days.
Your e-respect will be sorely missed.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Were are not guaranteed anything, but we have a better chance than about 95% of the league.

There are only a few teams that Richards has interest in and the Rangers are near the top of that list right next to Dallas, TB, and I guess the Leafs.
You would put the leafs ahead of Buffalo? Richards wants to win and Buffalo is a lot closer to doing that than Toronto.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 05:45 PM
bernmeister

Unless I missed something, IMO, it's a non-starter.

Richards is UFA.
Chance to get inside track on signing him was at trade deadline at latest. Even then, he could still go where and do as he pleases, so return would not be so great in any event.

if Richards were Restricted Free Agent, like Shea Weber, then I could see about trying to hold NY up for a ransom, the same way the Knicks overpaid for Carmelo Anthony. In that case NYR would have to offer minimum of 4 first rounders they'd get if in compensation if they let him sign and walk, plus NYR would have to offer even more above and beyond that for Nashville not to match; even then, Preds probably don't bite unless there are additional factors and if Weber were to sign elsewhere, say with Detroit, the value of those four 1sts might be less.

But that hypothetical is for illustration purposes only.
Richards a UFA.
Must decide what he wants:
chance for cup
$$$$$$$
combination of both
comfortable chemistry --- Dallas still good? change of scenery?

We'll find out soon enough.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 07:05 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
You would put the leafs ahead of Buffalo? Richards wants to win and Buffalo is a lot closer to doing that than Toronto.
No I just forgot to mention Buffalo.

Buffalo would be Richard's 4th option in my opinion behind Dallas, the Rangers, and TB.

05-21-2011, 08:41 PM
gotmonte

OUR FIRST FOR HIS RIGHTS? Ummm NO

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
UFA rights are pointless. Richards isn't going to let 'his rights to a certain team' prevent him from playing wherever he wants to play next season.
Trading for Richards' rights would be absolutely huge from Buffalo's standpoint. I think it's the only way we can get him.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Were are not guaranteed anything, but we have a better chance than about 95% of the league.
If you would have read some of the non-NY media reports in recent months on Richards, you would realize the fallacy of that statement. Yes, the Rangers have an advantage in that their coach has a positive relationship with Richards - but the Rangers are hardly the only team to be able to spend on free agents (and Richards has already publicly conceded in recent interviews that earning top dollars is not as important to him in light of how his monster extension in Tampa led to the breakup of that Cup team).

Richards has said that his goal, first and foremost, is to play for a stable, winning organization with a chance to win the Cup every season. At least 10-12 teams fit into that category and the Rangers aren't even as strong as some in that group are.

Quote:
There are only a few teams that Richards has interest in and the Rangers are near the top of that list right next to Dallas, TB, and I guess the Leafs.
When has Richards ever spoken or hinted at any teams, beyond his current one, that he would want to play for? Rangers fans (along with the rumor mongers amongst the NY media) are taking the references Richards has made in the past about his relationship with Tortorella and jumping to conclusions.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
OUR FIRST FOR HIS RIGHTS? Ummm NO
Way to twist it around. Either way it would be dumb for the Rangers to give up their first when they are one of the favorites to sign Richards but it's not just his rights the OP offered.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Havok89

Quote:
No I just forgot to mention Buffalo.

Buffalo would be Richard's 4th option in my opinion behind Dallas, the Rangers, and TB.
Fair enough.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:25 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Scenario 1:
It's the trade deadline and Dallas can't resign Richards. Nieuwendyk makes a ridiculous demand of Dubinsky, Stepan and Staal for the rental Richards. Sather laughs and hangs up the phone. http://nyrzone.com/?p=534

Scenario 2:
Dallas can't resign Richards. Nieuwendyk is still smoking crack and asks for ridiculous offers that include the Rangers 1st round pick. The Rangers basically tell him to go to hell and wait until Richards hit UFA status and sign him then. Dallas gets squat because Nieuwendyk was greedy not once, but twice.

Scenario 3:
Dallas can't resign Richards and after realizing the errors of his ways during the trade deadline, Nieuwendyk decides not to be greedy. Instead he decides to trade the rights of Richards to the Rangers for a mid round pick and a prospect. The Rangers make out because they get exclusive bargaining time and send a signal to the player. They save money and cap space by signing Richards to a slightly smaller contract.

Richards to NYR
for
Roman Horak & 3rd

Unless it's Jack Campbell, there isn't a prospect on Dallas that interests me.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

Glennie, Larsen, Chiasson, and Smith are good prospects but mmk.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 03:16 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Scenario 1:
It's the trade deadline and Dallas can't resign Richards. Nieuwendyk makes a ridiculous demand of Dubinsky, Stepan and Staal for the rental Richards. Sather laughs and hangs up the phone. http://nyrzone.com/?p=534

Scenario 2:
Dallas can't resign Richards. Nieuwendyk is still smoking crack and asks for ridiculous offers that include the Rangers 1st round pick. The Rangers basically tell him to go to hell and wait until Richards hit UFA status and sign him then. Dallas gets squat because Nieuwendyk was greedy not once, but twice.

Scenario 3:
Dallas can't resign Richards and after realizing the errors of his ways during the trade deadline, Nieuwendyk decides not to be greedy. Instead he decides to trade the rights of Richards to the Rangers for a mid round pick and a prospect. The Rangers make out because they get exclusive bargaining time and send a signal to the player. They save money and cap space by signing Richards to a slightly smaller contract.

Richards to NYR
for
Roman Horak & 3rd

Of course, all we've got is a power forward with virtually the same skill set as James Neal (Chiasson) and bunch of potential top 6 wingers (Glennie, Smith and Vincour.) Who needs them, right?

Btw, I doubt Joe is trading Richards' rights. He still believes that a new owner will have a firm grip on this franchise by July 1st. I personally think Richards will just walk, but if I was forced to trade his rights to a team, I'd go for Buffalo.

The Rangers won't give up anything because Sather is so confident that Richards will sign in NY because of Torts. So why not trade his negotiating rights to a team that is not so confident in signing him, and desperately needs him. Buffalo is in the same situation as the Rags. No clear cut #1 center or PPQB. Richards fits the bill. Their basically the same team. Young talent with elite goaltending and a very good coach. If the Sabres were able to get ahead start in negotiating with Richie, then it might make a difference. The best part is it'll cost cheap in a fairly weak draft.

Buffalo:
Richards' rights

Dallas:
Buffalo's 5th rd pick

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:50 AM
eco's bones

If the Rangers had a guarantee--had already worked out a deal with Richards it's more feasible to send something back to Dallas. Philadelphia-Nashville did something like that with Timonen/Hartnell. Otherwise there's not much reason unless Dallas wants Drury or Redden.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Were are not guaranteed anything, but we have a better chance than about 95% of the league
Yeah, right.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:58 AM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:
I answered your question.

There is no plus because we aren't looking to deal our 15th overall pick.
I dunno. Considering you drafted McIlrath last yr, trading your 1sts from now on might not be a bad idea

But seriously. NO players is worth a 1st for their rights. a conditional 1st, maybe...but i wouldnt pay that (then again, im notoriously anti-UFA rights)

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:19 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Scenario 1:
That. Never. Happened. Get it through your heads.

It's amusing the amount of posters in this thread who appear to not have the reading comprehension ability to understand the OP. Anyways...

Like I've said all along, Richards' rights are worth a 3rd round pick to a team that is not currently the frontrunner to sign him. Meaning that the value of that asset is considerably lower to New York (the frontrunner) than it is to the other teams in the league. I'd gauge it at about a 5th or 6th rounder to them.

So then, to answer the OP, the difference that has to be made up is between roughly the 150th overall pick and the 15th overall. To move up that far you need to give up something that would bring back a 1st rounder on its own merits.

What is that on the Stars? Difficult to say. In a vacuum a player like Robidas might carry that type of value, but of course you could never send him in a deal to the Rangers as they're buying people out just to sign Richards in the first place. So it's got to be something that doesn't carry salary. I don't believe goaltending prospects are worth much of anything between the time they're drafted and before they break into the league, so that eliminates Campbell. The only remaining option is really Glennie. Trading him for the 15th pick would mark an effective 7 pick capitulation from his draft day, nevermind the development time spent on him already. Poor asset management, sure, but possibly the only way to satisfy the question in the OP.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
The Rangers won't give up anything because Sather is so confident that Richards will sign in NY because of Torts. So why not trade his negotiating rights to a team that is not so confident in signing him, and desperately needs him. Buffalo is in the same situation as the Rags. No clear cut #1 center or PPQB. Richards fits the bill. Their basically the same team. Young talent with elite goaltending and a very good coach. If the Sabres were able to get ahead start in negotiating with Richie, then it might make a difference. The best part is it'll cost cheap in a fairly weak draft.
With one distinct difference: the Rangers are owned by a corporate conglomerate. The Sabres are owned by an individual businessman, who's demonstrated both in his oil business and with "feel-good" moves thus far in his short time as Buffalo's owner, that he believes and operates his endeavors with a family-oriented approach built on loyalty. Whether or not that matters to every single player is debatable but, given that Richards comes from a small town and has publicly admitted that he'll discuss any of his options first with his family before signing a new contract, it may mean something to Richards and help neutralize the advantage that his history with Tortorella gives the Rangers.

In another installment of Larry Brooks personal campaign for the Rangers to sign Richards (which is responsible for more of the general assumption everyone seems to have that it's a foregone conclusion of Richards signing in NY), he points out that the Rangers have two second round picks to offer for Richards' negotiating righhts. If the Sabres or Kings are willing to do whatever it takes to woo him, they each have a 1st round pick to offer for his rights.

Old
05-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Like I've said all along, Richards' rights are worth a 3rd round pick to a team that is not currently the frontrunner to sign him. Meaning that the value of that asset is considerably lower to New York (the frontrunner) than it is to the other teams in the league. I'd gauge it at about a 5th or 6th rounder to them.
Richards' rights are worth whatever any particular team decides the urgency of adding Richards to their roster is. Unless you're the GM of any team, it's pointless to state absolutes about what his rights are or aren't worth.

Old
05-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Lmfao no.

His rights are worth very little and trading for them is pointless. A team owning his rights doesn't have any influence on where he wants to play.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphHouzen View Post
Were all so sorry to hear that

Please accept this wonderful picture of a fruit basket, because we really do care

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
With one distinct difference: the Rangers are owned by a corporate conglomerate. The Sabres are owned by an individual businessman, who's demonstrated both in his oil business and with "feel-good" moves thus far in his short time as Buffalo's owner, that he believes and operates his endeavors with a family-oriented approach built on loyalty. Whether or not that matters to every single player is debatable but, given that Richards comes from a small town and has publicly admitted that he'll discuss any of his options first with his family before signing a new contract, it may mean something to Richards and help neutralize the advantage that his history with Tortorella gives the Rangers.

In another installment of Larry Brooks personal campaign for the Rangers to sign Richards (which is responsible for more of the general assumption everyone seems to have that it's a foregone conclusion of Richards signing in NY), he points out that the Rangers have two second round picks to offer for Richards' negotiating righhts. If the Sabres or Kings are willing to do whatever it takes to woo him, they each have a 1st round pick to offer for his rights.
Personal campaign?

Brooks has been skeptical of the Rangers landing Richards. Has pointed to his concussion. Has pointed to the Rangers cap situation. Until his column today,Brooks has not been a big supporter of Richards coming to the Rangers.

Blame the Canadian media such Pierre LeBrun and Steve Simmons with their reports of Richards having a selective list of 3 or 4 teams with the Rangers being on those lists. Dallas,Rangers and TB were on both lists. Not Toronto.

Throw in the fact Richards are willing to waive his NTC for one team at the February trade deadline if the Stars asked him to waive it. That team was the Rangers.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 05-22-2011 at 12:57 PM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
That. Never. Happened. Get it through your heads.

It's amusing the amount of posters in this thread who appear to not have the reading comprehension ability to understand the OP. Anyways...

So then, to answer the OP, the difference that has to be made up is between roughly the 150th overall pick and the 15th overall. To move up that far you need to give up something that would bring back a 1st rounder on its own merits.

What is that on the Stars? Difficult to say. In a vacuum a player like Robidas might carry that type of value, but of course you could never send him in a deal to the Rangers as they're buying people out just to sign Richards in the first place. So it's got to be something that doesn't carry salary. I don't believe goaltending prospects are worth much of anything between the time they're drafted and before they break into the league, so that eliminates Campbell. The only remaining option is really Glennie. Trading him for the 15th pick would mark an effective 7 pick capitulation from his draft day, nevermind the development time spent on him already. Poor asset management, sure, but possibly the only way to satisfy the question in the OP.
that did happen and Don LaGreca and EJ Hradek on NHL Live reported it as well as Brooks. Get it through your head. unless you have evidence to the contrary, what is printed and gets reported is generally accepted until there is a denial by one of the principals, and neither Sather or Niewy ever denied the report

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote