HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

If rebuild, rights to Richards + for Ranger's 1st

Old
05-23-2011, 08:51 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Sorry, but your BEST deal for Richards was before the deadline.

To Dallas - 2011 3rd rounder for his rights with the condition that if he signs, the pick becomes the Rangers 2012 2nd rounder.

To NYR - Brad Richards rights.
Your offer right now is better than what the Rangers were willing to part with at the deadline.

Anyways I don't think that would work since from what I can tell you don't have a 2011 3rd rounder to give.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Chalfdiggity3

vCash: 500
Anyone want to give me an up to date scouting report on Scott Glennie? he could make up the difference since he was a top scorer in his league, and is a sniper, exactly what the Rangers are looking for.

Glennie + Richards Rights for 15th pick 11"

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:18 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Anyone want to give me an up to date scouting report on Scott Glennie? he could make up the difference since he was a top scorer in his league, and is a sniper, exactly what the Rangers are looking for.

If I'm Dallas, I don't trade Glennie for the 15th alone, nevermind adding in Richards Rights.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:56 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
OK. A franchise trades for the rights to Brad Richards that Richards has never played for. A franchise whose coaching and management he has little or no experience with, and they get to spend a week talking with him about their plans for him, where he fits in, the future, what they're targeting to put around him, show him the arena and the city and where he might live, he meets the players (his potential future teammates), who tell him what it's like to live and play in City X, and how much they want him to sign because having him, plus the team around him, they can really take a serious run at that 2nd Cup he wants to win so badly.

Are you really going to sit there and say that the above would have NO effect on his willingness to sign in City X?
It depends on the person. Maybe he's determined to get to free agency and then weigh his options. Or maybe he's already leaning toward signing with that team anyway.

Richards has history with Tortorella and he can't be blind to the fact that the Rangers are interested in him. You think he hasn't already done his homework? I'm sure his agent has advised him of the potential destinations.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:05 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
It depends on the person. Maybe he's determined to get to free agency and then weigh his options. Or maybe he's already leaning toward signing with that team anyway.

Richards has history with Tortorella and he can't be blind to the fact that the Rangers are interested in him. You think he hasn't already done his homework? I'm sure his agent has advised him of the potential destinations.
I think Richards has been to New York enough now and been around the block long enough to hear other teamates and players lets say at the All-Star weekend and such talk about what it is like to play in New York City and the media coverage as well as the lush environment of living the good life in Central Park area and whatnot.

I really think trading for Richards rights FOR NEW YORK doesnt make too much sense. For someone like Toronto or Buffalo or even Los Angeles it is a better Idea. Get to know the coaching staff, the owner(s) and the area. Tort's I am SURE has sold Richards on New York. I know that is against NHL rules and reg's. But you can NOT sit there and tell me two old friends (torts and richards) call one another on the phone and gab about their situations on each team and talk about what the future might hold for each other and their franchises. You cant tell me Torts hasnt sat there and talked Brad into wanting to come to the Rangers? Is it against the rules? You can bet your sweet ass it is. But do you HONESTLY think Brad or John is going to the media screaming, "Hey this guy was talking to me about me coming and I want to be the whistle blower!"? I doubt it VERY HIGHLY. It happens all the time. Just us fans are not privy to that information. Its like you and your friend talking about something that you technically are not allowed to talk about. You think either one of you are going to tell each other's parent(s) or teacher you two were talking about whatever it was you were talking about? Hell no. Same thing applies here. It happens every day.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:

Despite quite not living up to top 10 pick, Glennie alone is worth more than the 15th pick. Especially in this draft.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
Despite quite not living up to top 10 pick, Glennie alone is worth more than the 15th pick. Especially in this draft.
True, what is his scouting reports tho and how has he progressed the past couple of seasons? Im sure we would have to add more to the trade but could Glennie + Richards Rights for the 15th pick and something else be a trade that could work between the two teams?

Old
05-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues22 View Post
no one is saying the stars should do that, but the op was asking what needed to be added to richards rights to get #15, considering richards rights arent worth much according to most fans glennie sounds reasonable
I wouldn't trade Glennie for the 15th overall pick alone, so in what world is it reasonable? In the inevitable end, the deal eventually becomes a signed Richards + Glennie for 15th overall. That's a fleece if I ever saw one, especially since Glennie is almost NHL ready.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
True, what is his scouting reports tho and how has he progressed the past couple of seasons? Im sure we would have to add more to the trade but could Glennie + Richards Rights for the 15th pick and something else be a trade that could work between the two teams?
You're not getting Glennie period. We finally have a right-handed C/RW and GM Joe reached for this kid 2 years ago.

He had a rough start last season for Brandon, but finished very strong and ended up playing a couple games for the Texas Stars (AHL). He'll probably spend a few games in the AHL next season, but he's almost NHL ready. It really depends how well he plays.

Like someone mentioned, in this draft, with the lack of depth hitting the 1st round, I wouldn't trade Glennie for the 15th or anything else.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 01:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The rights to Dan Hamhuis were swapped twice last June. A bust 1st round pick in Ryan Parent for the rights to Hamhuis and conditional 7th round pick in 11 if Philly didn't sign Hamhuis. Then Philly trade the Hamhuis rights to Pittsburgh for a 3rd round pick in 11.

The rights to Jay Bouwmeester were moved for a 3rd round pick(#67 overall)and the negotiating rights to Jordan Leopold.

Ryan Malone's rights were traded for a conditional 4th which became a 3rd when he signed with TB.

#57 to the Stars for the negotiating rights to Brad Richards is a generous deal when you compare it other similar deals. There is no guarantee Richards will even sign with the Rangers just like Hamhuis didn't sign with Philly and Pittsburgh.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
You're not getting Glennie period. We finally have a right-handed C/RW and GM Joe reached for this kid 2 years ago.

He had a rough start last season for Brandon, but finished very strong and ended up playing a couple games for the Texas Stars (AHL). He'll probably spend a few games in the AHL next season, but he's almost NHL ready. It really depends how well he plays.

Like someone mentioned, in this draft, with the lack of depth hitting the 1st round, I wouldn't trade Glennie for the 15th or anything else.
Arite relax, no harm in asking about a prospect and if something could be built around that type of deal.

Old
05-23-2011, 02:25 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post

Neither would I, but that's what I think it would take to get NYR to listen for the 15th overall, which is the point of this thread, and why I brought him up earlier.

Also, I wouldn't call him almost NHL ready. He might be at this time next year if all goes well.

He's not really a sniper either, since I saw that adjective used above. Benn was a sniper in junior. Glennie is more of a playmaker who can also get it done solo if needed. His offensive game is the part that's essentially ready, his defensive commitment and team-play are what need professional seasoning.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 02:35 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Re: Glennie

Like Ogi said, he didn't have the best start to the season last year but he seemed to rebound. I think it was last summer or maybe early fall when a WHL scout alluded to teammates questioning his heart, telling this scout something along the lines of "he's injured when he needs to be" or somesuch. His heart and work ethic have been question marks since before the draft IIRC. The story goes that Stars Player Development Consultant Gary Roberts met with Glennie at some point during the middle of last season and that not too long after that his play started to improve. It could be a coincidence or Glennie may have gotten a kick in the pants that he will not be given anything just because he was a high 1st round pick. In any case, given the time and energy the Stars have spent on him it seems rather pointless to trade him away at this point, especially given that he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in juniors.

I do disagree with the "almost NHL ready" tag though. Due to his history of questionable work ethic it would seem that he is one of those prospects who needs to season in the minors and blow the doors off to get a good long look in the show. He may be the Stars' most talented forward prospect but I'm dubious of him and do not consider him to be our best forward prospect. He's in the mix with Reilly Smith and Alex Chiasson.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote