HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

4th line for Game 4

Old
05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
4th line for Game 4

I'd like to see: McGinn-Desjardins-McCarthy. I think Ferriero is a little to soft for that line.

What about you guys?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:57 PM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
McGinn looked pretty good to me (that call on his hit was too harsh imo...), Mayers looked pretty good, and I'd probably put Nichol back in over Desjardins if Nichol isn't injured...

BigDmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:58 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

same as it was tonight. mayers was key blocking shots on the pk

McLovin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post
same as it was tonight. mayers was key blocking shots on the pk
I never notice Mayers out there. Maybe it's just me.

I also think Mitchell sucked ass. He needs to be played on the 4th line.

Old
05-20-2011, 11:01 PM
SC2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDmitriy View Post
McGinn looked pretty good to me (that call on his hit was too harsh imo...), Mayers looked pretty good, and I'd probably put Nichol back in over Desjardins if Nichol isn't injured...
I agree. Nichol needs to be back for his face-off and PKing. We were horrid in the face-off circle tonight.

Pavs is having his worst series in awhile.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:02 PM
mfw13

I don't think we'll be seeing DesJardins or McGinn again for a while. If there is one think you ask of your 4th liners, it's that the don't take dumb penalties. The call against McGinn was harsh, but he shouldn't be taking risks like that with a 3-goal lead and ten minutes left anyway.

mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:06 PM
rangerssharks414

I'm still not sure if McGinn will be suspended or not. Mayers was good on the penalty kill. I'd keep him in. Desjardins took a few dumb penalties. If McGinn is eligible to play, he should. He played well, but he needs to show more discipline.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Kitten Mittons

Eager-Desjardins-McGinn

All game in the sin bin.

Old
05-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Felys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
I'm still not sure if McGinn will be suspended or not. Mayers was good on the penalty kill. I'd keep him in. Desjardins took a few dumb penalties. If McGinn is eligible to play, he should. He played well, but he needs to show more discipline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Rules 23.3
In Playoff games, any player who incurs a total of two game misconduct penalties in the “General Category” shall be suspended automatically for the next Playoff game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty during the Playoffs, the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game. For each suspension of a player during Playoffs, his club shall be fined one thousand dollars ($1,000).
For a list of infractions involving game misconducts that are included in the “General Category”, please refer to the Reference Tables – Table 10 – Summary of Game Misconduct Fouls Included in the “General Category”. See specific rule numbers for complete descriptions.
Charging falls under this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Rules 23.5
In Playoff games any player who incurs a total of two (2) game misconduct penalties for stick-related infractions, Boarding – Rule 42, or Checking from Behind – Rule 44, shall be suspended automatically for the next Playoff game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty in this category during the Playoffs the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.
Boarding falls under this.

As far as I can tell, he SHOULDN'T be, but we will hear from the wheel of justice tomorrow, won't we?

Felys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
McGinn is sitting for that hit whether he is suspended or not. That's a bad penalty to take no matter your view of the hit. He's got to let up there or make sure that he's not hitting him into the boards. I still would not put Eager into game four. Give me...

Mashinter-Nichol-Mayers

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
I don't think we'll be seeing DesJardins or McGinn again for a while. If there is one think you ask of your 4th liners, it's that the don't take dumb penalties. The call against McGinn was harsh, but he shouldn't be taking risks like that with a 3-goal lead and ten minutes left anyway.

In the post-game presser Todd said he really liked how the 4th line played, I'm thinking he leaves them all in for Game 4.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptivAte View Post
Charging falls under this.

Boarding falls under this.

As far as I can tell, he SHOULDN'T be, but we will hear from the wheel of justice tomorrow, won't we?
It wasn't shown here but I'm assuming that charging falls under this. It wasn't a boarding call that was his first from the Kings. It was a charge and it also is not known, at least not to me, whether they rescinded the misconduct which does occur from time to time.

Old
05-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
In the post-game presser Todd said he really liked how the 4th line played, I'm thinking he leaves them all in for Game 4.
I'm glad. Not impressed with Mayers but he provides some veteran presence, I guess.

Old
05-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Felys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It wasn't shown here but I'm assuming that charging falls under this. It wasn't a boarding call that was his first from the Kings. It was a charge and it also is not known, at least not to me, whether they rescinded the misconduct which does occur from time to time.
McGinn recieved a Charging miscon. against LAK, and a Boarding miscon. against VAN tonight. As far as I can tell they're seperate categories and thusly he evades an automatic.

Felys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:16 PM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2008 View Post
I agree. Nichol needs to be back for his face-off and PKing. We were horrid in the face-off circle tonight.

Pavs is having his worst series in awhile.
Precisely. Nichol needs to be back for face-offs and PKing...Pavs looked awesome on the PK today, and seemed to be getting his s*** back together. Go Sharks. :-)

BigDmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Kitten Mittons

Nichol hasn't been all that good. He is 52% on the faceoffs and I can't say I liked his game so far this playoffs. Desjardins is at 50% in a small sample size but I think he is a better fit.

Old
05-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I'm glad. Not impressed with Mayers but he provides some veteran presence, I guess.

Nichol has been worse IMO.

Old
05-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Sharksfan83

vCash: 50
Move Mitchell to the 4th and re-organize the 3rd line.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:25 PM
SJSharkzie

Boy did the 4th line come up big tonight. Wasn't sure how I felt about the full change up at first, but it didn't take long to convince me. Good move by Tmac.

SJSharkzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:40 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I agree. I think it can still be a little better with the likes of McCarthy in Mayers spot. Other than the terrible penalty from McGinn tonight, I think he gave us some very good support in which we badly needed from the 4th line. I wonder if he will get any suspension time for the hit?

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
Move Mitchell to the 4th and re-organize the 3rd line.

I'd say either keep the 4th line intact or do this and move McGinn up to the 3rd.

Old
05-21-2011, 12:25 AM
jwhitesj

The 4th line was a big reason why the Sharks won tonight, every one of those guys contributed in very significant ways. I dont' care if you think McGinn should have let up PF because a hockey player should never be afraid to finish a hit like that. I don't want guys letting up and it's not McGinns fault that Rome tried to turn away from the hit. McGinn was one of tonights stars. The Cancuks couldn't handle is hard forecheck and he caused several turnovers. He may have gotten the penalty that almost alowed Vancouver to win, but tonight McGin was a difference maker in a more postive way than a negative. Not to mention he took out both Rome and Ehrhoff on legal hockey hits.

Mayers was critical in this game as well. I dont' really like Mayers, but this was one of his best games as a Shark. He was huge on the PK and really helped on the defensive side of things for that line.

Desjardins is a better option at this point then Nichol. He just brings a lot more energy than Nichol has been bringing. He's a really smart hockey player and he has size that Nichol lacks.

I wouldn't change a thing about this line.

McGinn-Desjardins-Mayers
FTW

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
The 4th line was a big reason why the Sharks won tonight, every one of those guys contributed in very significant ways. I dont' care if you think McGinn should have let up PF because a hockey player should never be afraid to finish a hit like that. I don't want guys letting up and it's not McGinns fault that Rome tried to turn away from the hit. McGinn was one of tonights stars. The Cancuks couldn't handle is hard forecheck and he caused several turnovers. He may have gotten the penalty that almost alowed Vancouver to win, but tonight McGin was a difference maker in a more postive way than a negative. Not to mention he took out both Rome and Ehrhoff on legal hockey hits.

Mayers was critical in this game as well. I dont' really like Mayers, but this was one of his best games as a Shark. He was huge on the PK and really helped on the defensive side of things for that line.

Desjardins is a better option at this point then Nichol. He just brings a lot more energy than Nichol has been bringing. He's a really smart hockey player and he has size that Nichol lacks.

I wouldn't change a thing about this line.

McGinn-Desjardins-Mayers
FTW
McGinn absolutely must pick his spots better. And especially now. He's building a reputation as a dangerous hitter. I don't want him to be afraid to finish a hit but you have to make absolutely certain that you're not going to hurt your team in the process. This is one of those lines that players have to learn to straddle with their physicality. You can hate the call all you want but that's an area on the ice that you have to take extra precaution or you run that risk and the subsequent response to the major is why you can't just go fearless and recklessly into a player along the boards.

I'd much rather have the guys lay off hits that they shouldn't than have guys nail people in those areas as taking those majors and even minors like that will come back to bite you...especially against Vancouver and especially with our PK.

Old
05-21-2011, 12:42 AM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
McGinn absolutely must pick his spots better. And especially now. He's building a reputation as a dangerous hitter. I don't want him to be afraid to finish a hit but you have to make absolutely certain that you're not going to hurt your team in the process. This is one of those lines that players have to learn to straddle with their physicality. You can hate the call all you want but that's an area on the ice that you have to take extra precaution or you run that risk and the subsequent response to the major is why you can't just go fearless and recklessly into a player along the boards.

I'd much rather have the guys lay off hits that they shouldn't than have guys nail people in those areas as taking those majors and even minors like that will come back to bite you...especially against Vancouver and especially with our PK.
I'm not going to change your mind, and your not going to change mine. I know how persistant you can be with trying to convince people that your view is the correct one, but I just don't buy it in this case. McGinn played a great game and I want him back in there for game 4. I don't want McGinn to change anything about how he plays.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
I'm not going to change your mind, and your not going to change mine. I know how persistant you can be with trying to convince people that your view is the correct one, but I just don't buy it in this case. McGinn played a great game and I want him back in there for game 4. I don't want McGinn to change anything about how he plays.
I believe McGinn played a great game up until that point. I want McGinn to maintain his aggressiveness but he has to smarten up on this. His coach thought it was the right call. And as much as we want to maintain aggressiveness and punishing the opponent, you can't do it at the expense of the team and the reality of the game today is that if he does that again, it will be called again and especially since he's been kicked out of two playoff games for pretty much the same thing.