HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Players the Isles Should Target

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2011, 05:52 PM
seafoam

vCash: 446
Players the Isles Should Target

In your opinion who do you think the Isles should target this offseason as UFA's or through a trade? Explain why. Should Garth make one or two minor signings and wait for someone through waivers like Grabner etc? Or should he go after some top tier players like Parise or Erhhoff or w.e?

Old
05-21-2011, 06:00 PM
seafoam

Another comment, i'm sure whatever path Garth takes it will be the right one. I have trust in him and I feel Wang will start to spend with the new arena hopefully on the way!

Old
05-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshalling View Post
In your opinion who do you think the Isles should target this offseason as UFA's or through a trade? Explain why. Should Garth make one or two minor signings and wait for someone through waivers like Grabner etc? Or should he go after some top tier players like Parise or Erhhoff or w.e?
Not really going to get into who should be targeted -- don't feel it makes a lot of sense until it gets closer to July 1st and there's a good idea of who'll even be available -- but I definitely would not advocate planning for another waiver gift like Grabner. That's something that is exceedingly rare. By and large, players on waivers are there for a good reason and they aren't guys you make room for.

Old
05-21-2011, 06:09 PM
CodeE

You know, this is the first offseason where I really don't care. A top-4 defenseman like Ehrhoff would be nice, but I'll believe it when I see the press conference. The past 5 summers Islander fans have targeted and hoped for the top free agents, saying how the Chris Drurys and Ilya Kovalchuks of the world will save the franchise, and we never get them. This franchise is getting better and it's getting better with draft picks, waiver pickups, and free agents nobody else wants. Unrestricted free agents is simply not the best path for the Islanders.

Old
05-21-2011, 08:04 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Medical Staff

I'm just praying Landeskog falls to us

Last edited by OrangeZebra: 05-21-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old
05-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Medical Staff
This.

Ehroff would be nice too.

Old
05-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Boik14

Parise and a 2nd pairing Dman would be amazing but Im not holding my breath for either let alone both.

If Wang is going to continue to put the clamps down on the purse-strings then Garth needs to continue to do what hes done best which is find players in unconventional ways and via the draft/player development. I mean the job Garth has done is phenomenal and a lesser GM would have caved under the circumstances Garth has faced. Instead even if we do nothing in FA we are still on the way up.

Old
05-21-2011, 10:43 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisacodee View Post
You know, this is the first offseason where I really don't care. A top-4 defenseman like Ehrhoff would be nice, but I'll believe it when I see the press conference. The past 5 summers Islander fans have targeted and hoped for the top free agents, saying how the Chris Drurys and Ilya Kovalchuks of the world will save the franchise, and we never get them. This franchise is getting better and it's getting better with draft picks, waiver pickups, and free agents nobody else wants. Unrestricted free agents is simply
not the best path for the Islanders.
I agree. In a way, I see the Isles starting to look the Predators. Our styles of play aren't similar but they build their franchise through the draft and small pick ups. I see the Isles being like this through the rebuild and beyond. IMO, this is the way to go because your prospects get brought up learning your system and it looks good. I'm really excited for this upcoming season, and I get excited real early and we end up getting a high draft pick but I feel like this is the year we break into the 15-20 range for the '12 draft

Old
05-22-2011, 01:22 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

I'd go after Scottie Upshall (2nd line W) and Vernon Fiddler (4th line C).

Upshall:
Quote:
ASSETS: Is a fiery competitor and backs down from no one. Has solid skating ability and loves to work the corners. Can play either wing position effectively and is fairly responsible defensively.

FLAWS: Needs to avoid injuries, since his rambunctious style can lead to issues in that department. His trash-talking ways can also get him into trouble, as well as his team. Is inconsistent in the scoring department.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Agitating two-way winger.
22G, 12A in 82 games.

Fiddler:
Quote:
ASSETS: Plays with hockey smarts, can get under opponents' skin, displays solid defensive instincts and sound face-off skills. Can play either center or wing.

FLAWS: Lacks offensive acumen. Isn't big or overly physical. Doesn't display enough two-way consistency to secure more ice time.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Agitating defensive center.
Had 6 goals and 16 assists in 71 games, was +3 and won 53% of his faceoffs.

Old
05-22-2011, 06:27 AM
Isles72

I doubt we'll be able to attract Ehrhoff without solid plans for the arena.

Upshall is a realistic target that I've brought up from time to time --his injury history scares me but I'd still risk it .

Snow has a thing for jovocop -dont be surprised to see them overpay to get him here.

Old
05-22-2011, 09:10 AM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

I'm going to say McCabe because I have it from a pretty reliable source that he is getting pressure to sign close to his LI homes. And the that Rangers aren't a good fit because they practice in Westchester.

Old
05-22-2011, 09:15 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
I doubt we'll be able to attract Ehrhoff without solid plans for the arena.

Upshall is a realistic target that I've brought up from time to time --his injury history scares me but I'd still risk it .

Snow has a thing for jovocop -dont be surprised to see them overpay to get him here.
Isn't Jovo the one who elbowed Tavares two seasons ago? I guess Snow has a thing for defensemen who cheapshot our young stars (Mottau).

Old
05-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Pondwaterpierre*

Jason Arnott. He still has some left in the tank, and he is a big body presence with a lot of experience.

Old
05-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
I'm going to say McCabe because I have it from a pretty reliable source that he is getting pressure to sign close to his LI homes. And the that Rangers aren't a good fit because they practice in Westchester.
Yep, a lot of us have figured there's a real good chance he could wind up here again.

Might be a good fit, especially if his chief duty in an Islander uniform is to provide a solid PP presence and some experience.

I'd argue that a guy like Martinek is a better defenseman, and it doesn't look like Radek will be resigned, although I think many of us like him more than Jurcina, Eaton and Mottau.

It'll be interesting to see what happens up front. One more top 9 winger and then there's theoretically little room for Niederreiter, who arguably has nothing left to prove in the WHL.

Old
05-22-2011, 10:54 AM
BennyBST

How about Jonathan Ericsson? 27, playoff experienced, big and fairly tough.. Seems like a good guy to get if we can't land Ehrhoff or Bieksa. He would also come cheaper then those two.

Old
05-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 3700
just give me bieksa.

moulson-tavares-parenteau
grabner-nielsen-okposo
comeau-bailey-niedereitter
martin-konopka-hunter
haley

streit-bieksa
macdonald-hamonic
eaton-jurcina
hillen/martinek

montoya
dipietro

trade mottau and nabokov

great defense, great offense bad goaltending. montoya should get more start but i think the isles will play dipietro more regardless of whos better.

Old
05-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
How about Jonathan Ericsson? 27, playoff experienced, big and fairly tough.. Seems like a good guy to get if we can't land Ehrhoff or Bieksa. He would also come cheaper then those two.
I still wouldn't mind seeing Snow trying to move Nabokov and the rights to Gregoire and Joensuu for Hudler and Ericsson, since it seems like Detroit is looking to move Hudler and doesn't look to come to terms with Ericsson (although Swedish reports indicate that talks are going better than initial reports have stated). I think we'd be fairly set as Hudler has a certain level of creativity that I think would fit real well here while Ericsson is another big man who is a bit of an all-rounder. Neither is cheap but certainly both are affordable for the Isles and there's no guarantee that Snow can get players of their quality on the open market for the prices they come at.

The deal would seem to make sense for Detroit as well, especially if it could be determined in advance that Gregoire and the Wings would easily agree to terms.

Old
05-22-2011, 11:20 AM
crashthenet

I think Jussi Jokinen would be a good fit for Tavares. Ben Eager an upgrade for the 4th line, maybe Asham or Rupp.

Old
05-22-2011, 11:29 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondwaterpierre View Post
Jason Arnott. He still has some left in the tank, and he is a big body presence with a lot of experience.
If we drafted Sean Couturier, Arnott would be a great mentor to him. They both play the same style of hockey from what I've heard.

Old
05-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

With the way Bieksa has been playing these olayoffs, I can't see Vancouver letting him walk.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
With the way Bieksa has been playing these olayoffs, I can't see Vancouver letting him walk.
change bieksa to byfuglien and vancouver to chicago. sorry, i just remember hearing things like that last year but then the cap comes into play. vancouver also has to sign erhroff and already have edler, hamhuis and ballard. btw, i wouldnt mind trading for ballard.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:24 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
change bieksa to byfuglien and vancouver to chicago. sorry, i just remember hearing things like that last year but then the cap comes into play. vancouver also has to sign erhroff and already have edler, hamhuis and ballard. btw, i wouldnt mind trading for ballard.
Ballard would be a guy I'd trade for.. However.. He's signed until 2014-2015 at 4.2 million per season. He's a nice top 4 defenseman, but is he worth 4.2 million?

I wonder what Vancouver would want in return?

Old
05-22-2011, 12:31 PM
crashthenet

Wonder what the kings would want for Moller?

Old
05-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Aldous Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
Ballard would be a guy I'd trade for.. However.. He's signed until 2014-2015 at 4.2 million per season. He's a nice top 4 defenseman, but is he worth 4.2 million?

I wonder what Vancouver would want in return?
Considering they are looking to shed salary something might make sense around Hillen + some draft picks/lesser prospects. Can't imagine there are too many teams looking to take on 3MM and give up good prospects when they can just go out and sign someone in FA.

I like Hillen a lot but it seems like other guys who fill a similar role have ascended past him. Not to mention higher ceiling guys like De Haan and Donovan waiting in the wings.

Signing Bieksa would obviously be the top choice since it only costs $ and he is killing it this post season, although one wonders if that's not just a coincidence. His injury history also gives some pause as well.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:46 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

The top two lines cannot be changed unless we remove Parenteau and add RW that is capable of playing with Tavares. Reality is, Parenteau will be here next year and clearly has the potential to put up the points. Is he great? No, he's pretty much "not good". But he puts up the points and is good with JT. He's here to stay next year, then it's "so long PA!" in 12-13.

Scottie Upshall is more suited for the 3rd line, where I think he would be a good fit. He's very similar to Comeau. I can't see a scenario where Nino doesn't make the team, although I'd like to see that happen to "overdevelop" him like the Blues did with Pietrangelo. You can't make a wrong decision with this.

As for a defenseman, I'd love to get one of Bieksa, White, or Babchuk. I'd also like to sign Mathieu Garon.

Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Comeau-Bailey-Upshall/Niederreiter
Martin-Konopka-Hunter/Haley

Streit-Bieksa/White/Babchuk
MacDonald-Hamonic
Eaton-Jurcina
Mottau/Wishart

Montoya
DiPietro/Garon

Closed Thread