HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Players the Isles Should Target

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

vCash: 500
Strange. Last night I had a dream that Jagr played for the Islanders. and this morning I wake up & see that he's thinking about a return to the NHL.

At 40 years old I say HELL NO. But just thought it was strange that I had that dream & then see that article.

Old
06-18-2011, 12:39 PM
LaddyBuck
One More Astronaut

I'm guessing that with the Gillies signing, it's time for me to start pimping the idea of trading with Anaheim for Kyle Chipchura again to replace him.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Tuckisles

Raffi Torres would bring some nice grit wth the ability to score a bit. Would love to add him and keep Haley to play every night. Gillies dresses when necessary.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckisles View Post
Raffi Torres would bring some nice grit wth the ability to score a bit. Would love to add him and keep Haley to play every night. Gillies dresses when necessary.
Meh. I like Torres and would have been in favor of this a few years ago. But I think the top 3 lines are already set. Torres isn't good enough to bump Moulson, Parenteau, Grabner or Okposo off the top 2 lines. The Isles are going to want Nino on the 3rd line, and I'm not sure if Torres is even better than Comeau. If he is, I don't think the improvement is big enough where you can justify the salary Torres will likely receive on the open market compared to what Comeau will sign for as a RFA.

I also really love the combo of Nino - Bailey - Comeau. Honestly I think playing with those 2 are really going to help Bailey break out of his shell. I really like the dynamics of that line and I'd be very hesitent to break it up for anything short of a legit 1st line talent (which pushes others down)

Then again, as much as I like that potential 3rd line, if you told me that adding Torres would mean Nino would stay in Portland, I'd be all in favor of signing Raffi. Plus Torres does have similar skills (just not as good) as Nino projects to have. Those dynamics I like would still be present on that 3rd line.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:24 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

According to Dreger Regehr and Bouwmeester are both available.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:15 PM
seafoam
no

vCash: 50
Regher to buffalo

Old
06-26-2011, 03:16 PM
SpeedDemon

After watching the playoffs I'll say one thing

Throw an offer at Hansen no matter how ridiculous and hope the Canucks don't match it. I think he'd be a nice fit with Grabner and Nielsen. Very speedy 2nd line. Also takes fire power to the 3rd with having KO play with Comeau and Bailey (assuming both resign)

Old
06-26-2011, 05:15 PM
seafoam
no

We can all agree the chemistry was between Nielsen and Grabs, with saying that, I believe this team could easily be a playoff team with a right wing with speed to play with Nielsen and Grabs and bump down KO to play with Bailey and Combs. Also a top d-man like Erhoff to play with Streit will make this team scary.

And yes I think Nino should be sent to the dub along with Stromy to the O.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:19 PM
crashthenet

If anyone is interested, TFP'S top 30:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/top30.html

Old
06-26-2011, 05:27 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by upshalling View Post
We can all agree the chemistry was between Nielsen and Grabs, with saying that, I believe this team could easily be a playoff team with a right wing with speed to play with Nielsen and Grabs and bump down KO to play with Bailey and Combs. Also a top d-man like Erhoff to play with Streit will make this team scary.

And yes I think Nino should be sent to the dub along with Stromy to the O.
I don't see what Nino has left to accomplish in the WHL. It would be one thing if we could send him to the AHL, but unfortunately it's either WHL or NHL. If we were to add a speedy RW like you say, I think it would make more sense to bump Okposo up to the 1st line with Moulson and Tavares, and play Nino on the 3rd with Bailey and Comeau.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:41 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I don't see what Nino has left to accomplish in the WHL. It would be one thing if we could send him to the AHL, but unfortunately it's either WHL or NHL. If we were to add a speedy RW like you say, I think it would make more sense to bump Okposo up to the 1st line with Moulson and Tavares, and play Nino on the 3rd with Bailey and Comeau.
I like that except that means that puts PAP on the 2nd line and I don't see him working with Neilsen and Grabs. Okposo's smarts and toughness and all out effort makes him a perfect fit to spring his speedy line mates.

I hope Okposo can continue to show the growth he displayed in '09 and force himself to be used on the top line. We'll see, though I think he can be a top 2nd line winger for many years.

Nino and/or Strome will prob be legit top line guys in 2/3 years and that's when the real fun begins. This being said, a top 6 forward will nicely round out our F corps and provide needed depth against injuries. I'd like to retain Martinek or get a top 4 Dman and see what happens. Maybe with our prospect pool and surprising 2nd half last season, we may be able to draw some B talent.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:53 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
id like to see bergfors given a shot. i still love the little scamp. and hes a penguin killer which is plus. hes gonna have to get his head together and take the good with the bad, especially if he ends up in chateau bow wow. if he can put his **** together, hes a very good player. if not, its back to sweden.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:49 PM
seafoam
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post

Parenteau is under contract, and nino may not have anything the prove in the dub but I feel like a signing like brunette, laich, upshall, or fleishman would help out Bailey. Why rush niño?

Old
06-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Dice on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Absolutely perfect fit.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:18 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

I've always been a fan of over-ripening our prospects. We haven't done that the last several years, but we had little choice. I think the organization is at the point now where we can be patient with our draft choices.

With that being said, Nino has shown me that he has nothing left to prove at the Junior level. It would be so ideal for him to go to Bridgeport next year, but that's not an option. I think the Isles have pretty much penciled him on the 3rd line with Bailey and Comeau.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:19 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post
Absolutely perfect fit.
Wow, Dice on Ice! It's been a while since I've seen you on here. What happened to you?

Old
06-26-2011, 09:20 PM
seafoam
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post
Absolutely perfect fit.
I started a thread a few days back saying this and I didn't have a link to prove he was on the block so they shut it down and I too think he'd be a perfect fit but everybody bashed him on my thread

Old
06-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I've always been a fan of over-ripening our prospects. We haven't done that the last several years, but we had little choice. I think the organization is at the point now where we can be patient with our draft choices.

With that being said, Nino has shown me that he has nothing left to prove at the Junior level. It would be so ideal for him to go to Bridgeport next year, but that's not an option. I think the Isles have pretty much penciled him on the 3rd line with Bailey and Comeau.

I think the Islanders are hoping Nino forces himself into the lineup, but I doubt he's already penciled in. For the first time in a long time the Islanders dong have to rush prospects.

Nino had a great season in the WHL and put up some gaudy numbers, but he disappeared in the playoffs.

I hope to see Nino on the Islanders next season, but its not the worst thing in the world to send him back.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:42 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Why trade? Jbo has a terrible contract for his performance to date.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:31 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
I think the Islanders are hoping Nino forces himself into the lineup, but I doubt he's already penciled in. For the first time in a long time the Islanders dong have to rush prospects.

Nino had a great season in the WHL and put up some gaudy numbers, but he disappeared in the playoffs.

I hope to see Nino on the Islanders next season, but its not the worst thing in the world to send him back.
27 pts in 21 games is not disappearing in the playoffs imo.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Bunk Moreland

In case anyone didn't see it Botta put up his UFA post part 1 on pointblank, with the first part summing up the forwards. He lists Ville Leino, Joel Ward, Brooks Laich, Tomas Fleischmann, Jussi Jokinen and Eric Cole as the main players to watch plus a few others on one year deals.

Here's the link: http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...the-islanders/

Old
06-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post

Its not always about points. Im going from what I read from a scout. He faded as the playoffs went on. All reports suggest Johansen carried the Winterhawks...

Quote:
"Absolutely invisible. Not a factor against Kootenay at all and for a guy who hung around the NHL at the start of the year before he was sent back down you would have expected a lot more from him."
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?...41545&count=11

Old
06-26-2011, 11:26 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Its not always about points. Im going from what I read from a scout. He faded as the playoffs went on. All reports suggest Johansen carried the Winterhawks...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?...41545&count=11
i don't disagree with him having a bad series against kootenay, but does 1 bad series against a juggernaut team make for a bad playoffs as a whole? not to me.

fwiw though, i am one of those in favor of sending him back unless he's absolutely lights out in preseason.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:29 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
well...10 of those points came in a four game sweep of portland's first round series. as the playoffs went on his production decreased. 8 points in a 6 game series against kelowna, 5 points in a 6 game series against spokane, and 4 points in a 5 game series loss in the final.

did he disappear? no. however, he didn't do what was expected of him, imo.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Kevin27nyi
HoSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
well...10 of those points came in a four game sweep of portland's first round series. as the playoffs went on his production decreased. 8 points in a 6 game series against kelowna, 5 points in a 6 game series against spokane, and 4 points in a 5 game series loss in the final.

did he disappear? no. however, he didn't do what was expected of him, imo.
could he have been overworked? NHL schedule (prospect camp + training camp + preseason + first 9 games) to WHL then to WJC and then back to WHL and WHL playoffs. That's a lot of hockey in one year.

Closed Thread