HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

44th Obsequious Banter Thread - The Most Interesting Thread in the World

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2011, 10:14 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
According to CNN, it looks like the case against Dominique Strauss-Kahn is coming apart at the seams. Not a good week for the prosecution in high-profile cases: Casey Anthony acquitted, Montreal cardiologist Guy Turcotte (who admitted to stabbing his two children to death) being found not criminally responsible for his actions, and now this.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:18 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Cesar Milan might have something to say about all this.
I actually did just read his book on 'raising the perfect puppy.'

It was highly informative, but everything about it is a very idealized how-to. It's basically, here's the best possible way to do everything if you have a dog who is perfectly even-tempered and dandy.

It really didn't provide much information on how much gray area there can be, or what to do if everything isn't totally perfect and easy to manage. I mean, it's great to have an ideal situation, but not practical for everyone.

Thanks for all of the info, though, you guys...it really helps.

Oh, and Woof, unfortunately I'm in NYC, so you wouldn't be an option, haha.

I have read a lot on the costs and amount of time and patience required for a great many things. Also, my apartment is pretty spacious - my bedroom is about 20 x 11. So eventually it would be given all of that space to play in, and after it grows comfortable in that area I could let it out into the living room which gives it about another 40 square feet to play in. I feel like, once it's properly housebroken, it would have a fair amount of room to enjoy. I'm also only a few blocks from Central Park, so we would have a lot of walks/runs and playtime there.

I really feel like I could provide a puppy with a whole lot - except for the fact that I'm tied in at work for so long every day, and could only go home to walk it once a day (for a finite period of time). It's kind of frustrating knowing that one hurdle can be such a major dealbreaker. I mean, I understand, but it's just really hard to figure out at what age, for what breed, it might be doable...if it is at all.

Old
07-07-2011, 02:10 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

I'm watching the replay of game 1 vs Buffalo, and can I just say Rick Tocchet is painful to listen to. It's like if John Stevens tried doing color commentary.

(edit: fairly sure it's Rick. Sounds like him anyhoo.)

Old
07-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Yet another question for you guys,

So I ordered a Couturier jersey off of eBay. The store was reputable and they actually have a real sporting goods store up in Quebec. So I know (well I'd like to think) that I'm not getting scammed. The jersey itself was $250 and shipping via UPS was $35, all of that was paid for. Now it was supposed to be delivered today but I find that it wasn't delivered because I owe $113 on a C.O.D. is this coming from the seller or is it from UPS due to import charges or something? I've been trying to find answers but I'm at work so the phone isnt the easiest thing to find stuff. I don't want to pay $400 for a Drummondville jersey.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
07-07-2011, 02:50 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'm working with an item at work that has prongs on it. I keep typing "pronger."

FML, I'm obsessed.

Old
07-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I'm working with an item at work that has prongs on it. I keep typing "pronger."

FML, I'm obsessed.
Does it prong?

Then it is, technically, a "pronger."

07-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post

So I ordered a Couturier jersey off of eBay. The store was reputable and they actually have a real sporting goods store up in Quebec. So I know (well I'd like to think) that I'm not getting scammed. The jersey itself was $250 and shipping via UPS was $35, all of that was paid for. Now it was supposed to be delivered today but I find that it wasn't delivered because I owe $113 on a C.O.D. is this coming from the seller or is it from UPS due to import charges or something? I've been trying to find answers but I'm at work so the phone isnt the easiest thing to find stuff. I don't want to pay $400 for a Drummondville jersey.
I typed the terms Couturier Jersey into eBay and got these 2 results:
Jerseys.

Now, the details seem to fit what you described quite closely and if this is who you purchased it off of I'm going to take a guess and say it an issue with the seller. I haven't had a problem with UPS or any other delivery company where a delivery charge was that far from the actual cost, but I guess it's still a possibility. I'll venture that since there is a Canada/U.S. delivery option and a separate international option (which no doubt would be pricier) something got screwed up here and this might be the source of the problem. If it is this seller you bought items for, they do have 3 negative reviews relating to S/H as well.

Old
07-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Hollywood Couturier

It's all UPS. Figured it all out. Learned my lesson to never get a package shipped from UPS from Canada to the US.

Old
07-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Wow, well I was off. Good to hear it's fixed.

Old
07-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Wow, well I was off. Good to hear it's fixed.
Not exactly fixed. But at least I know I wasn't getting scammed by the Seller, just UPS.

Old
07-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
It's all UPS. Figured it all out. Learned my lesson to never get a package shipped from UPS from Canada to the US.
Vice versa suck also (from US to CAN via UPS). The UPS delivery guy told me that if the seller paid for "expedited" shipping, you save about 75% of customs fees. He didn't know why, but he delivers all types of packages everyday and noticed that on all the packages.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:38 PM
infidelappel*

What a punch in the dick.

I come home from the gym and decide to work on a 3D model, only to find that my desktop will not turn on at all for no apparent reason, my Maya license expired on my laptop.

Since I'm not getting any work done, I decide to install some new games I got on Steam only to find that none of them will run on my Macbook except Portal 2 - which I can't install 'cause Steam's servers are too busy.

At this point, I'm annoyed enough that I want to sleep...except that I drank too much coffee thinking I'd be up late working.

A bunch of first world problems, but **** this anyway. It's just irritating.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
What a punch in the dick.

I come home from the gym and decide to work on a 3D model, only to find that my desktop will not turn on at all for no apparent reason, my Maya license expired on my laptop.

Since I'm not getting any work done, I decide to install some new games I got on Steam only to find that none of them will run on my Macbook except Portal 2 - which I can't install 'cause Steam's servers are too busy.

At this point, I'm annoyed enough that I want to sleep...except that I drank too much coffee thinking I'd be up late working.

A bunch of first world problems, but **** this anyway. It's just irritating.
Why won't it turn on? If it makes no response at all, then I believe there should be a light on the motherboard that indicates if it is receiving power. If that is off, then your PSU likely went out. That's a pretty easy fix. I pulled it off and I don't really know squat about this stuff.*

*Disclaimer: I don't know squat.

Old
07-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:

That's not a good idea. Watch Holgmren trade him next week.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
That's not a good idea. Watch Holgmren trade him next week.
I'm anticipating it for the lulz.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:13 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Why won't it turn on? If it makes no response at all, then I believe there should be a light on the motherboard that indicates if it is receiving power. If that is off, then your PSU likely went out. That's a pretty easy fix. I pulled it off and I don't really know squat about this stuff.*

*Disclaimer: I don't know squat.
That's why it's all so puzzling...I disconnected the PSU and everything, unplugged everything from the wall, plugged it all back in, etc. The motherboard lights indicate power, and when I first plug it in, any USB peripherals briefly will have lights indicating power, but when I push either button (the actual switch, or the start button on the motherboard itself), nothing happens.

It's bizarre, and just suddenly started. Guess I know what my weekend will involve....

Old
07-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
That's why it's all so puzzling...I disconnected the PSU and everything, unplugged everything from the wall, plugged it all back in, etc. The motherboard lights indicate power, and when I first plug it in, any USB peripherals briefly will have lights indicating power, but when I push either button (the actual switch, or the start button on the motherboard itself), nothing happens.

It's bizarre, and just suddenly started. Guess I know what my weekend will involve....
Maybe the power button broke? That sucks.

Old
07-10-2011, 01:54 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Can anyone recommend me some good Scotch about $50 or less? You're best and preferred bottle. I've been looking at Macallan 12 year Highland Single Malt and Glenfiddich 15 year Single Malt.

Old
07-10-2011, 02:23 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

I've sworn off scotch in favor of good bourbon, but in that range you can't go wrong with Highland Park or Oban.

Old
07-10-2011, 02:30 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
I've sworn off scotch in favor of good bourbon, but in that range you can't go wrong with Highland Park or Oban.
Well, technically, I have a list of different things I'd like to get myself when I get a bit extra cash, mainly because I'm ****ing tired of just either having beer (homebrew or witbier) or vodka on hand.

Let me know what you think of this list or what I should be replaced with something else:

Macallan 12 Yr Highland Scotch
Knob Creek Bourbon
Pyrat XO Reserve Rum
Mount Gay Silver Rum
Cabo Wabo Tequila Blanco
Courvoisier VSOP Cognac
Asbach-Uralt German Brandy

EDIT: Apparently I might not be able to get Asbach-Uralt in this state.

Last edited by SolidSnakeUS: 07-10-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old
07-10-2011, 02:45 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

As far as the scotch goes, each of the several regions are pretty distinctive from one another, so try a couple from each! (Islay, Speyside, lowland, etc.) and the McCallan-12 is a Speyside I've had that suited just fine. I like the highland stuff most myself, a group that includes Oban and Glenmorangie.

Can't comment on rum since I hate it or tequila since it makes me an ornery little ******* but Knob Creek is a fine choice for bourbon; personally I am really a fan of Maker's Mark. Delicious.

Old
07-10-2011, 02:51 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
As far as the scotch goes, each of the several regions are pretty distinctive from one another, so try a couple from each! (Islay, Speyside, lowland, etc.) and the McCallan-12 is a Speyside I've had that suited just fine. I like the highland stuff most myself, a group that includes Oban and Glenmorangie.

Can't comment on rum since I hate it or tequila since it makes me an ornery little ******* but Knob Creek is a fine choice for bourbon; personally I am really a fan of Maker's Mark. Delicious.
So I can't go wrong with MaCallan 12 Highland, Oban or Glenmorangie for when it comes to Scotch? Also you would recommend both Knob Creek and Maker's Mark then?

Also, some of these drinks, more with the bourbon and scotch, would be great to just relax and drink, and wouldn't need anyone to be around to enjoy it with, even though I'd like to do it with more people. Would just like to spread out what I have and have more variety to enjoy.

Old
07-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

I've got some Pyrat XO Reserve in my kitchen liquor cabinet right now. I'm not a big rum drinker, but I kinda like this one. But even from what limited brands of rum I have tried I can say this rum is quite unique, and is quite good.

Old
07-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Can anyone recommend me some good Scotch about $50 or less? You're best and preferred bottle. I've been looking at Macallan 12 year Highland Single Malt and Glenfiddich 15 year Single Malt.
Blended Scotch isn't terrible either. Johhny Walker Red and Famous Grouse are both good.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Lend me a hand, anonymous internet friends!

I need a new digital camera. I'm looking to pay between 300-350 bucks, and thinking of something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+...&skuId=1218378

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Closed Thread