05-25-2011, 03:40 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
St. Paul Mayor suggests T-Wolves, Lynx should move to Xcel Center

http://wild.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=62258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild.com
Earlier today, St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman offered up a proposal in which a 2-cent fee would be added to alcoholic beverages sold in bars statewide. He said the money would be used to pay for a new Vikings stadium in Minneapolis, $75 million in upgrades to Xcel Energy Center and recreation fields throughout the state and a new ballpark for the St. Paul Saints.

As part of this proposal, the Target Center in downtown Minneapolis would close, and the NBA’s Minnesota Timberwolves and WNBA’s Minnesota Lynx would move into Xcel Energy Center.
The article continues with a quote from Leipold, who seems to support the idea, and describes the renovations to the X they've been considering.

Personally, not a fan of the idea, at all. The X is (one of) the best arena(s) in the league and I'd love to keep it that way. I can't imagine doubling its annual usage would help the upkeep. Nor does the X need to be clouded with the aura of failure that hovers over the T-Wolves. Mostly, though, I think part of what makes the X a great hockey stadium is that it's just that––a hockey stadium, not a multipurpose sports facility. The North Woods cabin theming, the high school hockey sweaters on the club level, the Zambonis (both the organ and the decommissioned one placed over one of the gates), the puck walls, the hockey history newspapers and memorabilia... I can't imagine the Wolves wouldn't want the hockey centric-ness toned down a bit, and that would be a damned shame.

Last edited by llamapalooza: 05-26-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: updated title
llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
ROFL at "aura of failure"!

yeah...not sure how this would benefit the Wild. The ice would probably suffer, too. So what Leipold gets out of it would be:

maybe a new multi-user practice rink across the street and more revenue from subletting the X to the Wolves/Lynx + more in concert/event revenue from the lack of competition once Target Center shuts down.

I can see why he'd do it, but I agree that it will take away from the overall hockey experience and "feel" of the X and might actually backfire in trying to recapture season ticket revenue. I'm sure the rest will make up for it though ($ wise)

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Leipold would get money for a practice facility and expansion of the Xcel (which would likely have a lot of dining and concession options that would generate lots of income). The X ice would probably suffer a good amount though.

Somebody on the old Wild boards was obsessed with the necessity of a practice facility, although I don't know how doing drills on a different sheet of ice can make you any better than doing it on an NHL rink.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:10 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Get rid of the T-Pups. Keep the Vikings. Problem solved.

Seriously, I want that disaster of a franchise no where near my favorite building. I don't want to step foot in that place and see basketball related crap.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Ha. TP, you really hate the Wolves, don't you? I still have love for the Wolves.. One of these days they're gonna put it together (I sound like a broken record). I'd be heartbroken if they were ever contracted or moved. Probably one of about 35 people that can say that, unfortunately.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:21 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Ha. TP, you really hate the Wolves, don't you? I still have love for the Wolves.. One of these days they're gonna put it together (I sound like a broken record). I'd be heartbroken if they were ever contracted or moved. Probably one of about 35 people that can say that, unfortunately.
Yeah, you are. I've always maintained that I'd give up the Wolves to send them somewhere with NBA fans, just like I'd love to bring southern NHL teams to places with NHL fans.

Old
05-25-2011, 07:08 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Leipold would get money for a practice facility and expansion of the Xcel (which would likely have a lot of dining and concession options that would generate lots of income). The X ice would probably suffer a good amount though.

Somebody on the old Wild boards was obsessed with the necessity of a practice facility, although I don't know how doing drills on a different sheet of ice can make you any better than doing it on an NHL rink.
It works for the Gophers but then again it's not like there are different types of sheets in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Yeah, you are. I've always maintained that I'd give up the Wolves to send them somewhere with NBA fans, just like I'd love to bring southern NHL teams to places with NHL fans.
We have NBA fans in Minnesota. They just aren't Timberwolves fans because well, it's ****ing hard to enjoy a team which makes mind-boggling decision after mind-boggling decision.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 07:23 PM
State of Hockey

If the Timberwolves ever become relevant again, I'd like to see it as a T-Wolf fan. Target Center is a dump compared to the X and is a reason I haven't been to a Wolves games in years. But as a Wild fan, I would hate to see the X turned into a multi-purpose facility. The hockey theme in engrained into that building and shouldn't be changed.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:03 PM
BigT2002

So basically Minneapolis gets the Twins and Ramsey County gets everything else thats a big shift!

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:10 PM
ford0016

yeah ill be disappointed if the wolves move in and changes occur. Like the op said, i love the fact that the wild have their own arena and it shows when you walk in. I dont want to be distracted the other sports when im there.

ford0016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
If the Timberwolves ever become relevant again, I'd like to see it as a T-Wolf fan. Target Center is a dump compared to the X and is a reason I haven't been to a Wolves games in years. But as a Wild fan, I would hate to see the X turned into a multi-purpose facility. The hockey theme in engrained into that building and shouldn't be changed.
Agreed. But maybe Leopold and co. will make the case that the Wolves are so bad that they'd be lucky to play in a "state-of-the-art" arena. I think David Kahn, the Wolves' GM, would choose his battles wisely and wouldn't ask to have more than a little nook in a corner at first. For the first few years, I think about the only thing basketball-related in the X would be a Minneapolis Lakers shrine.

Old
05-25-2011, 08:34 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

no basketball jerseys... please god?

every town of 50 or more has a team--it would just be way too cluttered.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Dampland

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Get rid of the T-Pups. . Problem solved.

Seriously, I want that disaster of a franchise no where near my favorite building. I don't want to step foot in that place and see basketball related crap.

Hear Hear !

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 10:18 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I haven't been down to the Target Center for a couple of years, but has it really gone that far downhill? It was showing it's age, sure, but really?

This would absolutely piss me off. I love that the X is a mecca for hockey. I don't like squeeky ball at all...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 11:45 PM
MNman

Gosh Dangit...give Minnesota fans what we want! And that is a Vikings stadium in Arden Hills. The X is great because it is a hockey arena. The Metrodome is a dump, and the Arden Hills site would be the most prolific sporting event site in the entire Midwest region if it gets built.

If the Timberpuppies want to have their facility improved, they have to get more fans to come first, people won't even take free tickets to a basketball game in Minneapolis right now.

MNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Well if they move, I just hope the X's ice system is good enough then...

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 09:04 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:

What is with northern hockey fans?

You know what, I wish they would move northern MLB teams with open-air stadiums down to places with MLB fans.

I think this really coincides with Leipold saying he has been posting losses and is trying to recover his losses.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post

You know what, I wish they would move northern MLB teams with open-air stadiums down to places with MLB fans.

I think this really coincides with Leipold saying he has been posting losses and is trying to recover his losses.
What the hell does that have to do with ANYTHING?

The Wolves suck, don't draw well, and there are probably other locations that would allow even a bad team to draw better than they do here. Minnesotans don't care about basketball, it's CLEARLY the lowest of the big-4, and I'd put it behind college hockey and football as well. There are more likely than not other Southern (or anywhere else for that matter) cities that wouldn't say that. Pretty logical argument.

The Twins have never really had issues drawing a crowd, the Wolves have, they practically give away tickets and still can't draw. The Wolves are bottom-10 in almost every attendance stat, the Twins are top-5/top-10 in almost every attendance stat. Plain as day. Please explain why your ridiculously hyperbolic leap of faith has any bearing on the comment, because it's: 1. factually inaccurate and 2. completely illogical.

As for the issue? I don't want the Wolves OR Lynx anywhere near the X. The arena has the perfect atmosphere for hockey. Adding anything new - let alone the suckfest that both our pro basketball teams are - will detract from why I look forward to going to the X. If CL wants to complain about money, then he needs to put a better product on the ice. If CF isn't the guy to get it done, make a change, if he is, wait it out.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:18 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post

When people say "you want teams to move north? ZOMG hypocrite what if it was your team moving?!?1" my response is that the T-Wolves are, like the Yotes or the Thrashers or the Panthers, a poorly-managed team with abysmal attendance and relatively little fan attachment, and that I'd be willing to give up a team in a similar situation in my town. It's not about hating on the south or anything, it's a purely utilitarian question of placing teams in places where they will be most appreciated. People in this city just don't care about the T-Wolves. I seriously doubt there would even be a serious effort to rally and save the team if they announced they were moving. Putting them somewhere that will enjoy them more makes sense.

Or maybe this is just me projecting my general irrational disdain for basketball onto the situation. Maybe there are a bunch of fair-weather T-Wolves fans out there who would show up if they didn't play at the Target Center, and I just don't know any of them. In any case, I would much rather see the team leave than move into the X.

Last edited by llamapalooza: 05-26-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old
05-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Pioneer13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It works for the Gophers but then again it's not like there are different types of sheets in the NHL.

We have NBA fans in Minnesota. They just aren't Timberwolves fans because well, it's ****ing hard to enjoy a team which makes mind-boggling decision after mind-boggling decision.
It's debatable if anything has truly worked for them recently...

Pioneer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

According to ESPN.com, the Wolves have been in the mid 20's in terms of home attendance and right around 15,000 fans for quite a while. In the early 2000's when they were actually moderately successful, they still only averaged in the 17,000's, good enough for high teens in terms of home attendance ranks.

NBA attendance looks to be dropping league-wide, and the T-Wolves have never been that big a draw. Moving to the Xcel would probably generate more revenue in terms of concessions and keep those operating costs lower as they split with the Wild. And that could save money and/or generate additional revenue for Leipold and increase the value of the Wild franchise.

I don't think NBA basketball has ever been a huge draw for Minnesota. We did lose the Lakers once before and while I wouldn't necessarily say that there's been a "basketball experiment failure" in this state, we don't support it through thick and thin like we do with say the Vikings or the Wild (at least for the first 10 years).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Attendance numbers are always fudged in the NBA. I'd hardly believe it if they said an average of 7000 fans went to each home game. Apparently the Lynx average 5000 fans per home game...

Old
05-26-2011, 02:53 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Wolves have come out and said they're not interested in moving. Crisis averted!

http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/122602324.html

Old
05-26-2011, 02:55 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:

praise jeebus!

Old
05-26-2011, 05:31 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

Of course they aren't. Money talks and it's why this was floated by the mayor of St. Paul in the first place.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote