HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Profiles: 2004 Draft Picks

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2004, 01:51 AM
Kevin Wey

vCash: 500
New Profiles: 2004 Draft Picks

Every Shark draft pick from the 2004 Draft has a profile now. The 2004 Sharks Draft Review will be completed tomorrow as I hope to finally get in touch with one last coach, Joe Shawhan of the Soo Indians.

When the HF Sharks Draft Review is released Friday night or Saturday morning, I guarantee it will be the most comprehensive Sharks draft review available.

A Sharks Top 20 article will be released at the same time. It is already completed, but it is not to be released before the Draft Review. The Sharks prospect depth is unreal, and the best part is, San Jose actually develops its prospects.

Both articles will mention one very interesting fact that I don't want to give away yet.

Also, don't be surprised to see the European prospects update up by Sunday.

I'm going to need more time with the CHL Prospect season review though.

Once all that is done, the profiles will all be updated. My goal is to have everything up to date by Sept. 1.

Old
07-16-2004, 04:41 AM
ClicheGuevara

Looking forward to it.

Old
07-16-2004, 01:51 PM
sharkyz15

Send a message via AIM to sharkyz15 Send a message via Yahoo to sharkyz15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey
Every Shark draft pick from the 2004 Draft has a profile now. The 2004 Sharks Draft Review will be completed tomorrow as I hope to finally get in touch with one last coach, Joe Shawhan of the Soo Indians.

When the HF Sharks Draft Review is released Friday night or Saturday morning, I guarantee it will be the most comprehensive Sharks draft review available.

A Sharks Top 20 article will be released at the same time. It is already completed, but it is not to be released before the Draft Review. The Sharks prospect depth is unreal, and the best part is, San Jose actually develops its prospects.

Both articles will mention one very interesting fact that I don't want to give away yet.

Also, don't be surprised to see the European prospects update up by Sunday.

I'm going to need more time with the CHL Prospect season review though.

Once all that is done, the profiles will all be updated. My goal is to have everything up to date by Sept. 1.

Just wondering if we could have a preview of the top 5

Old
07-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Thresher

thanks kevin

I'll be sure to check back in to read the review

kudos

Old
07-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Kevin Wey

It's going to be Saturday evening, maybe late afternoon for you West Coasters. My interview with Soo Indians head coach/gm Joe Shawhan regarding Derek MacIntyre is going to be tomorrow afternoon.

After the interview, it should only take a few minutes to incorporate that material and the Draft Review, Top 20 and the Euro Prospects Review will be done and up. (The Euro review may not be on the home page, but available on the Sharks page and a link here at the boards.)

Kaspar and Greiss will not be in the Euro Prospects review, they're in the Draft Review.

One thing, Connor Robinson, who did the QMJHL Profile for Jason Churchill here at Hockey's Future did a great job in the talent analysis, because my interview with Shawn MacKenzie pretty much agreed 100%. (Not agreeing with the Sharks press release!)

I sometimes wonder if the Sharks throw out comments like that to see what they can start, like if you subscribe to a magazine and misspell your name on purpose to see what all mailing lists you end up on. The Sharks can see who's really doing their homework.

edit: clarified about the profile mentioned.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 07-16-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old
07-16-2004, 06:02 PM
AvengerK

Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
Kevin, you're quite a tease.

Old
07-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Kevin Wey

It wasn't my intent to tease with Friday night, but today just didn't work well for Shawhan.

One reason I'm letting you all know what to expect is that this has taken a little while, but it is for a reason. Considering who the Sharks drafted, it was imperative for a good report to get in contact with some coaches. (I'm hoping to get in touch with Carter Lee and Brian O'Hanley's coaches soon too, important to make good profiles for them, as they are hulls at the moment.)

Top 5 Preview: No, I want to delay the hate mail for one more day.

Old
07-16-2004, 09:04 PM
dumpnchase

Quote:
Top 5 Preview: No, I want to delay the hate mail for one more day.
You won't have to worry about hate mailing, your reviews/previews already are much much much better than most the big networks.

Keep up the good work.

Old
07-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Kevin Wey

The Draft Review, Post Draft Top 20 and the European prospects update should all be up within a few hours.

Up Next: Juniors Prospect Review, I'm calling it this because it's going to include Pavelski who plays Tier I in the USHL. (The USHL ain't major juniors, even if it started calling itself that.)

And of course, updating all the profiles. (Histories and stats need to be updates, some profiles are still shells too. Most of this will be accomplished through me printing up my articles over the past two years or so, which include all the information I need for the profiles.)

Old
07-17-2004, 06:21 PM
AvengerK

Quote:
The Draft Review, Post Draft Top 20 and the European prospects update should all be up within a few hours.

Up Next: Juniors Prospect Review, I'm calling it this because it's going to include Pavelski who plays Tier I in the USHL. (The USHL ain't major juniors, even if it started calling itself that.)

And of course, updating all the profiles. (Histories and stats need to be updates, some profiles are still shells too. Most of this will be accomplished through me printing up my articles over the past two years or so, which include all the information I need for the profiles.)
You're teasing again! Stop that!

Old
07-17-2004, 10:52 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Just wanted to say Thanks and Great Job Kevin.

Two wonderfull articles.

Old
07-17-2004, 11:16 PM
jpsharkfan

I have no idea why, but i was waiting for a link to be posted. If X-Sharkie had not posted his thanks I would have continued waiting.

For anyone else in the same clueless boat I am obviously in tonight here is the link. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/

Both articles are towards the top of the page.

Thank you Kevin!! This is especially informative and great reading since there seems to be a lack of hockey news or signings.

Old
07-18-2004, 12:35 AM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Whoa - Kevin has been busy. Nice work Kevin on the articles. Take
the day off for your hard work

Old
07-18-2004, 12:52 AM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzank
Whoa - Kevin has been busy. Nice work Kevin on the articles. Take
the day off for your hard work
ok, Steve B's rating went from a 7.5 -> 6.5 which looks like the only real change in
the top 5. What's up here? Ok, his production was down this past season
and he was not selected for any summer teams??? Any other info here?

Old
07-18-2004, 02:37 AM
Serena587

I'd just like to say that I have never been consulted or asked my opinion on any of the re-rankings. Just in case anyone is curious, I have nothing to do with rankings or profiles at all. (Just felt the need to point that out to anyone who is not a frequent reader of Hockey's Future, or who might be reading HFBoards but not posting here.) Bravo, Kevin.

Last edited by Serena587: 07-18-2004 at 02:42 AM.
Old
07-18-2004, 09:03 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzank
ok, Steve B's rating went from a 7.5 -> 6.5 which looks like the only real change in
the top 5. What's up here? Ok, his production was down this past season
and he was not selected for any summer teams??? Any other info here?
I think that is a typo, because Steve actually had a solid year, his skating drastically improved as he no longer looks sluggish and his defensive game really improved a lot, and he continues to play more and more physical.

His stats went down because he was a bit of a snakebitten player at times, but he was still making plays and was a big force and his alla round game really took a big turn in the correct direction, witch is what you want prospects to do more then put up big numbers.
I think Thats just a error and it's still supposed to be 7.5

EDIT: KEvin did just tell me over AIM that he can't get onto the website, and that in fact Steve Bernier is still a 7.5

Last edited by X-SHARKIE: 07-18-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old
07-18-2004, 01:16 PM
sharkyz15

Send a message via AIM to sharkyz15 Send a message via Yahoo to sharkyz15
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
I think that is a typo, because Steve actually had a solid year, his skating drastically improved as he no longer looks sluggish and his defensive game really improved a lot, and he continues to play more and more physical.

His stats went down because he was a bit of a snakebitten player at times, but he was still making plays and was a big force and his alla round game really took a big turn in the correct direction, witch is what you want prospects to do more then put up big numbers.
I think Thats just a error and it's still supposed to be 7.5

EDIT: KEvin did just tell me over AIM that he can't get onto the website, and that in fact Steve Bernier is still a 7.5

Yea makes sense.

everyone who has seen him play this year says he has improved his skating and Defensive play this year.
Not to mention that scoring was down in the Qthis year.

It's good to hear that Hennessy will improve his stock to possibly a 7.5 with a good training camp and I am sure Bernier can move yp to an 8 with a good training camp as well.

Old
07-18-2004, 01:19 PM
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

What a very nice job Kevin. Thanks for the detailed breakdown.

Old
07-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Kevin Wey

Now that I can log back into HF...

Anyway, fixed a couple typos in the stories and profiles.

I will complete Shane Joseph's new profile soon.

Also, I have learned that Patrick Ehlechner's website is actually correct and the IIHF is incorrect on games that Ehelechner and Greiss played in. So, there will be some edits in the stories once I get the exact stats for Greiss' one game against Hungary at the WJC's. (Funny how Ehelechner's site is now more reputable than the IIHF. Props to Ehelechner's site though.)

One error I keep making, and I don't know why, is that Zalewski goes to Northfield Mount Hermon. He goes to Northwood. (I had it as Northwood Mount Hermon in the profile accidentally, so my brain made 50% improvement maybe?)

So that's that though, for now. I'll let everyone know when I get the finalized word on the Greiss/Ehelechner thing, so you can re-read that if you want, especially if any of you print these articles.

Oh, also, a few players got edited out of the Just Outside the Top 20. If anyone wants, I will post it in a thread so you can get a little more info and my rationale on a few prospects that got edited out by my editor.

Old
07-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Kevin Wey

Okay, Joseph's profile just needs the stats table now. Also, the Greiss/Ehelechner thing is nearly 100% worked out.

Just keeping everyone up to date.

Old
07-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Kevin Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena587
I'd just like to say that I have never been consulted or asked my opinion on any of the re-rankings. Just in case anyone is curious, I have nothing to do with rankings or profiles at all. (Just felt the need to point that out to anyone who is not a frequent reader of Hockey's Future, or who might be reading HFBoards but not posting here.) Bravo, Kevin.
Yes, if you feel inclined to send hate mail regarding where Barons players are ranked, or not ranked, in the Sharks Top 20, do not send it to Karen. Also do not direct hate mail to Jeff Zank either.

Old
07-19-2004, 05:29 PM
AvengerK

Quote:
Yes, if you feel inclined to send hate mail regarding where Barons players are ranked, or not ranked, in the Sharks Top 20, do not send it to Karen. Also do not direct hate mail to Jeff Zank either.
Where do we send love mail?

Old
07-23-2004, 12:43 AM
Serena587

So, is anyone else here curious about who got edited out of the "Just Outside the Top 20"?

Old
07-26-2004, 05:02 PM
majicpixie

Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
Yeah, I would like to know, too. So...are we going to find out or do we have to start guessing?

Old
07-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Kevin Wey

The ratings can help on deduce who got edited out, but they were:

Tom Cavanagh
Aaron Gill
Steven Zalewski
Craig Valette
Tero Maatta

I was hoping to have all players ranked above 5.0 included, especially the ones not named Tero Maatta, because they really are VERY close qualitatively. Maatta would have been nice because he's coming off of his best SM-Liiga season. I hope he backs it up with an even better 2004-05. It'd be nice to see Maatta on Espoo's first or second defense pairs all season. Late in the season he was used to balance out younger defensemen like Pelkonen and Jalasvaara.

I also had a paragraph for Rissmiller, Plihal and Kotyk, all created before the draft. (Each had their own paragraph) None of these were even submitted with the article in the final form. I made a paragraph for Kotyk for my own records for future tracking. Rissmiller and Plihal now also exist in the version with unsubmitted paragraphs for my own records.

So I have a bit of a Top 30, although it's hard to say whether or not I'd place a guy like Michael Vernace ahead of Rissmiller and Plihal in the top 30.

Closed Thread