Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

The French Open

Old
05-27-2011, 02:27 PM
kihei

vCash: 2046
Looks like I'd be losing those quid soon. Djokovic makes Del P look ordinary in the first set, 6-3. As the tournament switched stadiums to get this match in, it seems like there are a lot of pissed off people trying to get into a stadium that they don't have the proper ticket for.

Del P's howitzer forehand is now finding the range and this match is suddenly getting very interesting, with Juan Martin up a break, 4-1...and Del Potro takes the set, 6-3...don't know how much longer they can play; it probably would be a good idea to stop at a set of piece and make it a best of three setter tomorrow....and indeed they stop there. Good decision...my quid are at least safe over night.

Last edited by kihei: 05-27-2011 at 03:17 PM.
kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 500
DPotro coming back now, 3-1 2nd set...I'm really pulling for him

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Djokovic looks like he is getting a little upset down a break in the 2nd.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

1 set each now

wait wtf? gonna continue tomorrow? wow wtf

Last edited by Panteras: 05-27-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Why doesnt Rolland Garros have lights?

Old
05-27-2011, 04:06 PM
kihei

Wimbledon doesn't have lights either. Don't know why in either case. Tradition?

Old
05-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Wimbledon doesn't have lights either. Don't know why in either case. Tradition?
but they have a retractable roof or something at Wimbledon at the main court? I mean even Wrigley Field got lights.

Old
05-27-2011, 04:17 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
but they have a retractable roof or something at Wimbledon at the main court? I mean even Wrigley Field got lights.
You're right--I somehow forgot. Wimbledon did have lights last year, I remember watching Djokovic play Rocchus in the evening.

Old
05-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
You're right--I somehow forgot. Wimbledon did have lights last year, I remember watching Djokovic play Rocchus in the evening.
one of the areas where Djokovic has an advantage is his conditioning and makingit a best of three takes that away.

Old
05-27-2011, 07:29 PM
kihei

Quote:
one of the areas where Djokovic has an advantage is his conditioning and makingit a best of three takes that away.
I got the feeling that both players were happy to call it a day. As you pointed out, Nole was looking a little out of sorts. And Del P was definitely coming on some. Nole played pretty well in losing that second set--not necessarily a fact I would have wanted him to dwell on too long with the third set starting. So best of three tomorrow is fine with me from just about every angle that I can think of.

Old
05-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Tuggy

They are going again now. 2-2 on serve in the 3rd.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Tuggy

Djokovic up 2 sets to 1 and up 2 breaks in the 4th. Like the announcer said...Del Potro isn't doing anything wrong, he just can't keep up. Djokovic is on another planet.

Edit: It's over.

Last edited by Tuggy: 05-28-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old
05-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Justified
Amaro out

I really want a Nadal, Djokovic final. Novak is playing at a much higher level right now but Nadal seems to step it up in the big spot.

Old
05-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Tuggy

Soderling looking very strong so far. Him and Nadal are lined up for a quarterfinal match. I think Soderling could knock him out again.

Old
05-28-2011, 05:09 PM
kihei

Quote:
I really want a Nadal, Djokovic final. Novak is playing at a much higher level right now but Nadal seems to step it up in the big spot.
Me, too. The French seems like it belongs to Nadal and I am sure he would put up a tremendous fight to retain the championship.

Didn't see the end of the match today, but it sounds like it was a clean kill. Next up for Djokovic, Gasquet, who has a brilliant backhand that will keep him competitive in the cross court rallies, but I doubt if he has the rest of the game to threaten Nole over five sets.

With only four exceptions, eastern Europe sure owns the women's Round of Sixteen with six Russians alone still alive in the tournament along with players from the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Serbia, Belarus, and Poland, plus Petkovic, who, though now living in Germany, is from Bosnia originally.

Old
05-28-2011, 05:11 PM
joe89

3rd round is over.. Obviously Falla-Chela and Fognini-Montanes competing for QF spots are huge surprises. Roger and Ferrer are both looking great, but sadly for them Novak is on another level right now. It will take something extraordinary in order for them to make it out of that half. Not much to say about the other half, usual suspects there. Since Murray got injured and is doubtful to play let alone be 100%, I fully predict the winner of the inevitable Sod-Rafa QF to make the final. The top5-6 are at a completely different level for the time being and it shows.

Woz crashing out early didn't surprise me, on clay any player with a remotely working offensive game will still beat her. In the 4th round, every single matchup looks like a crapshoot except for Azarenka's. Azarenka remains my favorite for the title, she's looking good out there and she outplayed Maria in Rome while she was still healthy. My dark horse is Schiavone, as she's starting to look like Championship form of last year.. But really though, about 10 players of the remaining 16 could realistically win on the women's side.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Still have hope in Roger.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Nadal feels like he's been 'playing for 100 years'

Quote:
"It's my ninth year on the tour, and its completely the same feeling every year," Nadal told reporters. "You don't have the chance to stop, never. I think for that situation we have a shorter career. So having a different model of ranking, of competition, I think we can have longer career, no? I [am] almost 25, but seems like I am playing for 100 years here on the tour. I didn't spend a weekend at home since the week of Davis Cup before Indian Wells. That's too much. Tennis is a very demanding sport mentally and physically. I won Roland Garros five times, but next Monday I am practicing on Queen's. So that's makes the career shorter for everybody.

http://feeds.tennis.com/~r/tenniscom...3/SS4M92KKWAQ/

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 09:53 AM
kihei

Federer knocks off Warwinka in three clinically precise sets. Roger had a brief wobble in the third when he lost serve for the only time in the match, but he recovered with aplomb. At the moment anyway, he is definitely in form and if he continues to play this way is a genuine threat to any player he faces from here on out. Tough potential road from here on out, though: Ferrer, Djokovic, Nadal.

Only saw the last three games on replay, but Fognini won a controversial five setter, 11-9 in the fifth, saving three match points along the way. At the point the replay started, he was limping visibly. He had taken an injury time out during the 14th game (I didn't know you could do that while a game was in play, actually), and soldiered on. At the end, he could barely move or serve, but Montanes was useless and Fognini kept hitting winners whenever Montanes wasn't making an unforced error. It appeared that Fognini was booed for his efforts, despite winning.

Last edited by kihei: 05-29-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old
05-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Garo

We just got the match of the tournament in Fognini - Montanes I think.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
We just got the match of the tournament in Fognini - Montanes I think.
Fognini should not have been allowed to continue and after he did Montanes should have played a drop shot every second shot. It was unreal how stupid he played.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:28 AM
kihei

Djokovic, with a 30-8 winners/unforced errors ratio, takes the first two sets against Gasquet. 6-4, 6-4. Today, perfection is boring....Gasquet goes quietly in the third set and who could blame him? There was a greater chance of a tsunami hitting Calgary than of him coming back from two sets down to defeat Nole in that match.

Last edited by kihei: 05-29-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old
05-29-2011, 11:45 AM
joe89

Saw the full match Foggy-Montanes, epic ****. Can't describe it better than this:

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:11 PM
kihei

Schiavone in tough at the moment against Jankovic, 3-4 on serve in the third set...but just like last year, she grabs a win in a match that could have gone either way. Quality of tennis not high in this one, but now only Azarenka is ranked ahead of her, as Zvonerava lost in three earlier today.

Last edited by kihei: 05-29-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old
05-29-2011, 12:57 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Well, I just tuned in to the coverage this morning (first time I've been able to catch any on TV). The first game I watch, Bartoli is down two break points to Dulko, saves both of them and then hits a couple real nice winners to go up 5-2 in the set... and the whole while, the NBC crew is yammering on about where Serena and Venus will be seeded if they play at Wimbledon. Oh NBC

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote