HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eric Lindros on life after suffering through 8 concussions

Old
05-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

vCash: 500
Eric Lindros on life after suffering through 8 concussions

An excellent but very alarming story on Lindros and other players on living with concussion symptoms after retirement from hockey.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/05/19/c...-untold-story/

I think it is worth reading.

Quote:
Before there was Sidney Crosby, there was Eric Lindros. Both were hockey prodigies as young teenagers. Both were drafted first overall into the NHL. Both won the league MVP in their early 20s, both were captain of Team Canada at the Olympics, and both were hailed as the next Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux. And then, in a fraction of a second, both fell victim to devastating concussions. The toll on Crosby, who has been sidelined since January, remains to be seen. But most fans know that Lindros was never the same after a series of blows to the head—at least eight by the time he retired in 2007. What few know, however—what he’s never talked about publicly before—is the psychological and emotional toll of those concussions.

That a Herculean hockey legend such as Lindros (he is six foot four and 255 lb.) is speaking out with disarming candour about the panic and desolation that he has endured is unprecedented. “You’re in a pretty rough-and-tumble environment with this sport. Talking about these things—you don’t talk about these things,” says Lindros. So while he was playing in the NHL, Lindros mostly kept his game face on. “You got to understand, you want to wake up in the morning and you want to look at yourself and say, ‘I’ve got the perfect engine to accomplish what I need to in this game tonight.’ You are not going to look in the mirror and say, ‘Boy, I’m depressed.’ ”

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Very intense.

Showing the testimonies of players who've had concussions is what makes this article so real.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Habs

Nonsense, they were all good hockey plays and hits.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:54 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Thanks for posting the link. It's definitely a good read. And you wonder how many players continue on after a hit when they really should have taken a break. I wish medical science knew more. That goes without saying I guess. Just sad to read those stories and to think then about the Savards, the Crosbys, etc.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:56 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

When did Crosby Captain team Canada at the olympics?

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Wasn't it Niedermayer?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 02:19 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Juniors?

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Qurpiz
Ihanaa Saatana!

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Juniors?
At the Olympics?

Qurpiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Nonsense, they were all good hockey plays and hits.
I would like to believe that real hockey fans who are not from the "no helmet" era would prefer the league softens up a little and see less "big hits" than to see stars like Crosby out or retire early due to concussions..

But the people who are paid to make decisions either don't care about the sport or are too stupid to acknowledge that hockey's faster and players are bigger then in the 70's...

Bettmen doesn't care about hockey.. He's a business man. If the owners are happy and he gets paid a **** load of money to do his work he doesn't care about what hockey fans think.

He's trying to sell Hockey in the desert. He seems to believe that what will get people to go see games there are fights and big hits.. So in the end, they are not trying to keep their fans. They are looking to expand the fan base. So unless we hockey fans stop watching, this bush league will continue to market the violence of hockey over the skill and plays on the ice..

I've been watching hockey for over 20 years and it will take a lot to turn me off watching hockey. The NHL know this. but there is a fine line.. My brother in law is an assistant coach with kids just to get his son to play hockey. But after seeing the Chara-Pacioretty hit this year, he was debating taking him out of hockey. No parent, brother, friend, etc wants to see someone they care gets hit this way.

So if the league doesn't clean it's act, maybe I am willing to stop supporting them until they make a change.. Teams like Montreal and Toronto with a huge fan base affect the over wealth of the NHL due to revenue sharing.. So if enough of us boycott, they will have to address the hitting to the head of players.

But with so many fans who will just have an easier time to get better and cheaper tickets, I just don't see it happening...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Sumoki Dachiba

Eric made some bad choices but as a hockey fan I regret missing out on seeing what he, and so many other players, could have been and could have done had their careers not been tragically cut short by brain injuries.

Sumoki Dachiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Craig71

Very sad to see what happened to Lindros, he was so dominant when healthy but faded quickly with concussions. I felt bad for how he had to leave hockey, he was always under so much pressure to deliver and we are to assume he performed while his health was in very poor shape. The concussion issue is one of the biggest problems that the NHL has had to face in many years, especially with the games biggest star directly involved. The general lack of respect shown by players and management towards players is the biggest problem with todays concussion issue. It has to be fixed or else the US and Canadian government gets involved and bye bye to contact in the NHL.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumoki Dachiba View Post
Eric made some bad choices but as a hockey fan I regret missing out on seeing what he, and so many other players, could have been and could have done had their careers not been tragically cut short by brain injuries.
Until I really got into hockey (when I was 20 I think, before I didn't really like it), especially when I was a kid, the only reason I would watch a game was when the Flyers and Lindros were playing, damn I liked that player, so overpowering and skilled. But, as much as he got hurt, let's not forget that he hurt some players himself (Dackell anyone? damn I thought he killed him when it happened...)

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
The Flyers ruined a lot of guys with bad concussion diagnosis.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I think you missed the point of the article.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:32 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think you missed the point of the article.
I think you did! How do I know everything isn't a lie if they open with one?!

Old
05-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I think you did! How do I know everything isn't a lie if they open with one?!
Because there's a difference between a lie and a simple mistake.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:52 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Because there's a difference between a lie and a simple mistake.
AND THAT DIFFERENCE IS? Hmm?!

Old
05-23-2011, 01:22 AM
MasterD

Quote:
AND THAT DIFFERENCE IS? Hmm?!
Are you drunk?

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:39 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I would like to believe that real hockey fans who are not from the "no helmet" era would prefer the league softens up a little and see less "big hits" than to see stars like Crosby out or retire early due to concussions..

But the people who are paid to make decisions either don't care about the sport or are too stupid to acknowledge that hockey's faster and players are bigger then in the 70's...

Bettmen doesn't care about hockey.. He's a business man. If the owners are happy and he gets paid a **** load of money to do his work he doesn't care about what hockey fans think.

He's trying to sell Hockey in the desert. He seems to believe that what will get people to go see games there are fights and big hits.. So in the end, they are not trying to keep their fans. They are looking to expand the fan base. So unless we hockey fans stop watching, this bush league will continue to market the violence of hockey over the skill and plays on the ice..

I've been watching hockey for over 20 years and it will take a lot to turn me off watching hockey. The NHL know this. but there is a fine line.. My brother in law is an assistant coach with kids just to get his son to play hockey. But after seeing the Chara-Pacioretty hit this year, he was debating taking him out of hockey. No parent, brother, friend, etc wants to see someone they care gets hit this way.

So if the league doesn't clean it's act, maybe I am willing to stop supporting them until they make a change.. Teams like Montreal and Toronto with a huge fan base affect the over wealth of the NHL due to revenue sharing.. So if enough of us boycott, they will have to address the hitting to the head of players.

But with so many fans who will just have an easier time to get better and cheaper tickets, I just don't see it happening...
I totally agree with your entire post (exactly how I feel).

One solution (out of many) is to replace Pacioretty with either Gregory Campbell and/or Bettman's son (if he has one).

Imagine Chara was a Hab and Pacioretty was a Bruin...I wonder how many games Chara would have received.

It still makes me sick to think about what Chara got away with (no justice).

I wonder how Bettman would react if it were his son that got shoved/pushed into the turnbuckle.

#1 solution...every fan avoids NHL games on TV and avoid paying for those ludicrous/expensive hockey tickets...doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

One thing's for sure...an individual can choose to watch or not and at least that's one solution for one person. I myself want to avoid watching the NHL when I see so many headshots/crosschecks to the head, violent sucker punches to the head, hits from behind, violent obvious-out-to-injure-you bodychecks, etc...and these violent players get away with it (no serious suspension). Matt Cooke was the only one this year that finally didn't get away with it...the second time around.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Newhabfan

It's our fault. We're treating them as circus freaks, as entertainers, as gladiators and not as athletes.

I heard Colin Campbell in an interview (on team 990, somewhere during the first playoff round) saying "We are in the business of selling violence" as reason why they are not cracking down on hits. If he is selling violence then it means someone is buying it.

Hurting the opponent team, putting the other player in hospital can win you games, series and Stanley Cups (remember the Canes not too long ago). Why stop it then ?

There are tons of freak injuries that can happen in hockey by accident, just like they happen in horse riding, diving, gymnastics or any other sport. You can get concussed by your own teammate (happened recently). You can get your ankle tendons or your throat cut by a teammate's skate. Nothing to do with those injuries. You can stop "the other" sort though - the intentional ones.

Till then - I feel bad for the hockey players/gladiators. They are putting their life quality at risk (for money) to offer us entertainment. Just like Macho Man did.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Pascal

It's a huge problem in the league. We might even lose the best player because of it. It might not affect Crosby too much right away, but it's strike 1 for sure..

I use to collect Lindros hockey cards.. and I think his brother Brett had similar issues with concussions and had to retire?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:23 AM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Read the title as "Lindros on life support after suffering through 8 concussions" and my heart sunk a little bit.

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:16 AM
la25ecoupe

How is Lucid compared to Lindros?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:26 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Reminds me of NASCAR when the cars started to go faster than the technology of keeping drivers safe. Finally with the losses in rapid succession of Adam Petty, Dale Earnhardt, Sr., Tony Roper, Kenny Irwin, Jr. and others drastic and needed measures (Hans device, soft wall technology, rule changes, etc.) were taken to improve driver safety.

Hopefully something can be done in the NHL to improve player safety before a more dreaded consequence rears its ugly head.

The cases of Savard, Lindros and others are bad enough.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

There was an outcry when football banned the flying wedge when it was deemed too dangerous for the players. Football survived... The crackdown to hits to the head needs to be much more serious. Even hits like Ference on Halpern should have no business in hockey. Hockey will also survive.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote