HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Are we an attractive team for FA's now?

Old
05-17-2011, 10:30 PM
habspinner

vCash: 500
Are we an attractive team for FA's now?

Reading Jagr's comments, Pacioretty's comments about signing a 5 year deal if he could because that Montreal is such a great place to pay hockey made me ask this question; Are we an attractive locale for UFA's?

Cammy has gone on record saying how much he likes playing in Montreal, Price commented about how much he likes playing here (although that relationship has been rocky - he didn't say that but that is fact), Markov as well has taken lower salary to stay here, and just generally the players seem to be positive about the team, and the chemistry seems strong.

I'm sure that many can make better arguments for and against, but I think with the strong core that we have, we could possibly just get more attractive to free agents - that's if we don't do something stupid like trade Price or Subban - but Rejean Houle is just a Habs diplomat/public figure, so I'm sure he's only handing out tuques not trade faxes

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:45 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

I'd say yes, but the income tax is still and always will be a huge turnoff.

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:08 PM
habsrule22

If PG does a good job in completing the defense core and with Price. forwards will find Habs very attractive as they will see themselves as the missing piece to a cup run.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
If PG does a good job in completing the defense core and with Price. forwards will find Habs very attractive as they will see themselves as the missing piece to a cup run.
Or with players who tend to be lazy on the back check, might see us as the perfect place to play.

Rangers are popular for FAs, but they never win anything. It's not about signing the biggest fish, it's about signing the right player.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Obviously FAs have 30 choices.

Aside from $$$, IMHO, high skilled players like to play with other high skilled players and/or want to have a legitimate shot at getting their name on the Cup.

Considering that the HABS had a miracle run in 2010 (those runs rarely repeat themselves) and the HABS are a legitimate middle of the league team...they may be attractive to some FAs - not likely the high-end talent FAs!

Just my opinion.

What if this is...as good as it gets?

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Belso

It's getting better.. I'll say that..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:58 PM
haburger

we dont need FA's .we got the talent.we need a healthy season.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:07 AM
habsrule22

If a UFA looks at the roster he would see -

Goaltending is set for years - Price being 1 of the top goaltenders in league
Defense - PG does a good job this year with what we have signed and with what he has to pick from our own FA. Gauthier can assemble a excellent defense core.

It's at forward were a UFA can see himself as a missing piece to making this team a cup contender. It 's in the top 6 or 9 were goal scoring needs to improve. This is were the attractiveness will become. The thinking being that a Jagr, Brooks Laich, Ville Leino, Scotty Upshall or Gagne can come in a make a difference.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:39 AM
NewEraGM

The city itself is definately attractive but I think our taxes turn alot of people away. We have one of the highest income taxes in NA if not the highest...

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Miller Time

i think we always have been an attractive destination despite popular opinion.

yes, a few of our high-profile targets chose other teams (and really, aside from Smythe/Briere, how many big fish did we really miss out on?), but ALL teams deal with that.

as much as some players leave and complain about the pressure/scrutiny, even more leave and talk about how great it was to play in the mecca of hockey.

no team has our history, our tradition of excellence (as dead as it may now be), and as biased as I may be, there are very few cities in NA that rival montreal, ESPECIALLY to those of european descent.

the '09 summer pretty much proved that.

cammy/gionta/spacek/moen/gill... ~19M$ in UFA signings, not a realistic feat for a team that has "trouble" attracting UFA's I'd say.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:07 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

I think Jagr wants to join the habs because Pleky gave him an offer he can't refuse...

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:10 AM
ClasslessGuy

what exactly is the difference of tax if player X gets 5m here and 5m in New York for example?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
what exactly is the difference of tax if player X gets 5m here and 5m in New York for example?
Montreal has one sports team so the Canadiens are the focal point for the media. On top of that there is also the language issue which is a turn off for some Im sure.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:27 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
I would say a few hundread of thousands of dollars.

I think the maximum you get taxed in Quebec is 48%. In New York, it should be around 30% or less I guess.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:29 AM
OpenIceHit

On the other hand, housing and taxes that come with it are way cheaper here than New York.

Old
05-18-2011, 10:40 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
On the other hand, housing and taxes that come with it are way cheaper here than New York.
Good point, I would say standard of living is a plus in Montreal as well.

I would say this team is on the right track. If they continue the way they have been going I would say they will become a premier destination for high end UFA's. If you are serious about winning, other than maybe Toronto, what better place is there to win a championship? You would become a living legend with unlimited sponsorship and revenue opportunities to boot.

I would not be surprised if Richards wasn't somewhat interested in coming to Montreal, that is if they can get creative with the cap, I'm looking at you Scott.

11Goat11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:51 AM
OpenIceHit

At the US federal Level, the tax rate is 35% if your income is more than $373,650 according to :

http://www.moneybluebook.com/2010-fe...irs-tax-rates/

And in the state of New York, it would another 8% if your income in greater than $200,000 according to :

http://www.tax-rates.org/New_York/income-tax/

For a maximum total of 43%. So about 5% more than here in Quebec.

At $5,000,000, you pay about $250,000 more in Quebec.

With our dollar being stronger than theirs and the price of housing way cheaper than in New York, I think taxation rate in Quebec is no longer an excuse.

Old
05-18-2011, 10:51 AM
MathMan

Weather, taxes, and media are still bad. And I always wonder if the crowd is a positive or a negative. It can often be the worst in hockey (it really likes to boo its players, it fancies itself knowledgeable but really isn't, and so on.) But when things are going well, it must be fantastic.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:00 AM
McSorleyStick
El Pistolero!

Income tax

Long winters

Media pressure

I would say no

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:16 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
I would say a few hundread of thousands of dollars.

I think the maximum you get taxed in Quebec is 48%. In New York, it should be around 30% or less I guess.
Tax rate in New York at highest bracket is 35% US Federal tax + 7% NY State Tax + 3% NY Municipal income tax = 45%.

In Quebec, combined taxes can reach 52% I believe (it's 48% up to around 125k where canadian federal taxes get bumped up 4%).

On a $5M salary, it would be about $350k if you're a US Resident. If you're a canadian and have permanent residency in the province of Quebec (say a house), then you still pay 52% even though you play in NY.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:17 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Good point, I would say standard of living is a plus in Montreal as well.

I would say this team is on the right track. If they continue the way they have been going I would say they will become a premier destination for high end UFA's. If you are serious about winning, other than maybe Toronto, what better place is there to win a championship? You would become a living legend with unlimited sponsorship and revenue opportunities to boot.

I would not be surprised if Richards wasn't somewhat interested in coming to Montreal, that is if they can get creative with the cap, I'm looking at you Scott.

11Goat11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:23 AM
SuperUnknown

Also with the huge US debt, tax income is set to be bumped back up. US Federal Tax will go back up to 39.6%, so someone in New York would be taxed at 50% of their income for a salary of $5M (that's in 2013 I believe).

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:26 AM
RC51

yes high taxes, yes cold winters, yes the politics, and yes sometimes the fans. BUT only here would you have a chance to have your name on the Montreal Canadians 25 TH Stanley Cup, something that will NEVER be beat EVER. If you want to play hard every night and give of yourself for the Team, for the Fans, for the city of Montreal, for the birth place of hockey itself, no other place on the planet is more a hockey place, this is it, this is MONTREAL.
To play here is to play for your eternal soul.
This is why Montreal has State funerals for it's hockey players, no other place on EARTH has done this.

Hockey! it's in our blood, it's part of our DNA, Hockey IS Montreal.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 12:18 PM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
yes high taxes, yes cold winters, yes the politics, and yes sometimes the fans. BUT only here would you have a chance to have your name on the Montreal Canadians 25 TH Stanley Cup, something that will NEVER be beat EVER. If you want to play hard every night and give of yourself for the Team, for the Fans, for the city of Montreal, for the birth place of hockey itself, no other place on the planet is more a hockey place, this is it, this is MONTREAL.
To play here is to play for your eternal soul.
This is why Montreal has State funerals for it's hockey players, no other place on EARTH has done this.

Hockey! it's in our blood, it's part of our DNA, Hockey IS Montreal.
Exactly! And guys like Lecavalier and St-Louis will be unknown and forgotten by the future generations whereas we still remember guys who played for the Habs a long time before most of us where born.

Look at superstars like Perreault and Dionne. We know them because we are hockey fans but if you talk about them to the average hockey fan, they might not know them even if they were among the best players of their time.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Talks to Goalposts

I think we can say that Montreal is a lot more attractive than it used to be but not among the most attractive in the league. Of course this would be in a nebulous player average sense as what motivates individuals will vary.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote