HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Semin to NYI

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2011, 10:20 AM
  #51
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,114
vCash: 566
From purely a contractual standpoint Semin doesn't fit with the Isles. They're not winning it next year and he makes too much money, the Isles don't spend like that. This doesn't make sense for them.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 11:28 AM
  #52
IwayMike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
The fact that Semin will be a UFA at the end of next season is a plus. He will be motivated to show up for more games. With that said, Semin does make the Isle a playoff team, but does not make them a cup contender. Bailey and a 2nd round pick is all I would give up for a one year rental. Even if Semin would sign, I am not sure he would be worth the money needed to sign him.

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:12 PM
  #53
Fallschirmyager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
i said it before and ill say it again.....i live in baltimore, i get the craps games EVERY time they play.
he and his one year--almost 7 million dollars contract--is not worth anything to long island.
if you want garth to take semin.......you pay garth. alzner is where it starts. and it doesnt end until the name carlson is involved.
You have most certainly clarified quite well your level of hockey knowledge, viewing skills and maturity.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:14 PM
  #54
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,254
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Clearly biased. Semin is a very good player. Elite no. All-Star, yes. It's laughable to say you have to pay garth to take Semin.
he's clearly biased you say?

there is no team in the NHL that can use scoring more than your own rangers, why then arent you offering Stepan and McDonough for Semin?

Ill tell you why not you know Semin isnt worth it as do almost all Isles fans....except for those who want to quick fix us.

can he be a great player Yes, is he a self motivated consistent team oriented player HELL NO.

Id love to see him on the rangers, but even Sather on july 1st isnt that stupid

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:22 PM
  #55
HTFN
Registered User
 
HTFN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,087
vCash: 500
What a ridiculous amount of hate. You're the only person I've ever seen that thinks Semin is such a cancer that he's not worth the 40 goals and point per game play he brings to the table.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:24 PM
  #56
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,254
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
You have most certainly clarified quite well your level of hockey knowledge, viewing skills and maturity.
yes he has, and he's a certified genius compared to you, since youre not telling the truth about Semin. Capital fans would love to get value for him rather than see him walk after next season would they not? So if that means being a lying bag of puss in the process, i guess some fans will stoop that low,

Ichabod lives in Baltimore and sees the Caps play regularly and as an Isles fan wants no part of the infected sore that is Semin. That is a very clear and valuable warning to all isles fans one we all should heed

And to the Capital fans in this thread, if you love him so much keep him, you wouldnt even think of moving Ovechkin, the very fact that you seem eager to rehabilitate Semin speaks volumes.

please keep him, please, theres a reason you dont advance in the playoffs.....


Last edited by Isles_Guy*: 05-24-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:42 PM
  #57
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwayMike View Post
The fact that Semin will be a UFA at the end of next season is a plus. He will be motivated to show up for more games. With that said, Semin does make the Isle a playoff team, but does not make them a cup contender. Bailey and a 2nd round pick is all I would give up for a one year rental. Even if Semin would sign, I am not sure he would be worth the money needed to sign him.
* The contract year thing is something of a falisy. He has had two contract seasons in a row. One was his 40 goal, last RFA season one year contract that proved to many that he was going ufa. The second was this past season where he came out of the both like he was going to score 60 goals and then took and injury that he couldnt play thru that killed his numbers. This one also resulted in a one year contract.

* Players that score like Semin rarely get traded. If he was all that he could be, then this one wouldnt be available either. If he is signed on the UFA market, you know he's going to be overpaid. Even with top 5 picks its hard to draft a player that scores like Semin.

Its very rare to get a top 10/top 15 in the league goal scorer. What are you willing to do to get one?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:52 PM
  #58
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,254
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* The contract year thing is something of a falisy. He has had two contract seasons in a row. One was his 40 goal, last RFA season one year contract that proved to many that he was going ufa. The second was this past season where he came out of the both like he was going to score 60 goals and then took and injury that he couldnt play thru that killed his numbers. This one also resulted in a one year contract.

* Players that score like Semin rarely get traded. If he was all that he could be, then this one wouldnt be available either. If he is signed on the UFA market, you know he's going to be overpaid. Even with top 5 picks its hard to draft a player that scores like Semin.

Its very rare to get a top 10/top 15 in the league goal scorer. What are you willing to do to get one?
Txpd you are a seasoned insightful poster and I know you to be honest but one sentence in your post says all we need to know. allow me to repeat it for emphasis

"If he was all that he could be, then this one wouldnt be available either. "

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:05 PM
  #59
DCRedhawk21
Registered User
 
DCRedhawk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues22 View Post
yes he has, and he's a certified genius compared to you, since youre not telling the truth about Semin. Capital fans would love to get value for him rather than see him walk after next season would they not? So if that means being a lying bag of puss in the process, i guess some fans will stoop that low,

Ichabod lives in Baltimore and sees the Caps play regularly and as an Isles fan wants no part of the infected sore that is Semin. That is a very clear and valuable warning to all isles fans one we all should heed

And to the Capital fans in this thread, if you love him so much keep him, you wouldnt even think of moving Ovechkin, the very fact that you seem eager to rehabilitate Semin speaks volumes.

please keep him, please, theres a reason you dont advance in the playoffs.....

- I'm not going to take advice from anyone who uses the "Crapitals" nickname. I have a cousin who roots for the Penguins who thinks that nickname is great.... He's 11.

- As for Caps fans wanting to see what value they can get.. this thread was started by an Isles fan. Most Caps fans who actually watch the games and saw Semin in the playoffs aren't crazy about moving him. There's also absolutely zero evidence that he's any sort of locker room cancer or "infected sore."

- There are a number of reasons the Caps didn't advance in the playoffs (Backstrom's terrible play for a 1C, Boudreau was outcoached, the bottom 6 got destroyed by Tampa's bottom 6 and the D was overmatched and slow with Carlson hurting and Wideman missing). Semin isn't one of them. For some reason people just see him as an easy target.

- You're absolutely right, anytime a guy in Baltimore issues a warning on a message board about a player he watches, that qualifies as a "very clear and valuable warning to all Isles fans." So keep watch, Isles faithful.

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:07 PM
  #60
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues22 View Post
Txpd you are a seasoned insightful poster and I know you to be honest but one sentence in your post says all we need to know. allow me to repeat it for emphasis

"If he was all that he could be, then this one wouldnt be available either. "
Unfortunately its not all you need to know. He is still a young player. Do you think he will forever be a 60-65 game player? Do you think he will always be injury prone?
If you look at his record, I dont think he has ever missed a playoff game. The Caps have won two playoff series during his tenure. In both series Semin has scored the most goals for the Caps.

The most important line in my post was the difficulty in getting a player that scores like this one. You get one when you get your shot or you go without. This is a player that is easily among the top 20 goal scorers in the league.

I personally think Semin remains with the Capitals. He appears only to want to play for the Capitals and unless the Caps dump him, he stays.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:15 PM
  #61
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,254
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Unfortunately its not all you need to know. He is still a young player. Do you think he will forever be a 60-65 game player? Do you think he will always be injury prone?
If you look at his record, I dont think he has ever missed a playoff game. The Caps have won two playoff series during his tenure. In both series Semin has scored the most goals for the Caps.

The most important line in my post was the difficulty in getting a player that scores like this one. You get one when you get your shot or you go without. This is a player that is easily among the top 20 goal scorers in the league.

I personally think Semin remains with the Capitals. He appears only to want to play for the Capitals and unless the Caps dump him, he stays.
the point is though that he will only be a capital for one year,
he wants the money, and he will fly when you dont pay him

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:15 PM
  #62
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 7,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwayMike View Post
The fact that Semin will be a UFA at the end of next season is a plus. He will be motivated to show up for more games. With that said, Semin does make the Isle a playoff team, but does not make them a cup contender. Bailey and a 2nd round pick is all I would give up for a one year rental. Even if Semin would sign, I am not sure he would be worth the money needed to sign him.
If he could not get motivated for the Stanley Cup, why would becoming a UFA motivate him?!?

Isles have a good young core, if they improve their defense and maybe get a veteran in goal they could make a little noise in the playoffs.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 02:07 PM
  #63
Fallschirmyager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues22 View Post
yes he has, and he's a certified genius compared to you, since youre not telling the truth about Semin. Capital fans would love to get value for him rather than see him walk after next season would they not? So if that means being a lying bag of puss in the process, i guess some fans will stoop that low,

Ichabod lives in Baltimore and sees the Caps play regularly and as an Isles fan wants no part of the infected sore that is Semin. That is a very clear and valuable warning to all isles fans one we all should heed

And to the Capital fans in this thread, if you love him so much keep him, you wouldnt even think of moving Ovechkin, the very fact that you seem eager to rehabilitate Semin speaks volumes.

please keep him, please, theres a reason you dont advance in the playoffs.....
Wow. You divined all that from my statement? Just wow. You're remarks are also clearly not those of a poster with a rational opinion devoid of insult.

Do I think Bailey and the 5th overall are too much for 1 year of Semin? Yes I do but it was an Isles fan who proposed it. As others have pointed out, that one player is not going to be the answer to a cup and keeping the younger and cheaper player along with the pick is the best course of action for the Isles. Semin, if traded at all, will be a deadline deal to a team on the fringe who thinks Semin will get them over the hump. I'd say the most likely scenario is that the CAPS will let him walk next year as an FA.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 03:25 PM
  #64
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 4,669
vCash: 500
I think the point everyone here is missing... why would the Caps trade Semin? Him being an upcoming UFA isn't a good enough reason.... the Caps are contending for a cup, they're not going to fall over themselves to purge their roster of one of their top scoring threats. Not unless you're willing to overpay, and that overpayment is going to be another legitimate NHL player that will help them go deep into the playoffs.

The Islanders would not be willing to part with such a player, because they need players like that just to get themselves onto the playoff bubble.

The only way I see a Semin trade, is if there's another team out there that has something the Caps need. Maybe a team heavy on defenseman that needs scoring help can spare a top pairing defenseman (also in his UFA year)?

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 04:37 PM
  #65
HTFN
Registered User
 
HTFN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues22 View Post
the point is though that he will only be a capital for one year,
he wants the money, and he will fly when you dont pay him
Where is your proof? That's nothing but baseless speculation you're stating as fact there.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 04:49 PM
  #66
Langway
Moderator
Floatvechkin
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
The only way I see a Semin trade, is if there's another team out there that has something the Caps need. Maybe a team heavy on defenseman that needs scoring help can spare a top pairing defenseman (also in his UFA year)?
Another scenario: the Caps have had enough of the player, would rather move him for futures and use the freed up cap space elsewhere. I'm not sure they're there yet or that the UFA crop is appealing enough to trigger such thinking or that McPhee has the balls to make such a move...but it's possible.

They are a team in need of a shake-up and aside from canning Boudreau trading Semin is the next big move that I'd tend to gravitate toward. It's somewhat dicey given the state of their secondary scoring as it is but it's at least worth exploring.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 04:51 PM
  #67
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,254
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
Wow. You divined all that from my statement? Just wow. You're remarks are also clearly not those of a poster with a rational opinion devoid of insult.

Do I think Bailey and the 5th overall are too much for 1 year of Semin? Yes I do but it was an Isles fan who proposed it. As others have pointed out, that one player is not going to be the answer to a cup and keeping the younger and cheaper player along with the pick is the best course of action for the Isles. Semin, if traded at all, will be a deadline deal to a team on the fringe who thinks Semin will get them over the hump. I'd say the most likely scenario is that the CAPS will let him walk next year as an FA.
note your bolded statement,

if youre a caps fan and you think thats the likely resolution to Semins career as a capital, vis a vis walking away as a free agent, whereby the capitals get nothing for a pretty valuable asset, why wouldn't you talk up his value so you could trade him?

Seems to me like my remarks were pretty on target, and they were rational and meant to give people pause. it wasnt an insult directed at you or any other poster in particular, just recognition that there are those who would do so.

The fact that Ichabod lives in baltimore and sees all the capitals games is pertinent, since as an islander fan, if he thought his play was so good that he could make us a much better team, he'd give us a glowing report, since he too is an isles fan, That he doesnt do so tells us he's not worth pursuing. That he's so adamant about his opinion tells me that he sees him as a possible detriment to our development and that is a warning we do good to heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Another scenario: the Caps have had enough of the player, would rather move him for futures and use the freed up cap space elsewhere.
Thank you for your honesty you too hint at an issue regarding attitude which is all ichabod was relating to, Thank you for acknowleging it may well be an issue


Last edited by Isles_Guy*: 05-24-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 05:27 PM
  #68
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,119
vCash: 500
Do not see the Islanders adding a player of this nature for one season, and certainly not giving up anything of significance to get this player.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 06:00 PM
  #69
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,254
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
Where is your proof? That's nothing but baseless speculation you're stating as fact there.
if you think he'll sign for a discount in washington then keep him

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 06:06 PM
  #70
Fallschirmyager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues22 View Post
note your bolded statement,

if youre a caps fan and you think thats the likely resolution to Semins career as a capital, vis a vis walking away as a free agent, whereby the capitals get nothing for a pretty valuable asset, why wouldn't you talk up his value so you could trade him?

Seems to me like my remarks were pretty on target, and they were rational and meant to give people pause. it wasnt an insult directed at you or any other poster in particular, just recognition that there are those who would do so.

The fact that Ichabod lives in baltimore and sees all the capitals games is pertinent, since as an islander fan, if he thought his play was so good that he could make us a much better team, he'd give us a glowing report, since he too is an isles fan, That he doesnt do so tells us he's not worth pursuing. That he's so adamant about his opinion tells me that he sees him as a possible detriment to our development and that is a warning we do good to heed


Thank you for your honesty you too hint at an issue regarding attitude which is all ichabod was relating to, Thank you for acknowleging it may well be an issue
Originally Posted by blues22 View Post
yes he has, and he's a certified genius compared to you

you don't see this as an attempt at insult? I called out a poster who wrote a response that took the tone of a petulant child. The first line of his response was a feeble and well worn insult. His third line either showed a total lack of knowledge or another attempt at obnoxious insult. His only accuracy was Semin does have an almost 7 mil salary. The poster ichabod has yet to post anything of actual value to the discussion. You immediately jumped to his aide with your own insult.

Now that things have turned civil, GMGM has said that Semin is an integral part of the playoff push and would not be traded. That was this past trade deadline. There is no reason to expect anything different this year. It would appear he would be willing to let him walk. As for talking up the value of a player to get a better deal, that's just good business. Unfortunately to address what I think his trade value is you'd have to consider whether the destination team and city had a Russian contingent. That limits the market and therefore his value. By all accounts his English is fine but he still refuses to do interviews in English because he doesn't trust the press.

There are 0 credible sources that say he's a locker room issue.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 06:15 PM
  #71
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,166
vCash: 500
I don't see the Island being a good fit for Semin or what they're trying to build out there.

If a Semin trade does go down it should be Semin for Paul Stastny. Fits needs for both teams and the cap hits are about the same.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 06:25 PM
  #72
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues22 View Post
the point is though that he will only be a capital for one year,
he wants the money, and he will fly when you dont pay him
actually, thats not true. he wants to play for the capitals. he could have been a ufa in july. he took another contract. his agent is a market player. the agent said that semin wanted to stay where he was and they wanted to see the new cba before they inked a long term deal.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:45 PM
  #73
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 11,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues22 View Post
if youre a caps fan and you think thats the likely resolution to Semins career as a capital, vis a vis walking away as a free agent, whereby the capitals get nothing for a pretty valuable asset, why wouldn't you talk up his value so you could trade him?
Ignoring the rest of the bickering here, this is a completely ridiculous statement.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.