HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Rafalski Retires

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2011, 01:26 PM
  #76
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
I personally think Raff would be a great practice coach helping out defenseman. He's very well spoken and knows a lot about the game.

Do it Lou!

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:02 AM
  #77
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,396
vCash: 500
One of my favorites too. I think he was our greatest loss in the past few years. He, and Gionta. Was hoping the Devils could re sign him, but he had another year on his contract. Haha okay just kidding. Detroit will still prosper like always though. Man remember all the controversy surrounding Rafalski signing with the Red Wings, and only the day before he was signing with the Devils supposedly? That was a time. He will be missed out there though. I still enjoyed watching him with Detroit, and he was still playing good D his time there.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 11:51 AM
  #78
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
http://video.devils.nhl.com/videocen...=745&id=115705

pretty cool

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 11:54 AM
  #79
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Nice of them to do a tribute video for him.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 11:58 AM
  #80
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,808
vCash: 425
Look how many times he scored going below the faceoff dots... that's what we need again - a defense that can take the puck in deep to chip in with scoring and not just be chained to the blue line and start backing up as soon as the puck is off the forward's stick.

__________________

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:08 PM
  #81
Drewr15
Registered User
 
Drewr15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Like this...


Drewr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:10 PM
  #82
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Look how many times he scored going below the faceoff dots... that's what we need again - a defense that can take the puck in deep to chip in with scoring and not just be chained to the blue line and start backing up as soon as the puck is off the forward's stick.
Ryan Murphy you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
Like this...
Urbom is absolutely fearless, that`s what I really like about him.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:20 PM
  #83
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,808
vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
Like this...


As founder of the Urbom Squad, I think you know I fully support him - but let's be honest here. That play was at the end of a meaningless game of a meaningless season without a hope of making the playoffs save a 5-way mid-air collision of NHL charters.

He stunk it up the first part of the season and could barely put 2 solid passes together... so this goal while more fun to look at than some topless spring break bunnies and almost as er... stirring, is what amounts to an anomaly at this point for the young man. I hope this is what we come to expect time and time again, but I think we have more hope in getting the offensive punch from Taormina at this point than Urbom. That said - I hope the 'bom squad gets a good reason to sport some banners again next season.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:23 PM
  #84
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I think he'll start with the team again next season, and hopefully with a competent coach he'll be better.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:26 PM
  #85
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,006
vCash: 500
If I had the choice of giving Raffy $6M, Rolston $5M, or Gio $5M I'd definitely give Raffy the $6M before giving the other 2 Brians $5M. That's in hindsight by the way.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:27 PM
  #86
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,973
vCash: 500
Maybe I have a short memory, but I don`t think he was that bad. Especially considering it was his first NHL experience not to mention who was standing behind the bench. As far as I know he`s been much better in Albany and I think he`ll be ok next year.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:33 PM
  #87
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,808
vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Maybe I have a short memory, but I don`t think he was that bad. Especially considering it was his first NHL experience not to mention who was standing behind the bench. As far as I know he`s been much better in Albany and I think he`ll be ok next year.
Keep your memory that way - you don't want to recall the ugliness. I kept wanting him to bust out and get noticed... but all he got noticed for was some terrible decisions to chase the puck behind the net into the corner and leave his man wide open in the slot. He was the goat for a solid 4-5 games before getting sent down. These were the same games Tallinder was getting pelted with stones too so obviously the lack of cohesive systems was factoring into it, but still... some dumb decisions just can't be deflected.

Maybe he'll come out a year wiser, stronger and more confident after ending the season on a high note.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:42 PM
  #88
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Keep your memory that way - you don't want to recall the ugliness. I kept wanting him to bust out and get noticed... but all he got noticed for was some terrible decisions to chase the puck behind the net into the corner and leave his man wide open in the slot. He was the goat for a solid 4-5 games before getting sent down. These were the same games Tallinder was getting pelted with stones too so obviously the lack of cohesive systems was factoring into it, but still... some dumb decisions just can't be deflected.

Maybe he'll come out a year wiser, stronger and more confident after ending the season on a high note.
Do you mean that typical disease of young swedish defensmen coming into the league? I`ve been following Karlsson, OEL, Hedman, Rundblad, Erixon etc. and they all do that. It will come with experience. (should/I hope so)


Last edited by Getzo5: 05-26-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:07 PM
  #89
Drewr15
Registered User
 
Drewr15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
As founder of the Urbom Squad, I think you know I fully support him - but let's be honest here. That play was at the end of a meaningless game of a meaningless season without a hope of making the playoffs save a 5-way mid-air collision of NHL charters.

He stunk it up the first part of the season and could barely put 2 solid passes together... so this goal while more fun to look at than some topless spring break bunnies and almost as er... stirring, is what amounts to an anomaly at this point for the young man. I hope this is what we come to expect time and time again, but I think we have more hope in getting the offensive punch from Taormina at this point than Urbom. That said - I hope the 'bom squad gets a good reason to sport some banners again next season.
Agreed a meaningless game but my point wasn't about Urbom specifically but about the D being allowed to pinch. That said, the fact that he attempted that play showed me a world of difference in his confidence from the beginning of the season when he would have not rushed in. I'm sure part of that had to do with MacLean's directive that - at least according to Tallinder - was not allowing them to pinch but I think it shows his confidence level was higher too.


Last edited by Drewr15: 05-26-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Drewr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:36 PM
  #90
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,808
vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
Agreed a meaningless game but my point wasn't about Urbom specifically but about the D being allowed to pinch. That said, the fact that he attempted that play showed me a world of difference in his confidence from the beginning of the season when he would have not rushed in. I'm sure part of that had to do with MacLean's directive that - at least according to Tallinder - was not allowing them to pinch but I think it shows his confidence level was higher too.
Ah - I get you.

This is the crux of my angst - this mindset that D shouldn't pitch in and help out. It drives me nuts - and this is the "run and gun" coach MacLean we're talking about. People think of him and the failures and somehow want to equate offensive system with failure. Not true. Feelance isn't the same as offensive, and I do not condone freelancing pond hockey by any means, but I do want a system that supports defense taking the opportunities presented to create a scoring chance.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
  #91
Drewr15
Registered User
 
Drewr15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Ah - I get you.

This is the crux of my angst - this mindset that D shouldn't pitch in and help out. It drives me nuts - and this is the "run and gun" coach MacLean we're talking about. People think of him and the failures and somehow want to equate offensive system with failure. Not true. Feelance isn't the same as offensive, and I do not condone freelancing pond hockey by any means, but I do want a system that supports defense taking the opportunities presented to create a scoring chance.
I remember it driving Elias nuts too - after a few games he made comments about how it was 3 vs 5 in the offensive zone and they needed help from the D to generate offense.

It is ironic that MacLean was supposed to be run and gun but held the D back but Lemaire who is supposed to be D first all the time - had the D join the rush more than MacLean ever did.

Drewr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:41 PM
  #92
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,808
vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
I remember it driving Elias nuts too - after a few games he made comments about how it was 3 vs 5 in the offensive zone and they needed help from the D to generate offense.

It is ironic that MacLean was supposed to be run and gun but held the D back but Lemaire who is supposed to be D first all the time - had the D join the rush more than MacLean ever did.
That was the beauty of Leamire 2.0 last season... he made significant changes to his philosophy. Whether it was getting away from the game and seeing it from the outside looking in, or whether it was him being the old softie heading into the sunset and just having fun - I don't know but I liked it.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:04 PM
  #93
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party
 
Chessarmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,496
vCash: 500
Awesome defenseman, an unfortunate loss for the Devils to Free Agency years ago but I'm glad he capped off his career with a winning hockey club

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:11 PM
  #94
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!
 
Rob Nieds work ethic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lund, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Rafalski's press conference

http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videoc...tid=0&id=66722

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.