HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Rafalski Reportedly to Retire this week

Old
05-23-2011, 05:55 PM
iMiller

vCash: 500
Brian Rafalski Reportedly to Retire this week

http://http://www.thedetroitsportssi...-this-week/967

Quote:
The Red Wings could have some much needed cap space opening up, too bad it would be at the expense of Brian Rafalski who, as reported by Sportsnet, will be announcing his retirement this week.

Rafalski, an 11 year veteran of the NHL with the New Jersey Devils and Detroit, was slated to give the Red Wings a cap hit of $6 million in the last year of his current contract. Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet in Canada Tweeted that injuries were the reason behind his decision to retire. The hole on defense is not one Detroit expected to have going into next season.

Details are still pending on when the announcement will be and what Rafalski’s next steps are. He played four years of his career in Detroit where he played on the top line with Nicklas Lidstrom. Beyond the NHL, Rafalski was also the top defenseman on the USA Olympic hockey team and chipped in a key goals during the team’s improbable run to the Gold Medal Game last year.
Was doing some research and came across this article, but it's basically all over the net now. If Brian does decide to "hang 'em up" congrats on a fantastic career and it's unfortunate because he's world class act too that basically sums it up. However, expect Detroit to really be on the decline if Lidstrom retires and if Ericsson tests UFA. Expect one of the best dynasties ever in professional sports to hit the decline and slowly come to an end.

iMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Moskau

More of less official. http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=366668

I predict that Lidstrom plays one more year.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Zip15

I think this pretty much guarantees that one of Bieksa or Ehrhoff will be wearing the winged wheel next season.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I predict that Lidstrom plays one more year.
I think so too - if both he and Rafalski are gone, the Wings could be eager to stock up on some younger defensemen with NHL experience.

"Hello, Ken, it's Darcy...have I got a deal for you..."

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Leopold for Filpulla ?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Moskau

Lidstrom just plays such a smart game that the wear and tear on his body is probably minimal for his age. Nathan Paetsch gets drilled more in one game than Niklas has in his entire career.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Leopold for Filpulla ?
I think they'd want younger. Sekera might be of interest to them. We know they're not afraid of building a predominately European team.

Old
05-23-2011, 06:43 PM
CowbellConray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I think so too - if both he and Rafalski are gone, the Wings could be eager to stock up on some younger defensemen with NHL experience.

"Hello, Ken, it's Darcy...have I got a deal for you..."
What would it take for Sheahan?

Rights to Sekera and a lower D prospect?

They need some NHL ready D-men as you stated, and Sekera would probably play well into their style.

CowbellConray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think they'd want younger. Sekera might be of interest to them. We know they're not afraid of building a predominately European team.
done

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Zip15

Quote:
done
When the Filppula debates were raging, I'd offer one of the following two packages:

1) Sekera

or

2) Butler + Gerbe (Detroit would have to add a little for this one given their needs)

I think the first may be of some interest to Detroit at this time.

Old
05-23-2011, 06:50 PM
buffalowing88

Sheahan for Sekera and Persson?

Anyways, I always liked Rafalski. Definitely a top 10 favorite player post lockout. He was about as smart of a player as any in the league and his offensive skill was fun to watch, even while he rarely sacrificied strong play in his own end. Those 2010 Olympics should have been his coming out party as much as Miller's. He was involved in every offensive rush and came out leading the team in points if I'm not mistaken.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:50 PM
CowbellConray

The more I think about it i want Fillpula.

As was discussed earlier in the month? Stafford for Fillpula. So what if we try to get a package deal.

Stafford and Sekera

Fillpula and Sheahan

Picks or prospects could work the deal out...

Old
05-23-2011, 06:52 PM
CowbellConray

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Sheahan for Sekera and Persson?

Anyways, I always liked Rafalski. Definitely a top 10 favorite player post lockout. He was about as smart of a player as any in the league and his offensive skill was fun to watch, even while he rarely sacrificied strong play in his own end. Those 2010 Olympics should have been his coming out party as much as Miller's. He was involved in every offensive rush and came out leading the team in points if I'm not mistaken.
I agree with the Olympics statement. He was very good in the offensive zone and I thought he directed the play very well. We was a joy to watch when he would man the blue line on the point. Just so smart and prepared.

Old
05-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post
The more I think about it i want Fillpula.

As was discussed earlier in the month? Stafford for Fillpula. So what if we try to get a package deal.

Stafford and Sekera

Fillpula and Sheahan

Picks or prospects could work the deal out...
Bad deal for Buffalo. Sekera and Flip are close in value right now, but Stafford has a ton more value than a late-1st round prospect, even if it's one we think we targeted.

Old
05-23-2011, 07:01 PM
OpethianSabre20

Apparently, Rafalski played without an ACL in his knee during the playoffs. Damn...

Definitely one of the best American-born defenseman to ever lace 'em up.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:10 PM
CowbellConray

Quote:
Bad deal for Buffalo. Sekera and Flip are close in value right now, but Stafford has a ton more value than a late-1st round prospect, even if it's one we think we targeted.
What about our third for their late first. We are able to obtain a center or forward prospect to fill the holes that we have. I think that there is some good talent to stil be had at pick 24. So if we were able to move up that many spots we can find a possible center for 2-3 years down the road.

Plus Sekera and Stafford are RFA's right now, which means that they might not sign with Detroit. We know Valterri will play for us next year, but Detroit doesn't know if they are actually walking away with anything. Maybe just Cap Space.

Old
05-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Zip15

Quote:
What about our third for their late first. We are able to obtain a center or forward prospect to fill the holes that we have. I think that there is some good talent to stil be had at pick 24. So if we were able to move up that many spots we can find a possible center for 2-3 years down the road.

Plus Sekera and Stafford are RFA's right now, which means that they might not sign with Detroit. We know Valterri will play for us next year, but Detroit doesn't know if they are actually walking away with anything. Maybe just Cap Space.
If we assume that Sekera = Flip, then we have to gauge the value of Stafford. Detroit has pick #24. That's not enough for a relatively young player coming off a 31-goal season and a 40+ goal pace. Now, if they sweeten the pot with Jarnkrok or Sheahan, I would start thinking about it.

Regarding the bolded, all Detroit would have to do is sign the players. If they received offer sheets, Detroit would have the option of matching or collecting the compensatory picks if they chose not to match. But given their needs, I'm sure they'd get both guys signed.

Old
05-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Stone87

I wonder if they will replace him with Kaberle.

Stone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:24 PM
CowbellConray

Quote:
If we assume that Sekera = Flip, then we have to gauge the value of Stafford. Detroit has pick #24. That's not enough for a relatively young player coming off a 31-goal season and a 40+ goal pace. Now, if they sweeten the pot with Jarnkrok or Sheahan, I would start thinking about it.

Regarding the bolded, all Detroit would have to do is sign the players. If they received offer sheets, Detroit would have the option of matching or collecting the compensatory picks if they chose not to match. But given their needs, I'm sure they'd get both guys signed.
No Im saying that the proposal would be:
Sekera and Stafford

Filp Sheahan and the 24th pick

Old
05-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Zip15

Quote:
No Im saying that the proposal would be:
Sekera and Stafford

Filp Sheahan and the 24th pick
That's what I was saying, too. It's an interesting proposition. On the one hand, it gives us an NHL top-9 center, a solid center prospect (Shehan), and a second 1st rounder this year. That opens the possibility of moving Vanek to RW and signing one of Flip's fellow Finns (alliteration!), Ville Leino or Jussi Jokinen. On the other hand, we're giving up a top-4 defenseman and a top-6 forward, so I'm not sure that's consistent with Pegula's stated goal of winning the Cup within three years--though if they add a piece like Leino/Jokinen and a top-4 defenseman like Bieksa this summer, that would more than offset the loss of Rej and Staff. Still, if Flip stays a 40-point center and Shehan doesn't develop as hoped, I'm sure we'd hear a lot of complaining around here every year as Stafford is scoring 30 goals on Datsyuk's or Zetterberg's wing.

Old
05-23-2011, 07:56 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I'll use this as a forum to voice my thoughts on the player:

His rise to the upper echelon of dmen in the league is one of the best stories of the past decade. He played the game with passion, and played the position with ease. Obviously wasn't a hitter, but got his body in the places it needed to be to be effective physically. Saw the ice like few have over the past 10 years, and epitomized "catalyst" with his stride and the ease with which he transitioned up ice.

One of my favorite non-sabres ever. Enjoy retirement, sir. Made me proud as an American!

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:35 PM
snieds44

Does Rafalski retiring allow Detroit to get serious about making an offer to Brad Richards. Not trying to wind people up but it seems like a place that he would like to go because it meets alot of his wants.

snieds44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Pengo

Quote:
2) Butler + Gerbe
No way I would trade Gerbe right now. Gerbe is the team's heart & soul.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Sekera and draft picks for Filppula and Thomas McCollum.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 03:01 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Leopold for Filpulla ?
Works for me, assuming the Sabres add another veteran defenseman via another move this summer......

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote