Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

'10 for #10' ...a First Round Bust joint

Old
06-05-2011, 06:42 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
The seventh player in the series and first defenseman profiled, Nathan Beaulieu of the Saint John Sea Dogs. Enjoy!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 06:57 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Of all the reviewed guys so far, Beaulieu just strikes me as the guy who's most likely to bust. For whatever reason, whenever I read something on him I just don't get the sense that he's a prospect that's going to pan out.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I really wouldn't mind drafting Beaulieu. He seems like the complete package, even if he isn't outstanding in any one area. His weaknesses should be corrected fairly easily and quickly with some coaching.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 09:25 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Of all the reviewed guys so far, Beaulieu just strikes me as the guy who's most likely to bust. For whatever reason, whenever I read something on him I just don't get the sense that he's a prospect that's going to pan out.
That makes sense. Beaulieu is a Q defenseman (which is never an easy task) and from talking to scouts, sources and fans he's someone who they either really like or don't. Even rankings-wise he's 5th in one scouting report and 18th in another.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:00 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Player number next - Duncan Siemens. This might have been my favorite player to discuss with others as some people loved and others hated him.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:06 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

His offensive upside is so questionable, it's listed twice in his write-up.

Do not want.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

I love Dan's contribution to the piece.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 07:38 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Me too.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:18 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I love Dan's contribution to the piece.

I'm a fan.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:06 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Sounds a bit like what Bulmer brings in... er...competitive spirit but its easier to sneak one of those guys in your forward lines than it is to justify slotting him in your D (if that aggression is his main asset). No one on earth seems to think he'll be the slightest help offensively and I have to wonder how well he's going to do defensively if he's always looking to crush someone. Don't get me wrong--I love that attitude and think we don't have enough of it, but D like that never really seem worth it unless they're smart enough to pick their spots. Rome from the Canucks and Peckham from the Oilers come to mind as examples of this gone wrong. On the plus side he could be the next Scott Stevens! But how likely is that?
Not really the kind of risk/reward i'm looking for in a first round pick.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:45 PM
LemaireisGOD

Sounds like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Sounds a bit like what Bulmer brings in... er...competitive spirit but its easier to sneak one of those guys in your forward lines than it is to justify slotting him in your D (if that aggression is his main asset). No one on earth seems to think he'll be the slightest help offensively and I have to wonder how well he's going to do defensively if he's always looking to crush someone. Don't get me wrong--I love that attitude and think we don't have enough of it, but D like that never really seem worth it unless they're smart enough to pick their spots. Rome from the Canucks and Peckham from the Oilers come to mind as examples of this gone wrong. On the plus side he could be the next Scott Stevens! But how likely is that?
Not really the kind of risk/reward i'm looking for in a first round pick.
Sounds a lot like Dylan McIlrath if you ask me; and many felt the Rangers reached big time when they picked him over Fowler. Just sayin'...

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:54 PM
LemaireisGOD

I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
His offensive upside is so questionable, it's listed twice in his write-up.

Do not want.
I'd be pretty angry if the Wild take a defenseman with their 1st round pick. Beaulieu or Hamilton are probably the only ones I'd remotely consider. Otherwise this team is doing itself a huge disservice by not drafting a forward; preferably one with goal scoring ability AND SPEED. If he's not fast he's a liability and does not solve the issues this team has had the last few years. We need to get back to our skating roots which was a quality we coveted during our early years and over time we got away from that and we've paid a price for that IMO.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:00 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Yeah, I liked (and still like) McIlrath but I didn't like him taken that early either. Who knows. I think McIlrath has a better shot at sticking in the NHL because he can double as an intimidating goon a little more effectively than Siemens IMO. I obviously haven't watched either play a full game let alone a series of games so it's just guesswork.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:22 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
Sounds a lot like Dylan McIlrath if you ask me; and many felt the Rangers reached big time when they picked him over Fowler. Just sayin'...
My thoughts exactly. Plus it's not like the Wild need another physical defensive defensemen in their system.

Old
06-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
We need to get back to our skating roots which was a quality we coveted during our early years and over time we got away from that and we've paid a price for that IMO.
I agree. I always used to find it interesting that Gaborik wasn't even the fastest guy on his own team, let alone the whole league, as long as Wes Walz was playing.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:51 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
We need to get back to our skating roots which was a quality we coveted during our early years and over time we got away from that and we've paid a price for that IMO.
Maybe not necessarily that, but I think there were about 3-4 drafts where the philosophy of who they looked for constantly changed: "Talent! No, we want speed, wait, no, we want grit!"

I think Fletcher is a big speed and grit guy, but last year Flahr reiterated "character" when talking about guys like Larsson and Zucker.

I do agree that a theme/element/motif should be adhered to.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post

I do agree that a theme/element/motif should be adhered to.
How about "good hockey player"?

Old
06-08-2011, 04:53 PM
zzmoto

There seems to be some doubt concerning Armias motivation and ability to evolve. Thing is, Mikael Granlund seems to be the kind of player who brings out the very best in his wings.
With Armia to his right, who knows what may happen.

zzmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:43 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

I'd have to watch Granlund play in the NHL before I'm ready to say he's a "character" guy, but I would say "character" has been the focus since Fletcher took over and I don't see it ever changing. Usually if you find a high end guy with character you've either drafted him or he's manifested his talent after you picked him away from someone--no one trades those guys away.
Even though it's beastly hard to tell if someone will mature into a character guy the first round of the draft is still the best place to pick up that guy. I get the feeling that Fletcher will weigh character heavily when it's time to pick--especially when there are bound to be a good variety of player types to chose from where we're sitting. Some people might be disappointed by the pick, but I'd be willing to bet his rational for going against (HF Wild Boards) conventional wisdom will be the character thing.
Please don't go all crazy on me--i'm not saying he's going to pick up someone who should go 25ish just because he likes him, but he might fall in love with a less obvious choice during interviews. It'll probably be because of something like that if we trade down.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I'd have to watch Granlund play in the NHL before I'm ready to say he's a "character" guy, but I would say "character" has been the focus since Fletcher took over and I don't see it ever changing. Usually if you find a high end guy with character you've either drafted him or he's manifested his talent after you picked him away from someone--no one trades those guys away.
Even though it's beastly hard to tell if someone will mature into a character guy the first round of the draft is still the best place to pick up that guy. I get the feeling that Fletcher will weigh character heavily when it's time to pick--especially when there are bound to be a good variety of player types to chose from where we're sitting. Some people might be disappointed by the pick, but I'd be willing to bet his rational for going against (HF Wild Boards) conventional wisdom will be the character thing.
Please don't go all crazy on me--i'm not saying he's going to pick up someone who should go 25ish just because he likes him, but he might fall in love with a less obvious choice during interviews. It'll probably be because of something like that if we trade down.
Character is a poor substitute for talent. Tom Younghans comes to mind - all the character/hustle in the world, but ineffective in the NHL. As you point out, talent WITH character is a plus, so here's hoping.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:13 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Character is a poor substitute for talent. Tom Younghans comes to mind - all the character/hustle in the world, but ineffective in the NHL. As you point out, talent WITH character is a plus, so here's hoping.
yeah, i'm not saying he'd draft Viellieux over Heatley, but if the talent is relatively close in picks 10-20 it's not hard to imagine they'd drop down and pick up a second rounder because they feel a guy they like will still be there.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:52 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

The player who LemaireisGOD has been waiting for...Sven Bartschi.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Caior89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
The player who LemaireisGOD has been waiting for...Sven Bartschi.
not only him!

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:45 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Would love to move down, grab a guy like Bartschi, then Rask and Granlund.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

I am not completely sold on him yet and I don't know the reason either. There are a few other players I'd take at 10 who are expected to be there before I took Sven. I wouldn't be heartbroken if he were the pick, though. I trust what Fletch and his scouts see more than what I see.

That said, I enjoyed this write-up quite a bit. Based on Nate's comments, he sounds a lot like Semin to me. Maybe Samuelsson. Needs to be scoring and staying in the middle to be considered relevant. With his lack of size, he might balk at going into the crease with the types of players the NHL has now. At least he is starting to step up defensively.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote