Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

'10 for #10' ...a First Round Bust joint

Old
06-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I still don't understand how Bartschi is supposed to be any different than Bouchard.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I still don't understand how Bartschi is supposed to be any different than Bouchard.
Every scouting report I've seen on him says that he usually looks to shoot first. I know a handful of his assists came off his rebound.. He does have nice vision, passes well and is able to create space for himself.. I can see the Bouchard comparisons, though. Sven gives me more of the Eberle or Giroux feel. Maybe it's because he looks like Claude?

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:37 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I am not completely sold on him yet and I don't know the reason either. There are a few other players I'd take at 10 who are expected to be there before I took Sven. I wouldn't be heartbroken if he were the pick, though. I trust what Fletch and his scouts see more than what I see.

That said, I enjoyed this write-up quite a bit. Based on Nate's comments, he sounds a lot like Semin to me. Maybe Samuelsson. Needs to be scoring and staying in the middle to be considered relevant. With his lack of size, he might balk at going into the crease with the types of players the NHL has now. At least he is starting to step up defensively.
Thanks. I'm not 100% sold on him (although am probably more sold on Bartschi than Dan) but he has the biggest reward out of any player that can reasonably be taken with the tenth pick (not someone who falls on draft day).

Quote:
Sven shoots first and asks questions does everything else second. Bouchard is a playmaker who defers before shooting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll bet if you put Bouchard in a similar league he'd shoot first as well. When you're playing in a league with smaller, younger, skinnier, and less skilled players, you're a little more comfortable driving the slot.

I don't get the comparisons between Bartschi and Skinner...Bartschi had 34 goals and Skinner had 53 last year. They're the same size, but did Bartschi have the foundation of being a figure skater and the Crosby like build?

Old
06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Even in his draft year Bouchard went something like 40-100 in the Q. He's always been a playmaker.

EDIT: Looked it up. PMB went 46-94.

Old
06-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

If I were gonna compare Bartschi to someone from last year's draft class it'd be Alex Burmistrov. Nice hands, vision, good skater, have started to step up on D. Burmistrov just passes more. I think there's more Bouchard in Burmistrov than there is in Bartschi.

Old
06-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If I were going to compare Skinner to someone, it might be Grimaldi. Only 5'6, but he had the lowest body fat, 5th best vertical leap, and 4th best in pushups. Just unreal athleticism and drive that could make him defy the odds.

Old
06-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Here's an article by TSN where Bob McKenzie raves about Grimaldi's fitness levels.

Kind of makes you wonder where he'd be drafted if he was 5 or 6 inches taller.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well reading his writeup, the big difference is that he goes to the middle of the ice in junior play (but not internationally which would be a question in itself). Bouchard actually has a pretty dang good shot, he just doesn't go to the center of the ice to use it, although he has snuck in from the boards or point to score a lot of goals with slappers, more often than he got credit for.

Otherwise it sounds like he's got similar speed, skating ability, vision, passing, maybe not hands, but otherwise a similar player. The assumption is that he would continue driving to the middle and being aggressive at the next level, but that's not guaranteed.

Old
06-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Here's an article by TSN where Bob McKenzie raves about Grimaldi's fitness levels.

Probably top 5. Work ethic + fitness + talent + size = the total package.

Old
06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
LemaireisGOD

I understand the apprehension...

I guess my question; is the reason we question Bartschi is because he's 5'10" and not 6'2"? I feel that Bartschi is significantly different than Bouchard I really think the Jordan Eberle comparison is spot on. I personally think Puempel compares more to Jeff Skinner than Bartschi does but I'd still say Bartschi is a shoot 1st, pass 2nd kind of guy and that in itself makes him a player the Wild must strongly consider.

I basically said much of the same thing about Bartschi a few days ago. I think this is the kind of kid that can also make playmakers better because of his willingness to shoot as well as his speed creating some space that playmakers may exploit to have scoring opportunities for themselves and Bartschi is a decent passer as well.

I would also say the WHL is one of the most physical of leagues in the CHL in my opinion and there are plenty of head hunters so if Bartschi felt confident enough to skate into the middle in a league like that I think it would be much the same way in a few years when he is in the NHL. I know its been said about Character but Bartschi is a good interview as well and his work ethic and desire to play in the NHL is obvious.

Thanks for the review of Bartschi!

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I guess my apprehension would be, if you take him off a stacked Portland team, that might drop him down to 35-35 for 70 points instead of 85, and does that look as exciting? If he's a shoot first player, why didn't he have more goals?

Old
06-10-2011, 03:24 PM
nickschultzfan

Bartschi gets a big "eh" from me. Size issues aside for a minute, he doesn't seem like a dominate force enough to take him at #10. He would be a perfect piece to team with an established core, especially at center, who need winger depth, or a team who has a couple of 1st rounders and likes he's upside.

A team that drafts him early, expecting to for him to be a game-changer in the NHL, is going to be disappointed.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:24 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post

top 5. Kid has all of the goods. Elite in nearly everything except size.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:33 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Few things:

Re: Character comment...I'm not insinuating that Flahr and Co. value character over talent, but I think the brass really looks at the kid as a person and how that translates going forward. Maturity so to speak, not "character" as in grinder/4th liner type.

re: Bartschi...I can see the draw, but he's got some warts (as it seems they all do) to his game. What really concerns me is that if he's not willing to go into the middle of the ice, then what? Put aside who what team he played on- but if he gets tingly butt doing that in the Dub, what about the AHL or NHL where there's a good chance you're gonna pay the price doing so?

Old
06-11-2011, 12:39 AM
LemaireisGOD

He does...

skate into the middle in the WHL, the question is what if he doesn't? Until that happens, why ask the question? Why didn't have have more goals? He had 34 goals in a defensive league, what is the problem?

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:40 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

The final full profile in this series - defenseman Ryan Murphy of the Kitchener Rangers.

As always, thanks for the feedback. Really glad that this has helped create more a informed dialogue between fans.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:41 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

*Want

Nice write-ups guys! Looking forward to the Honorable Mentions.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Murphy really, really shouldn't be there at #10 but he's probably the best player of the ten that were featured. Size is really the only concern, but if he's actually 5'10 (and not 5'8 or smaller), he'd be a huge asset.

If I were to rank the ten in terms of who I'd pick:

Murphy
Armia
Beaulieu
Puempel
Bartschi
McNeil
Phillips
Zibanejad
Siemens
Schiefele

The top three I'd be very happy picking, the rest would be kind of a disappointment or a question mark.

Old
06-13-2011, 12:14 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Murphy really, really shouldn't be there at #10 but he's probably the best player of the ten that were featured. Size is really the only concern, but if he's actually 5'10 (and not 5'8 or smaller), he'd be a huge asset.

If I were to rank the ten in terms of who I'd pick:

Murphy
Armia
Beaulieu
Puempel
Bartschi
McNeil
Phillips
Zibanejad
Siemens
Schiefele

The top three I'd be very happy picking, the rest would be kind of a disappointment or a question mark.
I'd be shocked as well although he has been available in a couple mock drafts. It's not outside the realm of possibility, which is why Murphy was profiled, but he does counterbalance a few of the "reach" profiles.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Great read on Murphy. I too would be shocked if Murphy were still on the board. I think that kid is gonna be a stud.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

I look at Murphy like this...in 09 we took Leddy, who is roughly the same size as Murphy, maybe 15 pounds heavier. Leddy is an elite skater too, but is nowhere near as dynamic a player as Murphy at the same age.

If Fletcher and Co. are willing to take a 5'10" D in 09, they'll look at taking a 5'10" D in '11.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Strange, I always thought he was 5'9 and listed 5'10 but now he's listed 5'11 everywhere. Leddy was listed 5'10 all over the place and went to 5'11 before the draft. Who knows what the hell these kids actually measure at. If I were to guess I'd bet Murphy's actually 5'9 and Leddy's actually 5'10. And yes, Murphy seems to be a lot more dynamic than Leddy.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:18 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Murphy is there...I guess BPA...but I would still sniff around and see who is looking to move up...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post

If Fletcher and Co. are willing to take a 5'10" D in 09, they'll look at taking a 5'10" D in '11.
Except that was not really Fletcher and Co., but Fletcher and DR's Co. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of that group had no part in draft '10, well, at least TT.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote