HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor - Phi (yes carter)

Old
05-24-2011, 10:21 PM
glucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Dude, that is Panaccio saying that, not Ed Snider. Are you guys lacking reading comprehension?
I never said Snider said he was shopping Carter. How often do top executives come out and say they're shopping a guy?

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 10:23 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
http://www.csnphilly.com/05/12/11/Fl...05&feedID=2231

and for the *************** rumour...

I may be wrong. Could have sworn I saw a tweet with him saying that it was Philly that was pursuing the deal, but i can't find it now. My bad.
Where in that quote do you see the Flyers calling Toronto about Carter? First off, his math is wrong which isn't surprising considering the source. But beyond that, all he says is that the Flyers need to move salary to get a goalie. We all know that. And if they do, he's sure Toronto would love Carter. Again, I'm sure they would - they went after him earlier in his career. At no point does that state that the Flyers are calling Burke and asking them to take Carter. If Holmgren decides he wants to move him, he'll look somewhere that has better "win now" assets then Toronto does before moving him largely for futures.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Tommy Torini
Hell of a thing baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
With your logic then the only way the Leafs will get a #1 Centre is by drafting and developing 1 because if fans aren't willing to create holes on their 2nd line wing, and #4 Dman then no deal would ever get done. When was the last time a legit 1st line centre was traded? Thorton and Richards? Gagne was moved for a song, he could replace a Kulemin type. Higgins signed for 1.5 I believe after 3 seasons of 20+ goals and 1st line PK time. Zherdev was available - non of these guys had Kulemin's season but Gagne and Carter are better then Kulemin and Bozak. If Toronto fans think they can rebuild quickly, but won't part with 2nd tier players to make that happen, they will be very disappointed I fear.
We'll get a number one centre when the opportunity presents himeself (ie. going for B. Richards, he'd cost nothing but cap space which we have plenty of) is all im saying . We have many unknown commodities right now to be making any drastic changes. Maybe Kadri or Colborne is that number one centre. And again, Aulie is not our #4 D-man. He's on the top pairing with Phaneuf.

What's this about a deal never getting done? Only 2nd line wingers and top 4 d-men can be traded? Then no trade would really get done.

Yeah it's been long since a first line centre has been traded, but that's because the price is usually to high to aquire them. As has been said, #1 centres are very valuable and won't get traded for nothing

Kulemin is second tier? I don't know how you rank players but Kulemin is the ideal fit for our second line. It has chemistry and contending teams have more than one scoring line. Yeah Gagne and Zherdev would be fine, but would they have the same impact as Kulemin? Not to mention they would most likely cost more. Higgins? Yeah he had 3 20+ goal seasons, but he hasn't come near that total in a while.

Carter and Gagne> Bozak and Kulemin (could switch Bozak with Grabo though since he's better, results stay the same though) But they would cost more (cap and assets) then what Kuli and Grabo and Bozak would.

Lastly, I don't care about rebuilding quickly so long as we get it right. I'm not expecting a jump from fringe playoff team to Stanley Cup contender in one off season. That's completely unrealistic.

Last edited by Tommy Torini: 05-24-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Tommy Torini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 10:25 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
I never said Snider said he was shopping Carter. How often do top executives come out and say they're shopping a guy?
You didn't?

Quote:
Both the sources of this rumour(CSNPhilly article & ***************) have Philly looking to make the move.

That's the exact point people are refuting. You seem to be implying that Holmgren is looking at Toronto's futures, salivating, and then being told by Burke that he has to move Carter to get them. If the Flyers decide they want to move Carter (doubtful, imo), he'll have plenty of teams to talk to about it.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 10:25 PM
mercury

Quote:
It doesn't even say the Flyers are shopping any of them. It says those are the only single players they could trade to get enough cap space to sign a top goalie.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 10:55 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I'd do it as a Flyers fan. Then trade Versteeg for a first or 2nd.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 11:03 PM
phlocky

For those Leafs fans saying they wouldn't do this trade you are crazy. I know you don't like the idea of creating 2 holes and filling just one but the holes you create can EASILY be filled, much more so that filling the hole that Carter fills with a player of his caliber. the flyers pretty much get hosed. This is a classic example of a bunch of good quantity for great quality.

This would be like the Flyers saying they WOULDN'T trade Carle + Versteeg + 2012 1st for Schenn. Leafs would be saying "No way, Schenn is >>>> than that package and if you want Schenn then JVR/Giroux +++ need to be coming back the other way." I suppose some Flyers may say "No way, we don't need Schenn, this trade creates too many holes, he's just not that good nor worth it."

Sorry, but if I have a chance to trade a bunch of 2nd/3rd liners and 2nd pairing dmen for a top line forward or top pairing dman I DO IT IN A HEARTBEAT!!!! Smart people understand that 2nd/3rd line forwards and 2nd psiring dmen can much more easily be replaced than you can "find" top line forwards/top pairing dmen.

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 11:07 PM
birddog*

Just an FYI for all those listening, which will be almost no one, since it doesn't suit there cause. Burke was interviewed today and has repeatedly stated that he will pursue a center on July 1st and if he is unsuccessful--only then will he try the trade route.

So don't expect anything to happen until we see what happens during UFA season.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 11:10 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
For those Leafs fans saying they wouldn't do this trade you are crazy. I know you don't like the idea of creating 2 holes and filling just one but the holes you create can EASILY be filled, much more so that filling the hole that Carter fills with a player of his caliber. the flyers pretty much get hosed. This is a classic example of a bunch of good quantity for great quality.

This would be like the Flyers saying they WOULDN'T trade Carle + Versteeg + 2012 1st for Schenn. Leafs would be saying "No way, Schenn is >>>> than that package and if you want Schenn then JVR/Giroux +++ need to be coming back the other way." I suppose some Flyers may say "No way, we don't need Schenn, this trade creates too many holes, he's just not that good nor worth it."

Sorry, but if I have a chance to trade a bunch of 2nd/3rd liners and 2nd pairing dmen for a top line forward or top pairing dman I DO IT IN A HEARTBEAT!!!! Smart people understand that 2nd/3rd line forwards and 2nd psiring dmen can much more easily be replaced than you can "find" top line forwards/top pairing dmen.
Apparently physical 30 goal wingers and 21 year old 6'6" mobile defencemen are EASILY replaced.

Leafs are better served going after Richards -- he a better player -- and they won't need to pay him for the next 11 years.

Old
05-24-2011, 11:12 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post

Oh and Versteeg is not even close to Kulemin.

Old
05-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Woll Smoth

I'd do it as a Leafs fan

Losing Kulemin would be a really tough pill to swallow, but we have Kadri and Frattin who are going to be competing for spots on the wing.

Burke already said that Frattin won't be needing any time in the minors, and Kadri will likely spend the majority of the season(60+games) on the big club.

If Kadri is able to play C in the NHL that's a bonus of having lots of depth on C with Carter, Grabo and Kadri.

As for the 2 holes being created to fill one part... The number 1 center hole is much bigger than the top 6 winger/rookie shut down d-man holes combined. The Leafs already have 2 pure shut down d-men in Schenn and Komisarek, losing Aulie is definitely worth gaining Carter.

The 2012 draft is supposed to be deep, but having a player prove he can score 38+ as a Leaf would offset losing 30th overall ()

But lets be reality, doesn't Philly have other ways to save cap other than losing a player they recently signed for 11 years?

Woll Smoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nophun View Post
Gagnefan is right. Aulie is average at best and no team other then the Leafs should bother with him.

He should probably resign with the Leafs for league min. long term because nobody else would ever want him. imo
Could you please talk to his agent then, cause at league min. he would be an absolute steal!!

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
lol

Tell me, which hole is most important? 1st line center(that plays PP and PK), or 2nd line LW and 3rd pairing defenseman?
Please remember that it's the Leafs, not the Flyers. Aulie may be third pairing on your team, but here he's 3rd overall behind Schenn and Phaneuf. And as for Kuli, again, maybe second liner for Philly, but 1st and most productive line here. As i stated before, i would love to have Carter, if he were the one piece that gets the Leafs beyond a couple of rounds in the playoffs,but he's not. We do not have the depth to replace these 2 guys. So the idea of giving Komi or lebda more minutes,or signing yet another plug on D doesn't appeal to me. You will see i'm not bashing Cartet. He would be a great addition.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 01:20 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
I'd do it as a Leafs fan

Losing Kulemin would be a really tough pill to swallow, but we have Kadri and Frattin who are going to be competing for spots on the wing.

Burke already said that Frattin won't be needing any time in the minors, and Kadri will likely spend the majority of the season(60+games) on the big club.

If Kadri is able to play C in the NHL that's a bonus of having lots of depth on C with Carter, Grabo and Kadri.

As for the 2 holes being created to fill one part... The number 1 center hole is much bigger than the top 6 winger/rookie shut down d-man holes combined. The Leafs already have 2 pure shut down d-men in Schenn and Komisarek, losing Aulie is definitely worth gaining Carter.

The 2012 draft is supposed to be deep, but having a player prove he can score 38+ as a Leaf would offset losing 30th overall ()

But lets be reality, doesn't Philly have other ways to save cap other than losing a player they recently signed for 11 years?

Very well put. If I were the Leafs I take this deal and run.

And yes, the Flyers DO have other ways to shed salary. If trading Carter were our only real viable way of shedding salary to be able to aquire a top end UFA goalie then I'd certainly consider this package. I'd also look at other packages from other teams but this is not "bad" value for Carter. The points is for the Flyers it's harder to replace Carter as 5.2 mil and what he brings than it is to replace Hartnell @ 4.2, Versteeg @ 3.0, Leino @ 3.0, Carle @ 3.4, and Meszaros @ 4.0 for what THEY bring to the team. We can also bury all of those guys in the minors if nobody wants them. We CAN trade Hartnell even if he really doesn't want to leave simply by telling him that he's going to be in the AHL if he doesn't accept a trade (he has a NTC not a NMC).

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:02 PM
FrankM73

It's gotta to the point that I now click on proposed Toronto trades for entertainment value only... It's like the TMZ of HFboards... too funny!

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote