HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Draft Discussion

Old
05-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Berakos

vCash: 500
2011 NHL Draft Discussion

Are we planning on using this thread for the upcoming draft?

Last edited by Langway: 06-24-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Berakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:50 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
I can't remember what we did last year but for some reason I don't believe so..someone just started a 2010 NHL Entry Draft thread.

05-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Voila.

Unless Nashville comes back and upsets Vancouver, the Caps will have the 26th pick (same as last year). They aren't set to pick again until the fourth round and have retained their picks in rounds 5-7.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

This is the least I've follow a draft class in years. Haven't seen much beyond the top half dozen guys.

That said, it seems to me the organizational depth on defense is lacking, and they could use some gritty forwards that have a chance at being top-6 contributors down the line. Gimme a Kyle Clifford type and a mobile defenseman or two from this draft class and I'll be satisfied.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:53 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
This is the least I've follow a draft class in years. Haven't seen much beyond the top half dozen guys.

That said, it seems to me the organizational depth on defense is lacking, and they could use some gritty forwards that have a chance at being top-6 contributors down the line. Gimme a Kyle Clifford type and a mobile defenseman or two from this draft class and I'll be satisfied.
I want a picture of your face the instant they draft Jurco.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Semin

Knowing the Caps they will probably end up drafting Alexander Khokhlachev.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
or Namestnikov or Khokhlachev

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 04:27 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
or Namestnikov or Khokhlachev
Am I pronouncing those right in my head? Name-Stink-ov and Choke-la-chev?

Classic....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
That would be typical. Nikita Kucherov would be yet another typical one.

Orlov & Flemming next season ought to help in the mobile D depth department. It could always stand to be better, of course. Maybe Tyler Biggs (perhaps the closest thing to Clifford this year) falls to 26 but even at that point I'm not sure they'd see enough upside in his game.

Their M.O. in the first round lately for the most part seems to be going for players that are pretty mature for their age and are fairly easily projectable. Players that are likely capable of playing in the NHL in a year or two after being drafted yet also bring considerable long-term upside.

Old
05-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Berakos

What are the possibilities of Scott Mayfield falling to the early/late 20s?

Berakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Most projections I've seen had Mayfield being picked in the last few picks of the 1st or the early 2nd round. Good chance he's available at 26 if that's who you want.

One mock draft I saw had us taking Grimaldi.

I'd like it if Jensen or Saad (who's being projected all over the place and is currently ranked 24th by ISS) fell to 26, but I doubt it. I'm not sure what's really going to available that we need at 26, but GMGM has pulled rabbits out of hats before. I wouldn't mind us trading up for a Jensen or Saad or trading down and picking a guy like Ambroz.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Tyler Biggs has dropped on many of the scouting service rankings based on his quiet performance at the U18s. I don't know if he presents enough upside in terms of skill to be a target of theirs if he does fall but he's the sort of power forward type that they could use.

If there isn't a player they're really high on that drops to 26 then they should trade back a few spots and pick up a second or third rounder if possible. Maybe take a flier on Jaskin or something and add another top 90 player in the process.

Old
05-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Capitlols

I'm a fan of Joseph Morrow, though he looks to be projected as a early-to-mid 2nd rounder.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Langway
Intangibles

With Morrow's combination of skating, strength and offensive ability, I'd be surprised if he's available when the Caps pick.

Old
05-20-2011, 02:50 PM
DrPP

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Most projections I've seen had Mayfield being picked in the last few picks of the 1st or the early 2nd round. Good chance he's available at 26 if that's who you want.

One mock draft I saw had us taking Grimaldi.

I'd like it if Jensen or Saad (who's being projected all over the place and is currently ranked 24th by ISS) fell to 26, but I doubt it. I'm not sure what's really going to available that we need at 26, but GMGM has pulled rabbits out of hats before. I wouldn't mind us trading up for a Jensen or Saad or trading down and picking a guy like Ambroz.
Ambroz went south this year and he'll most likely play for Lucia next year (right?). Definitely a pass.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPP View Post
Ambroz went south this year and he'll most likely play for Lucia next year (right?). Definitely a pass.
His production was similar to last year (24/22/46 this year vs. 22/27/49 last year). Not sure what his status in regards to playing with the Gophers is, as he couldn't finish up his schoolwork to play with them this year. His stock has certainly fallen a bit, but there was a point when he was considered Top 5/10 in this draft (and for good reason). I wouldn't take him at 26, but if we traded back into the mid-2nd and he was available, it would probably be worth taking a shot there.

Biggest thing that worries me is his skating.

Old
05-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Robert Theodorson

No more "skilled" Russians needed. Get us a big North American defenseman (more like Alzner and less like Schultz) or a promising Finn (who are extremely good and we have none on the Caps) from the WC or Junior teams

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
No more "skilled" Russians needed. Get us a big North American defenseman (more like Alzner and less like Schultz) or a promising Finn (who are extremely good and we have none on the Caps) from the WC or Junior teams
What promising Finn?
Armia? He's not going to be available at 26.
Salomaki? He's a 2nd or 3rd round talent.
Perhonen? Do we really need another goalie prospect?

Pretend to do a bit of research before you constantly spout off the same uninformed crap.

Old
05-20-2011, 06:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

After doing some research into this draft, Daniel Catenacci is the guy I'm rooting for, assuming he doesn't measure too poorly.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Catenacci seems like a lesser Eakin to me (albeit with more of an edge). More speed up front may be the way to go for this team but I'm not sure there's enough upside there for 26. He didn't do a whole lot at the U18s as far as late impressions go.

At 26 it's tough to isolate on a particular target. There's a good 15 or so players I'd consider highly unlikely to be available at their pick but beyond that it's all about how the draft shakes out ahead of them.

You can never have too many well-rounded defensemen in the system, though. One of Morrow, Brodin or Klefbom would be a strong addition going forward. A team like Vancouver centers around their skilled depth on the blueline sparking the transition game for all four lines (though we'll see what UFA ends up doing to it). Combine that with their speedy, tenacious forwards and that's a template worth emulating.

Last edited by Langway: 05-20-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old
05-20-2011, 07:07 PM
um

Quote:
just take the best player available, and with the russian factor he may a russian

um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
What promising Finn?
Armia? He's not going to be available at 26.
Salomaki? He's a 2nd or 3rd round talent.
Perhonen? Do we really need another goalie prospect?

Pretend to do a bit of research before you constantly spout off the same uninformed crap.
Why? That's what we have finger pointing basement dwellers like you for.

Thanks for the info, was also unaware we are not allowed to draft anybody outside of the 1st round, I am getting forgetful in my age, pardon me.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
just take the best player available, and with the russian factor he may a russian
Agreed. When you are drafting that low in the 1st round you always take the BPA except if maybe you need a young goaltender in your system. And if for some reason you have an edge in your ability to convince someone to come play for you who maybe wouldn't want to play for someone else and that is why the BPA slips to you you would be a complete fool not to take him.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:49 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Why? That's what we have finger pointing basement dwellers like you for.

Thanks for the info, was also unaware we are not allowed to draft anybody outside of the 1st round, I am getting forgetful in my age, pardon me.
Yes, I'm the "finger pointing basement dweller." Not the guy who's every Capitals-related post is about why [individual x] sucks and should be [fired/traded/unsigned].

Old
05-21-2011, 01:05 PM
romao

And what do you guys think about Boone Jenner? As far as I know he plays all-around to-way game, has nice hands and pretty good size (6'1'', 204). Biggest knock on him is his skating, I heard it looks quite awkward. In the majority of rankings he projects as late 1st round pick, so i believe the Caps have some chance to take him with their 26th pick.

romao is offline   Reply With Quote