HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2011, 08:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Wideman aint a 3rd pair guy...

Old
06-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Wideman aint a 3rd pair guy...
Neither is Green or Carlson but since all 3 of those guys shoot right and right shot blueliners rarely do well on the left someone is going to have to be the 3rd pairing guy.

Assuming Poti being healthy is the part I would have taken issue with...

Old
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM
txpd

If Poti is not healthy Wideman, Green and Carlson are still on different pairs. I think Poti is not playing and Hannan is returning. I also think its likely that BGordon is staying. I find it hard to believe that McPhee would purge both Steckel and Gordon and leave himself without a dominant faceoff player.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
If Poti is not healthy Wideman, Green and Carlson are still on different pairs. I think Poti is not playing and Hannan is returning. I also think its likely that BGordon is staying. I find it hard to believe that McPhee would purge both Steckel and Gordon and leave himself without a dominant faceoff player.
How dare you insinuate that Beagle is not a dominant faceoff player However part of the reason I left him off was because people brought up a good point in other threads that it's very possible someone might overpay for Gordo. With that said I would imagine that the Caps would try to keep him, while at the same time acknowledging that they might view promoting someone from Hershey as a perfectly acceptable consolation prize.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:13 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
How dare you insinuate that Beagle is not a dominant faceoff player However part of the reason I left him off was because people brought up a good point in other threads that it's very possible someone might overpay for Gordo. With that said I would imagine that the Caps would try to keep him, while at the same time acknowledging that they might view promoting someone from Hershey as a perfectly acceptable consolation prize.

I really hope they keep Gordon... assuming Beagle is ready to step into a full time role I think he's more likely he's taking Bradley's spot, although I'm not crazy about that either... It's nothing against Beagle I just don't know how he'll manage a full time role and Bradley was good at what he did.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:36 PM
txpd

bradley is a momentum turner. fighting or hitting or making a play he gets his fingers into one out of every 5 or 6 games which is pretty strong for a 4th line player. from what ive seen beagle is a fine energy player but he doesnt have much impact. my view is that beagle is an extra forward/injury replacement.

i can see replacing bradley if a guy like talbot can be gotten. someone with playoff chops. short of that, i think bradley stays.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
bradley is a momentum turner. fighting or hitting or making a play he gets his fingers into one out of every 5 or 6 games which is pretty strong for a 4th line player. from what ive seen beagle is a fine energy player but he doesnt have much impact. my view is that beagle is an extra forward/injury replacement.

i can see replacing bradley if a guy like talbot can be gotten. someone with playoff chops. short of that, i think bradley stays.
Admit it, you did that one on purpose.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:39 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

So the Blues just signed Czech Roman Polak to a 5 year deal at the same cap hit as Jeff Schultz.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So the Blues just signed Czech Roman Polak to a 5 year deal at the same cap hit as Jeff Schultz.
Something tells me if you watched an entire season of Blues' games you'd find just as many holes in his game as you have in Schultz's...

Old
06-02-2011, 05:49 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Something tells me if you watched an entire season of Blues' games you'd find just as many holes in his game as you have in Schultz's...
Are you saying it would take an entire season of watching Polak's games just to be able to criticize him at the same level of watching one game for Sarge??? A little hyperbole you think!

Old
06-02-2011, 05:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Every time I've seen Polak played he's impressed me. And the guy can actually skate (and hit).

Old
06-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Are you saying it would take an entire season of watching Polak's games just to be able to criticize him at the same level of watching one game for Sarge??? A little hyperbole you think!

I'm saying when you watch all of one team's games but every other team in the league say 10 times each, and that makes you a pretty huge hockey fan IMO, you are going to notice a lot more warts on the team you watch all the time. Familiarity breeds contempt, that's just the way it is...

Old
06-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Polak's deal includes two more UFA seasons than Schultz's.

Old
06-02-2011, 06:01 PM
txpd

i am curious. who involved from this team do we actually like? from Leonsis down. Patrick, FcPhee, Fishman, MacLellan, Mahoney. Coaching staff, players top to bottom.

Who are we actually happy with? Seems to me that Carlson is about the only one.

Old
06-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Every time I've seen Polak played he's impressed me. And the guy can actually skate (and hit).
I'm sure but you need to watch every game he plays to run the rule over him the same way you do Schultz and I guarantee if you do that you are going to notice a lot more holes in his game.

And weren't you in love with Ballard also?

Old
06-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
i am curious. who involved from this team do we actually like? from Leonsis down. Patrick, FcPhee, Fishman, MacLellan, Mahoney. Coaching staff, players top to bottom.

Who are we actually happy with? Seems to me that Carlson is about the only one.
Who should we be happy with?

Old
06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
We should go to the Blues' board to ask them what it's like to have that in a bottom pairing D man.

Old
06-02-2011, 06:32 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Who should we be happy with?
I dont know. I thought we liked Alzner, but he's not physical enough. Better than Schultz, but not a playoff player. Green and Schultz is obvious. Erskine is marginal.
I suppose we have been generally happy with Wideman.

I am pretty sure that the displeasure with Ovechkin doesnt rank up there with move him, but both he and Backstrom would be solidly there with a slow start next season. Semin....nuff said. Johansson is neither a big 2c or a strong 3c. Half want Laich to walk and the rest of the bottom 6 are mostly on the outs including Hendricks after his playoffs.

Would there be deep unhappiness if Leonsis decided to clean house and blow it up?

Old
06-02-2011, 06:40 PM
fsnoles98

Quote:
I dont know. I thought we liked Alzner, but he's not physical enough. Better than Schultz, but not a playoff player. Green and Schultz is obvious. Erskine is marginal.
I suppose we have been generally happy with Wideman.

I am pretty sure that the displeasure with Ovechkin doesnt rank up there with move him, but both he and Backstrom would be solidly there with a slow start next season. Semin....nuff said. Johansson is neither a big 2c or a strong 3c. Half want Laich to walk and the rest of the bottom 6 are mostly on the outs including Hendricks after his playoffs.

Would there be deep unhappiness if Leonsis decided to clean house and blow it up?
Nope, not at all. If he blew it up, it would be like the Caps of old, just maybe a few more playoffs wins with less talent, lol.

Old
06-02-2011, 07:11 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I'm sure but you need to watch every game he plays to run the rule over him the same way you do Schultz and I guarantee if you do that you are going to notice a lot more holes in his game.

And weren't you in love with Ballard also?
Look at his signing thread on the main board. Compare the reactions of Blues fans to that of Caps fans when Schultz was extended. He's a significantly better player. Not without flaws, but much better than Schultz.

And yes, I loved Ballard as a player, and still do. I'd love to have him on this team (depending on the health of his leg, of course).

Old
06-02-2011, 07:13 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
I'm saying when you watch all of one team's games but every other team in the league say 10 times each, and that makes you a pretty huge hockey fan IMO, you are going to notice a lot more warts on the team you watch all the time. Familiarity breeds contempt, that's just the way it is...
I was a joke.

Old
06-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Capitlols

Sorry I hate doing hypotheticals, but if Richards was willing to sign here for say 5 years at $7mil per. Would anyone be opposed to it? Of course it would likely mean Semin must be traded.

Old
06-02-2011, 09:56 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Sorry I hate doing hypotheticals, but if Richards was willing to sign here for say 5 years at $7mil per. Would anyone be opposed to it? Of course it would likely mean Semin must be traded.
5 years way too long. Semin should be traded regardless but management is so limp-dick I'm not expecting any core moves until Ted starts seeing empty buildings.

Old
06-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Wouldn't make much sense long term. The real question we have to ask is weather Sasha and Evgeny will be on the same team one day. However I highly doubt they would go after another top producing skill guy from the outside like Richards. It's all about filling in spots these days on the bottom two lines as well as possibly getting an affordable upgrade on defense.

If anything the next big offensive guy that will be replaced is Knubble. In which case they would probably look for another guy like Knubble.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 06-02-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old
06-03-2011, 12:18 AM
txpd

Quote:
well...boudreau is still the coach and mcphee still the gm. so, whats the point?

Closed Thread