HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2011, 08:30 PM
  #226
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,096
vCash: 500
Wideman aint a 3rd pair guy...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 08:35 PM
  #227
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Wideman aint a 3rd pair guy...
Neither is Green or Carlson but since all 3 of those guys shoot right and right shot blueliners rarely do well on the left someone is going to have to be the 3rd pairing guy.

Assuming Poti being healthy is the part I would have taken issue with...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM
  #228
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,911
vCash: 500
If Poti is not healthy Wideman, Green and Carlson are still on different pairs. I think Poti is not playing and Hannan is returning. I also think its likely that BGordon is staying. I find it hard to believe that McPhee would purge both Steckel and Gordon and leave himself without a dominant faceoff player.

txpd is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
  #229
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
If Poti is not healthy Wideman, Green and Carlson are still on different pairs. I think Poti is not playing and Hannan is returning. I also think its likely that BGordon is staying. I find it hard to believe that McPhee would purge both Steckel and Gordon and leave himself without a dominant faceoff player.
How dare you insinuate that Beagle is not a dominant faceoff player However part of the reason I left him off was because people brought up a good point in other threads that it's very possible someone might overpay for Gordo. With that said I would imagine that the Caps would try to keep him, while at the same time acknowledging that they might view promoting someone from Hershey as a perfectly acceptable consolation prize.

Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 10:13 PM
  #230
DCRedhawk21
Registered User
 
DCRedhawk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
How dare you insinuate that Beagle is not a dominant faceoff player However part of the reason I left him off was because people brought up a good point in other threads that it's very possible someone might overpay for Gordo. With that said I would imagine that the Caps would try to keep him, while at the same time acknowledging that they might view promoting someone from Hershey as a perfectly acceptable consolation prize.

I really hope they keep Gordon... assuming Beagle is ready to step into a full time role I think he's more likely he's taking Bradley's spot, although I'm not crazy about that either... It's nothing against Beagle I just don't know how he'll manage a full time role and Bradley was good at what he did.

DCRedhawk21 is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 10:36 PM
  #231
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,911
vCash: 500
bradley is a momentum turner. fighting or hitting or making a play he gets his fingers into one out of every 5 or 6 games which is pretty strong for a 4th line player. from what ive seen beagle is a fine energy player but he doesnt have much impact. my view is that beagle is an extra forward/injury replacement.

i can see replacing bradley if a guy like talbot can be gotten. someone with playoff chops. short of that, i think bradley stays.

txpd is offline  
Old
06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
  #232
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
bradley is a momentum turner. fighting or hitting or making a play he gets his fingers into one out of every 5 or 6 games which is pretty strong for a 4th line player. from what ive seen beagle is a fine energy player but he doesnt have much impact. my view is that beagle is an extra forward/injury replacement.

i can see replacing bradley if a guy like talbot can be gotten. someone with playoff chops. short of that, i think bradley stays.
Admit it, you did that one on purpose.

Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 05:39 PM
  #233
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,382
vCash: 500
So the Blues just signed Czech Roman Polak to a 5 year deal at the same cap hit as Jeff Schultz.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now  
Old
06-02-2011, 05:46 PM
  #234
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So the Blues just signed Czech Roman Polak to a 5 year deal at the same cap hit as Jeff Schultz.
Something tells me if you watched an entire season of Blues' games you'd find just as many holes in his game as you have in Schultz's...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 05:49 PM
  #235
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Something tells me if you watched an entire season of Blues' games you'd find just as many holes in his game as you have in Schultz's...
Are you saying it would take an entire season of watching Polak's games just to be able to criticize him at the same level of watching one game for Sarge??? A little hyperbole you think!








HSHS is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 05:52 PM
  #236
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Something tells me if you watched an entire season of Blues' games you'd find just as many holes in his game as you have in Schultz's...
Every time I've seen Polak played he's impressed me. And the guy can actually skate (and hit).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now  
Old
06-02-2011, 05:57 PM
  #237
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Are you saying it would take an entire season of watching Polak's games just to be able to criticize him at the same level of watching one game for Sarge??? A little hyperbole you think!







I'm saying when you watch all of one team's games but every other team in the league say 10 times each, and that makes you a pretty huge hockey fan IMO, you are going to notice a lot more warts on the team you watch all the time. Familiarity breeds contempt, that's just the way it is...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 05:59 PM
  #238
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,108
vCash: 500
Polak's deal includes two more UFA seasons than Schultz's.

Langway is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 06:01 PM
  #239
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,911
vCash: 500
i am curious. who involved from this team do we actually like? from Leonsis down. Patrick, FcPhee, Fishman, MacLellan, Mahoney. Coaching staff, players top to bottom.

Who are we actually happy with? Seems to me that Carlson is about the only one.

txpd is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 06:03 PM
  #240
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Every time I've seen Polak played he's impressed me. And the guy can actually skate (and hit).
I'm sure but you need to watch every game he plays to run the rule over him the same way you do Schultz and I guarantee if you do that you are going to notice a lot more holes in his game.

And weren't you in love with Ballard also?

Millhaus is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 06:06 PM
  #241
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am curious. who involved from this team do we actually like? from Leonsis down. Patrick, FcPhee, Fishman, MacLellan, Mahoney. Coaching staff, players top to bottom.

Who are we actually happy with? Seems to me that Carlson is about the only one.
Who should we be happy with?

Capitlols is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
  #242
Robert Theodorson
Registered User
 
Robert Theodorson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Every time I've seen Polak played he's impressed me. And the guy can actually skate (and hit).
We should go to the Blues' board to ask them what it's like to have that in a bottom pairing D man.

Robert Theodorson is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 06:32 PM
  #243
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Who should we be happy with?
I dont know. I thought we liked Alzner, but he's not physical enough. Better than Schultz, but not a playoff player. Green and Schultz is obvious. Erskine is marginal.
I suppose we have been generally happy with Wideman.

I am pretty sure that the displeasure with Ovechkin doesnt rank up there with move him, but both he and Backstrom would be solidly there with a slow start next season. Semin....nuff said. Johansson is neither a big 2c or a strong 3c. Half want Laich to walk and the rest of the bottom 6 are mostly on the outs including Hendricks after his playoffs.

Would there be deep unhappiness if Leonsis decided to clean house and blow it up?

txpd is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 06:40 PM
  #244
fsnoles98
Registered User
 
fsnoles98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I dont know. I thought we liked Alzner, but he's not physical enough. Better than Schultz, but not a playoff player. Green and Schultz is obvious. Erskine is marginal.
I suppose we have been generally happy with Wideman.

I am pretty sure that the displeasure with Ovechkin doesnt rank up there with move him, but both he and Backstrom would be solidly there with a slow start next season. Semin....nuff said. Johansson is neither a big 2c or a strong 3c. Half want Laich to walk and the rest of the bottom 6 are mostly on the outs including Hendricks after his playoffs.

Would there be deep unhappiness if Leonsis decided to clean house and blow it up?
Nope, not at all. If he blew it up, it would be like the Caps of old, just maybe a few more playoffs wins with less talent, lol.

fsnoles98 is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 07:11 PM
  #245
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'm sure but you need to watch every game he plays to run the rule over him the same way you do Schultz and I guarantee if you do that you are going to notice a lot more holes in his game.

And weren't you in love with Ballard also?
Look at his signing thread on the main board. Compare the reactions of Blues fans to that of Caps fans when Schultz was extended. He's a significantly better player. Not without flaws, but much better than Schultz.

And yes, I loved Ballard as a player, and still do. I'd love to have him on this team (depending on the health of his leg, of course).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now  
Old
06-02-2011, 07:13 PM
  #246
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'm saying when you watch all of one team's games but every other team in the league say 10 times each, and that makes you a pretty huge hockey fan IMO, you are going to notice a lot more warts on the team you watch all the time. Familiarity breeds contempt, that's just the way it is...
I was a joke.

HSHS is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 09:40 PM
  #247
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,857
vCash: 500
Sorry I hate doing hypotheticals, but if Richards was willing to sign here for say 5 years at $7mil per. Would anyone be opposed to it? Of course it would likely mean Semin must be traded.

Capitlols is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 09:56 PM
  #248
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Sorry I hate doing hypotheticals, but if Richards was willing to sign here for say 5 years at $7mil per. Would anyone be opposed to it? Of course it would likely mean Semin must be traded.
5 years way too long. Semin should be traded regardless but management is so limp-dick I'm not expecting any core moves until Ted starts seeing empty buildings.

EroCaps is offline  
Old
06-02-2011, 10:14 PM
  #249
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Sorry I hate doing hypotheticals, but if Richards was willing to sign here for say 5 years at $7mil per. Would anyone be opposed to it? Of course it would likely mean Semin must be traded.
Wouldn't make much sense long term. The real question we have to ask is weather Sasha and Evgeny will be on the same team one day. However I highly doubt they would go after another top producing skill guy from the outside like Richards. It's all about filling in spots these days on the bottom two lines as well as possibly getting an affordable upgrade on defense.

If anything the next big offensive guy that will be replaced is Knubble. In which case they would probably look for another guy like Knubble.


Last edited by Dirtbag59: 06-02-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old
06-03-2011, 12:18 AM
  #250
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Sorry I hate doing hypotheticals, but if Richards was willing to sign here for say 5 years at $7mil per. Would anyone be opposed to it? Of course it would likely mean Semin must be traded.
well...boudreau is still the coach and mcphee still the gm. so, whats the point?

txpd is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.