HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Bananas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Gotta say if this rumor has any legs, how far off perceived of team needs are all of us here vs. what it would mean George/Bruce felt the team needs are? Goalie?!!? Really....has anyone been clamoring for a vet #1 goalie with the 3 guys we have?
If you knew anything about hockey you'd be in the game.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
What's sad is that the self proclaimed zen-master, grand poobah, ultimate guru known as George McPhee knows just about as much if not less than some better informed outsiders.

13 years of failure don't lie

Old
06-08-2011, 12:31 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Piggybacking off the Mjo discussion, he's not my favorite kind of center by a longshot, but Versteeg makes a lot of sense. An offensive center who would give Mjo some breathing room to grow into himself. And Philly has to deal.

Shouldn't take more than the first founder.
I would take Versteeg in a heartbeat.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:32 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
I heard some ahole make this quote once....can't remember where...

Old
06-08-2011, 02:19 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Versteg is a meh to me at that cash.

I don't think the true point behind bcf's post is you need to make a splash in the year you win a cup, but it's next to impossible to win a cup on home grown talent and spares from outside.

Knubes, Feds, arnott. That's great stuff. But i think they need a wideman like addition in the top six from the outside. Like atl got in Ladd.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:21 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Piggybacking off the Mjo discussion, he's not my favorite kind of center by a longshot, but Versteeg makes a lot of sense. An offensive center who would give Mjo some breathing room to grow into himself. And Philly has to deal.

Shouldn't take more than the first founder.
Versteeg is a winger, not a center.
He also has a $3M contract, so it would be a pretty large contract if we wanted him in the bottom 6. He only really makes sense if we don't resign Laich, and even then I'm not convinced he's the best option.

If we're trading with the Flyers, I'd rather gun for one of their defensemen (preferably Coburn, but Carle could work at the right price). Hartnell is also somewhat intriguing, as he'd bring a fair bit of snarl. Two more years at $4.2M with a NTC kinda ruins him, though.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:25 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'd take hartnell on this team in a heartbeat.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:07 AM
txpd

hartnell has a questionable contract or am i wrong?

Old
06-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

If Laich is looking for around $4M (which is a lot more than I think he's worth), I'd probably prefer Hartnell at $4.2M as long as it didn't cost a whole lot to acquire him.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

As for adding that "missing piece" to the defense, it might be easier in 2012 (or 2011 TDL as a rental/extension) than this off-season. There's going to be plenty of competition of the handful of available Top 4 guys this year, but as of right now the 2012 market looks stronger. Obviously there's a year to resign guys (and CBA issues potentially), but there are some good names on the 2012 UFA defenseman market.

Suter
Tyutin
Kronwall
Stuart
Liles
Beauchemin
Coburn
Carle
Gleason
Sloan

I expect several of those guys to be resigned this year, but some will make it to UFA. If we could land a Tyutin, Coburn, Kronwall, or Gleason I'd be thrilled. And obviously Suter would be incredible.

Old
06-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post

Suter -> hard to argue and even harder to acquire
Tyutin -> no PO experience
Kronwall -> doubtful after Rafalski and Lidstrom retire
Stuart -> the same
Liles -> Green-light? do we really need him?
Beauchemin -> that's interesting maybe
Coburn -> the product of Pronger/Timonen
Carle -> the same
Gleason -> how could Carolina lose its best dman?
Sloan -> maybe we should sign him for cheap =))))))))

If we could land a Tyutin, Coburn, Kronwall, or Gleason I'd be thrilled. And obviously Suter would be incredible.
I find it hard to get most of those guys. Those who are easier to get have question marks.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:01 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

The depth of "next year's D" is always better. It seems like every offseason we go through that discussion.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:47 AM
dashtary*

Just a rumor, but Phoenix is looking at our goalies and Tikhonov (or most likely something around him) for one of them. I'm guessing that Neuvy & Holtby would be off the table, no?

Old
06-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Just a rumor, but Phoenix is looking at our goalies and Tikhonov (or most likely something around him) for one of them. I'm guessing that Neuvy & Holtby would be off the table, no?
Where did you get this from?

I have no doubt the Coyotes will speak to Washington about trading for one of our netminders. They are a team that is perfect for a young, NHL ready netminder as they need a goaltedner now and don't have much to spend.

Not sure about Tikhonov though.

Old
06-08-2011, 03:24 PM
dashtary*

You can just call it speculation for now, I've gotta source for the information but not everyone really knows him. And also, for Varly could we get a Gormley or is that not likely?

Old
06-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
You can just call it speculation for now, I've gotta source for the information but not everyone really knows him. And also, for Varly could we get a Gormley or is that not likely?
Young fairly unproven goaltenders rarely return much. I would say they could get something in the neighborhood of a 2nd round pick in value back for him, which means I wouldn't deal him.

Old
06-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
#1 and UFA to be Vernon Fiddler

not less!!

PS: keep Varly, send them Neuvy ofc. the latter has very nice contract and some good stats (+2 AHL champs).

Old
06-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
If the Caps were to trade Varly/Neuvy I would expect them to get something similar to what the Habs got for Jaroslav Halak...Or slightly less.

Old
06-08-2011, 08:25 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
If Laich is looking for around $4M (which is a lot more than I think he's worth), I'd probably prefer Hartnell at $4.2M as long as it didn't cost a whole lot to acquire him.
Laich is essentially Hartnell without a mean streak. 4m is def. overpayment. I agree.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Rangers plan to buy-out Chris Drury

Quote:
Glen Sather left Wednesday's general managers meeting without addressing the media, but the Daily News has learned the Rangers boss plans to buy out the final season of captain Chris Drury's five-year, $35.25 million contract.
Anybody think he would be an effective 3rd line center? His production has dropped off and he's suffered multiple injuries but he's great on the PK and is one of the better leaders in the NHL.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Drury's much like Boyd Gordon at this point, albeit still with more clutch. I'd take a chance on him on the cheap as depth but figure he might look to head back to Colorado or Buffalo.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:02 AM
txpd

3rd line center? No. The guy is BGordon with leadership skills, grit and experience. If the Rangers buy out Drury and he would sign a one year deal under $1.5m, i'd have him in a....umm....New York Minute.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
If the Caps were to trade Varly/Neuvy I would expect them to get something similar to what the Habs got for Jaroslav Halak...Or slightly less.
I think they would get less considering Halak just came off a dominant playoff performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Rangers plan to buy-out Chris Drury

Anybody think he would be an effective 3rd line center? His production has dropped off and he's suffered multiple injuries but he's great on the PK and is one of the better leaders in the NHL.
If he is heathy he is perfect. But that is a big IF.

Yes the guy played only 24 games last year so that is a concern, but he has been fairly durable his entire career up until that point (averaged 79 per year not including last year).

Other than the injury concern I think he is perfect. Vet player who has won cups. Can play as a 3rd line center and can also play on the wing as well. Which I think is exactly what the Caps need.

That knee scares me though.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Drury's much like Boyd Gordon at this point, albeit still with more clutch.
We've seen first hand Drury's last 2 trips to the playoffs and I would find it very difficult to describe those performances as 'clutch.'

He used to be clutch though but now he is an almost empty shell of his former self and IMO rolling the dice on him at almost any price would be just a waste.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:06 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'd give Drury a camp tryout, at least.

With the money the Rangers will be paying him, he could very well be a league-minimum guy.

Definitely worth a flyer as a bottom-6 center with leadership skills and playoff experience. Battled injuries last season, but the season before, he put up a 14-18-32 line. That's very respectable for a 3rd line center, and (sadly) would have been second-highest among centers on the Caps this past season.

Closed Thread