HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2011, 10:43 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
I'll get flamed by bridge trolls, but I'd take Jagr on a "redemption" tour bargain contract. I don't hold grudges. If you've been paying attention the last few years he's shown signs of maturation and is a noted big game performer.

Enjoy.

Last edited by EroCaps: 06-17-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old
06-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Shane Doan is the most overrated hockey player in the history of the NHL. I would rather pay Semin $12M per year than pay him $4.5.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:28 PM
chrjosric

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Shane Doan is the most overrated hockey player in the history of the NHL. I would rather pay Semin $12M per year than pay him $4.5.
i still think he would be a good fit/ part of what this team needs and also one year at 4.5 is not that bad.. more then one term and i wouldnt touch him though

Old
06-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post

Old
06-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Heh, I may have overstated. I really, really hate the hype about Shane Doan. He is overrated, and not worth $4.5M, but, yeah, hyperbole.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:50 AM
chrjosric

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrjosric View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Shane Doan ($4.550m)
Ville Leino ($2.800m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Mike Knuble ($2.000m)
Jason Chimera ($1.875m) / Martin Hanzal ($1.800m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($1.400m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Cody Eakin /($0.637m) / Chad Larose ($1.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
John Carlson ($0.845m) / Karl Alzner ($2.675m)
Mike Green ($5.250m) / Scott Hannan ($3.250m)
Dennis Wideman ($3.937m) / Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Braden Holtby ($0.637m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,722,350; BONUSES: $160,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,677,649

Out:
Semin
Bradley
Gordon
Varlomov
Fehr
Laich
Poti
Shultz
Sloan

In:
Doan
Leino
Hanzal
Clutterbuck
Larose
Eakin
Kaberle

I know this will probably never happen but if i was GMGM my thinking here would be to get as much for the players who i believe should be traded. While adding players that would seem to be what we lacked in the playoff and are signed to good contracts.

might be completely off but..

Semin for Clutterbuck.
Fehr Varlomov Perreault for Doan and Hanzal.
trade rights to Laich for prospects/ picks.
trade/get rid of for any value if possible Poti and Shultz.
Sign Leino Larose and Kaberle. + possibly a few other
(Kaberle will bring a left handed offensive d + pp to complement green. Also it would provide insurance if green doesnt prove himself next season and you could get value out of one of them.)
Does anyone have an idea of how much it would take to get Hanzal? And Clutterbuck would be nice to replace Fehr with somehow, and plus hes signed for 2 more years .8 less then Fehr. Upshall would also good fit with them but he could command over 3mil/4yrs i assume.

Old
06-17-2011, 01:38 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Shane Doan was f'ing godly in the 2010 playoffs.

If you don't think he's worth $4.5 million, you're gonna have an aneurysm watching Laich make that playing for us for the next 4 years.

Old
06-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Shane Doan was f'ing godly in the 2010 playoffs.

If you don't think he's worth $4.5 million, you're gonna have an aneurysm watching Laich make that playing for us for the next 4 years.

If Laich makes 4.5 million per in DC I'm buying a Stamkos jersey.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:48 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
If Laich makes 4.5 million per in DC I'm buying a Stamkos jersey.
Those blue jersey's do look pretty sharp.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Dirtbag59

I just want the team to continue on a path where they can keep the young guys like Carlson, Alzner, Nuevy and eventually Eakin, Kuzy, Orlov, Holtby, etc. After seeing Vancouver loose Game 7 on what seems to be a suicide run (cap wise) it's hard to imagine wanting the Caps to follow suit by signing a bunch of mid priced Free Agents to 3 and 4 year contracts.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Vabeachblue

As much I like laich I dont think he will be worth the money, let him, brads, boyd, and sturm walk. Sign another center(handzus) see if eakin can play but dont force him this team doesnt need to get younger. Retool the bottom lines. idk trade a goalie for something?

Old
06-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

How would you describe goalie market now and next season? Is that a great risk to trade Neuvirth if there will be good suitor (with surprisingly nice offer)?

I mean if we are trading Neuvy we are keeping 2 of the better goalies (speculation: with higher potential) but all we have in playoff then if only those 2.

I think this PO showed that teams do not use 2nd goalie at all (mostly). So this gamble is ok. Also at the trade deadline we can get another backup if required.

Next offseason we can sign Chris Mason or Mary Biron or somebody of that ilk (maybe). So how much of a risk it is?

Old
06-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Another good piece of proof McPhee is an idiot.

1) Make sure he doesn't adapt himself to the North American game
This was Kuznetsov's decision not McPhee's. He can't force him to come over if he doesn't want to. McPhee was on record earlier in the year saying he was hoping to convince Kuznetsov to come over the North America for next season. Everything that had come out of the Kuznetsov camp up to that point said he wasn't very likely to succeed though.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Vabeachblue

I love all the talent we have at the goalie position and would like to keep all three but sometimes you have to take a risk. Idk what we could get in return for a goalie or which one to trade but that why I am not a gm and this probably wont happen anyway.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gr8 Eight View Post
I love all the talent we have at the goalie position and would like to keep all three but sometimes you have to take a risk. Idk what we could get in return for a goalie or which one to trade but that why I am not a gm and this probably wont happen anyway.
you can't get squat for a young goalie on the trade market these days. Young goalies are a dime a dozen.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:15 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

If the Caps move a goalie, it'll be Varlamov, and only if he wants more money than they can afford. Neuvirth and Holtby's contracts are too valuable with the Caps that close to the cap.

What they'll get back is some cheap bottom-6 forward, prospects, and/or picks... I think the only scenario in which the Caps pull the trigger is if Varly asks for 2M+ and they can get a Bergenheim-ish type player on a cheap contract, plus a close-to-ready mid-level prospect and maybe a late-round pick.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Govechkin

I don't think the Caps need to sign a goalie. Even if Varly leaves (and we did just sign Sabourin to a 2-way deal) we still have 2 serviceable goalies who have shown they can not only win, but steal, games at the NHL level. Why spend moe money on a position that is not costing you wins? Neuvy, when he is on, can steal games with his rebound control and Holtby has the puck-handling skills and mental edge to make a good-great NHL goalie. Better to use all that extra money and spend it on D.

We need to ship out Poti (who may never play like he once did) and Shultz (who shows no signs of playing to his size). In return, we need someone who can clear the crease and dole out counter-hits, someone who won't get beat up in the corner, and preferably someone who can protect and cover for Greenie.

Wideman Hannan Green Erskine Alzner Carlson plus 2 more D. Should have the cap space, and all of a sudden you are looking at a deep and hopefully playoff-caliber defense.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:11 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govechkin View Post
I don't think the Caps need to sign a goalie. Even if Varly leaves (and we did just sign Sabourin to a 2-way deal) we still have 2 serviceable goalies who have shown they can not only win, but steal, games at the NHL level. Why spend moe money on a position that is not costing you wins? Neuvy, when he is on, can steal games with his rebound control and Holtby has the puck-handling skills and mental edge to make a good-great NHL goalie. Better to use all that extra money and spend it on D.
I agree that the Caps don't need to spend on a goalie, but I think the Caps already have enough money tied up in D. They could stand to rearrange some of it (see below), but I don't know if more money needs to be dumped there.

Quote:
We need to ship out Poti (who may never play like he once did) and Shultz (who shows no signs of playing to his size). In return, we need someone who can clear the crease and dole out counter-hits, someone who won't get beat up in the corner, and preferably someone who can protect and cover for Greenie.
I don't know if the Caps can find somewhere to ship Poti out to. Personally, I'd see how he skates, and if he's not playing to form, LTIR him once the season starts. As for Schultz, he's too slow to play against a scoring line and too passive to play against a checking line. He will never get faster, but aggressiveness can be taught. I think the best thing for him would be to pair with another defensively responsible, positionally sound defenseman. I would imagine that playing on a pair with Green in his "look-at-me-I'm-the-fourth-forward" days didn't do much to give Schultz the idea that he could take a chance on getting out of position to make a play. I know that when I'm paired with a defenseman who likes to jump up in the play, it's always at the front of my mind that I have to be that much more responsible and positional. Of course clearing the crease is a must for any NHL defenseman, offensive or otherwise, and the coach has to impart that to his D.

Quote:
Wideman Hannan Green Erskine Alzner Carlson plus 2 more D. Should have the cap space, and all of a sudden you are looking at a deep and hopefully playoff-caliber defense.
I don't think Hannan will be back, unless he takes a pay cut. He's just too expensive, even though I think he's worth his price. With Alzner and Carlson projected to do the heavy lifting next year, the Caps can afford to take a slight downgrade in the other four. They may even be able to get an older defenseman who's still solid on the cheap (Jovanovski anyone?).

Old
06-17-2011, 10:31 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
What does the Sabourin signing mean for the goaltending situation. Clearly someone has to move now. Even though Sabourin is on a 2-way, there is no way they signed him to be the backup in Hershey.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:33 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
What does the Sabourin signing mean for the goaltending situation. Clearly someone has to move now. Even though Sabourin is on a 2-way, there is no way they signed him to be the backup in Hershey.
That's exactly why they signed him, IMO.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:37 AM
malkinfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
If the Caps move a goalie, it'll be Varlamov, and only if he wants more money than they can afford. Neuvirth and Holtby's contracts are too valuable with the Caps that close to the cap.
Don't be so sure about that. Either way you cut it, Neuvirth didn't steal any games for them in the playoffs. Not blaming him for the teams performance, but there were some soft goals, and I think management is going to think long and hard about if they want this guy to be the future long term starter. Its not only about contracts. Varly has been better in the playoffs. If they keep Varly they still have good insurance in Holtby if Varly breaks down again.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:38 AM
malkinfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I'll get flamed by bridge trolls, but I'd take Jagr on a "redemption" tour bargain contract. I don't hold grudges. If you've been paying attention the last few years he's shown signs of maturation and is a noted big game performer.

Enjoy.
I like that.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:41 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Don't be so sure about that. Either way you cut it, Neuvirth didn't steal any games for them in the playoffs. Not blaming him for the teams performance, but there were some soft goals, and I think management is going to think long and hard about if they want this guy to be the future long term starter. Its not only about contracts. Varly has been better in the playoffs. If they keep Varly they still have good insurance in Holtby if Varly breaks down again.
Not saying anything about the quality of the goaltending - more that the Caps can't afford anyone who's more expensive than they are. They don't even have the cap room to sign the guys they have.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:54 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

OK, this is my first try at one of these. Here goes. Please advise if I'm way off on any of these numbers. I stuck Alzner and Varlamov with 2M each, and I don't think Jovanovski will get anywhere near his current 6.5M... but I could be wrong. Eakin could probably sneak in there at $637,778 cap hit but I'm not sure where. No trades, and Jovanovski would really be the only "splash".

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Mike Knuble ($2.000m)
Alexander Semin ($6.700m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Jason Chimera ($1.875m)
Eric Fehr ($2.200m) / Jason Arnott ($4.000m) or Brooks Laich ($4.000M) / Mattias Sjogren ($0.900m)
Jay Beagle ($0.512m) / Boyd Gordon ($0.800m) / Matt Hendricks ($0.825m)
Sean Bergenheim or equivalent ($0.700m) / / Zenon Konopka or equivalent ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Karl Alzner ($2.000m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
Mike Green ($5.250m) / Ed Jovanovski ($4.500m)
Jeff Schultz ($2.750m) / Dennis Wideman ($3.937m)
John Erskine ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Semyon Varlamov ($2.000m)

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,184,295; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $15,705

If Varlamov stays on a two-way contract they can mitigate some of his cap hit by sending him to Hershey when he's not starting and bringing up Holtby.

Thoughts?

Old
06-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Mr Lahey*

One of my friends is a diehard caps fan and asked me to put together a team using the capgeek calculator...I was pretty lost but here's what I came up with:

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Cory Stillman ($3.533m)
Mike Knuble ($2.000m) / Tim Connolly ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.850m)
Jason Chimera ($1.875m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Chuck Kobasew ($2.333m)
Raffi Torres ($1.000m) / Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / D.J. King ($0.637m)

DEFENSEMEN
Mike Green ($5.250m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.000m)
Dennis Wideman ($3.937m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
Tom Poti ($2.875m) / Jeff Schultz ($2.750m)
Tyler Sloan ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,450,961; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $949,039

What do you guys think? I originally had Markov in there, but he's going to be expensive.

PS you can be brutally honest, I want to pass on to him what you guys think too

oh yes, in a NHL 2011 moment of inspiration, I decided Semin gets traded for Bernier and Simmonds.

Closed Thread