HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

vCash: 500
On another theme. Could Eakin become our Marchand in a couple of years? Didn't see much of him.

Old
06-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Harvey Specter
Lord Stanley and I.

I don't see Laich signing anywhere for <$4M. And I believe it's the Wild or retirment for Madden from what I read.

Not a bad lineup but--in terms of something that has a chance of happening--I'd like to see an outsider brought in to replace Erskine/Schultz on the blue line.

Old
06-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
Scott Hannan probably wants to sign a long term contract for a good amount of dollars (you guys taught me too long with this logic).

George McPhee needs some flexibility with the cap space for the future especially if he doesn't want to dump finesse expensive forwards (Semin, Laich).
Agreed on Hannan. He's most likely looking for a long term contract especially seeing as how he has an infant son. When I saw the footage of him looking for a house near DC the kid looked like he was less then a year old. Usually money becomes more of a focus when a new kid enters the picture and if I'm not mistaken it might be his first one.

Quote:
Tom Poti and Jeff Schultz are the obstacles McPhee needs to remove to sign Hannan (speculation).
I'm starting to get a feeling about Sarge making a change to his game this offseason. Last year he was +50 or something like that so he may have thought he was fine, this year he was in and out of the lineup when healthy so It'll be interesting to see if he changes his game to be a little more physical. Certainly started to see some of that style emerge in the playoffs.

Then again this is all speculation on my part.

Quote:
Jason Arnott probably not gonna ask for more than 2 years and that's a reach. He is old and slow and 1 year will be enough for him if McPhee will want to sign him. Arnott could be like placeholder and limitator for Johansson and vocal leader (assumption).
I would love to have him as a third line Center. However I just don't know if the numbers will work out. As mentioned before the cap is going up so a short term deal that lets us focus on Nuevy and Carlson next year will certainly be enticing to GMGM. What Arnott wants though is beyond me. To many factors for me to get a read on Arnott.

Quote:
Wideman is both vet leader and placeholder for Orlov. His budget will be directed to Carlson next summer. So realistically Hannan could be a partner for Green or Orlov in the future (2nd or 3rd pair of defense). And that's there we need another top-4 defender who will be more mobile and devastating than Hannan (speculation).
I made this mistake before but I think Orlov plays the Left side while Wideman plays the right. So at the very least Orlov won't directly replace Wideman and could end up being a partner for him in a limited number of games this year due to injuries or hopefully being to good for Hershey. I do agree though that this could easily be Widemans last year here, unless they decide that they don't have enough money for both Green and Carlson and suddenly Wideman becomes a Mike Green substitute.

Quote:
So why exactly we are assuming that Hannan will be resigned?
GMGM Post trade for Hannan: "Our defense is now complete."

Quote:
PS: I doubt Sjogren will be our big addition this summer. There is enough cap space.
I may have been overzealous when I said that. Especially when predicting two other free agent signings this summer to either bring back Laich and/or Hannan or sign their replacements in the same post.

Old
06-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I made this mistake before but I think Orlov plays the Left side while Wideman plays the right. So at the very least Orlov won't directly replace Wideman and could end up being a partner for him in a limited number of games this year due to injuries or hopefully being to good for Hershey.
Orlov plays right side. But he is lefty. There could be options on the PP still but I think they will use him as cheap 3rd pair RD after Green/Wideman will left.

PS: Neuvirth is signed for 2 more years. There is nothing going on with him next summer other than possible trade.

Old
06-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
Orlov plays right side. But he is lefty. There could be options on the PP still but I think they will use him as cheap 3rd pair RD after Green/Wideman will left.

PS: Neuvirth is signed for 2 more years. There is nothing going on with him next summer other than possible trade.
Totally forgot about Nuevy. For some reason I always think that he came up a year after Varly when I should remember that it was Theo-Varly for the previous 2 years before this one.

Also are you sure Orlov plays the right? In watching this video it looks like he's coming down off the left side.

Then again here it looks like Carlson is playing Left and Orlov is playing right.

So confused

Old
06-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Orlov is playing right.

On the other note I thought that Knuble might consider playing as long as needed to win the SC to retire in the same fashion as Recchi did. In Washington ofc.

Old
06-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Dirtbag59

In looking at it again though I think the reason Orlov plays right is because 3 of the 4 best regulars in Hershey (McNeil, Fahey, Souray, Orlov) are lefties and Orlov maybe viewed as more versatile then Souray so they had him on the right side. Which is nice, if anything he means he can fill in for 6 guys rather then 3.

Edit: All right he plays the right side no matter what. Kind of bums me out to. Way to many guys in DC that play Right

Quote:
Orlov is an energetic puck-rushing defenseman who is adept at controlling the powerplay. He uses his 5'11, 200 lb frame well in his own zone, but still has much to learn about positioning, defensive responsibility, and the North American game. That said, he is a left-handed defenseman playing the right side with a point-per-game average in the second best professional league in North America. He has a bright future ahead of him.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 06-18-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old
06-18-2011, 06:18 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Ov-mojo-kuznetsov
Semin-backstrom-knuble
Laich-eakin-Upshall
Chimera-Gordon-Hendricks

Jovanoski-green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-wideman

Holtby
Neuvy

Dream lineup <3

Old
06-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Ov-mojo-kuznetsov
Semin-backstrom-knuble
Laich-eakin-Upshall
Chimera-Gordon-Hendricks

Jovanoski-green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-wideman

Holtby
Neuvy

Dream lineup <3
Why does Sjogren get no love around here? Is it because his name is hard to spell?

Old
06-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Quote:
Why does Sjogren get no love around here? Is it because his name is hard to spell?
B/c he's a unknown? Hasn't done squat in NA? Is another young inexperienced player?

Nevertheless it seems all part of the plan.

Old
06-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Nevertheless it seems all part of the plan.
Why does McPhee get no love around here?!

Old
06-18-2011, 08:59 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Because I forgot about him

Old
06-18-2011, 10:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Caps have no interest in Jagr....agents being agents to drum up imaginary competitors.

Old
06-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
He's well worth it at that price. It's just too bad he doesn't play C.
Actually, there were a handful of times he lined up at C, even while playing with Briere. It didn't happen often, but it happened. He's much better suited for the wing, though.

Old
06-19-2011, 09:45 AM
SkinsFan09

So ignoring McPhee's incompetence, who are the most realistic free agents we will go after. Leino will probably be out of our range, sigh.

Old
06-19-2011, 09:48 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Incompetence, riiiight.

Old
06-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Ov-mojo-kuznetsov
Semin-backstrom-knuble
Laich-eakin-Upshall
Chimera-Gordon-Hendricks

Jovanoski-green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-wideman

Holtby
Neuvy

Dream lineup <3
Why would you need Green with Orlov, Wideman, Carlson, and Jovo there? I'd rather put Hannan in his spot, then flip Wideman and Hannan on their respective lines.

Kuz could play in the AHL and what you get for Green could easily be a 1st line winger like Ales Hemsky and more.

Old
06-19-2011, 12:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

RE:Arnott

I liked the attitude and leadership he brought, but I didn't see much left in the tank from him. I think signing him is at best a move like signing Brendan Morrison. He'll put up some points, miss a decent amount of games, provide some leadership and likely be gone in a year or 2.

Pretty much all of Arnott's important stats are trending downward and have been for the last 3 years.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 06-19-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old
06-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
RE:Arnott

I liked the attitude and leadership he brought, but I didn't see much left in the tank from him. I think signing him is at best a move like signing Brendan Morrison. He'll put up some points, miss a decent amount of games, provide some leadership and likely be gone in a year or 2.
Morrison was the best second line center we've had in awhile

For the first half of the season, he fizzled in epic style down the stretch like I've never seen before. The same could happen to Arnott

Old
06-19-2011, 12:39 PM
txpd

i thought arnott played pretty well til he had the knee surgery during that long march road trip. my guess is had the playoff games been regular season he would have not been playing yet

Old
06-19-2011, 12:49 PM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Incompetence, riiiight.
13 years - no Conference Finals appearances. End of story. Depending on how much credit you give him for the 97-98 season.

Old
06-19-2011, 02:46 PM
DCRedhawk21

What are your thoughts on bringing in Jan Hejda to play with Green on the 2nd D pairing if Hannan can't be resigned, or wants too much money/term. He's 33, LH and is a reliable SAH D-guy who doesn't get a lot of attention in Columbus. His current cap hit is 2 million and I can't see him making a lot more in FA with Erhoff, Beiksa, Jovo and some of the other big names out there.

Alzner - Carlson
Hejda - Green
Schultz - Wideman
Erskine

Thoughts?

Old
06-19-2011, 03:51 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
What are your thoughts on bringing in Jan Hejda to play with Green on the 2nd D pairing if Hannan can't be resigned, or wants too much money/term. He's 33, LH and is a reliable SAH D-guy who doesn't get a lot of attention in Columbus. His current cap hit is 2 million and I can't see him making a lot more in FA with Erhoff, Beiksa, Jovo and some of the other big names out there.

Alzner - Carlson
Hejda - Green
Schultz - Wideman
Erskine

Thoughts?
Hejda might make more than Hannan.

The Caps have options and clearly need to make a few tweaks to their roster if they're going with the fallacious belief in Boudreau for another season. (they do anyways).

Keeping the same core and trimming around the edges is a patently ******** idea.

A short list of "value" players I'd gladly sign as UFA to replace a certain someone:

Leino
Vrbata
Gagne
Cole
Brunette (short-term)

Last edited by EroCaps: 06-19-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old
06-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post

Alzner - Carlson
Hejda - Green
Schultz - Wideman
Erskine

Thoughts?
I think people would be just as frustrated with Hejda as they are with Schultz. He moves a little better (but he's not going to blow anyone away with his skating), but he doesn't really hit people (despite being 6'3").

Blue Jackets are also trying to resign him before July 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
A short list of "value" players I'd gladly sign as UFA to replace a certain someone:

Leino
Vrbata
Gagne
Cole
Brunette (short-term)
None of those come close to replacing that "someone." Brunette, especially, wouldn't come close. Remember the whining about Knuble last season? Brunette is the same, but won't score 25+ goals like Knuble did.

Gagne, Leino, and Cole interest me. But as Laich replacements (or even if Laich stays), not Semin replacements. And Leino probably wouldn't be worth his contract.

Old
06-19-2011, 04:33 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I think people would be just as frustrated with Hejda as they are with Schultz. He moves a little better (but he's not going to blow anyone away with his skating), but he doesn't really hit people (despite being 6'3").

Blue Jackets are also trying to resign him before July 1.

None of those come close to replacing that "someone." Brunette, especially, wouldn't come close. Remember the whining about Knuble last season? Brunette is the same, but won't score 25+ goals like Knuble did.

Gagne, Leino, and Cole interest me. But as Laich replacements (or even if Laich stays), not Semin replacements. And Leino probably wouldn't be worth his contract.
I'll take a consistent character player who pushes 50 pts over the league's biggest enigma who puts up 60-70. Easily.

If Nick Backstrom and Ovechkin don't combine for a 70 pt drop-off last season then we wouldn't even be having a discussion on how expendable 20 points is from Semin for the "right kind of player".

Closed Thread