HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2011, 05:39 PM
SkinsFan09

vCash: 500
Yeah what is this Semin overrating nonsense? I'll take 50 points + grit over 70 points, dumb penalties and finesse any day. Besides, come playoff time, Semin certainly doesn't put up significant better numbers than a guy like Leino. Look at Semin's splits. Take away the Southeast division and he's very very average. It's always nice to win the division but it doesn't mean ****. Fine, Semin may result in a few more regular season wins...who cares?

Old
06-19-2011, 05:43 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
Yeah what is this Semin overrating nonsense? I'll take 50 points + grit over 70 points, dumb penalties and finesse any day. Besides, come playoff time, Semin certainly doesn't put up significant better numbers than a guy like Leino. Look at Semin's splits. Take away the Southeast division and he's very very average. It's always nice to win the division but it doesn't mean ****. Fine, Semin may result in a few more regular season wins...who cares?
The Bruins traded their best offensive player for draft picks and didn't skip a beat. Why? He was a perimeter, scoring wing with some bad habits. They still make the playoffs, replace that scoring with the right players the following year and win the Cup.

Old
06-19-2011, 05:53 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
The Bruins traded their best offensive player for draft picks and didn't skip a beat. Why? He was a perimeter, scoring wing with some bad habits. They still make the playoffs, replace that scoring with the right players the following year and win the Cup.

They did, but they also have a lot more scoring depth (Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, Horton, Savard (not anymore sadly), Peverly, Marchand, Ryder).

If there's one thing you notice about the teams that have most recently won the Stanley Cup, it's that in addition to being strong defensively, they were all strong down the middle up front.

The Bruins - Krejci, Bergeron, Peverly, formerly Savard
The Blackhawks - Toews, Sharp (also used a lot as a wing), Bolland, Madden, Kopecky
The Penguins - Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Talbot

The Capitals have Backstrom, second-year Johansson, and Gordon.

Old
06-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
I'll take a consistent character player who pushes 50 pts over the league's biggest enigma who puts up 60-70. Easily.

If Nick Backstrom and Ovechkin don't combine for a 70 pt drop-off last season then we wouldn't even be having a discussion on how expendable 20 points is from Semin for the "right kind of player".
And I'd take a two-way, point per game, 30+ goal scoring player over a consistent character guy. Or, better yet, I'd take that character guy on the other wing or 3rd line.

If Alex Semin didn't have a 12 goal drop-off last season, then we wouldn't be having a discussion on how expendable Semin is.

And even if Ovie and Nicky produced, I still say 2nd line scoring (aka Semin) isn't expendable.

Quote:
Why? Because they couldn't reach a contract with him. He wanted a lot more money than they were willing to pay a 21 year-old with one great season. He also didn't cooperate with their head coach. It seemed very likely they were going to lose him as an RFA anyway, so they traded him for the same compensation they would receive for an RFA offer. Kessel and Semin aren't in the same situation at all.

Old
06-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

What do you guys think about possibility to sign Vernon Fiddler? I think it's worth to sign him for anything around 1,4-1,7 for 2 years.

3rd line center. I like him.

Maybe it's a little bit more $ than he should get but that way McPhee can sign him actually IMO.

Old
06-19-2011, 07:08 PM
fsnoles98

Why? Because they couldn't reach a contract with him. He wanted a lot more money than they were willing to pay a 21 year-old with one great season. He also didn't cooperate with their head coach. It seemed very likely they were going to lose him as an RFA anyway, so they traded him for the same compensation they would receive for an RFA offer. Kessel and Semin aren't in the same situation at all.[/QUOTE]

Okay and we have a prima dona on our hands that thinks he is more then he is worth. Yes, he has won a few games for us and has picked someones pocket of the puck hear and there, but more often then not, he has a non-chalant, lackadaisical attitude on the ice. He plays to the beat of his drum and not the teams. Look how many stupid, idiotic penalties he has taken. If he was that much a part of the nucleus of the Caps, why have that not locked him up long term????? Because GMGM is smart enough to know that with Semin you never know what you are going to get.

Old
06-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
. He plays to the beat of his drum and not the teams.

I agree with everything you said and have been loving your rants lately.

On the above quote, Semin definitely does his own thing, but I'm not sure the team has a drum beat since the Montreal debacle.

I'm not 100% sure but it's very possible that a new coach would make Semin a player we all really love. Green, too. I think the lack of system might MIGHT make it impossible for these guys to be successful. Ovie had what, 28 goals this year? oO

Old
06-19-2011, 08:53 PM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
And I'd take a two-way, point per game, 30+ goal scoring player over a consistent character guy. Or, better yet, I'd take that character guy on the other wing or 3rd line.

If Alex Semin didn't have a 12 goal drop-off last season, then we wouldn't be having a discussion on how expendable Semin is.

And even if Ovie and Nicky produced, I still say 2nd line scoring (aka Semin) isn't expendable.
Get rid of Semin for some bottom 6 depth and combined with an effective defensem he is absolutely expendable. Replace Semin with two 15-20 goal scorers who are gritty two way players that actually get to the net more than twice a series . This team will be much better off for it.

Last edited by SkinsFan09: 06-19-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old
06-19-2011, 09:45 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
13 years - no Conference Finals appearances. End of story. Depending on how much credit you give him for the 97-98 season.
Not even close to end of story Don Waddell = incompetence. Not George McPhee.

And (addressing a different post) Boston didn't trade their best offensive player. They traded their third best offensive player (maybe 4th best, depending on whether you rank Bergeron ahead of him).

Old
06-19-2011, 09:55 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
They did, but they also have a lot more scoring depth (Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, Horton, Savard (not anymore sadly), Peverly, Marchand, Ryder).

If there's one thing you notice about the teams that have most recently won the Stanley Cup, it's that in addition to being strong defensively, they were all strong down the middle up front.

The Bruins - Krejci, Bergeron, Peverly, formerly Savard
The Blackhawks - Toews, Sharp (also used a lot as a wing), Bolland, Madden, Kopecky
The Penguins - Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Talbot

The Capitals have Backstrom, second-year Johansson, and Gordon.
Thank you for making my point.

I've been advocating moving Semin and using the $ primarily on a C and depth for years.

You see, the Bruins "scoring depth" was far less impressive than the Caps until they added Peverley, Recchi, Marchand and Horton and were able to do so because they didn't have 6.7m locked up in 1 selfish player.

The Caps can easily afford 1 vet role player (Arnott?) and a couple of 3-4m players if they move Sasha. If they're even moderately creative and dump Poti and/or Schultz as well they could easily afford Richards + another forward. Hypothetically, of course.

Point is...there are far better ways to spend Semin's $ that are conducive to winning. I said it with Clark and Flash and now Semin for awhile now.

Old
06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Thank you for making my point.

I've been advocating moving Semin and using the $ primarily on a C and depth for years.

You see, the Bruins "scoring depth" was far less impressive than the Caps until they added Peverley, Recchi, Marchand and Horton and were able to do so because they didn't have 6.7m locked up in 1 selfish player.

The Caps can easily afford 1 vet role player (Arnott?) and a couple of 3-4m players if they move Sasha. If they're even moderately creative and dump Poti and/or Schultz as well they could easily afford Richards + another forward. Hypothetically, of course.

Point is...there are far better ways to spend Semin's $ that are conducive to winning. I said it with Clark and Flash and now Semin for awhile now.

I'm not arguing against you, but the value would have to be right to trade Semin. If Laich and Semin walk, that essentially leaves our scoring consisting of Ovi, Backstrom, Knuble who may drop off any time now, and Green if you want to count D-men. No one else on the team has shown a proven ability to score consistently. That makes us a one-line team, which is already enough of a concern. It will be interesting to see how things shake out at the draft and in FA. I am pretty **** confident that Semin won't be traded for cap space.

I agree that loading up the money on the wing and skimping on centers is not a way to build a contender. But it has to be balanced. Pittsburgh ran into the opposite problem earlier this year, and that was with two of the best five players on the planet at 1C and 2C.

Old
06-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Henkka

Detroit would love to have Semin. They would also have use for Wideman.

Trade them to Detroit and sign B.Richards to strengthen the C.

Interested in Filppula or Hudler?

Old
06-19-2011, 11:22 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I didn't prove any point, merely pointed out a blatantly incorrect statement.

I think Semin should be moved in the right deal, but he's a far superior all-around player to Kessel. Kessel is essentially a little faster version of Semin minus the dangling ability or defensive ability.

And Boston couldn't get Kessel signed and stay under the cap. They were forced to trade him and were extremely fortunate that Brian Burke is an imbecile.

Old
06-19-2011, 11:37 PM
dashtary*

Great, GMGM hasn't even talked to Laich or set up a meeting with him. That's straight from his agents' mouth.

Old
06-19-2011, 11:47 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Great, GMGM hasn't even talked to Laich or set up a meeting with him. That's straight from his agents' mouth.
Source?

Old
06-19-2011, 11:58 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

If we trade semin we need guys that can score and are gritty / play solid D. I'd be fine with trading semin if we signed leino, Cole, and a guy like Upshall or kopecky, but I still might be worried about not having an anchor on the second line. Well say we signed the guys above and kept laich we'd have

Ov-backstrom-knuble
Leino-mojo-Cole
Laich-kopecky-fehr
Chimera-eakin-Hendricks

I just don't know if we have enough fire power in that lineup, but if kuznetsov comes over and you still sign leino / Cole and Upshall / kopecky then we'd be fine and look like this

Ov-mojo-leino
Kuz- backstrom-knuble
Laich- eakin- Upshall
Chimera-Gordon- Hendricks

Old
06-20-2011, 12:10 AM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Source?
Can't C&P.
http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...s-laich/39180/

Old
06-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Atlas

Quote:

That's some of the best news I've heard all week.

Old
06-20-2011, 12:34 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Meh. Define 'substantive talks.' I'm sure numbers have been floated. If some reports on Japers' Rink are to be believed Laich is set on going to market and pretty much wants to move on. Can't blame a guy for cashing in on a weak UFA crop.

TSNBobMcKenzie: I'm told the upper limit of the 2011-12 NHL salary cap will be $64 million. The lower limit, or floor, will be $48 million.

Last edited by Langway: 06-20-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old
06-20-2011, 12:34 AM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
What FA do you ideally want to to replace Laich with?

Old
06-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Icetime

Quote:
What FA do you ideally want to to replace Laich with?
A player like Brooks Laich never ever needs to get "replaced" by a horribly underachieving team.

Ever.

He is overvalued and will be a ridiculous waste of money.

Nothing against the guy. Very solid professional hockey player.

Let him walk. All day. Every day.

Last edited by Icetime: 06-20-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old
06-20-2011, 12:49 AM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
A player like Brooks Laich never ever needs to get "replaced" by a horribly underachieving team.

Ever.

He is overvalued and will be a ridiculous waste of money.
You know what I mean. And I agree, at the prices being discussed...sayonara bud.

Who takes that 3rd line spot ideally?

Old
06-20-2011, 01:05 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Agreed. It's encouraging news in terms of McPhee's judgment and attitude too.

Old
06-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Capitlols

Simple question. On the notion that Brooks should take a 'home town' discount, why should he? No one else has.

Old
06-20-2011, 01:28 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

People on here seem to undervalue Laich immensely.

He's not really a $4 million player, but he'll damn sure be missed by this team. Regardless of whether you believe in his intangibles or not, he's easily the most disciplined and honest player systematically on the team. And one of the best PK forwards, to boot.

Closed Thread