HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
I would have liked to see Laich put in more of a shutdown role as a 3C at some point. He was our best defensive forward, won more than 50% of his draws, and could still get his PP minutes/points. And even if he put up fewer points than he did at 2LW, he'd still put up some points and move the puck up ice while mitigating the opponents' strongest scorers. Pity it was never tried, I think it could have worked really well.

Granted, you can get that kind of play (minus the PP time) out of someone much cheaper.

Also, comparing Laich to Klee.

Old
06-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
Sadly, I am of the opinion to trade Semin at the draft, re-sign Laich for 4 mil (if we can) and spend the savings on a legit #2Center... although I wish we could afford to keep both...
What's his name again?

Old
06-20-2011, 10:21 AM
txpd

langway is right on laich. he has not been a center because when he does play center his wingers suffer. that is reversed to a great deal when he plays wing. johansson's two goals in the rangers game 4 as an example. both were quality plays made. making a play from the corner or the sideboards is an area of strenth. moving the puck effectively thru the neutral zone or crossing the blue line is not a strenth.

laich as a center would have to be in a pure dump and chase environment and as a primary defensive role. my read is the caps see a better use of his skills as a digger/retriever/net crasher winger on an offensive line than as a 3rd line center.

further, if mcphee has johansson slotted in as that 3rd line two way center, 90 is far better at moving the puck on the rush than laich.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:18 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
What's his name again?
Slim Shady

Old
06-20-2011, 11:37 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Rather than try to jam the players you happen to have into roles and positions they're not suited for, it would have been nice if someone had tried to, you know, build a team.

Old
06-20-2011, 12:02 PM
txpd

which players are you suggesting are playing outside of their roles?

Old
06-20-2011, 12:11 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
which players are you suggesting are playing outside of their roles?
Schultz, Semin, our nonexistent second line center, and Chimera.

Old
06-20-2011, 12:20 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
What's his name again?
??? What do you mean? you want my opinion on who? it all depends on what the savings is and who is available via FA or trade...

Old
06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Schultz, Semin, our nonexistent second line center, and Chimera.
What do you think their roles are compared to how we use them?

Quote:
??? What do you mean? you want my opinion on who? it all depends on what the savings is and who is available via FA or trade...
Free Agent 2C:
Tim Connolly
Jason Arnott

Available via trade? Doubt any are for a price that would benefit the team.

Quality scoring centers are hard to come by. Everyone who suggests we can just pick up players we need off of trees is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Old
06-20-2011, 12:27 PM

via 7(/\)!!73|2

SlavaMalamud Slava Malamud by bmcnally14

Varlamov confirms #Caps have made an offer months ago. Not good enough, negotiations ongoing. Also, admits interest from KHL. Meanwhile .... Varly's KHL rights are owned by Lokomotiv. Sport-Express has learned that Loko will not (can't afford to) make an offer but another KHL team (rich one) is trying to buy Varly's rights from Loko. They have an offer ready: ~$4/yr, multiple yrs. Loko says they will sell his rights if Varly wants them to (Loko's president and the other team are not on good terms).His comments will be in Sport-Express tonight. In short, says he will take less money to play for the #Caps. Inspired by Thomas' comeback, confident can reclaim starting spot. Hopes the #Caps will offer more than they have so far

I still think he has the higher ceiling amongst the 2 if not 3 goalies. I hope he sticks around as I don't foresee us getting a worthy return.

Last edited by 442: 06-20-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old
06-20-2011, 12:31 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Langway, good points about Laich. Question though, are all or almost all good scoring line centers, decent playmakers first and foremost?

With Semin, I dont think Laich would need to be a playmaker, but it would take a concerted effort aka learn russian for, you need to be the passer Alex.

Maybe thats the problem with Laich. He is not a good enough scorer to be THE scorer of his line. Same being the passer. He is probably best a retriever on a scoring line. But with Semin and any high skill guy, puck on the stick, it isnt getting dumped. And even if it was, Laich doesnt dominate on the boards. Not really a big hitter, I dont remember him generating turnovers on the forecheck. Boards work, like anything with him, is average.

If I played with Semin I would learn to become a playmaker. Fire it as hard as possible near Semin early and often and head to the net, head down.

I think some of his chances at center included Flash at LW. Destined for failure from all the melted butter on the ice. But Flash was a fine passer. There was no shortage of playmaking. He just wasnt strong enough to carry those two finesse guys.

Its probably not a coincidence that the best I have seen Laich in the past few seasons was on the 3rd line vs Pitt in the playoffs. That laichless butter soft second line forced him back up to 2 in no time.

Old
06-20-2011, 12:34 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
What do you think their roles are compared to how we use them?
Semin is a first line left wing.
Schultz is a third pairing dman.
We don't have a second line center.
Chimera is a 4th line left wing.

Old
06-20-2011, 12:45 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
I hate that McPhee didn't get Seidenberg in the first place. Almost same money and the same term as Schultz has. But there is a difference.
i was perusing playoff stats the other day, and saw him racking up the blocked shots, and thought the same thing. Now he is probably making plans to schlep the cup to .de for a proper party. Hopefully Hayden will be there and we get to see some pictures.

Old
06-20-2011, 12:57 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:

Great points. Kind of obvious, but they need to be pointed out at least once a year.

I for one want to see Semin tried in his natural position on a logical line before we trade him for "that gritty 2C with size and scoring" or that "top pairing all situation LD. that hits". Frank and others, we want names now. Semin would probably fetch more like peanuts since everyone seems afraid he will bolt the country. Ovi is a big boy and can play RW for a while. Lets live dangerous and try something different.

Damn we got thin at LW fast. Lose Laich, we got Ovi Chimera King and Hendricks. Doh. I do think that Eric Fehr has played well on his off wing, in his limited chances. Damn good off side one timer I think.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

Quote:
Meh, not sure what would be a good fit or resigning Arnott and letting JA, MJ, MS, and CE, fight for 2-4 Center would be best...

your thoughts?
MS and CE have 0 games in NHL, right?
Arnott is old (injured)
MJ is something average between #2C and #3C

I think Eakin should start in AHL, Sjogren might start at 4th line and if Fehr isn't ready to start the season maybe at 3rd line

Arnott can pry some money from Florida to get them to the cap floor

MJ with Ovie =)

Old
06-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

Trading Semin. Again. Talking about possible return (that concept of "McPhee better trade Semin at the draft day").

If any team would like to offer us high pick in the 1st round for Semin... that could be a young forward or young defenseman.

Defenseman isn't a need because we have more than enough young dmen already, we have Orlov in the AHL and experienced and even skilled dmen could be acquired at trade deadline or in the summer without much problems, right?

OK. Even if we have an opportunity to pick young forward instead of Semin - when he will produce? Will he be better in the Stanley Cup playoffs than Cody Eakin? I mean Eakin-like type could be successful sooner if given the lesser role. And Eakin is certainly older already =)))

Forward of the sniper type (like Stamkos who is elite btw) will take much time to adapt. See example: Stamkos.

And we have one elite prospect winger in the system already.

That was obvious, but that's easier to see with examples than some potential trade for Clowe.

Old
06-20-2011, 04:03 PM
txpd

Quote:
* are you thinking semin is somehow significantly better if ovechkin goes out with a long term injury or is traded and semin gets his spot?
* you've said this for a long time.
* ok...you dont think johansson can be a quality 2c or are you saying his melon is going to get bruised shortly and take him out regardless?
* ok....would you rather keep chimera or hendricks?

Old
06-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* ok....would you rather keep chimera or hendricks?
Thats a tough one. Chimera plays more minutes and does a great job with little things, especially washing out icing calls. Hendricks on the other hand provides a very good physical grinding presence and as a bonus can help win a few shootouts during the season.

If it came own to it though I would take Hendricks. He hits more, scores just as many points, and might be better defensively.

Still theres just a part of me that loves watching Chimera get those pucks on dump ins and potential icings. That can be invaluable during the course of a game.

Old
06-20-2011, 04:50 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Meh, not sure what would be a good fit or resigning Arnott and letting JA, MJ, MS, and CE, fight for 2-4 Center would be best...

your thoughts?
I would hate to see Laich become a strong 2C elsewhere but in the right system and with the right wingers, I think he can do it. He may need two guys just like him as wingers to make it work.

I have a feeling Arnott will break down otherwise I think he is worth a shot on a cheap contract only, If it didnt happen yet, I dont think it will happen.

So Nick and Marcus have to be our scoring line centers. I think they can do it. Marcus is a little green but I liked what I saw.

In terms of the rest of the league, I am clueless in my old age. In my youth, in my youth.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-20-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old
06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Thats a tough one. Chimera plays more minutes and does a great job with little things, especially washing out icing calls. Hendricks on the other hand provides a very good physical grinding presence and as a bonus can help win a few shootouts during the season.

If it came own to it though I would take Hendricks. He hits more, scores just as many points, and might be better defensively.

Still theres just a part of me that loves watching Chimera get those pucks on dump ins and potential icings. That can be invaluable during the course of a game.
Hendricks is a mediocre defensive player (Chimera isn't great either), and he does not score as much. I don't really like Chimera, but I'm just saying. Jason Chimera has scored 30 goals in a season in the NHL. Not that he ever will again.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:06 PM
txpd

really...jason chimera is more than a 4th line winger. he had a pretty good playoffs where hendricks was invisible. i will be interested to see how hendricks looks in the playoffs after being able to leave a little gas in the tank during the regular season.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:08 PM
thomast

There is rumours that Joni Pitkanen wears caps jersey at next season.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
There is rumours that Joni Pitkanen wears caps jersey at next season.
Ha! Of all the things the Caps don't need...

Not that I have anything against Pitkanen, he's a good player, just totally redundant considering current Caps personnel, unless they actually did move 52, which I would also bet again.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Jason Chimera has scored 30 goals in a season in the NHL. Not that he ever will again.
His NHL career high is 17. He's overpaid but he's the better player, particularly in light of Hendricks' disappointing playoff performance.

A two-way minute eater LD isn't really a redundant player, especially with Poti's return in doubt. Pitkanen's not really an ideal fit for Green, though, and short of 52 being traded I'd think that's the top criteria in any quality LD addition.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
His NHL career high is 17. He's overpaid but he's the better player, particularly in light of Hendricks' disappointing playoff performance.
Wow. Yeah, I have no idea what I was thinking of. I was sure he'd had a fluke year like that in Columbus.

Closed Thread