HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2011, 06:50 PM
  #826
Raikkonen
We like our tank
 
Raikkonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 2,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
A two-way minute eater LD isn't really a redundant player, especially with Poti's return in doubt. Pitkanen's not really an ideal fit for Green, though, and short of 52 being traded I'd think that's the top criteria in any quality LD addition.
That leads to Alzner-Green and Pitkanen-Carlson. So obvious. So unreal.

Raikkonen is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 06:54 PM
  #827
Langway
Moderator
Floatvechkin
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
That leads to Alzner-Green and Pitkanen-Carlson. So obvious. So unreal.
That I could see, although there's no shutdown pair between the two.

Langway is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:25 PM
  #828
Raikkonen
We like our tank
 
Raikkonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 2,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
That I could see, although there's no shutdown pair between the two.
Too many puck movers anyway.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

At least we will see more goals both ways. Should see.

Raikkonen is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:33 PM
  #829
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* are you thinking semin is somehow significantly better if ovechkin goes out with a long term injury or is traded and semin gets his spot?
* you've said this for a long time.
* ok...you dont think johansson can be a quality 2c or are you saying his melon is going to get bruised shortly and take him out regardless?
* ok....would you rather keep chimera or hendricks?
1. No, I'm saying Semin is a top line left winger playing out of position.
2. Correct.
3. Johansson is not a quality 2C right now. What I think about his future is irrelevant.
4. Barring a trade, ideally Chimera is the 4th line LW and Hendricks is the 13th F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
really...jason chimera is more than a 4th line winger. he had a pretty good playoffs where hendricks was invisible. i will be interested to see how hendricks looks in the playoffs after being able to leave a little gas in the tank during the regular season.
How on earth is Chimera more than a 4th line winger? He is mediocre to poor defensively and he chipped in a grand total of 26 points last year.

Hell, Hendricks who is clearly a 4th liner or worse had just a point less (tied in terms of ESP and way better in terms of points/TOI). And his defense/intangibles aren't that much worse than Chimera.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now  
Old
06-20-2011, 08:13 PM
  #830
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 23,862
vCash: 50
If our LD's arent going to be anything other than positionally strong, yeah sure lets try a puck mover there. I think its obvious we want someone that can bring offense that can play LD. At least I think its needed. An all situation LD that can hang on the PP or PK or down a goal late. We put maybe the worlds best forward Ovi there

Moving him to defense late in games, I contend opposition goalies welcome that move. Watching him chase down clears kills me. By the time he gets back to center, he is coasting, catching his breath, having passed it. Ovi ES at LD led to what, one goal? maybe two. Him at forward can score one or two easier, I contend. Who can dispute that, really? Put Alzner out there damnit.

Point being, we dont have an LD to play when we need a goal. Our RD and LD's are night and day in style and have been for some time. I used to want Markov. I am sure that aint happening.

RandyHolt is online now  
Old
06-20-2011, 09:15 PM
  #831
DCRedhawk21
Registered User
 
DCRedhawk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If our LD's arent going to be anything other than positionally strong, yeah sure lets try a puck mover there. I think its obvious we want someone that can bring offense that can play LD. At least I think its needed. An all situation LD that can hang on the PP or PK or down a goal late. We put maybe the worlds best forward Ovi there

Moving him to defense late in games, I contend opposition goalies welcome that move. Watching him chase down clears kills me. By the time he gets back to center, he is coasting, catching his breath, having passed it. Ovi ES at LD led to what, one goal? maybe two. Him at forward can score one or two easier, I contend. Who can dispute that, really? Put Alzner out there damnit.

Point being, we dont have an LD to play when we need a goal. Our RD and LD's are night and day in style and have been for some time. I used to want Markov. I am sure that aint happening.


I liked when they put Laich on the left point... I agree it's kind of mindboggling to see Ovi out there chasing down pucks.. It's also no secret that he's one of the worst defenders on the team and my heart skips a beat any time the PKers get a 1 on 1 with him going the other way... Maybe there's a method to the madness that we just don't see... I dunno...

Also, a top 4 of Alzner - Carlson and Markov - Green would be dirty. IMO, if healthy, Markov is the perfect partner for Green. Can't imagine him leaving Montreal though.

DCRedhawk21 is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 10:24 PM
  #832
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 11,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Wow. Yeah, I have no idea what I was thinking of. I was sure he'd had a fluke year like that in Columbus.
You're probably thinking of Clark, who we traded to Columbus in exchange for Chimera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
That leads to Alzner-Green and Pitkanen-Carlson. So obvious. So unreal.
Hey, finally someone else who isn't opposed to trying Alzner-Green.

Pitkanen-Carlson wouldn't be as good of a shutdown pair as Alzner-Carlson, but I think it could still be effective enough.

Mystlyfe is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 11:15 PM
  #833
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 7,525
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
You're probably thinking of Clark, who we traded to Columbus in exchange for Chimera.
Ha, no. There is someone I'm thinking of but I can't quite figure it out. Dunno why I thought it was Chimera.

Liberati0n is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 11:21 PM
  #834
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke
 
PuckBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Ha, no. There is someone I'm thinking of but I can't quite figure it out. Dunno why I thought it was Chimera.
mike green?

PuckBuddy is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 11:25 PM
  #835
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 7,525
vCash: 50
That's him! Thanks.

Liberati0n is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 11:40 PM
  #836
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Posted at 05:40 PM ET, 06/20/2011
Semyon Varlamov: ‘I would really like to sign a deal in America’
By Slava Malamud
As July 1 nears, the Washington Capitals will be forced to make their decision on goalie Semyon Varlamov. Obviously, unlike with other restricted free agents, Varlamov’s being Russian complicates matters, as the KHL, under no obligation to respect NHL’s RFA rules, is always a threat to snatch home-grown talents back to the Motherland. As it were, today Sport-Express has been able to confirm that Varlamov is indeed a subject of several developments in Russia.

As I have posted earlier on my Twitter account, the current situation is as follows. Varlamov’s former club, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, currently holds his KHL negotiating rights. Lokomotiv, though, is relatively poor, and as sources within the team have told us, it currently has no realistic hope to negotiate with Varlamov. However, there is a team with a lot more financial clout that is very interested in acquiring Semyon’s rights from Lokomotiv. It is, unsurprisingly, SKA St. Petersburg, which is owned by Gazprom Exprot (the world’s largest exporter of natural gas), and whose former president, Alexander Medvedev, is also the president of the KHL.

According to sources within the KHL, SKA may offer Varlamov a multi-year deal worth in the vicinity of $4 million per year. SKA is notorious as the league’s top spender, and it had made waves last year by acquiring former San Jose goalie Evgeni Nabokov, who was subsequently cut from the team in mid-season. SKA is also, for all its lavish ways, a notorious under-achiever, having never won a championship, and this offseason, with a new coaching staff (which includes goalie coach Jussi Parkkila, Varlamov’s personal mentor), the pressure is higher than ever.

Continue reading this post »

Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 11:55 PM
  #837
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,042
vCash: 500
Varlamov would lose IIHF eligibility if he signs in the KHL? Or only if he signs in the KHL while under contract with Washington?

BrooklynCapsFan is online now  
Old
06-21-2011, 12:04 AM
  #838
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke
 
PuckBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
That's him! Thanks.
i'm not sure who is screwing with whom.

this is a rare moment for me. i'm savoring it.

PuckBuddy is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 12:12 AM
  #839
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Posted at 05:40 PM ET, 06/20/2011
Semyon Varlamov: ‘I would really like to sign a deal in America’
By Slava Malamud
As July 1 nears, the Washington Capitals will be forced to make their decision on goalie Semyon Varlamov. Obviously, unlike with other restricted free agents, Varlamov’s being Russian complicates matters, as the KHL, under no obligation to respect NHL’s RFA rules, is always a threat to snatch home-grown talents back to the Motherland. As it were, today Sport-Express has been able to confirm that Varlamov is indeed a subject of several developments in Russia.

As I have posted earlier on my Twitter account, the current situation is as follows. Varlamov’s former club, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, currently holds his KHL negotiating rights. Lokomotiv, though, is relatively poor, and as sources within the team have told us, it currently has no realistic hope to negotiate with Varlamov. However, there is a team with a lot more financial clout that is very interested in acquiring Semyon’s rights from Lokomotiv. It is, unsurprisingly, SKA St. Petersburg, which is owned by Gazprom Exprot (the world’s largest exporter of natural gas), and whose former president, Alexander Medvedev, is also the president of the KHL.

According to sources within the KHL, SKA may offer Varlamov a multi-year deal worth in the vicinity of $4 million per year. SKA is notorious as the league’s top spender, and it had made waves last year by acquiring former San Jose goalie Evgeni Nabokov, who was subsequently cut from the team in mid-season. SKA is also, for all its lavish ways, a notorious under-achiever, having never won a championship, and this offseason, with a new coaching staff (which includes goalie coach Jussi Parkkila, Varlamov’s personal mentor), the pressure is higher than ever.

Continue reading this post »
Word is that Varly is back in Yaroslavl now. I'm starting to wonder if he's not gone.

He doesn't want to be the backup, great. The issue has never been his talent, it's his health. You have to wonder if he takes the less, but guarenteed $$ to stay in North America or if he rolls the dice, takes the larger paycheck in the KHL and risks being cut or renegotiated if he plays poorly or gets injured.

__________________
George McPhee....The Teflon GM. 15 years of failure and counting....

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 12:15 AM
  #840
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
conclusions are becoming increasingly selffullfilling. a character guy walks and it reflects badly on the team. a character guy signs or stays with the team and it reflects badly on the player.
When does it EVER reflect badly on the player who stays with the team that groomed him?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 12:21 AM
  #841
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
How do you grade Laich's chemistry with Semin? Factoring their number of games together, I don't think they mesh well. This has gone on for years. Arnott displayed better chemistry with both of them in just a handful of games. 14 goals as a scoring line winger + playoff intangibles doesnt equate to 4M. I didnt see him up his game in the playoffs, did you?
Let's be honest....who HAS meshed well with Semin really? Nobody that I can remember. He just does his own thing and makes things happen no matter what. Laich conversly has meshed well on the 2nd and 3rd lines and played a decent 1st line from time to time (not to mention and little D). He's the classic utility guy.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 12:40 AM
  #842
dashtary*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,271
vCash: 500
Johansson for sure. Saw it on Day #1. If Semin stays, Mojo/Sasha are locked in together for years.

dashtary* is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 05:03 AM
  #843
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Johansson for sure. Saw it on Day #1. If Semin stays, Mojo/Sasha are locked in together for years.
Mojo has meshed well wherever he's played. Too short of a window to truely judge. I don't remember a ton of Semin from Mojo goals all of the sudden.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:38 AM
  #844
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
When does it EVER reflect badly on the player who stays with the team that groomed him?
* i recently recall comments about knuble. his staying could be evidence that he felt like the caps were where he could win a cup. the response was that all knuble cared about was getting his games in. so...laich leaving proves that character players dont want to be in washington while knuble staying only calls into question knuble's character.

* varly. staying. khl is the boogie man sometimes, but the conditions are horrid with many teams. a khl contract makes an nfl contract look reliable.

txpd is online now  
Old
06-21-2011, 07:04 AM
  #845
Vabeachblue
Registered User
 
Vabeachblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Va
Country: United States
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Sounds like varly is staying, I dont see a reason to let him walk. Hopefully he can stay healthy this season and take that #1 spot. Laich is a "character" guy on the team but if he wants to get a big pay day he should go for it. We can make a moves with the cap space, i really hope we retool out bottom 6 add some nasty to it.

Vabeachblue is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 07:19 AM
  #846
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 23,862
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Let's be honest....who HAS meshed well with Semin really? Nobody that I can remember. He just does his own thing and makes things happen no matter what. Laich conversly has meshed well on the 2nd and 3rd lines and played a decent 1st line from time to time (not to mention and little D). He's the classic utility guy.
I thought Semin showed chemistry with Arnott. Who really just did nothing other than whip pucks over to Semin, and be a big body. But Arnott had even better chemistry with Laich... but then Arnott needed rest. Came back and wasnt the same. So I thought that line across the board had potential meshability. I thought BMo did good with Semin, got burned out or a groin & ended up in the doghouse and got dumped. BMo was here when we dominated pre olympics. He got things done. I am seeing a pattern here, old crafty vets are wise enough to use Semin to his potential. They just break down.

Semin like many NHL players, need complimentary players. He has a sick shot. Get him the puck, take a slapper towards him if necessary. He can catch it, and he can roof it. Blind passes, he cant be a one man show all the time. He gets injured doing that.

I am talking myself into giving Arnott another shot. He will get injured often enough to give Marcus the luxury of some top 6 time to keep him developing.

Younguns like Marcus are just finding their own feet, and cant really make other guys shine just yet. But he has too much speed, vision, passing and shooting ability to be playing with pluggers on 3 for long. He lacks girth, dot work, puck shielding, and old school nhl boardwork, all normal for his age. With beefed up wingers, he can be a scoring line center now IMO.

Maybe a big russian LW will do well with Marcus and Semin. Ruslan Fedetenko perhaps. He hits a LOT more than Laich. Marcus focuses on bringing the puck in with speed and dishing it, staying up high and unleashing one timers, the russians work a two man game down low.


Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-21-2011 at 07:30 AM.
RandyHolt is online now  
Old
06-21-2011, 08:45 AM
  #847
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,061
vCash: 500
semin had chem with arnott as long as arnott could skate a little. the knee surgery really damaged that. semin has also had chemistry with backstrom in playoffs past. this time around backstrom was not on his game and didnt bring much playmaking for semin.
i thought that bMO played well with semin in the past as well.

txpd is online now  
Old
06-21-2011, 08:57 AM
  #848
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 23,862
vCash: 50
I wonder if Arnott was injured when we got him. It didnt look like it, but then I dont remember seeing him blow out his knee one game either. I remember a trip or two to the locker room mid game.

Changing gears, I have a feeling Varly is going to bolt. I suspect he is irked at not getting a chance in the tampa series. If he was close with Irbe, that is all the more likely to make him disgrunted. No matter, he sees the writing on the wall. Bruce likes Neuvy, and he knows most everyone likes Holtby, including most of Canada. One thing that will make him stay is if he believes his groin was the only thing holding him back, and he wants to prove Bruce wrong. One thing that will make him leave, George doesnt have to give him lots of money, he has two other G's ready to go. KHL money is money too. Varly is a stud, I hope his days arent over already because he was overflexible.

If he is here this fall and all 3 are healthy, there is going to be an unhappy camper down in Hershey.

RandyHolt is online now  
Old
06-21-2011, 09:10 AM
  #849
pokerandpucks
Rookie User
 
pokerandpucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: GR area
Country: United States
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
I'm not going through this whole thread to look, so I'll just ask. Is Laich talking about testing the market?

pokerandpucks is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
  #850
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I wonder if Arnott was injured when we got him. It didnt look like it, but then I dont remember seeing him blow out his knee one game either. I remember a trip or two to the locker room mid game..
i dont think so. his game changed. he had the game you mentioned where he left mid game and did not return. knee injuries are often not seen from tv. an injury requiring a scoping wouldnt fall into the blown out catagory either. when the team left on the long march road swing, he stayed behind and had surgery.

laich is not talking about anything. read that as he is not definately leaving. working with mcphee means staying clear of the media. were he definately looking to jump ship the media savy laich might have said something to that regard. wanting to stay or keeping that option viable means silence with the media.

txpd is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.