HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
A two-way minute eater LD isn't really a redundant player, especially with Poti's return in doubt. Pitkanen's not really an ideal fit for Green, though, and short of 52 being traded I'd think that's the top criteria in any quality LD addition.
That leads to Alzner-Green and Pitkanen-Carlson. So obvious. So unreal.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
That I could see, although there's no shutdown pair between the two.

Old
06-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
That I could see, although there's no shutdown pair between the two.
Too many puck movers anyway.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

At least we will see more goals both ways. Should see.

Old
06-20-2011, 07:33 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* are you thinking semin is somehow significantly better if ovechkin goes out with a long term injury or is traded and semin gets his spot?
* you've said this for a long time.
* ok...you dont think johansson can be a quality 2c or are you saying his melon is going to get bruised shortly and take him out regardless?
* ok....would you rather keep chimera or hendricks?
1. No, I'm saying Semin is a top line left winger playing out of position.
2. Correct.
3. Johansson is not a quality 2C right now. What I think about his future is irrelevant.
4. Barring a trade, ideally Chimera is the 4th line LW and Hendricks is the 13th F.

Quote:
really...jason chimera is more than a 4th line winger. he had a pretty good playoffs where hendricks was invisible. i will be interested to see how hendricks looks in the playoffs after being able to leave a little gas in the tank during the regular season.
How on earth is Chimera more than a 4th line winger? He is mediocre to poor defensively and he chipped in a grand total of 26 points last year.

Hell, Hendricks who is clearly a 4th liner or worse had just a point less (tied in terms of ESP and way better in terms of points/TOI). And his defense/intangibles aren't that much worse than Chimera.

Old
06-20-2011, 08:13 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
If our LD's arent going to be anything other than positionally strong, yeah sure lets try a puck mover there. I think its obvious we want someone that can bring offense that can play LD. At least I think its needed. An all situation LD that can hang on the PP or PK or down a goal late. We put maybe the worlds best forward Ovi there

Moving him to defense late in games, I contend opposition goalies welcome that move. Watching him chase down clears kills me. By the time he gets back to center, he is coasting, catching his breath, having passed it. Ovi ES at LD led to what, one goal? maybe two. Him at forward can score one or two easier, I contend. Who can dispute that, really? Put Alzner out there damnit.

Point being, we dont have an LD to play when we need a goal. Our RD and LD's are night and day in style and have been for some time. I used to want Markov. I am sure that aint happening.

Old
06-20-2011, 09:15 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If our LD's arent going to be anything other than positionally strong, yeah sure lets try a puck mover there. I think its obvious we want someone that can bring offense that can play LD. At least I think its needed. An all situation LD that can hang on the PP or PK or down a goal late. We put maybe the worlds best forward Ovi there

Moving him to defense late in games, I contend opposition goalies welcome that move. Watching him chase down clears kills me. By the time he gets back to center, he is coasting, catching his breath, having passed it. Ovi ES at LD led to what, one goal? maybe two. Him at forward can score one or two easier, I contend. Who can dispute that, really? Put Alzner out there damnit.

Point being, we dont have an LD to play when we need a goal. Our RD and LD's are night and day in style and have been for some time. I used to want Markov. I am sure that aint happening.

I liked when they put Laich on the left point... I agree it's kind of mindboggling to see Ovi out there chasing down pucks.. It's also no secret that he's one of the worst defenders on the team and my heart skips a beat any time the PKers get a 1 on 1 with him going the other way... Maybe there's a method to the madness that we just don't see... I dunno...

Also, a top 4 of Alzner - Carlson and Markov - Green would be dirty. IMO, if healthy, Markov is the perfect partner for Green. Can't imagine him leaving Montreal though.

Old
06-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Wow. Yeah, I have no idea what I was thinking of. I was sure he'd had a fluke year like that in Columbus.
You're probably thinking of Clark, who we traded to Columbus in exchange for Chimera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
Hey, finally someone else who isn't opposed to trying Alzner-Green.

Pitkanen-Carlson wouldn't be as good of a shutdown pair as Alzner-Carlson, but I think it could still be effective enough.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
You're probably thinking of Clark, who we traded to Columbus in exchange for Chimera.
Ha, no. There is someone I'm thinking of but I can't quite figure it out. Dunno why I thought it was Chimera.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:21 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Ha, no. There is someone I'm thinking of but I can't quite figure it out. Dunno why I thought it was Chimera.
mike green?

Old
06-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

That's him! Thanks.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Dirtbag59

Posted at 05:40 PM ET, 06/20/2011
Semyon Varlamov: ‘I would really like to sign a deal in America’
By Slava Malamud
As July 1 nears, the Washington Capitals will be forced to make their decision on goalie Semyon Varlamov. Obviously, unlike with other restricted free agents, Varlamov’s being Russian complicates matters, as the KHL, under no obligation to respect NHL’s RFA rules, is always a threat to snatch home-grown talents back to the Motherland. As it were, today Sport-Express has been able to confirm that Varlamov is indeed a subject of several developments in Russia.

As I have posted earlier on my Twitter account, the current situation is as follows. Varlamov’s former club, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, currently holds his KHL negotiating rights. Lokomotiv, though, is relatively poor, and as sources within the team have told us, it currently has no realistic hope to negotiate with Varlamov. However, there is a team with a lot more financial clout that is very interested in acquiring Semyon’s rights from Lokomotiv. It is, unsurprisingly, SKA St. Petersburg, which is owned by Gazprom Exprot (the world’s largest exporter of natural gas), and whose former president, Alexander Medvedev, is also the president of the KHL.

According to sources within the KHL, SKA may offer Varlamov a multi-year deal worth in the vicinity of $4 million per year. SKA is notorious as the league’s top spender, and it had made waves last year by acquiring former San Jose goalie Evgeni Nabokov, who was subsequently cut from the team in mid-season. SKA is also, for all its lavish ways, a notorious under-achiever, having never won a championship, and this offseason, with a new coaching staff (which includes goalie coach Jussi Parkkila, Varlamov’s personal mentor), the pressure is higher than ever.

Continue reading this post »

Old
06-20-2011, 11:55 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Varlamov would lose IIHF eligibility if he signs in the KHL? Or only if he signs in the KHL while under contract with Washington?

Old
06-21-2011, 12:04 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
That's him! Thanks.
i'm not sure who is screwing with whom.

this is a rare moment for me. i'm savoring it.

Old
06-21-2011, 12:12 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Posted at 05:40 PM ET, 06/20/2011
Semyon Varlamov: ‘I would really like to sign a deal in America’
By Slava Malamud
As July 1 nears, the Washington Capitals will be forced to make their decision on goalie Semyon Varlamov. Obviously, unlike with other restricted free agents, Varlamov’s being Russian complicates matters, as the KHL, under no obligation to respect NHL’s RFA rules, is always a threat to snatch home-grown talents back to the Motherland. As it were, today Sport-Express has been able to confirm that Varlamov is indeed a subject of several developments in Russia.

As I have posted earlier on my Twitter account, the current situation is as follows. Varlamov’s former club, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, currently holds his KHL negotiating rights. Lokomotiv, though, is relatively poor, and as sources within the team have told us, it currently has no realistic hope to negotiate with Varlamov. However, there is a team with a lot more financial clout that is very interested in acquiring Semyon’s rights from Lokomotiv. It is, unsurprisingly, SKA St. Petersburg, which is owned by Gazprom Exprot (the world’s largest exporter of natural gas), and whose former president, Alexander Medvedev, is also the president of the KHL.

According to sources within the KHL, SKA may offer Varlamov a multi-year deal worth in the vicinity of $4 million per year. SKA is notorious as the league’s top spender, and it had made waves last year by acquiring former San Jose goalie Evgeni Nabokov, who was subsequently cut from the team in mid-season. SKA is also, for all its lavish ways, a notorious under-achiever, having never won a championship, and this offseason, with a new coaching staff (which includes goalie coach Jussi Parkkila, Varlamov’s personal mentor), the pressure is higher than ever.

Continue reading this post »
Word is that Varly is back in Yaroslavl now. I'm starting to wonder if he's not gone.

He doesn't want to be the backup, great. The issue has never been his talent, it's his health. You have to wonder if he takes the less, but guarenteed $$ to stay in North America or if he rolls the dice, takes the larger paycheck in the KHL and risks being cut or renegotiated if he plays poorly or gets injured.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
06-21-2011, 12:15 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
conclusions are becoming increasingly selffullfilling. a character guy walks and it reflects badly on the team. a character guy signs or stays with the team and it reflects badly on the player.
When does it EVER reflect badly on the player who stays with the team that groomed him?

Old
06-21-2011, 12:21 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How do you grade Laich's chemistry with Semin? Factoring their number of games together, I don't think they mesh well. This has gone on for years. Arnott displayed better chemistry with both of them in just a handful of games. 14 goals as a scoring line winger + playoff intangibles doesnt equate to 4M. I didnt see him up his game in the playoffs, did you?
Let's be honest....who HAS meshed well with Semin really? Nobody that I can remember. He just does his own thing and makes things happen no matter what. Laich conversly has meshed well on the 2nd and 3rd lines and played a decent 1st line from time to time (not to mention and little D). He's the classic utility guy.

Old
06-21-2011, 12:40 AM
dashtary*

Johansson for sure. Saw it on Day #1. If Semin stays, Mojo/Sasha are locked in together for years.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:03 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Johansson for sure. Saw it on Day #1. If Semin stays, Mojo/Sasha are locked in together for years.
Mojo has meshed well wherever he's played. Too short of a window to truely judge. I don't remember a ton of Semin from Mojo goals all of the sudden.

Old
06-21-2011, 06:38 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
When does it EVER reflect badly on the player who stays with the team that groomed him?
* i recently recall comments about knuble. his staying could be evidence that he felt like the caps were where he could win a cup. the response was that all knuble cared about was getting his games in. so...laich leaving proves that character players dont want to be in washington while knuble staying only calls into question knuble's character.

* varly. staying. khl is the boogie man sometimes, but the conditions are horrid with many teams. a khl contract makes an nfl contract look reliable.

Old
06-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Vabeachblue

Sounds like varly is staying, I dont see a reason to let him walk. Hopefully he can stay healthy this season and take that #1 spot. Laich is a "character" guy on the team but if he wants to get a big pay day he should go for it. We can make a moves with the cap space, i really hope we retool out bottom 6 add some nasty to it.

Old
06-21-2011, 07:19 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Let's be honest....who HAS meshed well with Semin really? Nobody that I can remember. He just does his own thing and makes things happen no matter what. Laich conversly has meshed well on the 2nd and 3rd lines and played a decent 1st line from time to time (not to mention and little D). He's the classic utility guy.
I thought Semin showed chemistry with Arnott. Who really just did nothing other than whip pucks over to Semin, and be a big body. But Arnott had even better chemistry with Laich... but then Arnott needed rest. Came back and wasnt the same. So I thought that line across the board had potential meshability. I thought BMo did good with Semin, got burned out or a groin & ended up in the doghouse and got dumped. BMo was here when we dominated pre olympics. He got things done. I am seeing a pattern here, old crafty vets are wise enough to use Semin to his potential. They just break down.

Semin like many NHL players, need complimentary players. He has a sick shot. Get him the puck, take a slapper towards him if necessary. He can catch it, and he can roof it. Blind passes, he cant be a one man show all the time. He gets injured doing that.

I am talking myself into giving Arnott another shot. He will get injured often enough to give Marcus the luxury of some top 6 time to keep him developing.

Younguns like Marcus are just finding their own feet, and cant really make other guys shine just yet. But he has too much speed, vision, passing and shooting ability to be playing with pluggers on 3 for long. He lacks girth, dot work, puck shielding, and old school nhl boardwork, all normal for his age. With beefed up wingers, he can be a scoring line center now IMO.

Maybe a big russian LW will do well with Marcus and Semin. Ruslan Fedetenko perhaps. He hits a LOT more than Laich. Marcus focuses on bringing the puck in with speed and dishing it, staying up high and unleashing one timers, the russians work a two man game down low.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-21-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old
06-21-2011, 08:45 AM
txpd

semin had chem with arnott as long as arnott could skate a little. the knee surgery really damaged that. semin has also had chemistry with backstrom in playoffs past. this time around backstrom was not on his game and didnt bring much playmaking for semin.
i thought that bMO played well with semin in the past as well.

Old
06-21-2011, 08:57 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

I wonder if Arnott was injured when we got him. It didnt look like it, but then I dont remember seeing him blow out his knee one game either. I remember a trip or two to the locker room mid game.

Changing gears, I have a feeling Varly is going to bolt. I suspect he is irked at not getting a chance in the tampa series. If he was close with Irbe, that is all the more likely to make him disgrunted. No matter, he sees the writing on the wall. Bruce likes Neuvy, and he knows most everyone likes Holtby, including most of Canada. One thing that will make him stay is if he believes his groin was the only thing holding him back, and he wants to prove Bruce wrong. One thing that will make him leave, George doesnt have to give him lots of money, he has two other G's ready to go. KHL money is money too. Varly is a stud, I hope his days arent over already because he was overflexible.

If he is here this fall and all 3 are healthy, there is going to be an unhappy camper down in Hershey.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:10 AM
pokerandpucks
Rookie User

I'm not going through this whole thread to look, so I'll just ask. Is Laich talking about testing the market?

Old
06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
txpd

Quote:
I wonder if Arnott was injured when we got him. It didnt look like it, but then I dont remember seeing him blow out his knee one game either. I remember a trip or two to the locker room mid game..
i dont think so. his game changed. he had the game you mentioned where he left mid game and did not return. knee injuries are often not seen from tv. an injury requiring a scoping wouldnt fall into the blown out catagory either. when the team left on the long march road swing, he stayed behind and had surgery.

laich is not talking about anything. read that as he is not definately leaving. working with mcphee means staying clear of the media. were he definately looking to jump ship the media savy laich might have said something to that regard. wanting to stay or keeping that option viable means silence with the media.

Closed Thread