HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
  #926
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Varly has looked far better to me in the playoffs than Neuvy *and* Varly was tendin' behind a worse defense. I like Neuvy, but to carelessly trade a talent like Varly as some here suggest would be an epic mistake.
The funny thing about Nuevy is he was the first Goalie in forever to allow the Caps to win a series before game 7. By the same token he also was in net for the sweep and I was all for giving Varly a start, not because I didn't believe in Nuevy, but because we needed to give Tampa a different look.

Personally, I love the calm, technically sound, and poised style of Nuevy as well as the wild and athletic style of Varly and part of me wonders if Varly can have a Thomas like comeback but I just can't decide especially with Holtby in the wings. With Nuevy though I rarely got nervous if he got scored on early because I always felt like he was mentally sound enough to recover from early goals unlike Luongo who's shakey games would result in as many as 6 or 7 goals.



Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 05:27 PM
  #927
sycamore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I hate to point to the specter but the damned thing is standing right in front of us. The specter is mediocre management which must eventually lead to our best players eventually moving on. Ted, George McPhee, and Bruce have been playing games with Varly and he's been biding his time. Varly knows how good he is. He came to America to win the Stanley Cup, not to get jerked around by a bunch of know-nothing-win-nothings who happen to be "in the game."

I'm a true and deep Caps fan and even I am starting to really think it'd be best for some of these kids' careers to get the Hell away from Washington. Believe me, I hate it but all these kids are doing is getting a paycheck. They ain't gonna win the Cup with the management the Caps have now.

There I said it.
With this same spirit in mind, would not surprise me, in the case the Caps do not show MARKED improvement in the next two years, that #8 himself demands a trade.

sycamore is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 05:32 PM
  #928
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
With this same spirit in mind, would not surprise me, in the case the Caps do not show MARKED improvement in the next two years, that #8 himself demands a trade.
Ovechkin isn't like Lebron or Kobe. He loves the area. It would most likely take the fanbase completely turning on him as well as missed playoff appearances (emphasis on the plural form) for him to consider a trade. However he would more likely blame himself.

He has that Jordan like drive. He doesn't look to make excuses, accepts blame even when it isn't his fault, and he's determined to finish what he started. The front office would have to show zero dedication to building a winner before he reached a breaking point and you might disagree with their philosophy when it comes to player acquisition or some of the types of players they go after but it's just hyperbole to say that the team isn't trying to build a Stanley Cup contender. If that was the case they would have stuck with the same run and gun system that made them the most exciting team in the league back before this year.

Quote:
Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, ...
By the way this post was only partially directly at Khuddle. The real targets are people saying stuff like "The Caps front office doesn't care about winning the cup" and "all Ted wants is to sell tickets." I guess it's easier to sell McPhee hate if you can convicne people that somehow he enjoys loosing in the playoffs and puts no effort into building the team.


Last edited by Dirtbag59: 06-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 05:50 PM
  #929
ForzaItalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Varlamov let in some abysmal goals against the Penguins and didn't exactly carry the team past Montreal, did he?

I like his attitude, but Neuvirth was incredibly confident (and better) his 1st go around in the playoffs.
Maybe so but at the same time this past season was the first time that the Caps tried playing something called "defence".

ForzaItalia is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 05:54 PM
  #930
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust
 
Raikkonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,006
vCash: 500
Andy McDonald. 4,7M for 2 more years. NTC.

Maybe he is the player GMGM will target in a trade?

Fehr, Schultz, picks, cookies? Maybe some junior prospect (Flemming, Mitchell or somebody).

MJ will have to play #3C + PP + PK. Give him his countryman Sjogren as #3RW.

Raikkonen is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 05:56 PM
  #931
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Neuvirth's playoff performance was decent. That's it. Most of his play in the NHL has been consistent with Atlas' view. However, Neuvirth's lifetime (since juniors) save percentage in the playoffs is something outrageous, much better than his regular season number. That is very intriguing and can't really be ignored. It may not hold true in the NHL, but I am interested in finding out. (Regardless, Varlamov is a much more talented player.)

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:02 PM
  #932
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,420
vCash: 50
I give Neuvy a C grade for his playoff performance. Like Varlamov versus Montreal the year before. Average at best. Its tough to single him out but goalies are on the ice for 60 minutes, they must face scrutiny.

Varlamov versus Pitt... our defensemen had 2 or 3 broken feet plus Greens shoulder. He got cross checked in the head and no one did anything. Varly was wearing down and it was easy to see as the series went on. He was just a kid thrown into the fire out of no where. Bruce blew it and ignored him showing signs of needing a break. Game 6 or 7, he should have been sat for Theo. I would have gone 6 to Theo and if Theo sucked, Varly back in rested for 7.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:03 PM
  #933
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
With this same spirit in mind, would not surprise me, in the case the Caps do not show MARKED improvement in the next two years, that #8 himself demands a trade.
Exactly.

Of course, no one wants that but it is inevitable if management doesn't get straightened out. It is important that fans grasp this now. It'll be too late if and when Ovie has seen enough.

Atlas is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:11 PM
  #934
ForzaItalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I give Neuvy a C grade for his playoff performance. Like Varlamov versus Montreal the year before. Average at best. Its tough to single him out but goalies are on the ice for 60 minutes, they must face scrutiny.

Varlamov versus Pitt... our defensemen had 2 or 3 broken feet plus Greens shoulder. He got cross checked in the head and no one did anything. Varly was wearing down and it was easy to see as the series went on. He was just a kid thrown into the fire out of no where. Bruce blew it and ignored him showing signs of needing a break. Game 6 or 7, he should have been sat for Theo. I would have gone 6 to Theo and if Theo sucked, Varly back in rested for 7.
Easy to say that now but had BB gone back to Theo, the whole board and media would have ridiculed him. The team had ZERO confidence in Theo so Varly was the right and only choice IMO.

ForzaItalia is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:15 PM
  #935
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Maybe so but at the same time this past season was the first time that the Caps tried playing something called "defence".

Right on. Varly figures to be a top NHL goalie playing behind a legit defense. Boudreau didn't give Varly the time of day this year. I don't think the injuries were an issue this year; I think Boudreau has been playing games with Varly for god knows what stupid reason and Varly is biding his time. We've seen athletes do this before when they get into a bad situation with management.

Can anyone here justify playing Neuvy in back to back games 3 and 4 against Tampa? It was absurd, both teams knew it and the Caps, predictably, mailed it in for Game 4 and whimpered on home.

Atlas is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:21 PM
  #936
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Maybe so but at the same time this past season was the first time that the Caps tried playing something called "defence".
You're right. But they didn't start playing D until after Christmas. Neuvirth was great October-December. Oops,

Anyone grading out Neuvirth as "average" this past year just doesn't know what they're looking at, imo. He had a better first playoffs than Varlamov and when he's on is perfectly capable of leading a team to a Championship. Something he's done twice in NA.

Varlamov is more athletic than the other two...and that's it. He's not worth paying 2-3m at this point and that's what he's looking for.

EroCaps is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:24 PM
  #937
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Right on. Varly figures to be a top NHL goalie playing behind a legit defense. Boudreau didn't give Varly the time of day this year. I don't think the injuries were an issue this year; I think Boudreau has been playing games with Varly for god knows what stupid reason and Varly is biding his time. We've seen athletes do this before when they get into a bad situation with management.

Can anyone here justify playing Neuvy in back to back games 3 and 4 against Tampa? It was absurd, both teams knew it and the Caps, predictably, mailed it in for Game 4 and whimpered on home.
Why? Neuvirth wasn't the problem. If Roloson's old ass can play back-to-backers so can a 20 year old.

They didn't lose because of goaltending.

The fact this is being debated and Neuvirth of all people is taking heat is silly.

EroCaps is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:24 PM
  #938
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,213
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Right on. Varly figures to be a top NHL goalie playing behind a legit defense. Boudreau didn't give Varly the time of day this year. I don't think the injuries were an issue this year; I think Boudreau has been playing games with Varly for god knows what stupid reason and Varly is biding his time. We've seen athletes do this before when they get into a bad situation with management.

Can anyone here justify playing Neuvy in back to back games 3 and 4 against Tampa? It was absurd, both teams knew it and the Caps, predictably, mailed it in for Game 4 and whimpered on home.
So injuries weren't an issue for Varly this year?...It was just Boudreau's fault?

Sounds about right coming from you.

Backstrom #19 is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:29 PM
  #939
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
They didn't lose because of goaltending.

They didn't win because of goaltending either.

Atlas is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:32 PM
  #940
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust
 
Raikkonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,006
vCash: 500
Varly doesn't have trade value. Neuvirth has.

If many of you think Hotby will be #1 very soon what's the risk in trading Neuvy?

Caps: Varly, Holtby
Bears: Saburin, Grubauer

Holtby will not be rushed because Varly can play some games for sure. If it will be clear Varly isn't bullet-proof still - Holtby will be playoff starter.

Vet backup at the trade deadline if required.

Stats are telling this is the way. Eyes are telling Varly/Holtby will hold the fort as good as Neuvirth and maybe better.

It's not the time yet to trade but if the offer is right? =)))

To Tampa for Malone ))

Raikkonen is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:34 PM
  #941
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
He had a better first playoffs than Varlamov

This is not true. Varly was a stone wall against the Rangers and the first 6 games against the Pens. The refs jobbed the Caps in Game 3 or Varly would've won that series in 5-6 games. Varly and the team were much better that year than this year. It's not even a comparison. Varly was good against Montreal, too. But he got Halak'd, as txpd used to say.

Atlas is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:37 PM
  #942
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
Varly doesn't have trade value. Neuvirth has.

If many of you think Hotby will be #1 very soon what's the risk in trading Neuvy?

Caps: Varly, Holtby
Bears: Saburin, Grubauer

Holtby will not be rushed because Varly can play some games for sure. If it will be clear Varly isn't bullet-proof still - Holtby will be playoff starter.

Vet backup at the trade deadline if required.

Stats are telling this is the way. Eyes are telling Varly/Holtby will hold the fort as good as Neuvirth and maybe better.

It's not the time yet to trade but if the offer is right? =)))

To Tampa for Malone ))

I like it! A Varly & Holtby tandem would be badass. They both play a balls to the wall style. Acrobatics and flair and attitude.

Atlas is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:48 PM
  #943
Meatchops
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Here's a new one...

According to Mike Lownsbrough, a member of the media accidentally received a conference call number and ID to a meeting involving Feaster and the Capitals. Apparently Feaster was talking to the Capitals about Regehr and on that call he also said he was talking to Columbus about Jay Bouwmeester.

http://outlawsportstv.com/ep231.php

Horrible source but as a long time Calgary guy, I would love to see Regehr in DC. He's getting a bit old but he's tough as nails.

Meatchops is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:51 PM
  #944
SkinsFan09
Registered User
 
SkinsFan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 500
Yeah I'll take Varly/Holtby over Neuvirth.

SkinsFan09 is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
  #945
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
This is not true. Varly was a stone wall against the Rangers and the first 6 games against the Pens. The refs jobbed the Caps in Game 3 or Varly would've won that series in 5-6 games. Varly and the team were much better that year than this year. It's not even a comparison. Varly was good against Montreal, too. But he got Halak'd, as txpd used to say.
Varlamov was all over the place against the Penguins, letting in soft goals in multiple games that hurt them.

"The Caps didn't win because of goaltending" is a ludicrous POV. They didn't win because they folded as a team and Neuvirth was one of maybe 3-5 player who actually gave a **** as they were doing it. He didn't do a Luongo.

I'm over this debate.

EroCaps is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 07:18 PM
  #946
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
Varly doesn't have trade value. Neuvirth has.
I don't see how Varlamov doesn't have trade value. He's stated his intent to remain in the NHL, he just wants an opportunity. Unless his contract demands are way high teams like Phoenix and Colorado should have interest. Whether that's the way to go...debatable. Depends on the return and whether his demands are manageable enough in the short-term.

Langway is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 07:24 PM
  #947
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Actually his durability is exactly why he can't head back to Russia. If a team was so quick to cut Nabakov for poor play what chance would Varly have with injuries, and possibly poor play due to injuries?
Nabokov wasn't cut due to poor play. He left because of "family issues" with Russia (American wife and kids in a foreign country apparently weren't enjoying it).

Mystlyfe is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 07:34 PM
  #948
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,415
vCash: 500
i dont think that any of the young goalies are worth enough to trade any of them.

feaster....laughing.

txpd is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 08:17 PM
  #949
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Nabokov wasn't cut due to poor play. He left because of "family issues" with Russia (American wife and kids in a foreign country apparently weren't enjoying it).
Sorry, for overlooking that. The few blurbs I saw about him getting cut cited poor play so I just ran with that. I guess poor play was a side effect of the family issues.

Quote:
Only four months into the regular season, Evgeni Nabokov surprisingly decided to leave SKA St. Petersburg and Russia this week. SKA’s general manager, Andrei Tochitsky, said Nabokov's contract was canceled “due to family reasons,” but many suspect that mostly it’s due to his poor play and difficulty adapting to the Russian game.

Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old
06-21-2011, 08:22 PM
  #950
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatchops View Post
According to Mike Lownsbrough, a member of the media accidentally received a conference call number and ID to a meeting involving Feaster and the Capitals. Apparently Feaster was talking to the Capitals about Regehr and on that call he also said he was talking to Columbus about Jay Bouwmeester.

http://outlawsportstv.com/ep231.php

Horrible source but as a long time Calgary guy, I would love to see Regehr in DC. He's getting a bit old but he's tough as nails.
Who wouldn't want Regehr here, but for some reason I'm skeptical that he'll waive for D.C..

Capitlols is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.