HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Who that mystery center is or where we get him, I don't know, but I think it could fix the team in a hurry.
Seems likely they're just going to wait for Johansson to develop into that sort of player. That's a lot to ask in the short-term but it would be helpful if his linemates were more readily polished quantities if they're not going to be further refined offensively here.

It would be pretty useful to keep Laich around at 3C if the numbers work because he's probably the closest thing to a shutdown center option come playoff time to free Backstrom up for more offensive situations. But, again, I don't know if they really have ideal wingers to compliment him for sort of that job either. What you end up with are rather vanilla second and third lines with no real strength or role beyond mediocre two-way play and their individual skill sets.

On the plus side, complimentary wingers shouldn't be that hard to find. Not as difficult as C/D/G which hopefully ought to be their strengths in the years to come.

Old
05-27-2011, 06:40 AM
txpd

Quote:
Not even. Get Ovechkin back to 55 and get Backstrom back to 30 and Semin's offense is replaced.
thats true only in the context of this past season which was noted for its lack of scoring. thats effectively two steps back. then one step backward and two half steps forward.

Old
05-27-2011, 06:59 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
thats true only in the context of this past season which was noted for its lack of scoring. thats effectively two steps back. then one step backward and two half steps forward.
Nope. If we can average 3 goals/game without losing too much defensively, we'll be president trophy contenders.

We can get there easily without Semin.

Old
05-27-2011, 07:09 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
this year proved regular season goal totals are largely meaningless. A decent competitive team will make the playoffs. Ovi scoring 30 or 55 wont change anything when the big dance starts. Its more important to have built a team of competitive players, ones that will give their all in the playoffs.

That trumps concerning ourselves filling a players regular season goals should he get traded. Its pointless to trade semin and have a buttery soft defense. But I continue to think that Semin has largely been a good overall playoff performer. We just dont replace him when he is injured and ineffective and maybe we should.

Old
05-27-2011, 07:23 AM
txpd

buttery soft

Old
05-27-2011, 07:38 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

more like a feather duster. Butter is too heavy and consistent.

Sure dumping Semin for a mean hitter on defense may help. And it will keep TXPD busy posting after his shenanigans, to see if I approved or not. But I think we need more than just one guy that you will notice in the playoffs, playing with an attitude. We had no attitude at all. We lacked confidence drive will, you name the buzz word, we lacked it. Up and down the lineup. Ovi Erskine... and crickets.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Millhaus

I love the whole 'if everyone else does their jobs then we don't need Semin' line of thinking. No issues with counting on that whatsoever...

Old
05-27-2011, 08:38 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
more like a feather duster. Butter is too heavy and consistent.

Sure dumping Semin for a mean hitter on defense may help. And it will keep TXPD busy posting after his shenanigans, to see if I approved or not. But I think we need more than just one guy that you will notice in the playoffs, playing with an attitude. We had no attitude at all. We lacked confidence drive will, you name the buzz word, we lacked it. Up and down the lineup. Ovi Erskine... and crickets.
do you think the caps are steve downey away from a cup? thats an honest question.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:54 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
do you think the caps are steve downey away from a cup? thats an honest question.
The Caps were Sean Bergenheim away from the conference finals
Who, coincidentally, is a UFA this year.

Old
05-27-2011, 09:28 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
actually, the caps would be the next sean bergenheim away. bergenheim is having a once in a decade playoff run for a player of his level. he is john druce. druce did it once. bergenheim won't do this again. likely wont get close to it again.

Old
05-27-2011, 09:34 AM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

I don't think the Caps are one player away, especially a guy like Bergenheim or Downie, from winning a cup. I think in the NYR series, they were simply bailed out by the fact that NY was relatively slow and offensively anemic. They're supposed playmaker's (Gaborik) only moment of note was when he knocked the puck away from Lundquist right to Chimera in double OT. When the Caps finally played an offensively explosive team like Tampa, it was bound to give them more trouble. Combine this with the fact that they couldn't clear the crease to save their lives, and we saw the end result. Say what you want about Tampa getting lucky with bounces off the sticks and feet, but you have to earn those opportunities by fighting for position and going to the dirty areas, and they did.

Old
05-27-2011, 11:10 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I love the whole 'if everyone else does their jobs then we don't need Semin' line of thinking. No issues with counting on that whatsoever...
None at all. And if they all pull their weight for more than 3/4 of the season, we come out ahead!

Old
05-27-2011, 11:18 AM
JohnCarlsaurus

As I see it, there are two things the Caps really need:

One is obviously help on the PP. Adding another PP QB would mean Laich & Ovie wouldnt have to be there. Getting outside help in the form of a new assistant coach could help too, since it seems like they're too predictable.

Second, is they need a mobile shutdown dman to replace Poti if he is no longer effective. He's not physical at all but he's experienced, mobile and usually makes good decisions in both zones. A healthy Poti would've been useful in the Tampa series against all those quick forwards. Physical would be nice but I'd settle for not slow.

Basically, the Caps could really use someone like Kimmo Timonen. Actually getting a player like that is another story though.

Old
05-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
None at all. And if they all pull their weight for more than 3/4 of the season, we come out ahead!
So now you only need to do your job 3/4 of the season to get the BCF seal of approval? Interesting that Semin gets run down for not doing it all season long when everyone else only needs to do it 3/4 of the time.

Sure hope the BCF built Caps don't encounter any seasons where the 2 guys on career contracts play way below average the entire year as his carefully crafted plan will be in taters.

This season showed that when Semin was going great Ovechkin and Backstrom could be below average and the team would still be really good but when Semin stopped being great Ovechkin and Backstrom at below average weren't anywhere close to good enough for the team to score and the result was a team going in the tank and only coming out of it when the coach drastically changed the system to defensive one to try to eek out points.

But Ovechkin and Backstrom not getting it done won't happen under the BCF plan so there is nothing to worry about...

Old
05-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarlsaurus View Post
Basically, the Caps could really use someone like Kimmo Timonen.

-6 in 4 games against the Bruins Kimmo Timonen?

Old
05-27-2011, 11:40 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

My point was that Semin only plays in 3/4 of the season anyway.

And its not like we would be replacing Semin with the capstronaut. He's replaced by quality players either by trade or cap freedom.

An injury prone, perimeter winger in a secondary role is just an absurd luxury at 12% of the salary cap.

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 05-27-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old
05-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
My point was that Semin only plays in 3/4 of the season anyway.

And its not like we would be replacing Semin with the capstronaut. He's replaced by quality players either by trade or cap freedom.

An injury prone, perimeter winger in a secondary role is just an absurd luxury at 12% of the salary cap.
It is only a luxury if winning without him is easy and the Ovechkin and Backstrom who showed up this year showed that was anything but the case.

And it is easy to pick apart Semin's flaws when you are comparing him to some hypothetical 'quality' player. People act like 20 goal 60 point players who are pretty solid in every part of the game grow on trees and are easily added.

And if you think removing Semin and sliding another Laich onto that second line isn't going to have a major effect on the defensive players that Ovechkin and Backstrom see every game, and especially in the playoffs, then I don't know what to tell you. Oh no here comes Johansson and the Laich twins...

But I forgot, your Ovechkin and Backstrom are going to be unstoppable because... well just because...

Old
05-27-2011, 03:48 PM
um

Quote:
Not even. Get Ovechkin back to 55 and get Backstrom back to 30 and Semin's offense is replaced.
how are you gonna get them back, **** while were there how bout green and knuble get back to 30

Old
05-27-2011, 03:53 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
I don't think the Caps are one player away, especially a guy like Bergenheim or Downie, from winning a cup. I think in the NYR series, they were simply bailed out by the fact that NY was relatively slow and offensively anemic. They're supposed playmaker's (Gaborik) only moment of note was when he knocked the puck away from Lundquist right to Chimera in double OT. When the Caps finally played an offensively explosive team like Tampa, it was bound to give them more trouble. Combine this with the fact that they couldn't clear the crease to save their lives, and we saw the end result. Say what you want about Tampa getting lucky with bounces off the sticks and feet, but you have to earn those opportunities by fighting for position and going to the dirty areas, and they did.
Yes sir, as much as I hate to say it, Tampa got it done. Guys like Bergenheim, Downie, and Purcell have picked it up and played well during the regular season. Not to mention, Hedman really stepped up his game too. Tampa must of watched NYR series tape too because they did a lot of centering the puck to the net knowing Neuvy likes to play deep in net. I would say we're 2 Bergenheims away. Of course, I am one to say you cannot have enough Downies on your team. I hate him on TB, but put him on the Caps and he becomes an instant favorite. I still think we should address the defense. Cut losses with Schultz and make legitimate pitches at some of the UFA defensmen. I followed Brewer a lot when he was younger, especially in Edmonton. He is playing like his Edmonton days. Heart and gritty play is what we need, especially on defense. We need a nasty defensman.

Old
05-27-2011, 03:55 PM
IafrateOvie34

I am believing Ovechkin and Backstrom come on strong next year. The key to them is not partying too much in the off season. Just say no to HBO shows too.

Old
05-27-2011, 04:59 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
I don't think the Caps are one player away either, nor one coach away, nor one GM away, from winning a cup. They're one attitude away, and who knows if this group will ever have that.

So we, the fans, call for change. But what do we change? The opinions seem divided to me. Coach, GM, players, owner, we've heard it all. They need more grit, or they need more skill; they need forwards, or they need defense. Our inability to reach even a slight consensus about what exactly is wrong with the Caps is pretty informative. It tells us that
a) There is nothing wrong with the Caps
b) There are so many things wrong with the Caps that they need to start over
c) We don't know anything about hockey
d) We need to let our frustration go

I'm inclined to go with d). Accept the fact that the Caps broke our collective hearts. After all, as one writer put it, this was the year. They had three seasons of playoff experience. The stars were just entering their prime. Carlson and Alzner had unexpectedly emerged as one of the top defensive pairings in the league. The Caps had a new style, designed for playoff success. They were on a hot streak at the end of the regular season. They made quick work of the Rangers. And then came the four games of grief. We, the fans, were crushed (well, I was). And now, we turn all of our emotion back upon its source. It's time to move on from last season (and there's even still time to enjoy the last bits of it!).

In the end, we know that even if Leonsis fires McPhee and Boudreau, and the new GM blows up the team, we will still have at least half of the same starting roster on opening night. That means that the half or more of the guys who are still here would still have to change their attitude. Regardless of how badly we may want change, because change means different results, right?!, the Cup will not come down to personnel decisions (in the short term).

Of course, some changes will be made. Teams evolve over time. Players evolve over time, too. I'm anxious to see how ours have evolved after this year. I think that this next season is the defining season for our current core. To suffer such a complete, humiliating defeat, after truly believing they could win - those are the moments upon which character is built.

Sorry to ramble again. Go Caps!

Old
05-27-2011, 05:24 PM
HTFN

That defeat was last year.

Old
05-27-2011, 06:02 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
That defeat was last year.
Well played sir.

Old
05-27-2011, 06:29 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Closer to 3 downies if not 4. We need 4 guys moved out that are fun to play against, and replaced with 4 guys that are not fun to play against.

Maybe 5.

It could all be what Bruce is asking of the guys, or not asking. So just by moving him to Hollywood may be a lot easier to try first. See if a simple coaching change can get a lot more out of the players before making more numerous changes. Anyone can hit, clean the crease, be a dick. Even Sarge. But not if they ignore the coach.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-27-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old
05-27-2011, 07:17 PM
IafrateOvie34

No skipping practices is a big start.

Closed Thread