HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2011, 02:09 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I would have liked to have seen Laich tried as a 2C without being handcuffed by Bruce's defensemen pinch at every chance philosophy. Our center has to be up high when it happens. I think it detracts from the offense they can bring.

Laich thinks he is a center and he is. We just dont use him there much.

My gut feeling is we retain him somehow. maybe a little hometown discount cooking. I kind of hope he bolts to force a changing of the guard since George doesn't seem inclined to do. He is one of the types George likes, a good all around player. Is his type that way to win a cup? Public image seems important to Ted, and Laich is a quality guy.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-30-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old
05-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Robert Theodorson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I don't know. After watching 24/7 I got the impression that Laich isn't really into expensive things, unlike Ovechkin who enjoys tailored suits and expensive cars. Not saying that he's going to play for free but at the same time I don't think he's the type thats going to try and squeeze out every last dime on his next contract, where ever that may be.
He's a young 20 something, if Toronto offers him 4M per year on a long term deal and we offer 2.5 or 3M per for 2 or 3 years that's not even a choice in my mind

Old
05-30-2011, 03:40 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
He's a young 20 something, if Toronto offers him 4M per year on a long term deal and we offer 2.5 or 3M per for 2 or 3 years that's not even a choice in my mind

Agreed, I don't necessarily think he's looking to leave, but given the weak FA class (I mean he's one of the best forwards available after B Richards), I think a GM on a team with a lot of money and cap room might make him an offer he can't say no to and that the Caps won't match.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:10 AM
JohnCarlsaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
-6 in 4 games against the Bruins Kimmo Timonen?
I know this was a few days ago but wth: Still finished +3 and with 6points (1g, 5a - same as Green though w/ 2 more gp, who was an even +/-), though none of that was on the pp, I know from watching him he's a decent point guy. He's got quite a contract though, yikes.

I'm not actually trying to argue for getting him specifically, I'm sure there are other options, just trying to put things in perspective.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:26 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Ehrhoff is the guy for me on defense. And his cap hit likely won't reach Timonen's.

Don't think more than one guy is needed on defense. Schultz out, new guy (Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, whoever) in should be enough to solidify that unit.

Beyond that, it doesn't appear that many changes will happen in the top 6 forwards, so I'd hope the bottom 6 is rebuilt with some additional speed and tenacity.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:42 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I'm not optimistic about Ehrhoff. He's pretty clearly the cream of the ufa market, and we tend not to be active/successful there. I also really doubt we can move the $10 million man without bundling him with something of value. Again, that's not mcphee's style.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:56 AM
JohnCarlsaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Ehrhoff is the guy for me on defense. And his cap hit likely won't reach Timonen's.

Don't think more than one guy is needed on defense. Schultz out, new guy (Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, whoever) in should be enough to solidify that unit.

Beyond that, it doesn't appear that many changes will happen in the top 6 forwards, so I'd hope the bottom 6 is rebuilt with some additional speed and tenacity.
Good call on Ehrhoff, I'd love it if we got him. Maybe Sturm will put in a good word for us.

Agreed that we really only need one addition on the back end. I also like Pitkanen, he's actually similar to Poti, which in my original post is who I was saying we really need to replace - and he should be cheaper than Ehrhoff.

Old
05-31-2011, 11:02 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm not optimistic about Ehrhoff. He's pretty clearly the cream of the ufa market, and we tend not to be active/successful there. I also really doubt we can move the $10 million man without bundling him with something of value. Again, that's not mcphee's style.
I'm not particularly optimistic the Caps get him (though many playoff teams are lacking in cap space), but he's the best fit to me. I'd happily take Hejda, Markov (on a one-year deal), Montador, or anyone else who's main strength isn't just being tall.

I think (hope) we'd be surprised by the market for Schultz. Put him in a stringent trapping system and he could be ok.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 05-31-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old
05-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Outside of targeted secondary complimentary pieces, I don't think this is a summer to do a whole lot in the UFA market unless they've cleared out space by moving a big contract player. Trades are the way to go as far as beginning to make impact moves.

Laich is the biggest question mark at this point and I'd guess he's going to test the market (with good reason considering the UFA crop this year). Subtract Laich potentially and there's a lot of personnel work to be done this summer that's pretty unlikely to be addressed through UFA entirely. I hope that doesn't lead to fast-tracking Eakin & Orlov but wouldn't be too surprised if that ends up being how they roll.

Old
05-31-2011, 02:18 PM
MiSe

Been reading the site for years, anyways hope I'm not out of line posting my thoughts on the ideal lineup for next year. I figured with Handi getting up there and LA's hope of getting a stud they'd part ways with him, Ehr is obviously getting a raise. Either way its just a pipe dream, but one thing I will preface, I'm really tired of the 3rd scoring line. I want my agitator back, with a line that has decent hands and can throw the body. The downfall I see with this lineup is lack of a PP2, which I'd hope with the abundance of PMD we could throw out our regular ES lines, but the PK would definately struggle with this line up, correct me if I'm wrong. I still would like to see it happen.

Final thoughts, with the 1 million left over, I'd hope to get another D at the deadline to once again keep Sloan as far away from the ice as possible heading into the loffs. 1.8 is a ton to pay for a 4th line winger and he's only there as I can't see anybody else picking up that god aweful contact, more likely to see Poti Retire, Schultz and Fehr shipped (Montreal apparently is chomping at the bits for there chance at this pair) and let Brads walk.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Mike Knuble ($2.000m)
Michal Handzus ($3.500m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Alexander Semin ($6.700m)
Raffi Torres ($1.100m) / Brooks Laich ($3.200m) / Scottie Upshall ($2.250m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Boyd Gordon ($0.800m) / Jason Chimera ($1.875m)
/ Jay Beagle ($0.512m)

DEFENSEMEN
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.250m) / Mike Green ($5.250m)
Karl Alzner ($2.500m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
Dmitri Orlov ($0.710m) / Dennis Wideman ($3.937m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) / Tyler Sloan ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Braden Holtby ($0.637m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,382,072; BONUSES: $80,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,017,928

Old
05-31-2011, 03:13 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSe View Post
Been reading the site for years, anyways hope I'm not out of line posting my thoughts on the ideal lineup for next year. I figured with Handi getting up there and LA's hope of getting a stud they'd part ways with him, Ehr is obviously getting a raise. Either way its just a pipe dream, but one thing I will preface, I'm really tired of the 3rd scoring line. I want my agitator back, with a line that has decent hands and can throw the body. The downfall I see with this lineup is lack of a PP2, which I'd hope with the abundance of PMD we could throw out our regular ES lines, but the PK would definately struggle with this line up, correct me if I'm wrong. I still would like to see it happen.

Final thoughts, with the 1 million left over, I'd hope to get another D at the deadline to once again keep Sloan as far away from the ice as possible heading into the loffs. 1.8 is a ton to pay for a 4th line winger and he's only there as I can't see anybody else picking up that god aweful contact, more likely to see Poti Retire, Schultz and Fehr shipped (Montreal apparently is chomping at the bits for there chance at this pair) and let Brads walk.
I wasn't aware the Caps had a third scoring line (or a second).

Other thoughts on your scenario... Brooksie's too nice to be on that third line, plus at his price tag I'd want to see him play more. Someone cheaper can be found for that third line role.

Would love to get Upshall but doubt it'll happen.

I like Chimera's speed pretty much anywhere; he created a lot of goals last season by appearing out of nowhere on the forecheck or preventing icing calls. Agree that his 1.8M is too much for a 4th liner though.

Still not sold on Ehrhoff as the FA defenseman to chase, although I'm not sure who I like better either.

Sloan's on a one-way contract, right? They should send him on waivers every single day and just pray someone claims him.

If Montreal wants Schultz and Fehr, they should definitely put something together. Fehr will never get another legitimate chance under Boudreau, and Schultz is too slow for anything but a trap defense.
Maybe get Cammalleri for them

Old
05-31-2011, 06:03 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I feel this way. I hope for the best, but most likely we'll see Toronto or some other team throw lots of money their way. Any changes will be a total surprise for me. I want some changes, but most likely it is just hopeful wishing on my part.

Old
05-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Agree on the weak tea third scoring line but that seems unlikely to change with both wingers under contract above market value considering their lack of versatility/well-roundedness. Plus, it doesn't sound as though Fehr will be ready to start the season. Their contracts almost preclude bringing in direct competition unless they can manage to make a smart, thrifty addition on the cheap. I don't know that McPhee thinks that way often enough.

Quick thoughts otherwise: Handzus $$$ too high, the other UFAs too low to varying extents. Hard to see Ehrhoff not making north of $5M on the open market. Laich seems a close comp. to a player like Stoll ($3.8M) and could fetch even more than that. Alzner may be a smidge high but depends on the length.

It's pretty hard to get jazzed about potential lineup configurations and we'll see if that changes much as 7/1 approaches. I've held off from considering it in great detail but just casually scoping things out doesn't do much to alter my indifference.

Old
05-31-2011, 08:06 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Not sure where to put this but what do you guys think the chances are that the caps play the first game in Winnipeg? I mean, they played at Atlanta 3 of the last 4 years to kick off the season...

Old
05-31-2011, 08:27 PM
txpd

i think thats pretty unlikely. the caps games in winnipeg as with the other sediv teams will come as part of western road swings. the caps playing first in winnipeg would signal a lenthy western road trip. the vc traditional schedule calls for the caps at home much of october.

Old
05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
IafrateOvie34

This is going to be an interesting hockey year for me. As a Caps and Jets fan growing up, I often got to look forward to double header games then, mostly on Saturday nights. I would watch the Caps then catch the Central and Mountain times later. It was Winnipeg or the Oilers after the Eastern teams were finished for the evening or close to it. Brings back a lot of memories for me and HNIC should have more coverage. Then again, the Caps haven't had issues getting HNIC coverage since Ovechkin started playing here. I know it is the same ATL team relocated, but the excitement of seeing a team back in Winnipeg is going to be nice. Those road games are going to be rough. Naturally, I'll be rooting for the Caps.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:13 AM
dashtary*

We should really jump on the Tim Erixon situation. Really good prospect and I'd definitely give up our 1st for him (if he signs). He's got an NHL future and is much more of a sure thing than anything at #26.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:02 AM
HTFN

I like the Erixon thing. I wouldn't mind at all, because we wouldn't even need to fast track Orlov, assuming Erixon would sign. Erixon is, to me, the more NHL ready defenseman.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:16 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Isn't the whole issue with Erixon that he is more or less demanding that he be allowed to stay in the SEL for one more year?

If that's the case I don't see how he helps us wrt Orlov's development.

Not saying the Caps should stay away if there's a deal to be made, of course. Just that it's not like they'd instantly be getting a good AHL prospect with NHL callup potential this season.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:32 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
We should really jump on the Tim Erixon situation. Really good prospect and I'd definitely give up our 1st for him (if he signs). He's got an NHL future and is much more of a sure thing than anything at #26.
His father was a good player and I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:57 AM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Isn't the whole issue with Erixon that he is more or less demanding that he be allowed to stay in the SEL for one more year?

If that's the case I don't see how he helps us wrt Orlov's development.

Not saying the Caps should stay away if there's a deal to be made, of course. Just that it's not like they'd instantly be getting a good AHL prospect with NHL callup potential this season.
I thought it was about NHL time, and that he hadn't been signed/approached seriously. My mistake.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:57 AM
txpd

signed: Green, Carlson, Wideman, Schultz, Erskine, Poti, Sloan. RFA and 98% sure to stay, Alzner. Thats 8 without reupping Hannan. I dont see any scenario where the Caps are fast tracking Orlov.

The Caps can afford to park Poti on LTIR to resign Hannan and then still trade Schultz while still leaving Orlov as a callup.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
I thought it was about NHL time, and that he hadn't been signed/approached seriously. My mistake.
I'm not 100% up on the situation either (hadn't even realized there was anything going on until just recently), but that's just what I've read at a glance. I guess everything will be cleared up shortly, one way or the other.

Old
06-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Langway
Intangibles

TSNBobMcKenzie: $ not usually factor in entry-level situations. Maybe Erixon wants to play elsewhere? If so, his rights will be traded before deadline.

Would be smarter to do that than get the 53rd pick as compensation or whatever.

Edit: Erixon goes to the Rongos for two seconds and Roman Horak.

Real_ESPNLeBrun: Daly just added that [the salary cap] might be as high as $63.5 million

Last edited by Langway: 06-01-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old
06-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Dirtbag59

Alright I'm going to give this a shot. Assuming Poti is healthy next year.
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knubble
Semin - Majo - Laich
Eakin - Sjorgens - Chimera (Yeaaaa, a line of 3 lefties)
Hendricks - Beagle - Bradley

Alzner - Carlson
Poti - Green
Erskine - Wideman
Schultz

Nuevy
Holtby

Let me have it.

Closed Thread