Notices

Feaster Upbeat About Signing Tanguay

Old
06-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Xelstyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
His season in Montreal was far from poor, in fact he was probably their best forward before being injured.
My bad. I've somehow gotten his season with Tampa overlapping with the time he was with Montreal.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:16 AM
haystax5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Feaster has made it clear he plans to re-sign Karlsson.
Tanguay is only one piece of the pie, need a blockbuster to show the team is real.

haystax5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by haystax5 View Post
Tanguay is only one piece of the pie, need a blockbuster to show the team is real.
How does a blockbuster necessarily indicate anything?

Old
06-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

I understand why you guys want under 4 million for Tanguay, I really do. I just think its entirely unrealistic. He's a 70 point player last season for crying out loud. How much do those guys usually get again?

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I understand why you guys want under 4 million for Tanguay, I really do. I just think its entirely unrealistic. He's a 70 point player last season for crying out loud. How much do those guys usually get again?
Yeah but we expect him to take somewhat of a pay cut due to he likes playing with Iginla, hates moving around a lot and had a great season in Calgary. I'm hoping for 3 million or under but wouldn't be surprised to see him get 4 million.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Body Checker

4 years, 14 million, NMC. My prediction

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
That would be a pretty fair IMO and I wouldn't mind if we signed Tanguay to that.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 299
Quote:
I could see that, as well. Not as low as most of us would want, but you give a little you take a little.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Say we give Tanguay a deal around 3.5 - 4 million, how the hell do we make room for him under the cap? Langkow and Stajan are pretty much unmovable at this point. Two of the following players will need to be moved for basically draft picks: Kotalik (likely gone), Hagman, Stajan, Langkow or Sarich. If Tangs gets that kind of money, the easiest thing to do probably would be to move Sarich, although that wouldn't be my first choice.

If these guys cannot be moved, I hope the owners don't mind buying out a couple of players. Again, this is based on what Boomer said and while he is a credible guy, he is not known for breaking news stories. I think it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. But it does kind of make you wonder though what is the holdup with getting him signed.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:00 PM
fischy13

In no GM's right mind should they ever buy out a contract. Doing this puts extra cap hit on your payroll and no player to show for it. Not to mention, it's there longer than just letting the contract run out.

The ONLY situation this is acceptable IMO is if your in the Oilers situation, have tons of room, and won't need it for years later, after the cap hit would expire.

The Flames don't have that luxury, once you buy them out, there is no moving that cap hit off your books, you can't demote it to the AHL, ship it to Europe, or terminate it in any way. In Kotalik, and Hagman's case, buying both out would put an additional 2 mil per year ( 1 mil each) for each of the next 2 years on the Flames Cap hit. This is more useless than they are......

fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
I'd predict closer to 15M but wouldn't complain with 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischy13 View Post
In no GM's right mind should they ever buy out a contract. Doing this puts extra cap hit on your payroll and no player to show for it. Not to mention, it's there longer than just letting the contract run out.

The ONLY situation this is acceptable IMO is if your in the Oilers situation, have tons of room, and won't need it for years later, after the cap hit would expire.

The Flames don't have that luxury, once you buy them out, there is no moving that cap hit off your books, you can't demote it to the AHL, ship it to Europe, or terminate it in any way. In Kotalik, and Hagman's case, buying both out would put an additional 2 mil per year ( 1 mil each) for each of the next 2 years on the Flames Cap hit. This is more useless than they are......
Actually it works out quite well if you're the Rangers hoping to make some space for a guy like Richards. By buying a player like Drury who can't be traded or put in the AHL, it's a viable move for the immediate season and next season.