Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Hannan

Old
07-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Shimoe

vCash: 500
Scott Hannan

I was wondering what others thought about bringing some experience and stability to a third pairing by trying to sign Hannan to something like a 2 year (2.5 per) deal? Hannan notched 10 goals last season and has a positive +/- rating. I know the knocks about his speed but I think his experience and consistency make up for that. It seems like we have come such a long way with adding Heatley and Seto. Why not try to add some concrete foundation to our defense and give Backstrom a reason to exhale. We can still rotate in and evaluate our defensive youth but we don't have to be completely dependent on them. If we brought in Hannan, it gives us the 2 years we need for some of our top prospects to mature. Hannan has to know by now he isn't going to get anywhere near his previous contract and we might be able to pick him up for a bargain.

Shimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
No thanks.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

I don't like the idea. More mediocrity.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:05 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Not needed...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:13 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I agree with you in the sense that the defense is paper thin, at best, right now.

However, I think the Wild are just contempt to roll with it and if (and when) the injuries take place, they'll insert a youngster into the roll and see how they handle the situation. We certainly get the sense that while the Wild made some moves that they hope to pay dividends, there's really no urgency to have that exactly come to fruition this season. I think they'll just play it out and adjust accordingly next offseason and hope to take a larger jump in overall play (and expectations) in 2012.

Long story short, I just don't think they plan on bringing in another vet.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:21 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I would have liked it before the Wild signed Lundin but between Schultz and Lundin, Hannan's strengths are already overshadowed by those two. He's not the shutdown guy Colorado thought but can eat a good 15-20 minutes.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:22 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

We have, what, 7 different "bottom 4" defensemen between the Wild and Houston? If we can't bring in a top pairing guy (and really, we can't) then we shouldn't be bringing anyone in without shipping someone else out.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

No too many D men as it is.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:34 PM
nickschultzfan

No.

My vision is (1) to build blueline around Schultz, Scandella, Stoner, Lundin, (2) move Zidlicky and Zanon for cap space, and (3) make a huge UFA Dman splash next off-season (Suter, Weber, or even Burns!).

Hannan fits no where in that plan.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No. Unless we're bringing in a #1/2 defenseman, not worth signing anyone. Too crowded in the bottom four.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:31 PM
saywut

Zero interest in adding Hannan. We have 8 d-men I envision making our team out of camp in Zanon, Zidlicky, Schultz, Lundin, Stoner, Spurgeon, Scandella, and Falk. Can't carry 9 d-men, 8 is a crowd itself, but we have bodies for Houston and Falk's waiver eligible, and with the extensive time Rick Wilson and Daryl Sydor spent with him in their respective leagues last season one would think they don't want to risk losing him.

As I've said before, I'd like to see Greg Zanon moved sooner rather than later, I don't see him as a fit for Mike Yeo's vision or a fit in our top-6. Move Marek Zidlicky around the deadline if we're not in a promising position. Move Clayton Stoner around the deadline if his play regresses, or can't work out an extension, or Falk surpasses him. If Stoner plays like he did last year, I'd give him 2M+ per.

Almost forgot to mention Nate Prosser, who both Yeo and Fletcher have given extensive praise to. He's going to have a shot himself, if Scandella/Spurgeon struggle in camp Prosser's going to be there taking their spot.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Caior89

Please, dont tell me you just read one of those multiple "every 30 team needs" articles, cause its kind tiring already.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:29 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
everyone has explored the reason's for "No" pretty thoroughly...I would assume he wants more than one year on his contract so my favorite reason for rejection is the cap savings we have for waving fistfuls of $ at one of the D studs that might dip their toe into the market next year.
With no real standouts (if Zid doesn't get his **** together) i see this year as a battle for ice time with players constantly getting more or less as Yeo feels their play dictates.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:12 PM
forthewild

i honestly see the Wild being fine on D, we won't have as much offense from D but we'll have more then good enough to get the job done. I feel that Scandella will be top 4 sooner then later.

really we don't need to add another contract and another bottom guy we need to get rid of bottom pairing guys.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
I think most people are under-estimating the Wild D core. NO, I'm not saying that they will be a shutout everyother game type defense, but I am fairly confident that they will hold their own. Sure they will have growing pains and hiccups along the way, but if the revamped offense can manage to score 1+ more goals per game, I feel it will really help take the pressure off the Defense.

So I say NO to Hannan. Let's roll with our own boys this year, and if we drastically under-achieve because of the defense; then next year we can spend some money and bring in some known talent.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

vCash: 405
I really dont see the Wild making another move for a D-Man this year unless some kind of cheap diamond in the rough appears, and I dont see that happening until at least the start of training camp.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:27 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Not needed at the moment. This year is more of an experiment year with some of the young guys as well as all the new additions and of course the new head coach. There's a time and place for signing veteran defensemen and that time is next free agency. Unless of course a couple of the young guys like Scandella and Spurgeon completely take us by surprise and do incredibely well this year. In that case we won't need any defensemen at all. But as others have mentioned we may move a defensemen or two and then a signing may be necessary. But even then we will not be signing a guy like Scott Hannan. We'll probably go after a more offensive defensemen. Let's see who does and who doesn't pan out this year first though. I really like Stoner especially since he was one of the few guys who actually had a plus rating last year and he isn't afraid to drop the gloves. He can actually win a fight too unlike Sawdust. And of course the young guys will get even more playing time when Zidlicky goes down. With him it's a matter of when not if.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What the WILD need: LOL A NEW TEAM, defensemen (worst in the league), goal scoring, a new coach (SICK OF THE TRAP), a real center for Marian Gaborik (can Joe Mauer skate?), anti-psychotic medication for the fans who think they won't FINISH LAST.

by Ryan Lambert

Old
07-27-2011, 10:56 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What the WILD need: LOL A NEW TEAM, defensemen (worst in the league), goal scoring, a new coach (SICK OF THE TRAP), a real center for Marian Gaborik (can Joe Mauer skate?), anti-psychotic medication for the fans who think they won't FINISH LAST.

by Ryan Lambert
what is this I don't even

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

http://www.firstroundbust.com/2011/0...ild-arent.html

Old
07-27-2011, 12:10 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah but that writer's a hack and a homer. His ****** opinions don't count.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote