General OT Thread #5: "Demonstration On Popping A Cherry" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNman View Post
Ok, maybe a stupid question, but I gotta ask to find out.....I have a crappy pair of Target rollerblades and it might be time to get new ones (brake is worn out, plastic is starting to peel) do roller hockey skates (Bauer, CCM, ....) come with brakes, or do you have to buy attachments for them? I've never seen a picture of a pair of roller hockey skates with brakes on them
nops, no brakes.

Old
07-20-2011, 11:08 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
You were not kidding dude, the WHOLE time the lady was saying how hard the work is and how you'll be crying every night when you go home because you're in so much pain, etc etc.

And oh my god that warehouse was hot as balls, but I'm used to working in extreme temps so I can handle it... some people though couldn't like 10 people left the tour while it was going, and a few even left right after it was done without saying a word.
It's not a bad idea when you think about it, but hopefully you get the job!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
07-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Holy crap, there's been almost nothing to do at work for about three weeks now. I'm going nuts.

Old
07-20-2011, 02:58 PM
CT*
WOLF GANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It's not a bad idea when you think about it, but hopefully you get the job!

Well, I got a second interview now, from what I understand that basically means you're hired.

So that's pretty neat.

Old
07-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Ok, it's official, I give up.

I will let those Habs fans loving Gomez. Yea, he is so much better than Bouchard.

Old
07-20-2011, 03:32 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Ok, it's official, I give up.

I will let those Habs fans loving Gomez. Yea, he is so much better than Bouchard.
Don't know why you even bother arguing. It's like trying to tell canuck fans their team dives more than average.

edit. oops.

Old
07-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 50
Today can go **** itself.

This morning I had a tech support call to relocate my DirecTV dish since a neighbors tree has been growing in the way and ****ing with my signal for the last few weeks. So he does that, relocates it to the very top of the roof which is the only place it can go and get reasonable signal now, and then it takes forever (the equipments fault, not his) to get everything all squared away to a point where he can call it a job well done and leave.

So then after that I figure I'll go outside and look at where the dish is. Before it was just barely visible from the street and didnt look that bad. Now its perched right on top of the house like some kind of crown.

But thats not the best part of this day. I returned to the door to discover I had locked myself out, and the spare key I have in my wallet isnt for a lock that I use anymore. So I start walking around, seeing who is home and no one answers their door. The mailman comes by and he doesnt have a cell phone I can borrow. Some lady walking her dog doesnt have a cell phone. And some guy on a bike doesnt have a cell phone. I swear, I must have met the only 3 people in this town who dont have cell phones. Its uncanny. So finally, after what seemed like (and indeed, was) hours, some public utility guys show up and even tho they dont have a cell phone, they have a walky talky. They call in to base and tell them to call the cops or something. A while after that their supervisor shows up and he tells me that the cops said they wont do jack for someone locked out of their house, only their car. Fortunately for me, he finally has a god damned mother ****ing cell phone. I managed to call my girlfriend at work just before her shift ended and get her to come by and let me in. The first thing I did when I got in a while ago was take a shower.

Stuck outside in 90 degree weather and a 100 heat index wearing pants and a somewhat heavy shirt, for over four hours.

**** you world, **** you.

Old
07-20-2011, 07:58 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Saw a guy rollerblading while wearing pants and a wool hat on my way home. There has to be a level of douchebaggery hell for that.

Old
07-20-2011, 08:24 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
Anyone ever work at UPS as a package handler?

Have a meeting with an interviewer/tour or something today, and I guess if they like you enough after that they give you a real interview?
I currently do in Calgary. Load trucks while everyone else sleeps. Pretty ****ty job but it leaves my days/nights/weekends open for whatever the hell I want to do. Good workout as well IMO. Also hear alot is different(for the better) in the US.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Quote:
Saw a guy rollerblading while wearing pants and a wool hat on my way home. There has to be a level of douchebaggery hell for that.
Yeah, it's the layer of hell reserved for idiots who get heat strokes while wearing pants and a wool hat. That guy is gonna get himself a Darwin Award one day.

Old
07-20-2011, 10:56 PM
MNman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Today can go **** itself.

The first thing I did when I got in a while ago was take a shower.

Stuck outside in 90 degree weather and a 100 heat index wearing pants and a somewhat heavy shirt, for over four hours.

**** you world, **** you.
I hope your girl gave you a "let's try to fix this day" gift after the shower

Old
07-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Just found out a place around here has FREE drinks from 9-1030 on wednesdays....like whaaaaaa?

Old
07-20-2011, 11:53 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Just found out a place around here has FREE drinks from 9-1030 on wednesdays....like whaaaaaa?
Hoggsbreath? Oh wait that's Tuesdays

Old
07-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
And he was on skates before he was even two
Only reason why I ever would get a kid would be to put him on skates before he can speak. Preferably he learns to skate, but not to speak.

Old
07-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wow, watching some old clips of All in the Family, that show was way edgier than anything that I've seen on TV aside from Rescue Me and South Park. /netflix

Old
07-21-2011, 11:26 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Caught a bit of the Tour de France this morning and swear that Andy Schleck looks a little like James Sheppard.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

I'm not sure if anyone wants to listen to me complain, but damn it's hard to find a decent job. I am not under the illusion that I will start out with a huge paycheck, but it seems like nobody wants to hire entry level workers. It would be nice to hear back from one of the many places I've applied at since I finished college this spring. I know there's a lot of people in this boat right now, but it's still discouraging.
Sorry for the non-hockey rant.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:14 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I'm not sure if anyone wants to listen to me complain, but damn it's hard to find a decent job. I am not under the illusion that I will start out with a huge paycheck, but it seems like nobody wants to hire entry level workers. It would be nice to hear back from one of the many places I've applied at since I finished college this spring. I know there's a lot of people in this boat right now, but it's still discouraging.
My graduating class at UMD (2008) had an atrocious job placement rate. I had heard it quoted in the news as low as single digit percents. It's a bad time to be fresh out of college right now because there are a lot of qualified people with relevant experience looking for work, or looking to change jobs right now. Given the choice between brand new college grad and a guy with a couple years experience, looking for the same position at the same wage, the experienced guy wins every time.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Oh man, that drove me absolutely insane when I was job hunting...

Nothing worse than taking the time to apply somewhere, only to hear absolutely NOTHING in response. I understand that volume of applications factors in, but it's insulting to not even get a form letter response.

I can commiserate, to say the least.

Keep at it though, there are jobs out there. You just need to either know the right people or get lucky, and sometimes both.

What sort of work are you looking for?

Old
07-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Oh man, that drove me absolutely insane when I was job hunting...

Nothing worse than taking the time to apply somewhere, only to hear absolutely NOTHING in response. I understand that volume of applications factors in, but it's insulting to not even get a form letter response.

I can commiserate, to say the least.

Keep at it though, there are jobs out there. You just need to either know the right people or get lucky, and sometimes both.

What sort of work are you looking for?
I have a BS in geography, with emphasis in urban planing, and the computer end of the business. I'm not sure if anyone here has heard of the GIS program, but that's an area that I would like to get into.

http://www.gis.com/content/what-gis

Old
07-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
My graduating class at UMD (2008) had an atrocious job placement rate. I had heard it quoted in the news as low as single digit percents. It's a bad time to be fresh out of college right now because there are a lot of qualified people with relevant experience looking for work, or looking to change jobs right now. Given the choice between brand new college grad and a guy with a couple years experience, looking for the same position at the same wage, the experienced guy wins every time.
I have heard some horrible stories about this from some of my friends who are in different fields of work.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:48 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Is there any way to volunteer or get some experience?

Old
07-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

Quote:
Is there any way to volunteer or get some experience?
Probably not in the Grand Forks area. It would be easier if I lived in a large metro area.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Temp agency?

Old
07-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Temp agency?
If I could move to a larger area then yes, but most of the temp work here in GF is just cleaning and retail store help etc. I'm not looking to stay here either, but moving somewhere would require a full time job.
I am thinking about using a recruiter/headhunter, but I'm kind of in the dark about how they work.

Closed Thread