Notices

General OT Thread #5: "Demonstration On Popping A Cherry" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I was thinking new, since I don't want the thing to break on me. Strange that PS3's don't backup games like the 360.

I never got the Grand Theft games. I played GTA 4 for about 2-3 hours and immediately got bored. "Go here, do this, talk to this guy, drive around this clunky car, get out and walk for 5 minutes, fight with this crappy control scheme, go here, do this, go here, etc"

Old
06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Saints Row 2 may just be one of my favorite games outside of CoDWaW and CoD4. It's one of those games that's not meant to be taken seriously. It's just fun to go around and just eff things up. Love the cheats too. Unlimited ammo, unlimited clip, and no reload? Don't mind if I do.

And you can't go wrong with a pimpcane that's a shotgun.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I was thinking new, since I don't want the thing to break on me. Strange that PS3's don't backup games like the 360.

I never got the Grand Theft games. I played GTA 4 for about 2-3 hours and immediately got bored. "Go here, do this, talk to this guy, drive around this clunky car, get out and walk for 5 minutes, fight with this crappy control scheme, go here, do this, go here, etc"
While I understand your concern about it breaking, being that you had a 360. As first hand experience of someone that has bought Sony products from the original Playstation, they are not poorly made. All of my game consoles still work. PS1, PS2, PS3, all in working condition and I used to put A LOT or hours into those bad boys and being a teenager I didn't always treat them the best.

At any rate, If I were you I would consider buying a used PS3 and I wouldn't ever consider buying a used 360.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
.At any rate, If I were you I would consider buying a used PS3 and I wouldn't ever consider buying a used 360.
As someone who loves my Xbox, I would have to agree with this. I had to send in my Xbox three times before I just caved and bought a new S-model. Still on my first and only PS3 and it works like a gem.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

My modded box is an original release box. Never once had a problem with it. Granted, Microsoft came out with a faulty product, but I do have to wonder how some people keep their consoles. They're not meant to be in places where they can collect dust, crammed in places with no ventilation, and what have you.

My Live box is one of the newer models, but I never go online anymore anyway. My PS3 is the big clunker model.

I should really start selling off all my stuff. I've got too much gaming crap that just sits around from various venders. If anyone needs nice headsets, I've got my Astros around here somewhere. As well as an old pair of Turtle Beach X3s. Along with about 15 xbox controls.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
As well as an old pair of Turtle Beach X3s. Along with about 15 xbox controls.
HAS to be from college. Am I right? I still have a ton of controllers too. The thumbsticks never seemed to last with those drunk effers.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 620
I originally bought my PS3 in 2007 so it's the older, ginormous model that is still able to play the old PS2 games. I initially wanted it for Blu-Rays and I got 5 Blu-Rays in the mail from Sony after I bought the system (Italian Job, Stealth, Blazing Saddles, Invincible, Transporter 2).

I haven't really been into many games other than CoD, but the one game I love and play all the time when I get a chance is Battlefield 1943. I LOVE that game. Anybody who played Battlefield 1942 on PC should immediatey shell out the cash ($15) for this on PSN or XBox live. Only 3 maps, but surprising how much I keep going back to it.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:40 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
HAS to be from college. Am I right? I still have a ton of controllers too. The thumbsticks never seemed to last with those drunk effers.
Na, just some stuff that I got from tournys, sponsorships, and what not. About 5 or so are modded that we'd use for screwing around in private/practice matches that were given to us by some of our first sponsors.

I never wore down my thumbsticks that bad, but I know one guy who went through controllers like one a month. Have no idea how. I always used the FPS Freeks and I went through them like crazy. But never the controller.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

You can get sponsored playing video games? How did I not know about this? What am I doing with my life?

Old
06-09-2011, 02:53 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
You can get sponsored playing video games? How did I not know about this? What am I doing with my life?
A few years ago, there was a some very good places where you could play other players/teams heads up in wager games. People started building teams and getting sponsors to put up money to compete. Players got a cut, the rest went to the sponsors. That was until these sites were shut down, though... I'm sure there's still something like this out there, but I've been out of playing for over 2 years so I'm out of the loop. You can always go the 1337 route and head to Gamebattles.

Was a lot of fun while it lasted. Our squad was very good and basically allowed us never to have to play in crappy pub games again. Though, you wouldn't believe some of the ***hats you run into along the way.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Though, you wouldn't believe some of the ***hats you run into along the way.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Dragon Age 1 and 2...Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Edit: Basically Bioware is incredible.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Just let a door-to-door magazine salesman in my door. Some kid claiming to work for Atlantic Circulation, Inc. Handed me a pamphlet with points designated for each magazine. He said it was for soldiers.. Right. Wasn't wearing a uniform, didn't have an ID, was dodgy around a couple basic questions.. So I told him outright that I knew it was a scam.

He ensured me that it wasn't, so I called his bluff: "OK then, can you come back in a couple weeks after I get paid? I'm broke right now." He said, "No I can't. We're a first impression-based business and we only come around once." "Is that because you don't want whoever you're talking to to Google your company's name and see testimonials stating that this is a ripoff?" His eyes started wandering around my apartment, slowly looking at all my nice stuff- like my guitars on the wall, TV, games, etc. So I flat out just pointed at the door and told him to get the **** out and that if my place gets robbed in the next year I know exactly who I'm calling. And then he quickly left, saying only "God bless." Luckily I wasn't dumb enough to give him my real name when I introduced myself, yet I was dumb enough to answer the door.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Dragon Age 1 and 2...Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Edit: Basically Bioware is incredible.
Am I the only person on the planet who's not impressed with Bioware anymore?

I loved (and I mean LOVED) KOTOR, but I didn't like ME1 or 2, and the only reason I finished DA1 was because I heard the ending was good (which it wasn't).

I hate their stupid chat wheels. You're either impossibly nice, passive aggressive or the worst, scum of the Earth, ass possible. But they have you believe that you can "craft" this character to some unbelievable degree... No...... You can pick 1 of 3 options, there are SNES games that give you more options than that.....

Their storytelling is usually good, and it was the ONLY redeeming quality for ME1/2 for me. But I just don't enjoy playing their games.

And their big-shots go on rants about how JRGP's are all linear, one-trick pony's? Their games have been using the same "revolutionary innovation" for the last 9 years.

KOTOR1/2 did it, Jade Empire did it, DA:O/DA2 did it, ME1/2 did it... Hell, I think Neverwinter Nights even does it to one degree or another.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
Just let a door-to-door magazine salesman in my door. Some kid claiming to work for Atlantic Circulation, Inc. Handed me a pamphlet with points designated for each magazine. He said it was for soldiers.. Right. Wasn't wearing a uniform, didn't have an ID, was dodgy around a couple basic questions.. So I told him outright that I knew it was a scam.

He ensured me that it wasn't, so I called his bluff: "OK then, can you come back in a couple weeks after I get paid? I'm broke right now." He said, "No I can't. We're a first impression-based business and we only come around once." "Is that because you don't want whoever you're talking to to Google your company's name and see testimonials stating that this is a ripoff?" His eyes started wandering around my apartment, slowly looking at all my nice stuff- like my guitars on the wall, TV, games, etc. So I flat out just pointed at the door and told him to get the **** out and that if my place gets robbed in the next year I know exactly who I'm calling. And then he quickly left, saying only "God bless." Luckily I wasn't dumb enough to give him my real name when I introduced myself, yet I was dumb enough to answer the door.
Wow my aunt said the exact same type of situation happened to her...this must be happening all around the state.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Wow my aunt said the exact same type of situation happened to her...this must be happening all around the state.
It's happening everywhere. Beware. Tug on your heartstrings by talking about soldiers to get their foot in the door. Shameless.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Am I the only person on the planet who's not impressed with Bioware anymore?

I loved (and I mean LOVED) KOTOR, but I didn't like ME1 or 2, and the only reason I finished DA1 was because I heard the ending was good (which it wasn't).

I hate their stupid chat wheels. You're either impossibly nice, passive aggressive or the worst, scum of the Earth, ass possible. But they have you believe that you can "craft" this character to some unbelievable degree... No...... You can pick 1 of 3 options, there are SNES games that give you more options than that.....

Their storytelling is usually good, and it was the ONLY redeeming quality for ME1/2 for me. But I just don't enjoy playing their games.

And their big-shots go on rants about how JRGP's are all linear, one-trick pony's? Their games have been using the same "revolutionary innovation" for the last 9 years.

KOTOR1/2 did it, Jade Empire did it, DA:O/DA2 did it, ME1/2 did it... Hell, I think Neverwinter Nights even does it to one degree or another.
I don't think I hold things to such a high standard as you do (absolutely not saying that's a bad thing at all, just that I am probably more easily satisfied by games) and I thought the storyline in both ME1 and 2 was absolutely outstanding...DA1's story was great adn I was really impressed by the change in combat in DA2 (where you have more control and it's more of a hybrid between button mashing and turn based). I think the world in DA2 is a little less massive than 1 but they improved on combat, graphics, and unexpectedness(?).

KOTOR is prob my favorite game of all time or at least one of them and I can see where you're coming from as everything after that seems like a lesser product but I still enjoy playing their games more than anything else...like I was upset when DA2 was over cause I wanted to keep playing.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I liked KOTOR 1 & 2 okay...but the combat system was horrible. Mass Effect was bugging the crap out of me until I realized it was a cover based shooter and not a run and gun deal, but the story got boring. I got Dragon Age in the mail a few weeks ago but traded it off because of the 360-PS3 transition. Going to get it again.

The dialog is boring. Frankly I didn't play those text adventure games back in the day and I don't want to play them now, even if they have pretty graphics on top. I like action, roaming around the environment, seeing different places, and most of all collecting crap and building up my guy. KOTOR and Mass Effect both had cool environments but they usually shoved you into narrow hallways and you couldn't explore much.

I'm actually pretty disappointed by RPG's in this generation. I loved they hybrids of the SNES era that were a cross between Zelda and Final Fantasy, basically action RPG's. Oblivion, Fallout, and Borderlands were amazing, but over the last six years they are the only good ones around.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:56 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Anyone played LA Noir?

I'm debating on trading some old stuff to grab it, but I'm on the fence. Any other suggestions out there for 360?
What I'm playing now: Need For Speed Hot Pursuit is a lot of fun, especially once you unlock the Bugatti. But it's not quite as good as Burnout Paradise, by the same developer. It was far and away my favorite Xbox game. I've sunk like 80+ hours into it in offline mode alone. It's cheap now, too-- under $20. I've also been enjoying Dead Rising 2 lately. It's a blast, except for the impossible boss fights. Oh, and NHL 11, duh. Still play it constantly; it's so ****ing good. I also finished Portal 2 recently, and if you haven't played the Portal games (first one's on XBLA), you need to. Possibly the best new series of the past five or even ten years. The gameplay is so simple and clever, and the writing might be the best in any game ever.

All right, looking back over my played games list, here are some other games you can probably get on the cheap: Assassin's Creed II was fun and drastically better than the first one. As in, I hated the first one, but the second was a lot of fun. Mirror's Edge was totally unique, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Fun platformer, and pretty challenging if you go for the "no guns for the entire game" achievement. The Saboteur was flawed but pretty entertaining. More fun than a lot of the GTA clones for its atmosphere, and also because you can blow a lot of **** up. Stuntman: Ignition is pretty awesome because it's a totally unique driving game and the sense of accomplishment after you five-star a level is ridiculous. That said, it's so absurdly difficult that I can only really recommend it because you can get it for like $5. Batman: Arkham Asylum is just about the best superhero game ever made. I know there are plenty of shooters out there, but the Gears of War games are a lot of fun in co-op campaign, particularly if you have your P2 on the couch with you, and are worth getting cheap.

Have you gotten any Xbox Live Arcade games? Honestly I've probably gotten almost as much enjoyment out of downloadable games as I have from disc games on the Xbox. You should definitely check out the demos for, in no particular order:
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX is like Pac-Man, at a rave, on speed. Ridiculously great. Way better than the non-DX version, which was still pretty good. Peggle is like if you distilled happiness down into a crack-like powder. This game will send you to rehab. Super Meat Boy. YES. I can't even begin to explain... just look up a trailer. Geometry Wars 2 is the original twin stick shooter, but the sequel is the first game that ever made me care about leaderboards, since it puts the next friend above your high score on the screen whenever you're playing, to taunt you. Scott Pilgrim is great if you liked the books/movie, or if you just like four-player 16-bit beat-em-ups. Castle Crashers is another awesome four-player beat-em-up, but with a gorgeous hand-drawn style. Shadow Complex is ridiculously great. Like, it could easily have been a disc game. Production values are ridiculous. It's a next-gen version of 2D Metroidvania exploring/platforming/shooting games, and it's absolutely phenomenal. Splosion Man was one of the most unique platformers in a while, and really, genuinely funny, too. Bionic Commando: Rearmed is an awesome remake of an old NES platformer where you couldn't jump, but instead used a bionic arm to swing around like Spider-Man. Also if you never played Banjo-Kazooie on the N64, it's a really fun, creative 3D platformer worth checking out on XBLA.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Burnout Paradise was kind of fun, but I got a little bored. Still good gameplay if you buy it used for $10 or so.

Sounds like I really need to try Dead Rising 2 and Assassin's Creed 2. I didn't like either of the first games but if they made huge improvements they could be killer.

Way out of left field, Katamari was a fun game. You literally just roll around a ball picking up things and making the ball bigger while listening to awful Japanese pop. One of the few games the woman liked to do with me.

For XBLA games also Braid and Beyond Good and Evil. Never beat Braid (got insanely hard) but was really cool. BG&E is just fun. Oh and NHL 3-on-3 wasn't bad. And I wrote down a bunch of those games to check out too.

Old
06-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Yeah Assassins II was really good...story in that game is absolutely mind boggling...interested on how the third one will look.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
I don't think I hold things to such a high standard as you do (absolutely not saying that's a bad thing at all, just that I am probably more easily satisfied by games) and I thought the storyline in both ME1 and 2 was absolutely outstanding...DA1's story was great adn I was really impressed by the change in combat in DA2 (where you have more control and it's more of a hybrid between button mashing and turn based). I think the world in DA2 is a little less massive than 1 but they improved on combat, graphics, and unexpectedness(?).

KOTOR is prob my favorite game of all time or at least one of them and I can see where you're coming from as everything after that seems like a lesser product but I still enjoy playing their games more than anything else...like I was upset when DA2 was over cause I wanted to keep playing.
I'll readily admit I've become much harder to please in the last few years. I think it comes with having less time to play games than I used to, and not making as much money as I used to. If I have less than half the time I used to, and have to spend my harder to spend money, I expect a lot - and maybe more than is reasonable.

It's also nostalgia. I remember games from the SNES/PS1 era that I literally played for months - back when I'd be able to put in 30+ hours a week. There's a grand total of one of those this gen (borderlands), and that's largely because of amazing DLC and couch co-op.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
What I'm playing now: Need For Speed Hot Pursuit is a lot of fun, especially once you unlock the Bugatti. But it's not quite as good as Burnout Paradise, by the same developer. It was far and away my favorite Xbox game. I've sunk like 80+ hours into it in offline mode alone. It's cheap now, too-- under $20. I've also been enjoying Dead Rising 2 lately. It's a blast, except for the impossible boss fights. Oh, and NHL 11, duh. Still play it constantly; it's so ****ing good. I also finished Portal 2 recently, and if you haven't played the Portal games (first one's on XBLA), you need to. Possibly the best new series of the past five or even ten years. The gameplay is so simple and clever, and the writing might be the best in any game ever.

All right, looking back over my played games list, here are some other games you can probably get on the cheap: Assassin's Creed II was fun and drastically better than the first one. As in, I hated the first one, but the second was a lot of fun. Mirror's Edge was totally unique, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Fun platformer, and pretty challenging if you go for the "no guns for the entire game" achievement. The Saboteur was flawed but pretty entertaining. More fun than a lot of the GTA clones for its atmosphere, and also because you can blow a lot of **** up. Stuntman: Ignition is pretty awesome because it's a totally unique driving game and the sense of accomplishment after you five-star a level is ridiculous. That said, it's so absurdly difficult that I can only really recommend it because you can get it for like $5. Batman: Arkham Asylum is just about the best superhero game ever made. I know there are plenty of shooters out there, but the Gears of War games are a lot of fun in co-op campaign, particularly if you have your P2 on the couch with you, and are worth getting cheap.

Have you gotten any Xbox Live Arcade games? Honestly I've probably gotten almost as much enjoyment out of downloadable games as I have from disc games on the Xbox. You should definitely check out the demos for, in no particular order:
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX is like Pac-Man, at a rave, on speed. Ridiculously great. Way better than the non-DX version, which was still pretty good. Peggle is like if you distilled happiness down into a crack-like powder. This game will send you to rehab. Super Meat Boy. YES. I can't even begin to explain... just look up a trailer. Geometry Wars 2 is the original twin stick shooter, but the sequel is the first game that ever made me care about leaderboards, since it puts the next friend above your high score on the screen whenever you're playing, to taunt you. Scott Pilgrim is great if you liked the books/movie, or if you just like four-player 16-bit beat-em-ups. Castle Crashers is another awesome four-player beat-em-up, but with a gorgeous hand-drawn style. Shadow Complex is ridiculously great. Like, it could easily have been a disc game. Production values are ridiculous. It's a next-gen version of 2D Metroidvania exploring/platforming/shooting games, and it's absolutely phenomenal. Splosion Man was one of the most unique platformers in a while, and really, genuinely funny, too. Bionic Commando: Rearmed is an awesome remake of an old NES platformer where you couldn't jump, but instead used a bionic arm to swing around like Spider-Man. Also if you never played Banjo-Kazooie on the N64, it's a really fun, creative 3D platformer worth checking out on XBLA.
That's a very elaborate list, greatly appreciated! Though I've played almost all of those, it's a really good list for the 360.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:29 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Have you tried Just Cause 2? Should be able to find it for cheap and it's surprisingly enjoyable. Huge open world where you can do pretty much anything in.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Have you tried Just Cause 2? Should be able to find it for cheap and it's surprisingly enjoyable. Huge open world where you can do pretty much anything in.
Agreed. That game falls in the "Dark Sector" category. An amazingly fun game that got very little love from critics and fans. I paid $9 for Dark Sector almost 3 years ago and still will pop it in every now and then to rock the glave-camera mode.. If you've played the game you know what I'm talking about. Any game that I spend more than 10 hours playing that was under $20 is a steal, IMO. Just Cause 2 and Dark Sector happen to fall in that category. Same with the BioShock games, assuming you waited until they were <$20.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:45 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Ya, I mean, you can't pop in Just Cause 2 and expect it to be this brilliantly designed game. It's one of those things that you throw in and say 'bleep it, I'm going to screw around and have some fun.' It has it's flaws, but the game is fairly smooth and with the map being so ridiculously monstrous, there's so many new places to explore. Hijacking planes and helicopters in mid-air is just a hilarious bonus.

Closed Thread