HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

21 year olds

Old
03-31-2011, 06:53 PM
7ytluom

vCash: 500
21 year olds

I have recently heard from a few people that a lot of the Western Canadian Junior (A and B) Leagues are changing the age limit to 21, Is this true?
I know Alberta Junior B already has 21 year olds, but I never thought any Junior A leagues would add 21 year olds... Are their any Jr. A leagues in Canada that have 21 year olds?

7ytluom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:04 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ytluom View Post
I have recently heard from a few people that a lot of the Western Canadian Junior (A and B) Leagues are changing the age limit to 21, Is this true?
I know Alberta Junior B already has 21 year olds, but I never thought any Junior A leagues would add 21 year olds... Are their any Jr. A leagues in Canada that have 21 year olds?
I don't know about everywhere else but the Junior A and B league we have here in Manitoba allows only four 21 year olds maximum on a team. It's been that way always as well.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
I don't know about everywhere else but the Junior A and B league we have here in Manitoba allows only four 21 year olds maximum on a team. It's been that way always as well.
MJHL, and most other Jr. A leagues I'm quite sure, have the same definition for overage as the CHL, that being you can't turn 21 before the end of the calendar year. So for the 2011-12 season, players born in 1991 are considered overage (can only carry a certain number on the team), anyone born in 1990 or later would be ineligible.

Most provinces have Jr. B or 'outlaw' leagues where there is an extra year of eligibility. To answer the OP's question, I haven't heard anything about the AJHL or any other Jr. A league adding an extra year of eligibility. Would be kind of interesting, as there would be a free-for-all trying to attract CHL players who had used up their eligibility and had no interest in going to university right away.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 06-13-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:27 PM
everett331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
MJHL, and most other Jr. A leagues I'm quite sure, have the same definition for overage as the CHL, that being you can't turn 21 before the end of the calendar year. So for the 2011-12 season, players born in 1991 are considered overage (can only carry a certain number on the team), anyone born in 1990 or later would be ineligible.

Most provinces have Jr. B or 'outlaw' leagues where there is an extra year of eligibility. To answer the OP's question, I haven't heard anything about the AJHL or any other Jr. A league adding an extra year of eligibility. Would be kind of interesting, as there would be a free-for-all trying to attract CHL players who had used up their eligibility and had no interest in going to university right away.
I think the higher you go the more dangerous it could be for the younger players as it would be men playing with boys. At that age there almost no career ahead simply the love of the game. I think there has to be an age and going higher would just cause more injuries to the younger player who haven't fully developed.

everett331 is offline   Reply With Quote