HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next season's roster (all trade, ufa signing, and re-signing discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Gilligans Island

vCash: 500
Next season's roster (all trade, ufa signing, and re-signing discussion)

Probably way too early for this but I'm actually less deflated than in season's past. The Canucks beat the Sharks the same way the Hawks did - overwhelming team speed and aggressive D. DW needs to find a way to counter that. A tweak in the system, add a speedier top 6 fwd and another D.

Best thing like many of us have been waiting for is Huskins and Wallin are UFA.

So, what I'd like to see (and with a view towards reality):
  • Seto signed for 1-yr, $2.25 or a 2-yr/$2.5
  • Find a top 4 dman in the mold of Brent Burns, Weber (too costly/out of reach), JBo (trade Heater??)
  • (Minor deals - wouldn't really care one way or the other): Re-sign Eager (1yr/$1m), Wellwood (1yr/$1m) and White (2yrs/$2.75)
  • Trade or sign a speedy top 6 (or top 9) fwd. Candidates? I don't know much about Larose or Jokinen. I wouldn't mind Higgins on our 3rd line.

Big questions:
1. Can we deal Heatley?
2. Should we re-sign White?
3. How do we add more speed into the top 9 fwd set?
4. What should our top 4 dman be after Boyle, Demers, Vlasic. We need a Coburn, Burns, JBo?? We won't get Staal or Weber.

Edit: 2011-12 RFA draft pick compensation
(offer sheet value (annual cap hit): compensation (2012 draft))

Less than $1,034,249: No compensation
More than $1,034,249 -- $1,567,043: Third-round pick
More than $1,567,043 -- $3,134,088: Second-round pick
More than $3,134,088 -- $4,701,131: First and third-round pick
More than $4,701,131 -- $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick
More than $6,268,175 -- $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third
More than $7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

Last edited by Gilligans Island: 05-25-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old
05-25-2011, 12:09 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Same offense
New Defense

Thanks.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:10 AM
ramstoria

lol. I knew this thread would be here already.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramstoria View Post
It gives people something to think about and look forward to as an alternative to looking for nice bridge to jump off.

Old
4ncea0hark8lways
Rookie User

Everyone else with the exception of Mitchell, Huskins, Wallin, and maybe Heatley.

Old
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramstoria View Post
Sick of this season for some reason. Not just b/c of this loss. Mainly b/c DW never really did much about the D.

Also way too early to tell but I hope the Nucks lose one of (or both) Ehrhoff and Bieksa. That would make my offseason just like how the Hawks got broken up.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Internazionale

Bring back Wellwood and White for sure. Heatley,Wallin,Huskins AND NIEMI have to go. I liked what i saw out of Desjardins and McGinn on the 4th line. Bring in Ferreiro for Mayers and that would be a impact 4th line game in and game out.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:16 AM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

get a byfuglien type for line 3.

have mitchell/desjardin c line 4.

braun/petrecki 3 pair. moore #7.

everything else keep

Old
05-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internazionale View Post
Bring back Wellwood and White for sure. Heatley,Wallin,Huskins AND NIEMI have to go. I liked what i saw out of Desjardins and McGinn on the 4th line. Bring in Ferreiro for Mayers and that would be a impact 4th line game in and game out.
You can't have a 4th line with no veteran presence.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:18 AM
gonegonegone*

as muhc as i like him, heater is not even coming close to that 7.5 contract he has. we need a better defense, we need more money in there, we need another #1 who can dominate play when he's on the ice.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
You can't have a 4th line with no veteran presence.
I want Eager - Desjardins - McGinn as the the 4th line. Solid speed and energy.

I want a top 9 speedy fwd - someone like Higgins (whom I wanted this past offseason) could be a great fit.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
as muhc as i like him, heater is not even coming close to that 7.5 contract he has. we need a better defense, we need more money in there, we need another #1 who can dominate play when he's on the ice.
As much as I can agree and advocate moving Dany Heatley, I am 99% sure that it is not going to happen. 7.5 mil plus an NMC? Who would be willing to take him in general, much less that team be a team Dany wants to play for AND how the hell are we going to not take back what we sent out when we first got him anyway.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:21 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
try to rid ourselves of Heatley - inconsistent and nowhere near worth that salary.

If I see Huskins or Wallin part of this team next year my head will explode.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
I want Eager - Desjardins - McGinn as the the 4th line. Solid speed and energy.

I want a top 9 speedy fwd - someone like Higgins (whom I wanted this past offseason) could be a great fit.
Ben Eager is not the kind of veteran presence I want on the 4th line. I don't mind him being around as a big energy guy willing to drop them but Jamal Mayers is a good guy to keep around because he played well when he was out there in the playoffs and has by all accounts been good in the locker room especially with the younger pluggers.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
As much as I can agree and advocate moving Dany Heatley, I am 99% sure that it is not going to happen. 7.5 mil plus an NMC? Who would be willing to take him in general, much less that team be a team Dany wants to play for AND how the hell are we going to not take back what we sent out when we first got him anyway.
Well, maybe the Flames for JBo, another overpaid player? I'd consider that. JBo would be a solid #2 and pretty good shutdown dman. Wouldn't be subjected to the harshness of Canadian media.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:23 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Well, maybe the Flames for JBo, another overpaid player? I'd consider that. JBo would be a solid #2 and pretty good shutdown dman. Wouldn't be subjected to the harshness of Canadian media.
JBo is horrendous. HORRENDOUS!!!! HORRENDOUS!!!!

Old
05-25-2011, 12:23 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Ben Eager is not the kind of veteran presence I want on the 4th line. I don't mind him being around as a big energy guy willing to drop them but Jamal Mayers is a good guy to keep around because he played well when he was out there in the playoffs and has by all accounts been good in the locker room especially with the younger pluggers.
Sure, Mayers would be fine. Bit worried that he's getting up there in age and not as tough as Eager. A Brad Winchester would be good on the 4th line. We'd just want someone tough there so Clowe or Murray wouldn't have to be the tough guys to drop the gloves.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:24 AM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
everywhere says he doesn't have an NTC. i don't know who or what we could trade him for though. might just do it for the salary dump. as i recall, his actual contract is pretty low the last few years. we have to go HARD after one of the UFA dmen. bieska likely will be a huge target. DW loves guys that beat us.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
everywhere says he doesn't have an NTC. i don't know who or what we could trade him for though. might just do it for the salary dump. as i recall, his actual contract is pretty low the last few years. we have to go HARD after one of the UFA dmen. bieska likely will be a huge target. DW loves guys that beat us.
How much would we pay for Bieksa? I think it'd take $5m per for 4 yrs to get him here. Imagine that. Zero sum pain to the Canucks.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:27 AM
WSS11

vCash: 772
hey at least there is a big list of dmen for DW to go after come July 1st........ http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2011-n...icted/#Defense

hahahaha, i know i know silly me, he's probably just gonna re-sign huskins and wallin and go on about how hard good experienced dmen are to come by these days.... hurray cup experience!

Old
05-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Lockout Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post
get a byfuglien type for line 3.

have mitchell/desjardin c line 4.

braun/petrecki 3 pair. moore #7.

everything else keep
I don't think Petrecki is ready, thought I can't say I watch him enough.

I think they let Nichol and Wallin go, other than that I'm interested to see how much this team changes.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Sure, Mayers would be fine. Bit worried that he's getting up there in age and not as tough as Eager. A Brad Winchester would be good on the 4th line. We'd just want someone tough there so Clowe or Murray wouldn't have to be the tough guys to drop the gloves.
Mayers is not as imposing as Eager but he is certainly as tough as him. As much as most people like to bag on Mayers, he plays the role exactly how you want a guy to do so. Ideally, your 4th line has a fighter, a veteran, and a young spark plug. If two of them can effectively kill penalties, that's even better. Mayers is one of those killers. I'm hoping either Desjardins or McGinn can be molded into a killer. I really like McGinn's energy and if he can be made to focus more, he'd make an effective killer with his speed.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Minicoop831

How about we get a assist coach that can teaches our players how to pass, and bring a different philosophy to the PP. The sharks passing on the power play is way to slow it makes the play to predictable and easy to stop.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Capgeek has him with an NMC. Nobody ever substantiated the THN story of the clause being dropped. Pollak did confirm it but never followed up and when I asked him about it, he said he got mixed information. Until I hear otherwise, the CBA has clauses follow the player through trades.

And even if he didn't have the NMC, I find it very difficult that DW would move him after all the effort he gave to make it happen plus the fact that the market for him likely includes a lot of cap dollars returning for much less statistical quality than we get out of Heatley now.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Le Rosbeef

Dany Heatley won't get traded. We might as well start from that point and move forwards people - why would (A) SJ 'force out' guys on a NMC after they reach the conference finals? (and (B) Heatley waive?... he's got it good). It would be a PR disaster - not happening at all, so best to accept it and move on rather than moan...

Biggest trade bait for me has to be Clowe. It depends whether Mashinter can come up and play on the 4th line. Him or Setoguchi look like pieces that could be used for a deal to get a better blueline presence... You have to give something of value and Clowe is coming off a decent year buut he looks the most replaceable skill set right now...

Closed Thread