HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next season's roster (all trade, ufa signing, and re-signing discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2011, 01:18 PM
matt trick

vCash: 500
I think Burns could be available, especially at the deadline if they've struggled to get him signed. However, he would cost a premium. They need young scoring forwards, but at the deadline, something like 1st+Coyle/Doherty/Setoguchi may interest them. I do think they could use Heatley, but it would likely have nothing to do with Burns.

Old
05-26-2011, 01:59 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Just stopping in as a Wild fan. Seeing as how you guys are discussing Burns, I'll give you my two cents about the situation from a Wild perspective. Hopefully I can give you a bit of an idea, considering San Jose is likely a team that will come up in Burns talks until he is (hopefully) re-signed.

For the first half of the season last year, Burns got off to a torrid pace. He was on the stat sheet almost nightly and played excellent defense. As we Wild fans have seen from Burns, he's going to have that gaff or two almost nightly. It may be a poor decision to pinch, one too many moves made in the defensive zone, or what have you. But it will generally show up. We've lived with that through his development because the talent and ability to change a game is certainly there. That first half of the year, he looked like a legitimate Norris caliber player in both ends.

Fast forward to the Wild's play down the stretch, nothing went right. The team was playing poorly and with Mikko Koivu out, they couldn't generate much offense. Players started forcing things and their game was compounded. Brent Burns was among the most guilty for this. He was just making inexplicable decisions with the puck.

So this is where the Wild stand today. It's clear as day that the Wild lack scoring. The team is at a bit of crossroads. They've got a few nice pieces but don't exactly have players in the system that can contribute and supplement the team to make a true run. They're in limbo. The fans and owner want to win, but the GM and many fans are also realists. The pieces just aren't there as things currently stand.

Burns is a true fan favorite and has been since he joined the team since day one in 2003. He loves the area and lives here year round with his family (and zoo). Not to mention he's a big name in charity work and local military events. I'm sure this is the place he wants to be. The questions is, can the Wild work something out with him and Sather (an agent the Wild have had a bad history with). The Wild need a lot of help up front and the biggest reason as to why you will, and do, hear his name out there is because Burns is that one big chip the Wild do have to acquire that.

As for what it would legitimately take for the Wild to move him, I honestly could not say. I don't think they'd be interested in a package deal. I think they'd want a player who's just entering his prime that has true scorer upside. And like defensemen with the skill set of Brent Burns, those players just aren't moved all that often.

If it were me, I'm obviously a big fan of his, there's just really nothing out there outside of unobtainable names that I would feel comfortable trading him for. I just think if they were to trade him, I couldn't help but feel we'd look back a few years at the trade and just shake our head while looking at what Burns has become.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Los Tiburones

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

As for what it would legitimately take for the Wild to move him, I honestly could not say. I don't think they'd be interested in a package deal. I think they'd want a player who's just entering his prime that has true scorer upside. And like defensemen with the skill set of Brent Burns, those players just aren't moved all that often.
That player would be Setoguchi. Past 3 seasons... 20 goals twice and 30 goals once. 24 years old. 8th overall pick in his draft year. If you're looking for more than that, you're looking for Patrick Kane. I think we all agree that it would take more than Setoguchi, but I don't see why he wouldn't be the start.

Old
05-26-2011, 02:38 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Tiburones View Post
That player would be Setoguchi. Past 3 seasons... 20 goals twice and 30 goals once. 24 years old. 8th overall pick in his draft year. If you're looking for more than that, you're looking for Patrick Kane. I think we all agree that it would take more than Setoguchi, but I don't see why he wouldn't be the start.
Just seems to me they would want a big name player, which would be Heatley, but if not I'd be fine with sending Seto+ for Burns

Old
05-26-2011, 02:39 PM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Tiburones View Post
As a realist, we have to start with Couture to entertain any idea of picking up Burns

Old
05-26-2011, 02:50 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I just don't think the team could sell Seto as the big piece that they returned for Burns to the fan base. I do like him, but he'd be in a vastly different scenario in Minnesota. I'd personally be worried about whether or not his production would carry over. If he were to have built on the 30+ goal season, I think we're talking about something completely different. But if that were the case, he'd probably be a guy you all wouldn't want to see moved.

Anyway, a bit off-topic, but is Stalock penciled in as the Sharks back-up next year? Just curious as to where he stands. Played against him in high school quite a bit (he was on one of our rival teams). He was a solid goalie back then, but never figured he'd progress this far. Good for him.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Every year players become available that no one thinks were. It's just speculation.
I think there is a difference between "speculation" and "fantasy". Talking about Burns falls into the "fantasy" grouping as there should be no way DW is dumb enough to give up the assets. "Speculation" should at least have a bit of a basis in reality, like looking at each teams needs and importance of certain players to them.

And yes, every year players become available that no one expected. And yet those players have almost never been acquired by San Jose. And the ones that were (like Selanne) weren't acquired by DW.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:09 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I just don't think the team could sell Seto as the big piece that they returned for Burns to the fan base. I do like him, but he'd be in a vastly different scenario in Minnesota. I'd personally be worried about whether or not his production would carry over. If he were to have built on the 30+ goal season, I think we're talking about something completely different. But if that were the case, he'd probably be a guy you all wouldn't want to see moved.

Anyway, a bit off-topic, but is Stalock penciled in as the Sharks back-up next year? Just curious as to where he stands. Played against him in high school quite a bit (he was on one of our rival teams). He was a solid goalie back then, but never figured he'd progress this far. Good for him.
As of right now no. Niitty is still on contract for another season, though we hope to see him moved. Stalock had a season ending injury (severed nerve) and though he should be ready to start the season, he will likely be in the AHL next season. Sharks could re-sign Greiss, or sign another cheaper backup that may be available.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:11 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I think there is a difference between "speculation" and "fantasy". Talking about Burns falls into the "fantasy" grouping as there should be no way DW is dumb enough to give up the assets. "Speculation" should at least have a bit of a basis in reality, like looking at each teams needs and importance of certain players to them.

And yes, every year players become available that no one expected. And yet those players have almost never been acquired by San Jose. And the ones that were (like Selanne) weren't acquired by DW.
What?

Joe Thornton
Dan Boyle
Dany Heatley

I think those players are actually pretty regularly gotten by DW.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:14 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:

the Niittimaki situation is tough to predict. $2MM for a backup is not recommended. if he can be dumped elsewhere, Stalock, Griess, Sateri or another goalie would be a sure bet for the backup role.

Stalock came up last season when Niitty got hurt, and he looked great. unfortunately, he was badly injured. his status for the start of next year is uncertain. his future is in doubt. we have great goalie depth, and he could be passed up by Sateri, JP Anderson, or Griess quickly. last year, i thought he was the goalie of the future, but who knows now..

Old
05-26-2011, 03:14 PM
rideaucrusher21

Quote:

JOE THORNTON

Your bias against DW is pretty obvious. He's made some decent trades.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:19 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Oops posted this in the wrong thread but, what about trying to get Suter? They need forwards and Suter is a very good dman.

Nashville probably wouldn't try to move him but does he fit our needs?

Old
05-26-2011, 03:21 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Oops posted this in the wrong thread but, what about trying to get Suter? They need forwards and Suter is a very good dman.

Nashville probably wouldn't try to move him but does he fit our needs?
Does one of the best d-men in the league fit our needs? Yes, yes he does.

Suter is a top 10 guy in the league. To get him you are talking about moving major, major, pieces.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:25 PM
ThorntonFan19

I liked the Heatley trade at the time, but right now im not so thrilled with him. We need to get faster and imo it starts with replacing Heater with a faster player. I agree with others that Leino would be a great candidate. If we could somehow dump Heater, I would certainly overpay for a guy like Leino.

I also think that a huge problem is a lack of a #2 defenseman. If Burns is on the market, I truely hope the sharks put a solid effort into getting him. Im not too familiar with what the Wild would want, but I would dangle Braun+Fierrero+1st '12 and see if they bite. Pair Burns with Vlasic and I think we have a solid shutdown pair.

This would give us a roster like this:

Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi
Clowe-Couture-Leino
Wellwood-Pavelski-Mitchell
Mcginn-Desjardins-Mayers

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Burns
Petrecki-Demers

Niemi
Stalock

Old
05-26-2011, 03:29 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Thanks for the heads up on Stalock guys.

If there's ever a conversation going on with Burns or anything like that, feel free to stop on over to the Wild sub forum and post. We may have a reputation around here as not having any members, but that's not exactly true anymore. (Still, about half of us are dup GopherState accounts.)

Old
05-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
What?

Joe Thornton
Dan Boyle
Dany Heatley

Yeah, I didn't think of JT. But the other 2 were widely known to be available. Which was the point I was making. DW has rarely pulled off a surprise trade. JT was probably the only one, and by all reports JT fell into his lap (credit to him for getting JT though).

Old
05-26-2011, 03:35 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't think of JT. But the other 2 were widely known to be available. Which was the point I was making. DW has rarely pulled off a surprise trade. JT was probably the only one, and by all reports JT fell into his lap (credit to him for getting JT though).
At this point in the off-season they were as untouchable as you say Burn's is now is all I'm getting at. Unexpected stuff happens, Burns certainly might not be available, but someone of his caliber may be and he's certainly a candidate.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:47 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
What?

Joe Thornton
Dan Boyle
Dany Heatley

Well, only Thornton fits the bill there. Boyle, Heatley, Campbell; everyone knew they were available.

That is generally the case with most trades.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:54 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Well, only Thornton fits the bill there. Boyle, Heatley, Campbell; everyone knew they were available.

That is generally the case with most trades.
We knew Boyle was available once the word came out of the issues with management, but that was not at this point in the off-season, same with Heatley. Same thing could happen with almost anyone.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:01 PM
SJeasy

Sry10,
What is your take on whether they attempt to retain Huskins and Wallin? My take is that Huskins is gone but I am up in the air on whether they try to hold Wallin. It isn't about what I want (both gone), but is about the likelihoods.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:04 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Some thoughts from clean out ...

White would LOVE to be back next season.

Wallin would like to be back, but understands the business and will head home to Sweden for the summer (after kids get out of school in mid June) to see what his future might hold.

Yawney said that a head coaching position is always in the back of your mind, but there's no hurry (and still stuff left to do with Sharks). There are six vacancies at the moment.

Didn't have a chance to chat with McLellan (he was racing off to airport).

Desjardins is hoping his only hockey time in Massachusetts is to play the Boston Bruins.

Mashinter indicated he'd be back in about six weeks for development camp. I've heard they're expecting 40 players.

Greiss was (goalie calm) nonchalant about his future.

Hahn has put his bathrobe in mothballs.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Does one of the best d-men in the league fit our needs? Yes, yes he does.

Suter is a top 10 guy in the league. To get him you are talking about moving major, major, pieces.
I sincerely doubt anyone is going to pay the price necessary to procure Burns during the off-season. Right now, I think a fair trade would be Setoguchi, Braun, and a 1st. The problem is that he's a rental at this stage and trading anything more than that requires the ability to re-sign him and since that can't happen until after 7/1, I would expect DW to have made his decision(s) by then. It's a fool's errand for DW to wait for free agency to solve his problems.

He either gets it done at the draft through a trade or waits for the deadline...where Burns might be had for Seto and a 1st.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:25 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I sincerely doubt anyone is going to pay the price necessary to procure Burns during the off-season. Right now, I think a fair trade would be Setoguchi, Braun, and a 1st. The problem is that he's a rental at this stage and trading anything more than that requires the ability to re-sign him and since that can't happen until after 7/1, I would expect DW to have made his decision(s) by then. It's a fool's errand for DW to wait for free agency to solve his problems.

He either gets it done at the draft through a trade or waits for the deadline...where Burns might be had for Seto and a 1st.
Seto and a 1st just sounds like too much to give up for a player you can only have for a few months. No matter who that player is.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Los Tiburones

Sharks post-season injury list is out. Sharks were dropping like flies, and a lot of the performances make sense... Among other things, Heatley apparently had a broken hand and ankle sprain.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:40 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Some thoughts from clean out ...

Yawney said that a head coaching position is always in the back of your mind, but there's no hurry (and still stuff left to do with Sharks). There are six vacancies at the moment.
Oh god please please please someone offer him a job!

Closed Thread