HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next season's roster (all trade, ufa signing, and re-signing discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2011, 01:53 AM
gonegonegone*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I am really against JBo, personally. He has proven that he has zero intensity when it matters. He has been a failure in Calgary. I can already imagine the failure of JBo-Vlasic shutdown pairing - all pokechecks, no hits.

But I do agree that it would be the only way to move Heater. I don't think it will be beneficial to either team though.
change of scenary coudl be good for both players, and thus both teams. jbou at one point was considered a top 10 dman (and certainly is paid like a top 3), so if we do get him, and he plays to his potential, then we just locked up a #1 dman along with boyle.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:54 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
change of scenary coudl be good for both players, and thus both teams. jbou at one point was considered a top 10 dman (and certainly is paid like a top 3), so if we do get him, and he plays to his potential, then we just locked up a #1 dman along with boyle.
Kaberle was considered as good as Boyle playing for a bottom feeder like Toronto. Look what happened to him in Boston. Same with JBo playing for Florida and now Calgary.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:56 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Mitchell brings nothing to the table other than speed. He got a jolt from playing with skill guys in Wellwood and Pavelski, but his job could be done by someone making half his salary.

Sign Mayers to 700K, trade Mitchell for a pick and sign Wellwood to Mitchell's salary.
It was like Mitchell found just enough at the end of the season to earn the #9 spot. He was seriously puckhunting, playing smart. Speed alone won't do it. For whatever reason, he lost that little bit as the playoffs progressed and became that $700k guy. His role needs to be done by someone who plays like a $1.5mil guy.

On Leino, he is a Datsyuk Jr. or Wellwood on steroids. Clowe is the second best on the team next to Thornton for controlling the puck on the boards and creating time/space for linemates. Losing him would create a huge hole.

Thanks for the names Jonny,
Erik Cole exactly, better than Seto for that role.

Tomas Fleischmann, not strong enough on the stick, pass.

Brooks Laich exactly and brings some puck control and net presence.

Jussi Jokinen, just say no.

Chris Higgins, Mitchell on steroids, maybe.

Max Talbot, Mitchell on steroids, maybe.

Marcel Goc, not really. Does what Clowe does but much less well. More suited to a trap and transition team.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:00 AM
masterofallxix

I don't see any reason why some are saying we should try to trade Clowe. TM said he was hurt the entire playoffs. If that was the case...Clowe played incredible in the playoffs even injured. If he got injured midway through the Wings series...well you can't really complain since he gutted it out and still played pretty well and scored some goals in the WCF. He's definitely one of the team's leaders, which is why he has one of the "A's". He's also the only power forward, with skill, that we have (minus Jumbo). I personally think he's untouchable.

With that said...I really don't know if I want the Sharks to get rid of any of their top 9. I mean, if anything, we could get another solid replacement and top 4 defenseman for the salary of Heatley through FA if we can trade him...but I'm not so sure if it'll be that easy to. Plus, I don't see Heater playing/scoring any worse than he did this year. It was his worst offensive season in his career! Unless he's going down Cheechoo's path...I'd like to think he'd get back on track next season.

I feel like if we can find a way to get rid of Niitty...get rid of Wallin, Huskins, and White...we can save somewhere around 9 million bucks. That can easily give us more than enough money to resign Seto, sign a legit top 4 D...and bring up Braun full time.

PS...any chance Petrecki and/or Doherty get a chance next year ala Demers and Vlasic??

Old
05-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Kitten Mittons

If we can get Max Talbot, I will be the happiest man on Earth. Dude is so freaking awesome. But I don't see him not resigning with Pens.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Gilligans Island

So for top 6/9 fwds, Laich, Cole, Higgins, Talbot or Leino should be our UFA targets? I'll have to see what other teams think they're chances are/likelihood of in re-signing them.

On D, well, if Heater-Jbo deal is possible, take it. Otherwise, gun for Bieksa hard. Maybe Brewer. Pass on Joni Pitkanen.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Gilligans Island

Guys, Talbot's not a UFA. Has 1 more year left according to Capgeek.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Guys, Talbot's not a UFA. Has 1 more year left according to Capgeek.
Look at it again.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:11 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Look at it again.
Ah sheeeit, looked at the wrong column. Grab him! He's a warrior from what I recall.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:13 AM
gonegonegone*

lol anyone else here cynically amused that we sharkfans get to go back to wat we do best - armchair GMing?

Old
05-25-2011, 02:15 AM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

Quote:
Ah sheeeit, looked at the wrong column. Grab him! He's a warrior from what I recall.
Exactly. Talbot's all blood and guts. And he would turn DW on with that Stanley Cup Ring .

Old
05-25-2011, 02:17 AM
Gilligans Island

LeBrun's take on what we need to do this offseason - I think he's been reading this thread!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...rre&id=6586178
Quote:
First and foremost, the challenge for GM Doug Wilson is to improve his blue line. The speedy Canucks exposed his defense in this series. Boyle and Murray hung in there, but after that it was slim pickings. The injury to Jason Demers hurt, but the fact is the Sharks need to prioritize adding a top-four blueliner in the offseason. Look, we know they don't grow on trees, but that's a glaring need on this team.
Quote:
Up front, the Sharks have to figure out what to do with Dany Heatley. His back-to-back 50-goal seasons in Ottawa seem like eons ago, his goal production has slipped dramatically and his inability to keep up with the playoff pace is a stunning reality. Heatley has three more years left on his deal at a $7.5-million cap hit. Heatley needs to have one of the hardest-working offseasons of his career, because three goals in 18 playoff just games doesn't cut it.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:17 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Effectively from my eval of Jonny's list and the other odd names, they need F1s first and F2s second. They need to do better than Seto and Mitchell at F1. They need someone beyond Thornton and Clowe to do F2 and not try to pigeonhole Pavs into that role because he isn't that good at it. They have plenty of guys even without Heatley who can shoot really well (Couture, Marleau, Pavs, Seto).

Old
05-25-2011, 02:21 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

vCash: 50
Heatley & Petrecki for Briere & Coburn. DO IT.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

I will cream in my pants if we are able to sign Ville Leino. I love the guy and would love him on our 3rd line. DO IT DW.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:59 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkway Drive View Post
I will cream in my pants if we are able to sign Ville Leino. I love the guy and would love him on our 3rd line. DO IT DW.
I suspect that he is going to get a payday that acknowledges that he is a second line player ($3.5mil or higher).

Old
05-25-2011, 03:04 AM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I suspect that he is going to get a payday that acknowledges that he is a second line player ($3.5mil or higher).
id rather pay him that money than seto.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:07 AM
Gilligans Island

If Leino has equivalent speed as Seto and is more consistent game in and game out, trade Seto for a TWD and sign Leino (or do it in reverse).

Seto should fetch a decent top 4 dman.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:12 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
If Leino has equivalent speed as Seto and is more consistent game in and game out, trade Seto for a TWD and sign Leino (or do it in reverse).

Seto should fetch a decent top 4 dman.
Lose Seto and lose chip and chase if you get Leino. Leino will not do F1. If you lose Seto, you need a Cole, Laich, etc. Leino is a beast of an F2, he would give Clowe a run for his money.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:15 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Lose Seto and lose chip and chase if you get Leino. Leino will not do F1. If you lose Seto, you need a Cole, Laich, etc. Leino is a beast of an F2, he would give Clowe a run for his money.
Got it. Different types of players. Whenever I see Flyers games, Leino always seems to be around the puck. In that case, if he's faster than Clowe, deal Clowe for a top 4.

Of course, Heater would be the #1 trade bait but I'll assume we can't.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:20 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Got it. Different types of players. Whenever I see Flyers games, Leino always seems to be around the puck. In that case, if he's faster than Clowe, deal Clowe for a top 4.

Of course, Heater would be the #1 trade bait but I'll assume we can't.
He's strong on the puck and not big on contact. He won't puck hunt although he might be fast enough. His passing is superb and he has quite a bit of dangle.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:44 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Gotta get Heatley off the books ... that should be the priority. (is that NMC void or not?)

re-signing Eager and Wellwood would be fantastic. Eager was an idiot in the playoffs, but is excellent in the regular season. Wellwood is a no brainer.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:49 AM
TexasShark

If the flyers are going to go hard for a goalie in the offseason (as reported), they will have to move some cap $$ to do it. Coburn could be a target in that situation and they likely would be looking for low $ players or picks

Old
05-25-2011, 04:00 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Getting rid of Heatley and taking on someone like Coburn would be nice, but I can't really imagine anyone wanting Heatley @ that salary even for peanuts..

Old
05-25-2011, 04:44 AM
matt trick

First off: I am in favor of keeping the top 9 (feel we're stuck with Heater), with the possible exception of Mitchell, Niemi and the top four d-men (white is debatable). I'd sign Setoguchi for 2.5 and Wellwood for 1.25 if possible. After that, not sure there is enough room for the type of d-man we need, so I might look to upgrade the top 9 via Leino, Cole, or Sturm.

Regarding Philly and Coburn/Carle/Leino:
Assuming Philly spends 4 million on Vokoun or Bryzgalov, and keeps Leino for 3.25, adds Gustavsson (900k), a $1 mill #5 d-man, and signs Nodl cheap, and gets a fourth line vet for the minimum, they will be at 63.0 with a 21 man roster (no extra forward) after they move Carle. If Bryzgalov/Vokoun wants five, you probably have to move Versteeg or not sign Leino. However, I think Leino/Versteeg and Carle go before Coburn. My money is on him not being moved, but the other three could help us. At 3-3.5 million (which is what Leino's agent supposedly wants), we could certainly find a place for him.

Regarding the goaltending situation. Niittymaki will likely be of interest to teams with young #1s who may not be ready to take over the reins completely. Markstrom in Florida (also have a weaker Clemmensen), Reimer in Toronto (if they don't want to go with two kids), and Mason (ideal IMO) in Columbus seem like good fits. Crawford in Chicago would also work, but those two teams won't be making each other better. I also think Colorado, Phoenix, and Tampa Bay could be interested in him if they can't get one of the big three (including Nabokov).

Regarding the defense: Ian White may very well be the best UFA d-man we can afford, but his size and less than ideal defensive awareness doesn't make him an ideal partner with Boyle, Demers, Vlasic, or Braun, and Murray play on one pairing. At the same time, I felt he was very solid in the playoffs, and he seems to want to be here, difficult to give that combo up IMO. He brings some things we need, but if Demers, Boyle, and Braun are in the line-up, do we still need them? Should we search out a d-man who better fits a pairing with one of these four than White would?

Jan Hejda and Eric Brewer are two free agents who might potentially be better fits.

Also Qualifying offers for our 4th line RFAs:
Desjardin- 550k: done.
Ferrerio- ~700k: done (but could probably get him to take less for guaranteed time).
McGinn- ~741k: done (see Ferrerio)
McCarty- ~605k: done.

Also, Brent Burns will be a UFA next summer. Anything reasonable, get it done.

Closed Thread