HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next season's roster (all trade, ufa signing, and re-signing discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2011, 04:50 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Lose Seto and lose chip and chase if you get Leino. Leino will not do F1. If you lose Seto, you need a Cole, Laich, etc. Leino is a beast of an F2, he would give Clowe a run for his money.
I'd love Laich, but I don't see him leaving Washington. And even if he does, I don't see him coming to the West.

Old
05-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

keep seto for 2.5-3 mill. yes he has bad hockey IQ and inconsistent, but he was still one of the leading goal scorers and a big part of us getting past detroit. when heatley disappeared for almost the entire playoffs and marleau disappeared for almost 2 rounds, you can't blame the guy making 1.8 mill. if we can get an upgrade over him in FA then maybe let him go but that's unlikely.

Old
05-25-2011, 05:11 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I'd love Laich, but I don't see him leaving Washington. And even if he does, I don't see him coming to the West.
.....and if he does he'll cost 4.5-5 million. There are teams (Toronto, Edmonton, Minnesota, Montreal, Florida, Colorado, NYI, Carolina) who are much, much more desperate for talent, leadership, and size in the top 6, Laich adds all three.

Old
05-25-2011, 05:23 AM
D1az

What about the goalie situation? Do you think that the team should move forward with what it has on that front and focus on the defence?

Old
05-25-2011, 05:34 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1az View Post
What about the goalie situation? Do you think that the team should move forward with what it has on that front and focus on the defence?
I think they'll keep Niemi around for one more season at least. Stalock should be ready for full time duty in 2012-13

Old
05-25-2011, 05:37 AM
D1az

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
I think they'll keep Niemi around for one more season at least. Stalock should be ready for full time duty in 2012-13
I haven't honestly heard about him until now. Does he look promising?

Old
05-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
no, hawks won't have a ton of cap space. with sea's new raise plus joey's raise, they'll just about keep their current team with minimal cap space to spare. they have way too much invested in their top 4 defense as it is. they won't be significantly better, at best they'll shore up a spot or two (their 4th line and bottom pair is BAD) but basically what you saw at the end of the season is wat they'll have for next year.
That whopping 2.3 million dollar raise leaves them with 9.8 mil of cap space with 15 players signed if the players go for the escalator which they have every year. I don't know where you get this myth that they have minimal cap space because it is absolutely false. They absolutely have enough to make a humongous impact on their depth. It's also a place we could potentially deal Niittymaki to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Pitkanen, JayBo and Brewer can all take on top qualcomps. Listed in order of offensive skill and are all TWDs. They need to move Boyle away from top qualcomp; it showed in the playoffs.
I agree with Pitkanen. Bouwmeester can move the puck but is not actually available. Brewer is okay but is not a reliable puck mover. He is like Pickles with the puck. If they want to move Boyle away from the top qualcomp, they'll need a Rob Blake clone to play with Vlasic. Going off of what I saw, Boyle had a couple bad defensive plays but a lot of the pressure that was put against him/team during his shifts was due to turnovers on everyone's part and overall poor puck play.

Old
05-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Sharksfan83

Love the guy, but Heaters needs to go. It's the only way to put us over the top.

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Devin Setoguchi ($2.500m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Logan Couture ($1.241m) / Kyle Wellwood ($1.000m)
Marco Sturm ($2.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.366m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.750m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.550m) / Ben Eager ($0.965m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Eric Brewer ($4.000m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Ian White ($2.500m)
Justin Braun ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m) / Alex Stalock ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $61,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,440,001; BONUSES: $587,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $3,559,999

3.5m for a 2nd line RW (Erik Cole?), and just find somewhere for Wellwood. Bring Sturm back cheap for depth scoring + PK + Speed. Im sure he'd be ok comming back to the Sharks.

Let Murray play 16minutes a night and do what he does best. Hit Hard. Let Braun mature and keep White for 1 or 2 years.

Old
05-25-2011, 08:00 AM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
Love the guy, but Heaters needs to go. It's the only way to put us over the top.

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Devin Setoguchi ($2.500m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Logan Couture ($1.241m) / Kyle Wellwood ($1.000m)
Marco Sturm ($2.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.366m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.750m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.550m) / Ben Eager ($0.965m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Eric Brewer ($4.000m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Ian White ($2.500m)
Justin Braun ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m) / Alex Stalock ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $61,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,440,001; BONUSES: $587,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $3,559,999

3.5m for a 2nd line RW (Erik Cole?), and just find somewhere for Wellwood. Bring Sturm back cheap for depth scoring + PK + Speed. Im sure he'd be ok comming back to the Sharks.

Let Murray play 16minutes a night and do what he does best. Hit Hard. Let Braun mature and keep White for 1 or 2 years.

Even if we move Niity, I doubt that Stalock won't be with the big club next year. He's going to need time to rehab the injury and mature, I don't know that backing up is really the right way to do that.

Old
05-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

The difference in the last series was Vancouver's incredibly mobile defense. Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis, and Ehrhoff (though his injury kept him from being his usual mobile self) absolutely killed the Sharks with their ability to join, and often even create, the rush. Their skating also plays a major role in Vancouver's offensive zone play. The Sharks' forwards could handle Vancouver's forwards, but they were simply overwhelmed when the Canucks' defense joined the attack. Obviously, Demers' absence hurt a lot. Boyle and White were the only two defensemen with the skating ability to join the rush and the offensive skills to legitimately cause problems for the Canucks. I'm sure DW knows that, and I have a feeling that he will try to land a high-end, physically-gifted defenseman. Jay Bouwmeester comes to mind, and I could see a package built around Setoguchi being intriguing to Calgary. That said, the Sharks would have to find a way to fit his cap hit in, and that could be a messy process. Not that I think Calgary will trade him, especially to the Sharks, but Bouwmeester would be the perfect fit for this team. He is very similar to Alex Edler in the regard that he is remarkably gifted physically (big and strong with elite skating ability) and has high-end offensive skills that he is unable to use in Brent Sutter's suffocating system, which isn't defense-first, but rather defense-only. Coming to a free-skating and high-powered team like the Sharks would allow him to use those skills.

Last edited by Blades of Glory: 05-25-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old
05-25-2011, 09:09 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

As my upset friend last night told me, Niemi needs to go and he says hell give Nittymaki a chance and see what he can do. Cause Niemi is channeling his inner Nabokov with leaving his 5-hole open like that!

Oh how I would love to see Weber on this team but we now that's not gonna happen!

Old
05-25-2011, 09:16 AM
exchequer

bieksa anyone?

Old
05-25-2011, 09:20 AM
exchequer

raffi torres or ben eager?

Old
05-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Sharksfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJenga View Post
Even if we move Niity, I doubt that Stalock won't be with the big club next year. He's going to need time to rehab the injury and mature, I don't know that backing up is really the right way to do that.
Thats ok, Just anyone who's similar salary

Old
05-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by exchequer View Post
bieksa anyone?
If Vancouver lets him walk, I'd be all over it. He was a game-changing presence. Few defensemen have the ability to change the course of an entire series the way he did against the Sharks. Vancouver will probably have to choose between Bieksa and Ehrhoff, and the fact that Bieksa is right-handed and the Canucks' blueline is lefty-heavy might make them choose him. Especially if the oft-injured Sami Salo retires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exchequer View Post
raffi torres or ben eager?
No.

Old
05-25-2011, 09:41 AM
sharkie88

It'd be nice to get rid of Heatley, Mitchell, Wallin, Huskins, and Nittymaki. Niemi had some bad moments (some really bad) but he also had some really great saves. Fix up the defence and I think he'll be fine. We just signed him, anyway, so we'll have to make it work.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:04 AM
SJSharkz

Send a message via AIM to SJSharkz Send a message via MSN to SJSharkz Send a message via Yahoo to SJSharkz
I'd love to get rid of Heatley but it is probably not going to happen, so at least don't re-sign Wallin or Huskins, unless Huskins takes at least half of what he earnt last contract! I like Desjardins, and McGinn on the lower lines and hopefully my personal favourite Mashinter gets more of a look in, speaking to him a few weeks ago he is confident he will get a decent shot next season! I think Eager played his way out of San Jose as well, maybe they keep Nichol and keep him fresh by giving Desjardins more games? I'd also like to see Wellwood back but only for 1m or under, White if he comes cheap, and move Antero.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:09 AM
sjshrky27

Niemi kept us in this series. I laugh at you people who say he should go.

And Mitchell was a badass this playoffs, just for that Sharks should keep him around alittle longer

Old
05-25-2011, 10:15 AM
WedgeAntilles*

I can't believe so many people are calling for the re-signing of Eager.

Forget the stupid penalties, the lack of production and the fact that Todder benched him more than he played him in the playoffs. All that's pretty bad, but the final straw was much worse

His idiotic reaction after scoring the meaningless goal in game 4 should keep him out of teal forever. One of the (many) things I hate about basketball is the entire league is so self-obsessed that when a team is down by 30 in the 4th, and one of their players makes a nice dunk, he'll preen and prance about like he just hit the game winning shot in OT. It's sickening. "Congrats buddy, now you're only down by 28 with 4 minutes left. How about you get your ass back and play some D"

This is exactly what Eager did down by 5 with a few minutes left in the game. He disgusts me and I'll boo him no matter where he plays...

Old
05-25-2011, 10:19 AM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post

And Mitchell was a badass this playoffs, just for that Sharks should keep him around alittle longer
Wow, seriously? Mitchell was a complete hump in the playoffs. He can't keep the puck on his stick to save his life, can't receive a pass if it's gift wrapped and had almost ZERO production on a line with Pavelski and Wellwood.

Yeah, he's pretty good against the boards but so what. Dump him and move on...

Old
05-25-2011, 10:21 AM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Wait correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Niemi recently sign a multiyear extension?

He's our goalie for the next 3 years at least...

Old
05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeAntilles View Post
Wow, seriously? Mitchell was a complete hump in the playoffs. He can't keep the puck on his stick to save his life, can't receive a pass if it's gift wrapped and had almost ZERO production on a line with Pavelski and Wellwood.

Yeah, he's pretty good against the boards but so what. Dump him and move on...
Agreed with everything you said in both posts.

My preliminary thoughts on next year are about like this at the moment (keep in mind I got two hours of sleep last night so I'm the world is in slowmo today).

Heatley: He has the right mentality, he was working hard and trying to play his best hockey when it mattered. However, I believe the game has simply passed him by. He does not and never has fit in well here. He hasn't performed up to expectations paired with any of our centers (including one of the best in the league, JT) and he certainly cannot carry his own line. Best thing for the Shark's and for Heatley would be to move him to a team looking for star power and offense.

JT: Critics silenced. Good for you JT.

Marleau: Not good enough. You still really cannot afford to move him, especially if your moving Heatley, but he better have been injured because he could have been the difference and he simply wasn't.

Clowe: Have to keep him, clearly injured.

Pavs: Probably injured, nowhere near ready to give up on him either way.

Seto: Had a pretty good playoffs in my eyes. Give him his raise, sign him for a few years, and hope he continues to improve. 3m range.

Mitchell: Move him if you can. I think he will garner some interest from other teams for his play this year.

Wellwood: Re-sign him for Mitchell's money.

Couture: Kid's a bad ass, going nowhere.

Eager: Get him as far away from this team as humanly possible. What an a-hole.

Desjardin: Stole Nichol's 4th line center spot imo.

Mayers: I would be ok with re-signing him. I like what he brings to the 4th line against certain teams. Can't fight for ****, but that doesn't really concern me too much. Take him or leave him.

Mcginn: Re-sign him for less and give him Eager's spot. Brings everything Eager brings with less stupid.

Boyle: Needs to play less minutes. Needs to be put into a position to succeed and Douglas Murray is not providing that. Shark's priority should be to bring in a player that provides relief for Boyle.

Vlasic: Thought he finally advanced his game after being plateau'd for a few years. Has a ways to go, but I'm happy to have him on the team.

Demers: Stud, big year for him next year.

Murray: Toughest call on the team in my eyes. Love the guy, but he needs to play less minutes in a more effective role. If a pairing can't be found that works might be worth using as part of a trade for an upgrade.

Wallin: Shoo.

Huskins: Cya

Braun: 3rd pairing next year, not much doubt of that.

Niemi: Had his ups and downs, but he was good enough. Put a faster, more defensively capable team in front of him and he'll win us a cup.

Niitty: Just don't need him. He played admirably when called upon, but I'd rather use his roster spot and cap space giving Greiss his shot, or Stalock, etc.

My goal for the offseason as far as new blood would be along these lines:

1) A top 2 defensemen to provide relief for Boyle. Burns or Weber would be ideal, but likely unobtainable. Shark's might need to settle for a guy like Jbo, though I'm not a big fan of his.

2) I would like to see the Shark's focus their offensive moves on shifting to a faster attack system. Less passing and more driving with the puck. A guy like Leino would be ideal, but just along those lines.

3) Figure out a defensive system that works, consistently, and stick to it. Our defense was incredibly inconsistent this season, and that was not simply a personnel problem.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:57 AM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
They signed Niemi to a four year extension earlier this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1az View Post
I haven't honestly heard about him until now. Does he look promising?
He had a season-ending injury. He might not be ready for the start of next season.

Old
05-25-2011, 11:02 AM
ramstoria

ok... here we go. initial thoughts on the roster less than 24 hours of having my heart broken.

I just want to get this out of the way, because I'm sure it will be something that people talk about for the next 4 months. KEEP PATRICK MARLEAU.

Let's see, he led the team in points and goals this year, led the team in goals last year and was 2nd in points, and the year before that. Not to mention since the lockout he's averaged over 70 points a season, 70! He's top 20 in the league in points, this year (16th) and last year (14th). Plenty of people will point to his "lack of heart" and streakyness in the playoffs, which can be debated (FWIW he's been top 30 in post season points 4 of the last 7 years), but at the end of the day we aren't in the locker room after games and we aren't in his head either. Here's the bottom line; we aren't going to replace Marleau. There's no free agents out there this year that can fill that gap and no one on the roster will step up and fill that void if he's gone. Almost every team in the league would love to have Marleau join their squad, and San Jose fans do nothing but under appriciate him. /rant

Now here's what I want to see this off season.

Trade or Buy out. Dany Heatley. It's going to be difficult to trade him, and a trade may end up hurting more than helping depending on who we get, so a buy out (even with the cap hit) might be more beneficial. Heatley has 3 years left on his deal. I loved his play on the 3rd last this year. I thought he grew a lot as a more well rounded player. That being said, he is the highest paid player on our team. And his performance does not warrant his contract. Unfortuneately (according to capgeek) he has a NTC. So Doug Wilson just needs to tell him straight up that we want him gone and he will be gone one way or another, but he can be traded if he wants.

Don't bother resigning... Ben Eager, Kent Huskins, Jamal Mayers, Scott Nichol, Niclas Wallin. Sorry guys, you're just too old and/or not effective, we don't have the money for your baggage.

When (re)signing free agents I don't want anyone resigned past 2014. Why? Because Heatley, Thorton, Marleau, Pavelski and Boyle all are signed through 2014, it's the perfect year to blow up the team (if we need to at that time) and I think that's pretty much THIS team's window anyway.

Resign Ian White. Loved his play, especially in the post season. I'm thinking a 2-3 year deal with a cap hit around 2-2.5 million. He's not going to be our top 4 (hopefully not!) but he's a huge upgrade on the 3rd pairing over Walling or Huskins.

Resign Kyle Wellwood. He's brought a lot of energy to the team, even if he's had a subpar post season. I can't imagine he would need that much money to resign him for a couple of years.

Resign Setoguchi (for a simlar cap hit). When Seto signed a $1.8m contract I thought for sure it was a hold over until his big payday next season. But his play hasn't warranted the big pay day. He's still very young and can grow quite a bit, but I don't think he hit a Pavelski type level where we need to offer him a 4 year $16m deal like we did with Pavs.

Sign a Top 4 defenseman. Shea Weber would be a dream come true, but I think Nashville would match any offer that goes his way and the Sharks would be hard pressed to come up with the cash to sign him without getting rid of Heatley. Still, if we use the money from Wallin/Huskins we should be able to land a big upgrade at the blue line. Pitkanen, Wisniewski, Montador, hell even Bieska or Erhoff would be an upgrade (I hate saying that). I don't want us to sign an older player like Gill, Salo or McCabe because we need to get this team younger, not older.

Sign a top 6 forward (or two!). This would be to replace Heatley and add depth to our top units. A 20-30 goal scorer would be ideal and there seems to be a good number of them looking at cap geek, I don't want to start throwing names out there quite yet. The Sharks never seem to make a splash on the first day of free agency, but I wish they would this year. Hard to say who we would target given the cap situation, but there are about 60 or so UFA forwards that will be available.

Sign a 4th line center to replace Nichol. Someone under 30 would be nice, but we'll have to wait and see what's available.

Resign Desjardins, McGinn, McLaren, Stalock & Ferriero. A few young RFAs that shoudln't go anywhere just yet and will likely fill in the 4th line for us next year.

Trade Nittymaki. I would love to have him as a backup, but not at $2m. Greiss is more than a serviceable backup and depending on how Stalock heals up he could be our backup for next year.

What we end up with...

Marleau/Thorton/Setoguchi
Clowe/Couture/New Forward
Mitchell/Pavelski/Wellwood
McGinn/Desjardins/New Center/Ferriero/Machinter/McCarthy/McLaren (you get the idea...)

Boyle/Murray
Vlasic/New Dman
White/Demers
Braun

Niemi
Greiss/Stalock

Old
05-25-2011, 11:10 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/?p=5488

LeBrun and McKenzie with "what they'd do" and Spector's comments.

Heatley, Setoguchi, Pavelski among those singled out for criticism.

Question(s) to be answered: how much were those guys, and others on the team, impacted by (hidden) injury?

WRT Stalock... I see him as the next guy (after Nemo) to backstop the Sharks as a #1. How much the injury impacted his game and development are yet to be seen. But the "end of season" vid from Worcester makes me hopeful he'll be pretty much back to form by the start of the season. I'm thinking the plan is he'll dominate in AHL for 11-12 (and get back his form) and then be the designated back up for 12-13, etc. I can see him maybe coming up for back up duty after the calendar turns and Niitty getting traded before the deadline.

With the Sharks goalie depth, I do see the possibility of one or more trades this off season.

Closed Thread