HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next season's roster (all trade, ufa signing, and re-signing discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2011, 01:04 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
I'm not even sure if I want White re-signed. I just put him there for now. I think a left-handed defenseman to pair with Boyle would be ideal. As great as Murray is, I think he'd be better on the third pair, potentially with Braun.
Hejda shoots left, so he could be paired with Boyle.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:12 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Hejda shoots left, so he could be paired with Boyle.
Is he a top pair defenseman though?

I think I saw his name when before the trade deadline, and some people here really wanted him. I really haven't seen much of him to judge whether or not he's a good fit.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:14 PM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Quote:

I think I saw his name when before the trade deadline, and some people here really wanted him. I really haven't seen much of him to judge whether or not he's a good fit.
He handled the other team's top forwards every game when he was in Columbus, so I think he would up to the task. Although I really think we need someone else that can relegate Boyle to a #2

Old
05-25-2011, 01:15 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:

He's not Shea Weber good if that's what you are asking, and on this team and most he's a top 4, but he's a good pairing with Boyle, as he's a defensive dman who is mobile. My guess is the issue some have with Murray paired with Boyle is mobility, thus Boyle's ideal partner is a mobile defensive dman. Hejda fits that bill much much better than Murray, although I think Boyle and Murray like playing together so much that they would lobby TMac to stay a unit even if someone like Hejda comes along.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Huang View Post
He handled the other team's top forwards every game when he was in Columbus, so I think he would up to the task. Although I really think we need someone else that can relegate Boyle to a #2

There's probably 10 guys in the entire league who fit that criteria, and we won't be able to get any of them.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

What's the expected salary cap next year? 62M? 63M?

Old
05-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
Dany Heatley won't get traded. We might as well start from that point and move forwards people - why would (A) SJ 'force out' guys on a NMC after they reach the conference finals? (and (B) Heatley waive?... he's got it good). It would be a PR disaster - not happening at all, so best to accept it and move on rather than moan...

Biggest trade bait for me has to be Clowe. It depends whether Mashinter can come up and play on the 4th line. Him or Setoguchi look like pieces that could be used for a deal to get a better blueline presence... You have to give something of value and Clowe is coming off a decent year buut he looks the most replaceable skill set right now...
No, no, no. Clowe stays.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:19 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
He handled the other team's top forwards every game when he was in Columbus, so I think he would up to the task.
Cool, thanks.

Quote:
He's not Shea Weber good if that's what you are asking, and on this team and most he's a top 4, but he's a good pairing with Boyle, as he's a defensive dman who is mobile. My guess is the issue some have with Murray paired with Boyle is mobility, thus Boyle's ideal partner is a mobile defensive dman. Hejda fits that bill much much better than Murray, although I think Boyle and Murray like playing together so much that they would lobby TMac to stay a unit even if someone like Hejda comes along.
Asking for someone that's Shea Weber good is a little too greedy.

I know Boyle and Murray like playing on the same defensive pair, but I really think Murray's lack of mobility should put him on a bottom pair.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:24 PM
D Huang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
There's probably 10 guys in the entire league who fit that criteria, and we won't be able to get any of them.
Well, not overtake Boyle but at least relieve him. Somewhere between a proven minute eater/reliable defenseman and a bonafide star

Maybe Ryan Whitney perhaps, or Pitkanen

Old
05-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Speed

Both Moore and MacIntyre are on NHL contracts. Based on what I saw this season, neither one of them with help. Stalock will need gobs of playing time so I see him in the AHL most of the year (whenever he's ready). Not even sure if they'll know by September if he's ready or not.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:28 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post
Im likin this Upshall idea. I personally suggested a SJ-Philly trade that had hartnall and Couburn/Carle returning. I dont really know what they want in return though. Picks, cap space?
I think they want a goalie. But, also offense so, a Heatley/Coburn deal might be nice. Don't think it would happen as we'd have to take some more salary back but, it would be nice.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Well, not overtake Boyle but at least relieve him. Somewhere between a proven minute eater/reliable defenseman and a bonafide star

Maybe Ryan Whitney perhaps, or Pitkanen

I don't think Whitney's going anywhere, and Pitkanen is another soft, small defenseman who would be a better fit elsewhere. I think Brewer would be our best bet for your scenario.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:37 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
we must sign at least one defenseman capable of playing top pairing minutes. it will push Murray away from the top competition and make him better. Boyle playing less will make him more effective too.

Brewer - Boyle
Vlasic - Ballard
Murray - Demers

two top-4 defenseman are needed.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
D Huang

I don't think Brewer can do anything that anyone else we currently have can't. I see him as a depth acquisition more or less

Pitkanen is 6'3 210, not exactly lacking in size. He also averaged 25+ min per game this season and would be an instant #2. It doesn't have to be him, just someone that is a legitimate top 2 defenseman

We don't need anymore 3 or 4's, I think Vlasic and Demers proved they are big time in the Detroit series. We just need one difference maker, and we'll be right back in the WCF next year

Old
05-25-2011, 01:50 PM
hockeyball

I think a Heatley move is within the realm of possibility. I wouldn't say it's likely, but I don't think it's out of the question for a few reasons.

Heatley may accept a trade simply because he doesn't like playing on the 3rd line and 2nd power play unit and may himself feel that he doesn't 'fit in' here (as opposed to blaming himself for his numbers going down the toilet). He certainly has the history to back that theory up, it's not out of the question.

It's also still possible his NMC is either invalid, or has some kind of handshake agreement with DW as part of the conditions of the trade as was speculated early on. I certainly could see DW, after the position he saw Heatley put the Sens in, demand the waiver of that clause before he would take on the risk.

Point is, of the big 4 saleries, he's now the ONLY one that makes any sense to move. JT is totally untouchable, as is Boyle. Marleau is even less likely to waive and on top of that we cannot afford to lose his speed and he would be harder to replace.

Let's look at the roster with Heatley intact and the more likely re-signings:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Dany Heatley ($7.500m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Patrick Marleau ($6.900m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Devin Setoguchi ($2.800m)
Kyle Wellwood ($1.500m) / Logan Couture ($1.241m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.366m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.750m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.500m) / Jamal Mayers ($0.600m)
/ Benn Ferriero ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
Justin Braun ($0.875m) / Mike Moore ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m) / Antero Niittymaki ($2.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $61,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,337,501; BONUSES: $587,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,062,499

That's being fairly conservative on re-signing salary and a decent cap increase. It's also not counting any bonuses that need to be paid (like Couture). If you get rid of Niitty and Mitchell and replace them with league minimum players you get:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Dany Heatley ($7.500m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Patrick Marleau ($6.900m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Devin Setoguchi ($2.800m)
Kyle Wellwood ($1.500m) / Logan Couture ($1.241m) / Jamal Mayers ($0.600m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.750m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.500m) / Cameron MacIntyre ($0.600m)
/ Benn Ferriero ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
Justin Braun ($0.875m) / Mike Moore ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m) / Thomas Heemskerk ($0.531m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $61,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,101,945; BONUSES: $587,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $4,298,055

That's really not enough money to make this team much better than it was this season. You can re-sign White with that, but not much else, and keep in mind that's being pretty conservative.

Doug Wilson has seen his team soundly beaten by two teams that overloaded on talent in the off-season two years in a row. It's got to be running through his head that this may be his last chance to do the same and moving Heatley gives him the most flexibility. There certainly are other options, you could look at moving a guy like Murray, Vlasic, Clowe or Pav's, but those are tougher pills to swallow in my book.

He tried desperately to upgrade his D last season and was unable to. He saw the current D still struggle and fail, it only makes sense that he is going to focus all of his efforts this off-season on putting together the best D in the league if he can.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:17 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
I don't think Brewer can do anything that anyone else we currently have can't. I see him as a depth acquisition more or less

Pitkanen is 6'3 210, not exactly lacking in size. He also averaged 25+ min per game this season and would be an instant #2. It doesn't have to be him, just someone that is a legitimate top 2 defenseman

We don't need anymore 3 or 4's, I think Vlasic and Demers proved they are big time in the Detroit series. We just need one difference maker, and we'll be right back in the WCF next year
i dont think we have enough money to pay another defenseman $5MM. we already have Boyle locked up for $6.6MM. look at Vancouver's defense and it's made of lots of #3s and 4s. no one makes more than 4.5MM.

Brewer > Murray in all areas, so thats an affordable and realistic option (since DW loves big bodied defensemen.) Ballard is locked up already, and might be discounted. it's possible DW was looking at him last yr before Vancouver got him.

we dont need high priced guys (Bouwmeester, Pitkanen). $3-4+ MM guys will do wonders for this team. we dont need front line players, just reliable depth guys. not just Brewer/Ballard either it could be other guys that were listed already or guys acquired in trades.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:23 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
What's the expected salary cap next year? 62M? 63M?
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=901649
$63.5m

Old
05-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:

I was referring more to the fact that he plays small, plus I don't think he'd be a good fit with Boyle. Brewer on the other hand is physical, has the defensive ability to cover for DB, and could also help out offensively if need be. Plus I think he'd be cheaper to sign than Pitkanen.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:36 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Really? Wow. That really makes things interesting if true.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:38 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Wel, here's what i think we need

1) physical top 4 D - a younger, faster and better version of Wallin. GIven that this person is added and Huskins and Wallin are gone we could replace 2-3 of the top 6 on D. I really want to re-tool the D to be with more shut down talents, speed with the roster positions we have open from Huskins and Wallin departure.
2) speedy 3rd line center with some offensive ability. Wellwood is just to slow! Overall i like our forwards and don't look a major changes unless we can lose Heater and his cap hit.

NHL assets available - Nitti, Heater, Braun and or Demers

I'd let the UFAs go. I like White and would be interested in keeping him if we had the cap for him, given that we won't i'd want a more shut down/physical addition to D. This depends on the mix of players on D - this mix needs to change!

Resign the Seto/other RFAs

Old
05-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Congrats on the playoff run. It was horrible to see it end the way it did.

One team that could possibly use a guy like Setoguchi is Atlanta.

Would something around Setoguchi for Hainsey be a good start? I'm not going to worry about all the little plus's and minuses (ie, a pick here or there). Would a basis for a deal be there?

Hainsey has a 4.5 million dollar hit for two more seasons. So I don't know all the implications to the San Jose roster for that. But he would be a very good veteran player on the blueline.

Thoughts?

Old
05-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Hey GI, Maybe you can put these numbers in the first post:

2011 restricted free agent compensation

An offer with a $1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation

More than $1,034,249 -- $1,567,043: Third-round pick

More than $1,567,043 -- $3,134,088: Second-round pick

More than $3,134,088 -- $4,701,131: First and third-round pick

More than $4,701,131 -- $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

More than $6,268,175 -- $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

More than $7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Old
05-25-2011, 02:49 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Wel, here's what i think we need

1) physical top 4 D - a younger, faster and better version of Wallin. GIven that this person is added and Huskins and Wallin are gone we could replace 2-3 of the top 6 on D. I really want to re-tool the D to be with more shut down talents, speed with the roster positions we have open from Huskins and Wallin departure.
2) speedy 3rd line center with some offensive ability. Wellwood is just to slow! Overall i like our forwards and don't look a major changes unless we can lose Heater and his cap hit.

NHL assets available - Nitti, Heater, Braun and or Demers

I'd let the UFAs go. I like White and would be interested in keeping him if we had the cap for him, given that we won't i'd want a more shut down/physical addition to D. This depends on the mix of players on D - this mix needs to change!

Resign the Seto/other RFAs
I agree w/ #1 and to #2 I'd like that forward to be a good penalty killer - someone to take time away from Thornton, Heatley, Marleau, Pavs.

As for Braun and/or Demers being available, I think it would be a gigantic mistake to move either of them. Young, cheap top 4 d-men (Demers) are invaluable and Braun is only going to get better. I'm hoping Braun is given every opportunity to play next year.

To make the additions they need to make, they really don't have to lose much salary.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:49 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Congrats on the playoff run. It was horrible to see it end the way it did.

One team that could possibly use a guy like Setoguchi is Atlanta.

Would something around Setoguchi for Hainsey be a good start? I'm not going to worry about all the little plus's and minuses (ie, a pick here or there). Would a basis for a deal be there?

Hainsey has a 4.5 million dollar hit for two more seasons. So I don't know all the implications to the San Jose roster for that. But he would be a very good veteran player on the blueline.

Thoughts?
Hainsey for Setoguchi? child, please.

i wouldnt trade Seto for Bogosian right now.. or i'd at least have to think about it.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Hainsey for Setoguchi? child, please.

i wouldnt trade Seto for Bogosian right now.. or i'd at least have to think about it.
Easy buddy.

numerous articles and people on this thread have talked about possibly trading Setoguchi. There have also been posts that say that a need for San Jose is a stay at home D man.

Setoguchi does not get you Bogosian.

I only asked if Setoguchi and Hainsey could be the main parts of a trade.

Closed Thread